AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-09-26, 09:29   Link #1
Shinjite

Windows 7 How to change language spelling?

Hello,

I got a question regarding Windows 7.
When i type in english pretty much all my words get the ''red'' line under the english word as in saying ''That word is spelled wrong!''

I find it annoying because when i try to correct that spelling it only gives me options that are from my main language. When i think the English word that i spelled is wrong i have to go to google to see if the spelling is correct.

How do i get my computer to check English spelling when writing on a website?

Have found a sub tab in the configuration tab (Start > configuration) with Country and language, and have put something on US English and the date and time index on my taskbar did change from Dutch to English but it did not solve my problem.

Do i have to put my keyboard language on US English?
Shinjite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 15:21   Link #2
monster

Windows doesn't have a system-wide spell-checker as far as I know. If you're typing on a website, then you'll have to change your browser's dictionary.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 16:49   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Go to "Control Panel" -> "Change keyboard and other input methods" -> "Keyboards and languages" tab -> "Change Keyboards"

You probably now have a US or US International keyboard under "NL Dutch (Netherlands)". Click "Add..." to add this keyboard again (this time picking English as language of course).

When you do this you should be able to pick between "EN" and "NL" in the taskbar (lower-right).

In at least Microsoft Word this affects which language a text is written in, and spelling check is applied accordingly. To fix existing text, open the document, select the text (or all text) and change the language using the "Set Language" ("Taal instellen") function somewhere in the menu ribbons.

If you want to change the spelling in Firefox, you need to install a different dictionary (Google it). Or alternatively install the English version of Firefox (that's what I always do as I always write more English than Dutch online).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 02:25   Link #4
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjite View Post
Hello,

I got a question regarding Windows 7.
When i type in english pretty much all my words get the ''red'' line under the english word as in saying ''That word is spelled wrong!''

I find it annoying because when i try to correct that spelling it only gives me options that are from my main language. When i think the English word that i spelled is wrong i have to go to google to see if the spelling is correct.

How do i get my computer to check English spelling when writing on a website?

Have found a sub tab in the configuration tab (Start > configuration) with Country and language, and have put something on US English and the date and time index on my taskbar did change from Dutch to English but it did not solve my problem.

Do i have to put my keyboard language on US English?
How about you tell us which browser you're using? Because the underlining thing is not Windows' doing - it's the browser. Opera and Firefox perform spellchecks on user-authored texts and it's easy to change that by switching to a different dictionary. Switching to a different kb language on Windows (aside from the consequences on Word that GHDPro listed) only affects the keyboard layout - it changes nothing about languages and spelling.
Old 2010-09-27, 04:05   Link #5
Shinjite

I use Firefox 3.6

I have installed a english version of firefox.
Problem is now that it doesn't show any red lines under the words when i make a spelling error or write in Dutch.
Old 2010-09-27, 05:48   Link #6
sa547
*Author

I don't know if this'll be okay, but

1.) Go to and type about:config in the address. This'll take you under the hood, but just be careful!
2.) Then, using the Filter to narrow down the specific configuration, you go to the setting spellchecker.dictionary which should show what spellchecker language you're using.
3.) For US English spelling, the setting is en-US.
Old 2010-09-27, 06:10   Link #7
Shinjite

Alright i have got a spelling checking on my firefox finaly, Thanks all of you.