AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-07-17, 17:57   Link #4381
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika_power View Post
Also, how do you decide how to translate some names? If I look back, prior to your translation, people called Kinzo Kinzou, Ange Anje/Anji, etc. I want to know why you did what you did.
I think for Ange, WH emailed Ryukishi? It was either that or he verified it in an interview...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 18:01   Link #4382
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I think for Ange, WH emailed Ryukishi? It was either that or he verified it in an interview...
Yeah, all name spellings have been confirmed by 07th Expansion. Though we haven't had anything confirmed for the core arcs yet, so those are still uncertain.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 18:33   Link #4383
Pika_power

I see.

And are the elongated shouts present in the original Japanese?
Pika_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 18:40   Link #4384
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika_power View Post
I see.

And are the elongated shouts present in the original Japanese?
Yes it is. That's one of Ryukishi's quirks as a writer.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 19:10   Link #4385
Leafsnail

If you look at the source, you can tell even if you can't read Japanese, heh.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 19:35   Link #4386
imaginari
Purupurupiko-Man

Location: My beloved hometown, the mackerel river running through it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Yes it is. That's one of Ryukishi's quirks as a writer.
Bat Leer!

He made a beet!
imaginari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 20:15   Link #4387
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Yeah, all name spellings have been confirmed by 07th Expansion. Though we haven't had anything confirmed for the core arcs yet, so those are still uncertain.
In the current episodes, are there any names which you doubt? Erika's seems pretty clear (and the joke with it is so obvious), and one of the names is an anagram so you'd figure that wouldn't change either.

I guess there's a couple in ep6 that could be open to interpretation, and it could become an issue if anybody completely new is introduced.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 21:12   Link #4388
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Luckily there's the goetia key to confirm the demons' names.

Hachijo Tohya's name was spelled in hiragana so there's absolutely no doubt.

"Augustus Aurora" is practically a direct transliteration, and a clear correspondence with existing latin names cab be seen.

"Featherinne" has many circumstantial evidences that confirm it. At least the "feather" part is 100% correct. The rest is very likely.

the only one that can leave a lot of doubts is

"Itouikukuro Reigonamu"

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 21:23   Link #4389
Pika_power

Then finally, what was the random mash of letters when
Spoiler for EP2, EP4:
Pika_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 02:46   Link #4390
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

I think the people who complain and call you slow are just pushing their anticipation onto the translators. "I can't wait" turns into "gimme it now!"
Every fan of WH would love to help. Sadly the ones that have the skills to help are already on board and doing their best.

On a side note, do you get anything from Ryukishi such as a pre-release, or do you have to order it and wait for things to be in stock like everyone else?
zibbazabba905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 03:01   Link #4391
winter 923

funny thing is that these who complain got mocked in ep6 as they do not really "read" it or even "think behind" it.

The spam in these scenes are original. also these sentences that end with more then one period. Tryed to get a friend to read it and he said even a child could have a better sentence construction -_-
winter 923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 03:06   Link #4392
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter 923 View Post
The spam in these scenes are original. also these sentences that end with more then one period. Tryed to get a friend to read it and he said even a child could have a better sentence construction -_-
It's called an ellipses. The multiple periods represent a pause in speech. It's used to create tension and drama.

and spam? what are you talking about?
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 03:17   Link #4393
winter 923

Spoiler for spam:

I know it represents a pause and i do not have a problem with that (did not know the word for it in english). just saying most authors avoid that and some readers might find that strange.
Old 2010-07-18, 03:20   Link #4394
chronotrig

It's true that our use of ellipses isn't conventional, but it's intended to better convey the author's original meaning. There are other patterns we could use, but none that I prefer to our current setup.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 03:49   Link #4395
Digi-Dragon

I like the use of ellipses and -- if by "spam" you mean this -- the sudden explosion of text. The first conveys the length of time, and as chrono said, suspense. The second is an surprise. It's sudden and at least when I got to those parts, it made me jump.

And honestly, I think that a visual novel's composition is different than a regular novel. When you're in the heat reading it, you shouldn't think about complaining -- you should enjoy the story. You shouldn't try and generalize with "most authors" either, because I'm sure there are authors who do that. Again, this is a visual novel and unless you've read a lot of them, you can't comment in this medium as well.

That's also a horrible thing to say here -- in regards to the "even a child could have a better sentence structure" -- when WH is the only way those of us who can't read Japanese can read the visual novel.
Digi-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 03:56   Link #4396
winter 923

oh god no. I said i tryed to get a friend to the umineko series and that was his reaction. I fastforwarded the original game (to see some kanjis in red). I know that the ellipses are supposed to be there.
The spam i meant is mostly Dlanor and in the dieng scenes (and also in the original).
I am greatfull that the WH team takes it free-time to translate this novel to those who cannot read japanese (including me). This was in no way supposed to be an attack.
Old 2010-07-18, 04:21   Link #4397
Digi-Dragon

Sorry, through the way you worded it, I got confused.
Digi-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 06:40   Link #4398
Leafsnail

The elipses do give a fairly good sense of pausing. It's unusual, but you get used to it after a while.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 14:25   Link #4399
theplane2

Strange as it may sound, I always felt like the extra elipses and letters when someone screams, etc. made it seem like it was a narrative being told aloud, or otherwise one that was meant to be told aloud with all the pauses and such intact. Basically, when I read it, it feels like the narrator is practically talking to me (does that make any sense? ._. I'm not crazy, I swear...) It gives it a really different interesting feel from other novels I've read. Sure, it may not be conventional or even grammatically correct compared to novels you get at bookstores, but at the same time... This isn't a novel you'd get at a bookstore. And I'm very grateful to WH for translating the Japanese as faithfully as possible, even in this regard.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me, yes, it is unconventional; yes, it's a little awkward, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
theplane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 14:36   Link #4400
Laserworm
Maelstorm-Fenrir

Send a message via AIM to Laserworm Send a message via MSN to Laserworm
It is unconventional, but it isn't against grammar at all, in fact in it is my book full of writing rules. If you want to get picky really there is no rule that allows you to use italics for thoughts even. Italics (according to rules) are to be used for emphasis and foreign words.
Laserworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation