AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-09-02, 22:23   Link #361
MadPanda

(Reads the last few posts......takes notes)

Okay, I knew a few of those...enough to steer completely clear of 'goru' and 'scat', at least! Is there a male-opposite term of 'fujoshi' (as in, men who like women who like women)?? Or is that just plain "normal"?

Back on topic...I've been meaning to see Tokyo Godfathers for YEARS, but keep putting it off. Maybe now would be the right time...

===
MadPanda...(kids these days grow up so fast!!)...
MadPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 11:33   Link #362
Metropolisforever

Hehe, maybe I should make Night Shift Nurses the Anime of the Day.
Old 2010-09-03, 11:55   Link #363
Metropolisforever

Today's Anime of the Day is...

Aurora (2000)

The NTV film Aurora of the Sea follows Hiroshi Ibuki and his team of deep-sea archaeologists sometime in the late 21st century. His team is seeking to uncover the ancient mysteries of the Earth's origins. However, they discover some strange, luminescent bacteria who are accidentally revived and begin attacking the crew. Aurora is significant for being one of the first all-CGI anime. The first was Visitor (1999), which was aired on WOWOW in 3 50-minute episodes. The second was A.LI.CE. (2000), a feature-length film which was also the first anime to be screened in DLP (Digital Light Projection, which George Lucas has used before). Aurora was the second anime to be screened using this method. Directed by Yoshinori Sugaya with character design by Katsuya Kondo and script by Shimada Misaru, the film premiered on October 7, 2000, at the New York Anime Festival. While A.LI.CE. was produced on animation cells, Aurora was never placed on cells, which resulted in a sharper and clearer picture on DLP.
Old 2010-09-03, 16:58   Link #364
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

It seems to have like a video game animations, somewhat odd to me
Old 2010-09-03, 18:39   Link #365
Metropolisforever

Yeah, CGI hasn't really taken off in Japan. Most CGI anime look like video games.
Old 2010-09-03, 19:46   Link #366
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Title design looks like a rip-off from the Matrix.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 01:25   Link #367
christinemarie
Crazy One

I would like to post today the best love triangle anime series ever made, with the best anime girl ever made.
Kimagure Orange Road (1987)

Teenage romance meets fantasy in this series as a love triangle develops between the main character, an indecisive esper named Kyōsuke Kasuga, Madoka Ayukawa, a mercurial and enigmatic girl with a tough past, and Hikaru Hiyama, Madoka's ditzy and energetic best friend. Kyōsuke falls in love with Madoka, and Madoka wants to return those feelings, but can not because of Hikaru's involvement with Kyōsuke.

Must watch anime for every generation.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 13:01   Link #368
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

So we have an Esper as well? o.o

Well if its an anime for all generations, I'll check it out once I clear up my already viewing 20 animes Also that title image looks like it can attract people.
Old 2010-09-04, 14:40   Link #369
MadPanda

Just finished the first few episodes of KOR..nice 'old-school' style, both in art and story-style. Madoka's very interesting (if not schizophrenic, to me anyway), and not hard on the eyes at all! Not liking Hikaru much, but you gotta have a rival. Kyousuke a good lead, but his family's a trip!

Will get back to that as soon as I finish "Nodame Cantabile Paris"

===
MadPanda...(which I had to delay due to the "Nanoha-a-thon"!)...
Old 2010-09-04, 15:37   Link #370
Metropolisforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
the best anime girl ever made.
INCORRECT.

The best anime girl ever created is Lum from Urusei Yatsura.

Old 2010-09-04, 20:22   Link #371
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

2 anime girls that I never even heard of
Old 2010-09-04, 20:45   Link #372
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
INCORRECT.

The best anime girl ever created is Lum from Urusei Yatsura.
Oh let's not even START that debate. It will rage on for a thousand pages, and nothing will come of it.

When it comes to "the best" of anything anime, we can all only hope to agree to disagree.
Old 2010-09-04, 23:31   Link #373
MadPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Oh let's not even START that debate. It will rage on for a thousand pages, and nothing will come of it.

When it comes to "the best" of anything anime, we can all only hope to agree to disagree.
I won't disagree to agree with that!

===
MadPanda...(looks at Belldandy... )...
Old 2010-09-05, 07:52   Link #374
MadPanda

Anime of the Day - 9/5/10

Princess Nine

From Wikipedia:

The story concerns the trials of nine girls at the Kisaragi School for Girls who form a baseball team for the purpose of playing on equal footing with boys' teams at the most prestigious high school tournament in Japan, The National High School Baseball Championship. Their aim to qualify for, and ultimately to win, the final rounds of the tournament which is held each year at the Koshien Stadium. They are led by ace pitcher, Ryo Hayakawa, a daughter of a former rising pitching star in Japan.

Thoughts:

I'm usually not a sports anime fan, but this one won me over right away. Ryo is a very likeable (if a bit too spunky) tomboy who's actually better than the grown men on her town's sandlot league. Her pitching prowess gets noticed by the high school's female principal, who then hatches her scheme. She has valid reasons for doing so aside from just being a 'trailblazer'...personal reasons.

It's part sports anime, part soap opera, part history (see below) and a lot of "Bad News Bears"...but that mix does work, and work well. The girls on the team may not all be star material, but given the chance you come to like them...and root for them. The art is okay, but the music is good (the dramatic opening theme is great!).

As for the history: Ryo's dad is based on real-life pitcher Masaaki Ikenaga of the Nishitetsu (now Seibu) Lions. Ikenaga was a stellar, rising ace pitcher who won at Koshien and entered pro baseball after finishing high school. He was sentenced guilty in the infamous Black Mist Scandal in 1970 (he was only 24 at the time), together with other five players, and banned from professional baseball for life for fixing and betting on games. Many of his fans believed that he was innocent. In 2005, his sentence was revoked and his name was fully rehabilitated.

A version of this story is used as the backdrop for not only Ryo's wish to follow in her father's footsteps, but also for why the principal wishes to field a team at all (much to her tennis-star daughter's disapproval).

It's not as light and fluffy as, say, Taishou Baseball Girls, but it's definitely a hit.

===
MadPanda...(look up Ikenaga's story--makes the 'Black Sox Scandal' seem like child's play)...
Old 2010-09-05, 14:26   Link #375
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

So its a baseball game sorta like Cross Game, but we have 9 girls trying their best to get into the boy's league..

I suppose the main focus is gonna be on Ryo Hayakawa since she is the daughter of a really famous pitcher, that expectations of her success are really gonna be high. But she might mess up and let everyone's hopes down? May never know till I watch it
Old 2010-09-05, 17:10   Link #376
MadPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
So its a baseball game sorta like Cross Game, but we have 9 girls trying their best to get into the boy's league..
Not just the girls, but the Principal as well: she has to do a lot of political wrangling just to get the girls noticed--much less accepted--after being laughed off as a stunt or a 'feminist whim'.

Quote:
I suppose the main focus is gonna be on Ryo Hayakawa since she is the daughter of a really famous pitcher, that expectations of her success are really gonna be high. But she might mess up and let everyone's hopes down? May never know till I watch it
While Ryo does get the lion's share of attention (through her home life and her rivalry with the principal's daughter), the series does focus on the other players and their lives (yeah, each has something to overcome, but the stories are mostly nice). The ending isn't as Hollywood as you might think, though, and I'm very disappointed that they didn't get a sequel.

===
MadPanda...(It's more like a darker Taishou Baseball Girls, without the shoujo-ai)...
Old 2010-09-06, 13:15   Link #377
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Today's anime of the day is:

xxxHOLiC (2006-2008)

Watanuki Kimihiro is a high school student plagued by spirits with a strong attraction to him. The spirits are invisible to others and encounters with them are extremely troublesome. When he stumbles into a shop that grants wishes, however, events in his life promise to become more unusual. The shop is owned by Ichihara Yuuko, a mysterious witch of many names and esoteric renown. For a price, she offers to grant Watanuki's wish to be rid of the spirits. The price to be paid must be of equal value and so, as payment, he temporarily becomes Yuuko's part-time employee, doing chores around the shop and dealing with the supernatural as all kinds of beings visit Yuuko's shop to have their wishes granted.

xxxHOLiC is one of CLAMP's well-known works, tying in closely with Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles and even crossing over with it at times. I actually can't remember much about the anime since I watched it a while ago, but I do remember the stories in xxxHOLiC were well written out and that the characters had great interactions with each other and their characters were well fleshed out. Yuuko herself is a playful tease but is also demonstrates that she is still an all-knowing witch many times throughout the course of the series.

For those who want a supernatural series I'd say check out xxxHOLiC, both the anime series and the manga which is currently ongoing.
Old 2010-09-06, 13:20   Link #378
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

xxxHoLiC has the main boy that looks exactly the same as Eriol but grown up from Cardcaptor Sakura Its just one of Clamps lovely works of using look-a-likes but just older versions

So we have a boy that is plagued with spirits, about to go insane from it or cannot stand it anymore. But then a woman comes in and helps him out of his issue for a certain price?
Old 2010-09-06, 14:14   Link #379
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

He wasn't gonna go insane from the spirits, it's just that he found them annoying. I'd say he was kinda forced to work in Yuuko's shop the way she convinced him...

And I don't really think Eriol looks like Watanuki. Maybe it's just because xxxHOLiC's art is different from CCS's? I dunno.
Old 2010-09-06, 14:44   Link #380
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
He wasn't gonna go insane from the spirits, it's just that he found them annoying. I'd say he was kinda forced to work in Yuuko's shop the way she convinced him...

And I don't really think Eriol looks like Watanuki. Maybe it's just because xxxHOLiC's art is different from CCS's? I dunno.
She must be really good at convincing

Also I just think Clamp likes to make the characters of their animes look mostly the same. It was just a thought, but I did get a good start on this anime. Seems fine to me