AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-22, 10:37   Link #81
StrawHatLuffy23

Is the Anonymous sub for Episode 3 decent? I know it's not gonna be as good as Frozen or maybe even Commie, but it's good right?
StrawHatLuffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 10:59   Link #82
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatLuffy23 View Post
Is the Anonymous sub for Episode 3 decent? I know it's not gonna be as good as Frozen or maybe even Commie, but it's good right?
It was actually surprisingly good for a speedsub. Good ahead if you don't want to wait for FroZen.
Old 2010-04-22, 15:41   Link #83
elindir
Overreacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHatLuffy23 View Post
Commie's last release was really bad considering that the size was 680 MB-ish. The Anonymous group's release is considerably smaller, and the translation is also pretty good.
Old 2010-04-23, 06:45   Link #84
klare

i think eps 3 simply make more ppl hate that long face warden

i am looking forward to Sakuragi's story
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 08:54   Link #85
Keefer

Frostii's sub is out. Filesize is huge though (452 MB).
Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 13:02   Link #86
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
People have varying degrees of a threshold of drama they can take until it feels a bit to melodramatic and contrived and becomes a Deus Angst Machina. Some have a low threshold and others have a high threshold. It's really just about taste. I thought the first episode was a bit too much but enjoyed the second episode a lot.
This show isn't a drama; it's a melodrama.

Unfortunately, that word has entered our vernacular as something negative, to be avoided, but melodramas aren't necessarily bad. By allowing the characters to be painted with broad strokes, it invites audience participation through identification with the characters involved. The point of a melodrama isn't to feel "poor Joe, and his unique struggle" it's to feel "oh god, what if I was put into prison and my beloved sister was going to be adopted by a pedophile?"

The more complex a character becomes, the further away they drift from the audience as constructs. Making them into a fully fledged person means imbuing them with a sense of privacy to their actions, the same kind we would give to a real person. Writing a melodrama, if done correctly, means that the audience is being invited in to share the exact same ups and downs as the characters.

Now, whether you feel this show is "done right" is another story. But if you're not willing to put aside yourself and buy into the story, then it makes sense that this series would have absolutely no emotional resonance for you.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 20:52   Link #87
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

After seeing episode 2 it should be obvious by now that the exaggerated animation of the more "evil" adults weren't simply to make them look more of the part in a cliched sense but also likely symbolic and caricature-ish of sorts, to try and signify more the ugliness of humanity reflected not only in their actions but also in their looks. I mean it's nothing new to me since even the tamest of shows consciously or unconsciously do it, but not a lot do it as obvious and self-aware (?) as this series.

That said... the flashback of the grotesque orphanage director "pleasuring" herself on Joe has to be one of the most disgusting and disturbing things I've seen animated on a supposedly safe for TV show like this. Surprised it made it past the censors.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 10:24   Link #88
deadharbor

I think this series will never appeal to me. The story is just so melodramatic and not even in a good way but kind of just laughable and amateurish. I don't know, even the character design isn't my cup of tea. Were reformatories in that era really like this? These people act like they're in death row.

Quote:
That said... the flashback of the grotesque orphanage director "pleasuring" herself on Joe has to be one of the most disgusting and disturbing things I've seen animated on a supposedly safe for TV show like this. Surprised it made it past the censors.
I didn't find it that disturbing because i know it's done for shock value. Seems like this anime just want to cram stuff down our throat and it's really not working with me.
deadharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 13:25   Link #89
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadharbor View Post
I think this series will never appeal to me. The story is just so melodramatic and not even in a good way but kind of just laughable and amateurish. I don't know, even the character design isn't my cup of tea. Were reformatories in that era really like this? These people act like they're in death row.
I'm inclined to think that was the case. The writer of Rainbow, George Abe, spent some time there in his childhood, and from what I gathered, he based the characters on people he knew. Now, I'm not sure if he's exaggerated things or not, but it shouldn't be too far from reality.
Old 2010-04-24, 23:48   Link #90
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefer View Post
Frostii's sub is out. Filesize is huge though (452 MB).
No, FroZen's (Frostii + saizen...) sub came out... And it'd be great if they keep this quality and speed combined up
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 08:00   Link #91
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Episode 3 was ok . Cliche stuffs .

I like so much the OP and ED ^^
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 23:37   Link #92
Psycho_Kenshin

I'm loving Rainbow, its grabbed me really fast, I'm already invested in the characters for the long haul.

One thing thats nice is that there's that glimmering light of hope. We have the guys in a hellish situation, but the intro and the prologue lets us know that they get out and we see how they look in the future, which works really well.

The epic scope is something I really dig, so here's hoping they manage to keep the anime running to cover the full manga.
Old 2010-05-01, 04:59   Link #93
Casshern

At the end of Frozen's version there's a few seconds commentary/"interview" from the mangaka.

Damn, I'm desperate to find the OP song, Coldrain - We're not Alone. Anyone know when the OST is coming out?
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 07:16   Link #94
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Spoiler for episode 4:

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 17:01   Link #95
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for ep 4:
Old 2010-05-01, 20:34   Link #96
king12354

Spoiler for Ep 4:
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 20:37   Link #97
StrawHatLuffy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Spoiler for Ep 4:
Yeah I was wondering that too
StrawHatLuffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 21:22   Link #98
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Spoiler for Ep 4:
seeing how his character is, i am guessing he injured someone while protecting someone

i am thinking will this end up being a boxing show
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 01:35   Link #99
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i am thinking will this end up being a boxing show
Not really. Yes, there will be boxing but there will also be narcotics, turf war, protection racket, natural disaster, swindling, etc, assuming that they will adapt the whole manga into anime.

By the way, the anime is currently covering 4 manga chapters per episode, with the exception of the 1st episode. At that pace, Episode 13 would end nicely at a natural stepping off point (end of Volume 5 of the manga). Hopefully it doesn't and that the opening scene in the OP is indicative of it.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 02:04   Link #100
Vicious108

It'd be nice if they went and covered the entire manga. Since there's no confirmed episode count yet there's a chance it may happen right? If Madhouse did it with Monster they can do it with Rainbow too.

Anyways, just watched episode 4 and it was amazing. I REALLY can't wait for the soundtrack to come out, because it's truly god tier.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen