Spoiler:
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 14:04   Link #104
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2010-01-08, 16:49   Link #105
tsunade666

okay thanks for the info but for only one person to see. Just to show she's not doing it broad daylight. But the way konoha see it its just......... broad daylight.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 18:11   Link #106
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Let's say it's was just bad ( or good ) luck.
Old 2010-02-03, 17:56   Link #107
kyouray
2D > 3D

Yen Press has acquired the light novel ! yay !
Old 2010-02-03, 19:26   Link #108
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Great new .
But, is it me or they translated titre of the first book sound weird.
Old 2010-02-05, 00:52   Link #109
Thelastguardian

Ughha, pardon me for saying this, but what the funk name is that? "BOOK GIRL AND THE SUICIDAL MIME"? Bloody hell, could they pick a worse name? That's as subtle as a train crash. I know that the particular Japanese words in question have no close English counterparts, but honestly, can they pick a worse name? You could get a better title from Google Translate.

Here's a hint to the publisher: when you say 'suicidal mime', the first thing that comes to people's minds won't be 'now that's a sophisticated name'; instead they would think...WTF?!!! B-grade horror movie?!

Lack of subtlety, check.
Strange choice of words that leads to unintended hilarity, check
Nonsensical Japanese to English translation, check

God, that title alone riled me up instantly.
Old 2010-02-05, 06:01   Link #110
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
Here's a hint to the publisher: when you say 'suicidal mime', the first thing that comes to people's minds won't be 'now that's a sophisticated name'; instead they would think...WTF?!!! B-grade horror movie?!
Honestly,I thought at first than even the original titre in japanese was a little weak.
But it's true than '' fool than wished for dead'' would have sound better than '' suicidal mime'' .
Old 2010-02-06, 03:23   Link #111
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Not a novel reader, but I agree that the name choice for the first book is terrible.

Almost as bad though is the series name. "Book Girl" doesn't sound nearly as funky and sophisticated as "Literature Girl." Doesn't "bungaku" translate literally into "literature" anyway?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 08:17   Link #112
prnoct90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Not a novel reader, but I agree that the name choice for the first book is terrible.

Almost as bad though is the series name. "Book Girl" doesn't sound nearly as funky and sophisticated as "Literature Girl." Doesn't "bungaku" translate literally into "literature" anyway?
Yes, but "book" isn't necessarily wrong either.
prnoct90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 20:46   Link #113
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

They say than'' translators are traitors'' ...
The choice of words is usualy a serious matter especialy if they tried to reach a public larger than the anime fans/ manga readers ( which is probably they goal), as they will have to translate some ambigous word like ''youkai''. If it was the manga , I guess they could keep it untranslated, but for a more '' regular'' book.

As the case of '' Bungaku Shoujo'', ''book girl'' could fit as a translation , but sound rather badly for the title but more on the text as Tooko use it .
Old 2010-02-25, 20:46   Link #114
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
Ughha, pardon me for saying this, but what the funk name is that? "BOOK GIRL AND THE SUICIDAL MIME"?
Wow, that title is epic! It's possibly the best name for anything, ever. When I close my eyes and think about the name, I see cage-fights between Dragon Ball Z and Read or Die characters.

"OH NO! HER BOOK HAS OVER 9000 PAGES!!!"
Old 2010-02-27, 17:47   Link #115
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Wow, that title is epic! It's possibly the best name for anything, ever. When I close my eyes and think about the name, I see cage-fights between Dragon Ball Z and Read or Die characters.

"OH NO! HER BOOK HAS OVER 9000 PAGES!!!"
For myself , the current titre make me think of a cheep B serie movie ( or one made in the 50's ) but for being honest the japanese titre was giving me the same feel than the english one at first.
Old 2010-02-27, 18:58   Link #116
Archmagination2002

I am going nuts right now trying to get ahold of the Baka-Tsuki pdf/translation of this series... nobody seems to have it and please don't mention that horrible indow site. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Anyway the translated title is just a bad translation.. by bad I mean where its technically correct, but uses some of the worst word combinations possible. That makes me very worried about how they will translate the rest of the book since it is one of those series which can be ruined if great care isn't taken in translation.
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 18:40   Link #117
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I was reluctant to post because of the risk of the possibility of this being a ''april fool prank'' but it seem than they will do also 3 OAVs, each focused on a differents girls ( Tooko, Miu and Nanase )of the serie. Given the preview, they seem to use material from the laters novels.
Old 2010-04-04, 13:16   Link #118
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I was reluctant to post because of the risk of the possibility of this being a ''april fool prank'' but it seem than they will do also 3 OAVs, each focused on a differents girls ( Tooko, Miu and Nanase )of the serie. Given the preview, they seem to use material from the laters novels.
This is not april fool. The 3 OAVs are supplements to the theatrical version and they will go on sale throughout the rest of 2010 (6/25, 10/29, 12/24). This series will helluva a long haul on waiting for everything.

As for the later novels, I thought this is based on volume 5 as the main source material but a quick glance at the site I couldn't find anything to support that so maybe I have to check more carefully again (that music's wayyyy toooo sooottthhhiiiinngggg for when I'm sleepy but can't sleep yet @__@).

Trailer does look incredibly awesome though.

EDIT: After watching the trailer it seems they didn't really waste time beating around the bushes and really just went straight to the main plot, and the 2nd part is ... the part I had much ... ambivalent feeling about ... even more so now after watching that trailer.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 17:55   Link #119
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Only at watching the trailer ,I would say the material for the 1st OAV is the 7th/8th novel, for the 2nd OAV, it's the 5th novel, and for the 3th OAV it would be a mix of the 5th novel and some of the shorts stories.

I would say than the 1st and 2nd OAVs might give some answer way too early, at least if they intended to addapt also the others novels.
Old 2010-04-04, 18:12   Link #120
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
The 3 OAVs are supplements to the theatrical version and they will go on sale throughout the rest of 2010 (6/25, 10/29, 12/24). This series will helluva a long haul on waiting for everything.
Yeah, it's part of a new experiment in marketing anime. Basically, the sponsors are using a limited theatrical run to generate word of mouth hype, and then following up with never-before-seen OAVs (i.e. so fans are more compelled to buy merchandise since they haven't watched/recorded the TV broadcast or watched it in theaters).

The idea is to replace TV as a medium for flagship anime projects (too many non-paying viewers, broadcast slots are too expensive, etc.), so if this works out, we can expect many more series to follow a similar model.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, shounen