Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-30, 00:12   Link #1
Zaphiel

Soild Anime like Moribito, Kemono no Souja Erin, etc

Hello!

I've just finished Kemono no Souja Erin, and am just about finished Seirei no Moribito and I love them both. I'm looking for some more recent anime along those lines. Minimal clichés, believable characters, solid plot, etc. Stuff like Dennou Coil, Fantastic Children, and Noin.

I'm asking for newer stuff because I've seen a lot of the released, older anime, and I've been away from anime for a couple years.

Thanks!
Old 2010-01-30, 00:22   Link #2
Ansalem
Speaker

I'm not sure how much of recent stuff you've seen, but these are all within the past five years or so. All the stuff you listed was some kind of fantasy or sci-fi, so along the same lines:

Kurenai - About a high school boy who works as a "negotiator." He has been hired to protect a young girl, who has been rescued from her life of seclusion in her vast family manor, the details of which are mysterious.

Planetes - In this realistic portrayal of the near future, a young woman named Tanabe begins her new career as a debris hauler in outer space. Her department in the company is full of goofy employees and misfits, who have great hearts but are looked down upon by the more serious department employees. Her partner is Hachimaki, who despite working in a low-paying job dreams of one day owning his own space ship.

Eve no Jikan - It's a pretty short ONA (only 6 episodes), but explores what it means to be human or android in a futuristic setting, and features a lot of touching characters.

Mushishi - Ginko, an expert on mushi -- small mysterious creatures invisible to most-- wanders ancient Japan, investigating different Mushi that have gotten entangled with humans. It's a very relaxing show, and provides very interesting insights into lives of various people that Ginko meets who have been affected by the Mushi.

Natsume Yuujinchou - This (and its sequel Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou) are about a high school boy who can see spirits. This has made him withdrawn from society, but after moving to new relatives' house, he finds a book of spirit names made by his grandmother, who had the same ability. He begins to make friends, both human and not.
Old 2010-01-30, 00:22   Link #3
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Utawarerumono is a great show that I think you will like.....

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/m...ontent&id=1626

Here is a good list of Romance anime:
http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/m...e=Anime&stat=9
Old 2010-01-30, 00:33   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

Highly recommend Natsume Yuujinchou, ignore the plot description, and watch up until episode 2 at least.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-01-30, 00:48   Link #5
Zaphiel

Holy crap you guys are fast!

Interestingly, I'm just watching Eve no Jikan now. Looks excellent so far!
I own Mushishi and Planetes and they are definitely what I'm looking for.

I will have to try Natsume Yuujinchou, Kurenai and Utawarerumono.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 2010-01-30, 00:51   Link #6
NervZero
RAWR!!!

If you have just recently come back to anime you might have missed Vampire Knight.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ga.php?id=6873
Old 2010-01-30, 01:09   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphiel View Post
Hello!

I've just finished Kemono no Souja Erin, and am just about finished Seirei no Moribito and I love them both. I'm looking for some more recent anime along those lines. Minimal clichés, believable characters, solid plot, etc. Stuff like Dennou Coil, Fantastic Children, and Noin.

I'm asking for newer stuff because I've seen a lot of the released, older anime, and I've been away from anime for a couple years.

Thanks!
OK, so here's the thing - though pretty much all the series you describe are either fantasy or sci-fi, the fact that you ask for "Minimal clichés, believable characters, solid plot, etc." is going to make me recommend Cross Game. Is it like any of the series you listed thematically? No - but it has all of those characteristics you want in droves (and I'm a guy who lists Seirei no Moribito as his favorite series of all-time).

I'll also second Natsume Youjinchuu and it's sequel - I think those will be up your alley.
Old 2010-01-30, 02:12   Link #8
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Ookiku Furikabutte.
Beck.
Kaiba.
Mononoke.
Daughter of Twenty Faces.
Toward the Terra.
Old 2010-01-30, 05:06   Link #9
signorRossi

Strongly second 'Natsume Yuujinchou' (for the heart-warming needs), the last arc of 'Ayakashi - Japanese Horror stories' and 'Mononoke' ( just awesome in every aspect).

Last edited by signorRossi; 2010-01-30 at 09:10.
Old 2010-01-30, 05:29   Link #10
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Vision of Escaflowne
Brigadoon Marin to Melan
Old 2010-01-30, 08:36   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm going to assume you've already seen Twelve Kingdoms, but have you watched Saiunkoku Monogatari? It's also set in a faux-imperial setting that has some similarities to T'ang China. It's a bit more light-hearted than either Twelve Kingdoms or Moribito, but it also has some solid dramatic sequences and an excellent seiyuu performance by Kuwashima Houko in the lead role.

I'm also guessing you've seen Monster; if not, put that at the top of your list.

Other shows you might want to consider aside from those already mentioned include Oh! Edo Rocket, Shion no Ou, Mouryou no Hako, Aoi Bungaku, Bartender, Ghost Hound, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.

Seconds for Kure-nai, Bakeneko/Mononoke, and Daughter of Twenty Faces.
Old 2010-01-30, 11:08   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars is older, but it seems a lot of people have overlooked it. You'd probably enjoy it if you haven't seen it yet.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-01-30, 19:24   Link #13
upiro

Some really good reccs in this thread!

Have you watched Kaze No Shoujo Emily? Based on the novels by L.M Montgomery (author of Anne of Green Gables), it's a charming coming-of-age story. Although not fantasy, the main character has a hyperactive imagination and the rest of the cast have interesting personalities and roles. Character development is great and the setting is quite charming.

Here's an excellent blog which reviews the series (beware of spoilers!).

Last edited by upiro; 2010-01-30 at 19:51.
Old 2010-01-30, 21:05   Link #14
ac3y

Haibane Renmei?
Old 2010-01-30, 22:44   Link #15
NervZero
RAWR!!!

You might want to watch Kaze no Stigma its also a really good show I'm watching it again. And another good show is Gundam Seed but i'm sure you have seen them..

There are some others.. Sorry i didnt give links just type the names in at: animenewsnetwork.com

more shows you prolly have seen but I like to recommend them would be umm..

Kekkaishi http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6806

Shounen Onmyouji http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6703

To end my supernatural kick that i'm on here is my last recommendation although I have never finished this show I have started watching it a few times its kinda funny i think... And has some romance.. Its just to much Ecchi for me..

Inukami! http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6077

These might not be what you are looking for because some of the plots are weak.. But they are fun ones.. I dont know why but I think you might like some of them..
Old 2010-01-30, 23:03   Link #16
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Crest of the Stars is older, but it seems a lot of people have overlooked it. You'd probably enjoy it if you haven't seen it yet.
Seconding.

Crest of the stars and its sequels are simply amazing, the plot and characterization are excellent.

I would also like to recommend Simoun, it's not very talked about but it's one of my favorite anime of all time, the character development is second to none. If you want good characters, give it a chance.
Old 2010-01-31, 01:24   Link #17
NervZero
RAWR!!!

read this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6287 before you watch simoun..

But i must agree with everyone who recommended crest of the stars its one of my fav, anime of all time!
Old 2010-01-31, 15:23   Link #18
Zaphiel

Thanks everyone for recommending so many anime! I've got a pile to watch now!
Closed Thread