AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-09-14, 19:02   Link #81
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Finally a reason to buy these games! The art looks really nice and I'm very glad to hear the music is being kept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
God these sprites are ugly. I'm going to punch anyone who's claiming that THESE are better than even R07's works.
Hey there they are better. Anything is better than is art seriously. Go ahead and punch me! I graduated with a BFA degree so I actually know something about art!
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 19:31   Link #82
immblueversion

Quote:
God these sprites are ugly. I'm going to punch anyone who's claiming that THESE are better than even R07's works.
But not even R07 thinks his own art is all that good.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 19:39   Link #83
Will Wright

Quote:
Bring it on.
I should probably warn you though, I am provincial fencing champion, municipal archery champion and most important of all known for cheating during fights.
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 19:46   Link #84
Leafsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
Bring it on.
I should probably warn you though, I am provincial fencing champion, municipal archery champion and most important of all known for cheating during fights.
Hey, if you're known to cheat, you can't be that great at it :P.

On a more serious note... the old sprites do have a charm, but to be honest, objectively, these are generally bettr.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 19:49   Link #85
CainSonozaki

I wonder how theyll animate the myth battle, and the final battle.
Right now the time where magic advents.
I am Beatrice-sama! Ahaha"
CainSonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 19:52   Link #86
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Not really digging the new art. It looks too much like something Tim Burton would have made.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 19:52   Link #87
Will Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Hey, if you're known to cheat, you can't be that great at it :P.

On a more serious note... the old sprites do have a charm, but to be honest, objectively, these are generally bettr.
THOSE ACCUSATIONS HAVE NEVER BEEN PROVEN. JUST BASELESS ACCUSATIONS.
*cough*

The old sprites are good indeed, but the newer ones are much much better. Too bad we won't have it in English though. I wonder what Alchemist would do if Witch-Hunt sent them the English translation for free.

But since that won't happen, I guess I better improve my Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
Not really digging the new art. It looks too much like something Tim Burton would have made.
How is looking like something Tim Burton would have made bad in any way shape or form?
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 19:57   Link #88
Thunder Book
Endless Member

I'm just not a fan of his art style. It just all looks terrible IMO.

Some of his movies are okay, but the visuals tend to annoy me too much.
Old 2010-09-14, 19:58   Link #89
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

I think the opening is fine, keep in mind that a new reader wouldn't even remember any characters from the opening, because they don't even know who these characters are. You guys are expecting them to remember all 30 strangers and the things they do in a 1:50 opening.
RamzaOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 20:04   Link #90
Axilios
Golden penguin

Send a message via MSN to Axilios
Well, I guess I will be one of the only ones who will be okay with LaplaceNoMa, I really don't like the new sprites, and can't even find them "beautiful" at all.
It isn't the same style of drawing, that's all (which is not a positive thing, making something "better" have no meaning if you have to change the graphical style).
The fact that the "improvement" is REALLY minimal compared to Higurashi-higurashi PS2 doesn't help.
And it is even worse with some of them, like Kanon, or Genji. I didn't liked anime-Kanon at all, and it's more or less the same problem with this one.

Not for me, at all. Well, at least I wasn't expecting too much, so no deception here.

Also, the opening's music. It is not bad, but after katayoku no tori, umineko no naku koro ni, witch of occultics and Kiri no pithos... It almost sounds boring.
Well, doing something as good as the SN's ones would have been really hard.
Axilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 20:08   Link #91
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
THOSE ACCUSATIONS HAVE NEVER BEEN PROVEN. JUST BASELESS ACCUSATIONS.
*cough*

The old sprites are good indeed, but the newer ones are much much better. Too bad we won't have it in English though. I wonder what Alchemist would do if Witch-Hunt sent them the English translation for free.

But since that won't happen, I guess I better improve my Japanese.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. IMO with the exception of a couple of characters the alchemists sprites have no love. They look plastic in comparison to me.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 20:09   Link #92
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Wait, so about those sprites Judoh...

Without love, they cannot be seen?
Old 2010-09-14, 20:10   Link #93
catastrophe8
Self Proclaimed Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
Tim Burton = WIN

But I second the fact that the art isn't that good IMO, especially Beatrice.
catastrophe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 20:37   Link #94
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

About the character portraits. I think there are two factors to consider.

One thing is the ability to draw things in a proportionate, pleasant and detailed manner.
One thing is the ability to draw facial expressions that can actually convey the intended feeling.

Ryuukishi isn't particularly gifted on the first. Everyone who knows a bit of art and drawings can understand at first glance that he's an amateur and that he makes a lot of mistakes and odd stuff.

However Ryuukishi's ability to draw interesting facial expressions with few traits is on a level that very few artists can reach.

Now for what concerns the artist behind this umineko remake for PS3, I think he's average in both. So from one side is a lot better, but from the other side is certainly worse.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 21:28   Link #95
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Now for what concerns the artist behind this umineko remake for PS3, I think he's average in both. So from one side is a lot better, but from the other side is certainly worse.
I wouldn't call it worse, just much less exagerated compared to Ryukishi's designs.
Ryukishi tends to compensate the fact that he can't really draw for the hell of it, by overexagerating certain features which in return makes the characters look cool in a very strange way...
I understand how that works, in drawing class it was the same with me.

I think the remake artworks are more pleasent to the eye, but of course they don't have that certain plasticy warpedness about them, which created those 'troll faces' that everyone is talking about.
Well, I never liked Umineko just because of the trolling, like so many people seem to do, so I actually like the new designs quite a bit. They make the characters function for me outside of the wackiness they conveyed in the magical scenes...most of the time when sad scenes came up I prefered to focus on the text instead of the characters.

Especially Ange for my taste is a definite improvement. In the original she looked way to chubby and almost like she had no neck...
Old 2010-09-14, 22:25   Link #96
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I like the new art, while I find Ryukishi's art style to be charming to a point I just want pretty art and I think this new Alchemist game is delivering that. They're keeping most/all of the tracks from the games and are adding voice acting and I assume nice special effects. So far I can say I'm not disappointed with this at all.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 23:01   Link #97
OgodItsKanon
ばかな王女様
*Artist

Oyah, Beato's new trollfaces are freakin. EPIC.

Anyways, the new art looks really nice. The sprites actually change poses a bit more now.

"FOR THE LOVE OF HARUHI, BATTLER, TAKE YOUR HAND OUT OF YOUR POCKET! D:" -Me before I saw Battler's PS3 sprites
Old 2010-09-14, 23:34   Link #98
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe8 View Post
Tim Burton = WIN

But I second the fact that the art isn't that good IMO, especially Beatrice.
errr looking at Burton's last filming direction I would be to differ, style is nice though
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 00:38   Link #99
winter 923

I am pro-fantasy. But then i don't see why both should contradict each other, i think its possible to have a detective novel in a fantasy setting as long as there are rules.

Yes just for the detective work you probably wouldn't need art, as a sheet of paper would be sufficient. But the visual and arcustic art have great feelings so that i can enjoy this piece of art to the fullest and later go back and try to solve the mystery.

I have to agree 100% with Jan-Poo. R07's drawings are "bad" but they have great emotions. And after year's maybe I'm a bit biased toward him. Then the PS3 remake CG's some are great and some just feel weird but i guess it isn't fair to judge it from 20 pics.
If they have every spoken line dubbed its worth its money. I really liked some of the voice acting in the anime.
Old 2010-09-15, 01:14   Link #100
Mihara Yuki
I...I don't know...
*Fansubber

Send a message via Yahoo to Mihara Yuki
What is the problem with the sprites anyway?

I agree with momobunny.I like a pretty sprites as it would make me enthusiast me to play more because I have a tendecy to getting bored when playing a long game.

However,I doesn't like the way Battler and Maria sprites drawn here.They look odd and weird,and what's wrong with the muscular Goat-kun? Do they give up on flesh and turn on the steroid instead? Beato crescent moon smile look familliar too.

I support Black Battler
Mihara Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote