AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-26, 21:19   Link #381
iceyfw

i was quite disgusted with bunmei's action in episode 4. i expected maya to beat the hell out of him and to never talk to him again. and then later he somehow redeems himself, but i guess they didn't want to go that route.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 21:57   Link #382
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy View Post
i was quite disgusted with bunmei's action in episode 4. i expected maya to beat the hell out of him and to never talk to him again. and then later he somehow redeems himself, but i guess they didn't want to go that route.
Oh, they'll go that route, it just won't be until the end of the series. Maya is more than badass ebough to handle that requirement (with Smile and even JK helping out), and as stated, Bunmei's cowardice can help keep the humor level high...
Old 2010-07-26, 22:30   Link #383
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I too am in the Bunmei hate camp at the moment. Indeed he currently only serves as Maya's object of abuse, and by himself I don't find him that funny either.

And Abe Minorus my ass, you just pull them off the street!
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 22:33   Link #384
ThinkTank

This serious just went from awesome to junk. I'll stick with it praying that this was 06's low point. I don't understand why they let 05's phone be found, since there is now no purpose to keeping 06 in the story.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 22:34   Link #385
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueXia View Post
If by any chance Fumiaki had a 0.00001% "deserve" rate of being the male lead for Maya, then he totally lost it this episode.
I find myself doubting that the idiot is going to follow the "Maya route" so to speak. In this episode he failed big time at doing one of the major requirements for winning over a tsundere: convincing her that he's actually a nice, worthwhile guy despite everything. Putting it simply... he's not. He's proven himself to be worthless, and did so right in front of Maya. She doesn't even like him, let alone love him. Right now I'd say she's just disgusted with him. Even if he instantly became competant, he'd still have to overcome the very bad impression he's built up just to get back to the starting point.

I am somewhat confused by Bunmei's personality. In episode 2 he appeared at least moderately competant and interested in doing his job. That seems something of a contrast with his tale now of having been quite literally shoved into it without any training or preparation. While his behavior in 3 and 4 matches that tale, his behavior in 2 does not. It strikes me as odd.

On another note, it looks like Maya has her own future-phone now. Assuming, of course, that she held on to it when they escaped the cave, but I doubt she'd leave something like that behind. She's in a much better position to make use of that than the idiot.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 22:56   Link #386
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I see a major split developing over Fumiaki here, which isn't surprising. Yes, he's a coward and a mope - but I find him hilarious and I can't help rooting for him. He's not a bad guy - just a schlemazel who couldn't catch a break with a catcher's mitt. It's Maya who annoys me - so far, just too hard and angry to be remotely sympathetic. Her disdain for Fumiaki is perfectly understandable, but not very entertaining for me.

On balance, I think this is still the best show of the summer. The production values are excellent and the acting just as good, and I love the pace at which elements of the mystery are being parsed out. Because every mythological system out there is fair game it's impossible to predict just what's going to happen - and Mikaze is a perfect example. There's obviously something extremely odd with her- but it could be anything from sci-fi (time travel) to Japanese Shinto (is she a youkai?) to something else altogether.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 23:33   Link #387
Johnny
Working the bags...

This episode just made realize that Fumiaki's is a long lost brother of Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Add to the no longer funny beatings and this is one for when I'm feeling really freaking bored or while getting a root canal done...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 23:43   Link #388
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
This episode just made realize that Fumiaki's is a long lost brother of Shaggy from Scooby Doo.
Well Shaggy these days is shagging Velma so he is still better than Bunmei.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 00:01   Link #389
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Since it's shown that captured ppl get used as food for the moth babies like xenomorphs is it possible that Kozue is carrying an egg in her? Maybe that's why she's wired up in the preview.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 00:24   Link #390
chickdigger802

Tonfa wielding JK made my day. Lot more comedy this eps than 'spookiness'. Don't mind though =P
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 01:52   Link #391
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I see a major split developing over Fumiaki here, which isn't surprising. Yes, he's a coward and a mope - but I find him hilarious and I can't help rooting for him. He's not a bad guy - just a schlemazel who couldn't catch a break with a catcher's mitt.
What part about him lying repeatedly makes him a good person? How about the full blown cowardice? He's utter trash and honestly isn't even a decent protagonist at this point as I could care less if he died the next episode. I actually hope they do kill him off and get someone better or atleast more likable as #7.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 01:52   Link #392
JiGSaW
Boss Member

Maya is so freaking sexy... black hair and blue eyes mmmmmm. They detail her body so good too.
JiGSaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 03:35   Link #393
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I see a major split developing over Fumiaki here, which isn't surprising. Yes, he's a coward and a mope - but I find him hilarious and I can't help rooting for him. He's not a bad guy - just a schlemazel who couldn't catch a break with a catcher's mitt.
And that's where I can't agree - yet. Usually, the "useless male lead unfairly tossed into a situation he's absolutely incompetent to handle" template has some redeeming quality, being the willingness to DO WHAT HE CAN to help others, as little as it may be. Like acting like a shield (usually for the lead girls), or mounting an ineffective attack and fail trying. We're shown that he can't do it, but he's at least TRYING.

Fumiaki not only does NOT do that, he tries to take claim for the achievement of others. He completely forgot about Mikaze, he completely forgot about Maaya/Kozue being attacked by monsters, instead he stood around basking in the sun cheering that HE was alive. Before he accidentaly ran into Mikaze again (claiming that he was about to sear for her), pretending that it had been him who dealt with the tengu.

So, he wasn't merely a worthless coward, he also deserted those he's supposed to be protect while posing as a liar. Which makes him a total @sshole in my book. If a character is making Evangelion-Shinji in his worst times look like a hero, that's impressive.

Watching someone like him doesn't amuse me, it vexes me. And I pray that he will graduate from level -3 (his current form) to level 0 (worthless coward, but at least trying) ASAP, or I may not manage to see the end of this show.

Quote:
It's Maya who annoys me - so far, just too hard and angry to be remotely sympathetic. Her disdain for Fumiaki is perfectly understandable, but not very entertaining for me.
I see where you're coming from, and I definitely wouldn't put her on my "favorite heroine" list (though I have to admit that the one-piece zettai ryouiki is strong with this one). Still, she's doing what she can, and that earns her leeway with me. And as I said, after the total annihilation of Fumiaki as a character in the last 2 eps, I couldn't even mind her violent outbursts anymore (which bothered me before).
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 04:00   Link #394
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
=/ I thought Fumiaki fits the role of a pathetic hero quite nicely. The anime doesn't even take itself seriously at this point (Fat goth wielding item finders as Tonfas?). He's a hapless guy that happened to stumble into something he has no aptitude for and has no training for.

It's like how the pretty boy/cool character never loses in battles that are irrelevant, simply to show their array of skills and to give an illusion of being perfect. Fumiaki will not do anything heroic or even remotely consequential until the time is right, so might as well get some laugh out of it. This is vastly different from Shinji, where shit is going down and the general tone of the story is quite sober.

I guess this kind of humor is not really for all, but Fumiaki's character should have been quite apparent from the OP and trailers.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 04:11   Link #395
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

But you know, a certain wise man once said 'The training is nothing. Will is everything! The will to act...'
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 06:38   Link #396
fukarming

It is good that they finally resolved why Fumiaki in the future looks so different in the past and it is done pretty nice.

I am in the Fumiaki hate camp for sure and most of the others pretty much sum up my opinion on him. It is not his lack of ability that makes him a loser, but his attitude and action towards other events. I feel perplexed as why Fumiaki let Maya keep beating him and now this "mystery" is revealed. He is a useless person who succumb to tyranny

At the end Maya not beating up Fumiaki means she is totally disappointed with him. Fumiaki is not even worth scolding or beating and I would like to see how the story will go from there as I doubt Maya would work together with Fumiaki any more, especially if she got no.5's phone.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 07:10   Link #397
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
At the end Maya not beating up Fumiaki means she is totally disappointed with him. Fumiaki is not even worth scolding or beating
Indeed, that's what I mean when I say he's dropped so far in her eyes that she doesn't even hate him any more. He's no longer even worth getting angry at. He just disgusts her.

But it's still strange... In episode 2, when he heard Maya's window break, he ran towards the danger, and busted into her room to help her. Yeah, he was useless (aside from being knocked into the secret passage) but he showed the right attitude. The coward we've seen in this episode shouldn't have acted like that. There's a contradiction, and it bugs me.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 08:17   Link #398
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Woot!

Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 09:30   Link #399
Francismeunier
Banned

Thumbs up Episode 4

This is the episode I felt (my personal feelings) that I wanted to kill Abe in my head so badly that I was completely like and with him mainly due to this=>

and this for lying=>
Spoiler:

Can anyone verify if this is true with the whole story and people with the Japanese pyramids: http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/06f0d2b9.jpg
I was so at first here: http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/4597ea8e.jpg
because I though Mikaze got eaten somehow since she was wearing slippers almost gave the creepers and anger at Abe more than before....I was already he ran like coward from Mikaze because of a water drop. STOP BEING A WUSS here Abe: http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/57217c7a.jpg
completely just more with that part at Abe. JK here: http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/f1c24ab0.jpg
got me pretty and with that part.....he was amazing and so was smiles with his wrench killing moth-mans. Ok there.....they used that expression here: http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/c83bbf38.jpg
you all in North America know pretty well I assume. Once here: http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/a145d463.jpg
I though it was Mikaze who put the bomb but I guess it was Vice-Principal's henchmen. They forgot to mention the Tree of Mana that is so much in RPG when they mentioned the tree of life legends. Action+Occult content - Abe whining/coward crap made this episode 9/10 easy score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Woot!

Spoiler:
This is saved right now! HECK YEAH! It's nice!
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 11:01   Link #400
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Abe exposed as the lying cowardly crapbag that he is also made me want to see him just get totally pwned by some secondary explosion. But it looks like he'll have time to "mend his ways" and be on the good side at the end. And of course, Maya will have nothing with that if her character stays consistent.

Aside from that, I like the show. Maya owning everyone is fun.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote