View Poll Results: DVD or 720p
DVD 8 21.62%
720p 25 67.57%
Don't care, no preference 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-04-14, 21:50   Link #1
dDk

Do you prefer DVD or 720p TV

I'm just wondering with everyone out there. Do you prefer watching the DVD version of an anime (uncensored, slightly better drawings? etc.) or would you prefer to watch a 720p HD rip so the image is much clearer and crisp.

Ruling out there is not BD rips.
dDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 01:47   Link #2
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

It depends on too many factors, so it's not a black and white thing. If uncensored, uncropped and no typhoon/tsunami warnings or other text splashed across the screen, I'd much prefer the HD episode. But since text is commonly shoved on broadcasts, and censorship, crops or just terrible broadcast quality are very frequent problems, DVDs are often preferable.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 02:31   Link #3
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I chose DVDs

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 03:42   Link #4
dDk

Hmmm....

I'm just kinda worried that if i buy the DVDs, the quality is worst than the 720p rips, and i don't even want to watch it =.=
dDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 10:00   Link #5
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Unless its a movie where animation is top notch I would says TV Rip . Some movies and anime can be ONLY truly enjoyed on wide screen TV & best example would Sky Crawlers..
Old 2010-04-15, 10:42   Link #6
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
i wish i could see anime in the movie theater...man((

anyway, i too think it depends on many factors. although on my 17' 720p monitor i've found that 233mb 400p is very much alike to 720p. yeah, call me crazy...
censoring...i care only if blood and gore is sencored. if it is, dvd please. i liked the censoring of pantsu in princess lover original actually.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 16:33   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I wish... I wish DVDs could have an overhaul of their subtitling standards. I prefer DVDs but the subtitle tools available to the least fansubber run circles around the 'standard caption format' of DVDs.

DVDs ultimately edge out over tv broadcasts (HD or not) because the animators have been able to correct all the mistakes, foulups, and "ran out of time again, Shinbo?" issues that plague tv broadcasts of anime.

The best of all worlds is a DVD-rip with fansubbed subtitles from a good group spliced together.
Old 2010-04-15, 16:52   Link #8
wontaek

I prefer DVD version with resolution of about 1024 X 576 as that is the limit of what is possible in my household
Old 2010-04-15, 19:27   Link #9
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I have a line connecting to a 32" HD flatscreen TV and my Monitor is a 21" HD flatscreen in my office. Generally I prefer higher resolution on shows that makes good use of it cause the pixelation on lower resolutions can get annoying.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 00:19   Link #10
Icehawk

This is actually an interesting question. In my case, in the absense of a blu ray release, and assuming the 720p TV version has lots of noticeable flaws that were noticeably corrected in a DVD release, then I would probably choose the DVD release in the end. However, I have yet to really run into a case like this where I have seen an HD broadcast and am then limited to choosing between that and DVD but with no Blu Ray option. Hence for this poll, I choose preference of 720p since most shows I watch look good enough from a production standpoint and I dont *usually* notice alot of "flaws" that need correcting. Pretty much since HD broadcasts started in Japan they have released blu ray versions of them. Atleast for the series I have followed.

So far the only time where I have chosen a 720p TV release over a Blu ray/DVD release is with Basquash. As everyone who followed that series should know, the DVD and Blu ray releases are actually INFERIOR to the HD broadcast since they have numerous censoring edits. I don't recall noticing any serious animation or production flaws in the show for the TV version, so in that case, the 720p broadcast is definitely the winner in the end, even over the Blu rays.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 00:24   Link #11
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

DVD so I can watch it on a big screen and lay down
Old 2010-04-16, 01:33   Link #12
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I don't care personally... both are fine and get the job done.
Old 2010-04-17, 02:15   Link #13
Eater of All
NOM

I use an ancient 15" monitor that can't tell the difference between a whale and a cockroach, much less 720p or 576p, so I'd prefer whichever version that provides the better animation overall (usually the fixed DVDs). Then again unless it's for something like, say, Bakemonogatari, I usually don't really bother downloading the episodes all over again anyways.
Old 2010-04-17, 05:00   Link #14
xKeen

720p looks great on my laptop, and DVD works perfectly on my TV. So, it kinda depends.
For the contents,DVD will be my choice - Less censoring

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 05:04   Link #15
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

720p all the way, considering I got 22" monitors and a 32" HDTV, which 720p is perfect on.

Otoh, my laptop can just barely handle DVD quality. Still, DVD is just fine, it's not like I won't watch it if it isn't in 720p.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 11:14   Link #16
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

In most cases, I will buy a DVD since the Playstation 3 will already upscale it to 720p at pretty good quality. This is a main reason I don't bother for Bluray releases since I only have a 720p TV (Samsung 32-inch LCD TV from 2006) and still looks pretty good.
Old 2010-04-17, 18:44   Link #17
kyosak
poo

720p or Blu-Ray.

DVD rips just look really bad IMO. :/
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 01:27   Link #18
Unos Hambalos
Ham Ham

Send a message via MSN to Unos Hambalos
Hmm, I used to not care but since I've become used to720p rips, I've always looked for that since smaller started to look worse.

720p spoiled me.

sig by rikikai
Unos Hambalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 02:32   Link #19
klare

i watch both, but i can say 720 is better in quality

but the future for me looks like HD TV (1080) + Blu-Ray rip
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 10:32   Link #20
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Between the two choices above, I'd say 720p TV rips over DVD rips because the former comes out earlier. At least a couple months earlier in fact.

Now if, hyptothetically speaking, both came out at the same time... I can't say for sure, as the situation hasn't come up, but I'm going to take the HD rips still. It's one big reason why I spent good money for my processor; so that I can actually decode 720p series without lagging. Might as well not put that money to waste... watching DVD rips in this rig would be akin to using a PS3 as a mere DVD player lol.

(Not to mention I can't stand anything lower than 720p now that I'm so used to it. I only watch DVD quality when I'm forced to, like watching someones or my DVD collection with my friends or something.)

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote