Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-16, 04:56   Link #341
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Of course it's done to death, but you don't get many high budget old school styled action cartoons these days so personally I'll take what I can get.
There's nothing high budget or old school about all the terrible CG used in ep3. The episode was animated by Xebec, which explains why it was basically a sack of shit.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 05:38   Link #342
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
There's nothing high budget or old school about all the terrible CG used in ep3. The episode was animated by Xebec, which explains why it was basically a sack of shit.
The CG looked fine to me. I don't expect movie budgets in anime. The fact that it doesn't look as out of place as say....Blassreiter, is good enough for me. I guess if you're an animation purist then the pickings are slim, right?
Old 2010-04-16, 06:21   Link #343
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
The CG looked fine to me. I don't expect movie budgets in anime. The fact that it doesn't look as out of place as say....Blassreiter, is good enough for me. I guess if you're an animation purist then the pickings are slim, right?
You don't need a movie budget to look good. My point wasn't even about how good or bad the CG was (personally it looked pretty bad, especially the planes, cheap looking even for TV anime), but rather that your claim that Heroman was somehow a "rare oldschool style" anime isn't how I feel about the show at all. There's nothing oldschool about using CG to animate vehicle action. If they actually bothered to do pure hand drawn action animation of the choppers and planes, then sure, it would be pretty oldschool and the effort would be appreciated even if the writing and directing still sucks. Such clearly isn't the case.
Old 2010-04-16, 06:45   Link #344
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Thoughts on epi 3

I really liked this episode. Joey quickly tried to help Heroman fight using his shield which was very well done. He didn't have a sudden hero complex, but rather looked to save his grandma first. Great fight scenes, especially with the sudden "uh oh" moments with the cops and I'm guessing with the guys in the tanks and copters.

Also looks like Nick isn't just a nick head of a bully. I was half expecting him to try to steal Heroman from Joey, or just try to take out his own weakness by bullying someone weaker then himself. Instead, maybe for the wrong reasons he is storming towards the end game boss. Nice one Nick head!!!!
Old 2010-04-16, 08:27   Link #345
Bombo
TSF Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
"America Banzai !"

Never thought I'd hear this in an anime. .
I loled for this part
and btw the president isn't Obama this time
The episode really great and ofc the animation coming first ..More actions less talk ftw ..But I want more heroman action
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 12:07   Link #346
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
you people are lot more forgiving then me. I just feel like I've seen this done to death. At least it's pretty right?
Quote:
Of course it's done to death, but you don't get many high budget old school styled action cartoons these days so personally I'll take what I can get.
I just want to add my 2c to these statements. Imo this isn't done to death nor is it old school. Looking past the "super-robot fighting bad guys" theme, I see it as a homage to old school science fiction, especially terminator, Star Trek, Back to the Future, maybe Tron as well; every time Heroman does his victory pose with the red ring highlighted over his body it reminds me of Tron.

Btw, love the Lordgenome/Lazengann reference towards the end of the OP.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 15:28   Link #347
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

This series is just all-around fun, period. Catchy OP/ED songs, solid super robot action, vaguely retro-style character designs and so far pretty good quality animation.

Is it formulaic? You bet. Is it anything ground-breaking or original? Hardly. Will it be dismissed by elitists who want something more out of their anime? Dur.

Is it still fun and entertaining as all hell in spite of these so-called flaws? Hells yes. And I intend to enjoy the ride.

Ep. 3 might not have seen much plot motion, but it was really a setup episode to give us an idea of what Joey and Heroman are up against as well as show us how others are reacting to the Skrugg invasion. 8/10 ep for me.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 17:41   Link #348
Jarmel

@duckroll
The episode being animated by Xebec does indeed explain why the episode looked like crap for a good majority especially in comparison to the last two.

Anyway look like further confirmation that Heroman's main abilities and attacks are lightning based as well as the shield Joey put up. Also more evidence that Heroman does indeed have a personality, whether he speaks or not will be a separate issue. Will is indeed an epic idiot but oh well. It certainly seems that there will be a galactic aspect to it possibly similar to TTGL in the 'rebellion' part. Plot is moving at the speed I'm hoping it will meaning that this will most likely be no longer than a 8 episode arc barring they don't draw it out with stupid sphere attacks.

I'm really really trying to like this series but it has to step its game up and either finish this arc up quickly or give us some major plot twist.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 18:08   Link #349
juss
KANAME SENPAIIIIII!!!

I don't know my giant robot anime very well, but it seems to me that Heroman is both a homage and more a direct descendent of these and it reminds me a lot of the one that I have seen, Giant Robo, though I'm sure that its oldschool 70s Giant robot shows are the inspiration.

I thought episode three lacked any real dramatic tension, but I still think that the show has a cute vibe and it's pretty enjoyable if you don't demand big things from it.
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 02:42   Link #350
charles88

After i watch Heroman,i instantly like the show as it has Gurren Lagann felling.i think it gonna be a great anime,i mean gurren Lagann start off as mecha comedy which up to episode 8.I think Heroman will end up the same hing.

I have theory about how Heroman series show.I think it will go up to 50 episode or at least minimum 26 episode as first half of the series is about Joey try to stop Skrugg conquest on Earth at the same time face other challenge such as Wills which opening scene indicate he will be Joey enemy, group of scientist who wanted to use and study Heroman power for their own end and secrect agency which seems consider Joey and Heroman as threat than ally which i call it Earth arc.Then final half of the series,i think Joey and Heroman go to space to defeat Skrugg leader or possibly more powerful race at the same meet other alien race which either become Joey friend or enemy which i call it Space arc.It just my theory only,so dont take too seriusly.
charles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 10:00   Link #351
tsunade666

PLEASE DON'T COMPARE IT TOO GURREN LAGANN!

I love the show just by watching it first. And I hate too compare the girly face joey to driller simon or even the afro hair too kamina. And even if their are both mech. You could see tons of similarities of it from gurren lagann. Like a copy paste anime theme. Like the base of the enemy. It looks like the one of lord genome's base.

UBBER GARNESS > > > > > > is way better than >>>>>>> wimpy girl face

I'm alright in comparing if the their is a small gap of comparison. I really hope this anime turns for better. The studio is still BONES. And the only reason I watch it is because IT IS MADE BY BONES!!!.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 10:28   Link #352
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Yeah I think comparing Heroman to Gurren Lagann would be a horrible mistake. If this was from any other studio, with the same premise and designs, I would not have even bothered with the first episode. As it is, the show is poor written and the direction is spotty. It's not very interesting as a kid's show or an action anime. There are some really good sequences (mostly in the first episode) which are a hallmark of Bones productions, but otherwise there's really nothing that captivates me here.
Old 2010-04-17, 10:31   Link #353
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
-If Psy's legs are good enough for him to ride on that mini cycle and launch himself to the ground why is he still using stretchers?
You need to pay attention more. Notice that only one of his legs is plastered so his other leg is good.

Yeah, the F22 attack was pretty strange and I thought F22 is not even an air superiority fighter but rather a stealth type. I would just chalk it being a kid's show and be done with it.

My short impressions of the 3rd episode:

- Pacing is fine. I think Bones nails it right so far by not rushing it so we're genuinely curious on what is going to transpire in the next episode.

- Joey is manning up at an alarming rate! First, he told Will off and secondly, he rushed forward to distract the Aliens and subsequently shielding Heroman. I like the concept of Heroman providing offense while Joey has to focus with defense.

- The fight is a lot better compared to the 2nd episode where the Skruggs just stood around doing nothing. I would like to see a more elaborate choreography but I guess it's not possible for now since the show has established these foot soldiers as the Zaku II in Heroman.

Still, I think Heroman is one of the more promising shows in this season along with Arakawa Under the Bridge, Rainbow (subs where?!) and Giant Killing. Angel Beats! will be the first show that I'm going to drop as 3 episodes in and the writers still have no goddamn clue about what they want to do in that show. The hideous character design doesn't help too.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 10:42   Link #354
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Oh, and comparing this to Gurren Lagann is just not appropriate as they obviously adopt different philosophies. TTGL is definitely more frenetic and is faster paced though it had a 12 episodes slow build up.

Heroman on the other hand adopts a slower, more tempered and steadier Western style. The first episode is pretty much an Origin story we know so well in stories such as Spiderman. What makes it interesting is that Heroman combines this trope with "kid and his remote-controlled robot" theme as seen in Giant Robo, Tetsujin 28 and Gigantor.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 13:28   Link #355
charles88

I SAYS Heroman gives a same feeling when i first watch Gurren Lagann,not comparing with it.And by the way,Simon start off as wimpy character(even i consider him more wimpy than Shinji Ikari)until its episode 11 where simon FINALLY become MANLY or GAR.And in Heroman,Joey at least more courage than Simon in his early days.

I think Heroman gonna be great and unique anime.I mean is created by legendary Stan Lee and Studio BONES which anime studio never make a sucky anime.It just that we have to wait until series crowning moment like Gurren Lagann episode 8.
charles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 15:34   Link #356
Jarmel

Quote:
Yeah I think comparing Heroman to Gurren Lagann would be a horrible mistake. If this was from any other studio, with the same premise and designs, I would not have even bothered with the first episode. As it is, the show is poor written and the direction is spotty. It's not very interesting as a kid's show or an action anime. There are some really good sequences (mostly in the first episode) which are a hallmark of Bones productions, but otherwise there's really nothing that captivates me here.
You can't tell me that TTGL wasn't an inspiration for the show. I do fully agree though that Bones is carrying the show and it would be unwatchable without the great production values. Again I'm highly doubting that this will even touch TTGL levels but TTGL didn't really kick it into gear until around episode 8. The series very much needs either some major plot twist or they need to get through the aliens to get to serious villains and the more complex arcs.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 16:12   Link #357
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles88 View Post
I think Heroman gonna be great and unique anime.I mean is created by legendary Stan Lee and Studio BONES which anime studio never make a sucky anime.It just that we have to wait until series crowning moment like Gurren Lagann episode 8.
This are the reason I'm still sticking with this anime despite that fact I hate girly face hero.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 20:13   Link #358
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
You need to pay attention more. Notice that only one of his legs is plastered so his other leg is good.
But the way he's riding the bike thing is still going to put load on the plastered leg. Only explanation is that it's almost healed.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 09:04   Link #359
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
You can't tell me that TTGL wasn't an inspiration for the show. I do fully agree though that Bones is carrying the show and it would be unwatchable without the great production values. Again I'm highly doubting that this will even touch TTGL levels but TTGL didn't really kick it into gear until around episode 8. The series very much needs either some major plot twist or they need to get through the aliens to get to serious villains and the more complex arcs.
It doesn't matter what is or is not an inspiration for anything. Heroman is nothing like Gurren Lagann because Gurren actually knew what it was doing. It wasn't a crappy show which suddenly became good after 8 episodes. It was a really dynamic and exciting show with brand new enemies and fast paced development and world building in every episode leading up to major climax points in ep8 and ep14.

The reason why I say Heroman cannot be compared is because it's not anywhere near the same league. It's not even as entertaining as Basquash was in the first 3 episodes. There's a serious lack of quality in the writing and directing. Every episode is pretty much boring shit until Heroman transforms and punches something. The only well animated action scenes are those involving Heroman punching stuff. There's nothing really interesting about the art direction, the world, the characters, or anything other than the short 10-20 seconds of Heroman punching something.

Ep1 - Heroman punches a car.
Ep2 - Heroman punches some aliens.
Ep3 - Heroman punches the same aliens again.
Ep4 - Heroman punches a giant black sphere.

Wow, that's sooooooooooo interesting. It's really disappointing because BONES has shown before that they can actually do episodic stuff really well, creating lots of unique and different enemy-of-the-week stuff as needed. None of that is present in Heroman, even though the structure of the show would really benefit from it. Make each episode interesting, give Heroman enemies who are interesting to fight, and have interesting stories about Joey and the city. As it is, zzzzzzzz.
Old 2010-04-18, 09:07   Link #360
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
The reason why I say Heroman cannot be compared is because it's not anywhere near the same league. It's not even as entertaining as Basquash was in the first 3 episodes. There's a serious lack of quality in the writing and directing. Every episode is pretty much boring shit until Heroman transforms and punches something. The only well animated action scenes are those involving Heroman punching stuff. There's nothing really interesting about the art direction, the world, the characters, or anything other than the short 10-20 seconds of Heroman punching something.

Ep1 - Heroman punches a car.
Ep2 - Heroman punches some aliens.
Ep3 - Heroman punches the same aliens again.
Ep4 - Heroman punches a giant black sphere.

Wow, that's sooooooooooo interesting. It's really disappointing because BONES has shown before that they can actually do episodic stuff really well, creating lots of unique and different enemy-of-the-week stuff as needed. None of that is present in Heroman, even though the structure of the show would really benefit from it. Make each episode interesting, give Heroman enemies who are interesting to fight, and have interesting stories about Joey and the city. As it is, zzzzzzzz.

Actually, this is more entertaining than Basquash imo.

This is a kid's show. It's not going to get that much more complex. Just enjoy the Sat morning cartoon ride if you can.

Tags
bones, mecha