AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-10-29, 12:53   Link #3661
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The exact phrase from The Sneaker was 2010年内発売予定, which translates to "Planning to be on sale by the end of 2010." Since we have all of the solicitations from The Sneaker Library until December, it's extremely unlikely that the book will be sold this year.

I hope that they will have the book on sale when you visit, but there's no guarantee that it'll be on sale currently.
And according to this IR report (linked from yunakiti), it's now "fiscal year."

Quote:
 4月30日発売の「ザ・スニーカー6月号」において「涼宮ハルヒの驚愕」が年度内、文庫本として発売されることが発表されました。
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 15:31   Link #3662
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Nice stealth delay there.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 00:44   Link #3663
ijuinkun

Fiscal years usually go from April through March in Japan, so that would put it any time during the first quarter of 2011.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 14:57   Link #3664
jasper222

Hey guys, I just thought up a weird theory. If this has been said already then please disregard it.

I was just skimming through the manga Medaka Box when I somehow came across a particular scene. The words "trump card" floated through my head, and it linked with this series, and something Koizumi said about a trump card.

Kyon's trump card consists of this:

1.) I am John Smith.

With that, everything would change. However, there is one other trump card that Koizumi failed to mention. Or maybe, it just slipped his mind. He suggested it during the Endless Eight arc, which Kyon vehemently rejected.

The other trump card would be:

2.) I Love You.

Just an idea lol.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 16:34   Link #3665
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
Hey guys, I just thought up a weird theory. If this has been said already then please disregard it.

I was just skimming through the manga Medaka Box when I somehow came across a particular scene. The words "trump card" floated through my head, and it linked with this series, and something Koizumi said about a trump card.

1.) I am John Smith.

With that, everything would change. However, there is one other trump card that Koizumi failed to mention. Or maybe, it just slipped his mind. He suggested it during the Endless Eight arc, which Kyon vehemently rejected.

2.) I Love You.

Just an idea lol.
Not really equivalent from Kyon's perspective. The former nets him a clear win, and gives him control over the whole deck. But if he ever plays the latter, he loses instantly... ^_^
Old 2010-10-30, 21:32   Link #3666
blooglah24

Quote:

1.) I am John Smith.

2.) I Love You.

Just an idea lol.
I don't think the second one would really work out. The reason why his John Smith line is his trump card is because if he ever tells Haruhi, it would absolutely blow her mind and get her to believe pretty much anything he tells her. From there he can get her to use her powers to eliminate whatever threat it is that forced him to play the card.

On the other hand, him telling Haruhi that he loves her wouldn't really change much and in fact, she'd probably be pretty receptive to the idea. And as quigonkenny said, it would be a loss from Kyon's perspective since to him apparently, HaruhiXKyon is a nightmare too horrible to even imagine (even if that's not really how he feels ).

The reason Koizumi suggested that line during E8 was just as a way to shake things up and hopefully get them out of the loop. It really wouldn't give Kyon any kind of 'trump card' advantage if he were to use it.

Last edited by blooglah24; 2010-10-30 at 23:00.
blooglah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 10:58   Link #3667
jasper222

I didn't explain it all since I was sleepy. Now I'm still sleepy, but I'll try to expound.

Something tells me Tanigawa Nagaru will not make the John Smith statement effective. That or another situation will come along and Haruhi knows everything already. This guy has 2 separate storylines, it's not that hard for him to think up something like this.

Now I came up with that while I was thinking about the 2nd trump card. I am an avid fan of One Piece, and what I learned from that manga is to read everything a second, no, even a third time, and consider all minute details and little possibilities. Hence the I Love You part.

Now, what's keeping him from releasing the last novel?
Old 2010-11-01, 14:04   Link #3668
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
I didn't explain it all since I was sleepy. Now I'm still sleepy, but I'll try to expound.

Something tells me Tanigawa Nagaru will not make the John Smith statement effective. That or another situation will come along and Haruhi knows everything already. This guy has 2 separate storylines, it's not that hard for him to think up something like this.

Now I came up with that while I was thinking about the 2nd trump card. I am an avid fan of One Piece, and what I learned from that manga is to read everything a second, no, even a third time, and consider all minute details and little possibilities. Hence the I Love You part.

Now, what's keeping him from releasing the last novel?
So, are you saying everything along the lines of "If Haruhi has given up with the world even if John Smith doesn't work, the next best thing would be to say 'I Love You'"? But in order for the John Smith trump card to not work she would either not believe him (which is unlikely), hate John Smith (even more unlikely), or know everything already (but what we've seen so far, is also very unlikely).

And even if Kyon says "I Love You" to Haruhi, would she even believe that he really does? I don't know about you, but if some guy (or girl) always hated whatever you were doing suddenly came up to say "I Love You", how would you react?

. . . and don't say surprised.
Othello~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 22:13   Link #3669
ijuinkun

How she would react to Kyon confessing love would depend heavily upon how she actually feels about him under the surface. If she had already decided that she was attracted to him and wanted him to love her then she would be much more accepting than if she regarded him as "that stick-in-the-mud" that she treats him like on the surface.
Old 2010-11-02, 02:52   Link #3670
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
How she would react to Kyon confessing love would depend heavily upon how she actually feels about him under the surface. If she had already decided that she was attracted to him and wanted him to love her then she would be much more accepting than if she regarded him as "that stick-in-the-mud" that she treats him like on the surface.
The impression that I've gotten thus far is that Haruhi is aware that Kyon means more to her than most people, but then again, so do the other members of the SOS Brigade. Yes, hints are dropped that she cares what he thinks about her (like messing around with a ponytail near the end of Sigh), but you know what? The other three are the epitome of yes-men. If any of those three ever offered up an opinion of their own, there's no reason to think Haruhi would refuse ("Don't forget about goldfish scooping! It's a rare request from Mikuru-chan."); however, they just DON'T. Haruhi doesn't care what they think because they don't have anything to say.

So, would saying "I love you" do anything? I do think it would be a pretty big deal. After all, Haruhi is a threat to the world's stability because she's dissatisfied with it; this might go a long way towards satisfying her. On the other hand, I get the impression (and I could be dead wrong, having not read more than bits and pieces of the later novels) that Haruhi's role is largely diminished later on, as other powerful players join the game. How big of a deal are these "trump cards," anyway?

My final thought about the two phrases is that each works in a complete opposite way. One is intended to shock Haruhi into preserving the world because it's how she imagined all along. The other is supposed to lull her into doing the same because she's satisfied with less. They're definitely not interchangeable.
Old 2010-11-02, 05:34   Link #3671
jasper222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello~ View Post
So, are you saying everything along the lines of "If Haruhi has given up with the world even if John Smith doesn't work, the next best thing would be to say 'I Love You'"? But in order for the John Smith trump card to not work she would either not believe him (which is unlikely), hate John Smith (even more unlikely), or know everything already (but what we've seen so far, is also very unlikely).
Maybe. I think that John Smith statement wouldn't work. You can't guarantee that the alternate mindwiped Haruhi would act the same as the Haruhi of Kyon's dimension. It also wouldn't make sense that she would believe everything right away, as shown by the end of Book 1, where Kyon told Haruhi everything about the other 3 Brigade members. She just brushed it away. Also, take note that assuming that the John Smith statement not working is unlikely is bad. Anything can happen at this point, and if fans can predict what's going to happen next then I'd say Tanigawa Nagaru did a half-assed job. We've got to cover all bases and see if we got it right.

Quote:
And even if Kyon says "I Love You" to Haruhi, would she even believe that he really does? I don't know about you, but if some guy (or girl) always hated whatever you were doing suddenly came up to say "I Love You", how would you react?
Remember the saying 'Jokes are half-meant'? Even if Haruhi hears from Kyon afterwards that it was all a joke, deep down she can't resist the fact that one she likes told her these things. Also, really? Haruhi hates Kyon? I don't know what book you're reading, but it's clear as distilled drinking water she has a thing for him. It's just like the boy bullies the girl he likes, only in this case it's vice-versa.

Quote:
. . . and don't say surprised.

Quote:
Yes it would depend on that subconscious feeling of love or whatever you call it. However, what hints do we have aside from first person rambles that Kyon likes her? Does he send out external signs? Hints? Yes, there is none.

It's kind of like this. You treat someone of the opposite gender like trash, but you like him/her. You keep the facade up since he/she isn't showing any signs of being remotely interested in you. All of a sudden you're thrust into a life-threatening situation, and he/she suddenly tells you that he/she likes you.

That's the reaction I'm anticipating .. IF and ONLY IF Kyon would say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
The impression that I've gotten thus far is that Haruhi is aware that Kyon means more to her than most people, but then again, so do the other members of the SOS Brigade. Yes, hints are dropped that she cares what he thinks about her (like messing around with a ponytail near the end of Sigh), but you know what? The other three are the epitome of yes-men. If any of those three ever offered up an opinion of their own, there's no reason to think Haruhi would refuse ("Don't forget about goldfish scooping! It's a rare request from Mikuru-chan."); however, they just DON'T. Haruhi doesn't care what they think because they don't have anything to say.

So, would saying "I love you" do anything? I do think it would be a pretty big deal. After all, Haruhi is a threat to the world's stability because she's dissatisfied with it; this might go a long way towards satisfying her. On the other hand, I get the impression (and I could be dead wrong, having not read more than bits and pieces of the later novels) that Haruhi's role is largely diminished later on, as other powerful players join the game. How big of a deal are these "trump cards," anyway?

My final thought about the two phrases is that each works in a complete opposite way. One is intended to shock Haruhi into preserving the world because it's how she imagined all along. The other is supposed to lull her into doing the same because she's satisfied with less. They're definitely not interchangeable.
This.
Old 2010-11-02, 11:02   Link #3672
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Remember the saying 'Jokes are half-meant'? Even if Haruhi hears from Kyon afterwards that it was all a joke, deep down she can't resist the fact that one she likes told her these things. Also, really? Haruhi hates Kyon? I don't know what book you're reading, but it's clear as distilled drinking water she has a thing for him. It's just like the boy bullies the girl he likes, only in this case it's vice-versa.
Maybe I worded it a bit wrong . I know that Haruhi "likes" Kyon but I always thought of it as some highschool crush as you explained with the boy bullies girl vice-versa. Which is also why I thought Haruhi wouldn't believe Kyon at first when he said I love you to her. I'd think she'd be a bit more confused then happy, to be honest. And yes, her subconscious might like it but would Haruhi like it? I just don't like it when someone just comes up and says "I love you" and the other character's reaction is "Oh! Me too!". It just doesn't seem realistic to me.

. . . But of course this is Haruhi's subconscious we are dealing with here so maybe it wouldn't be her reaction but her subconscious's reaction, which would indeed make her happy but how would any of that solve any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4
The other is supposed to lull her into doing the same because she's satisfied with less.
It could solve problems only when it's Haruhi who's the problem, not outside forces. But of course, this third party could affect Haruhi's stand on life in which case, "John Smith" wouldn't be a good trump to play. It would be a waste on something that could affect Haruhi's veiw of Kyon (if remembering an alt-Haruhi who adored Kyon to no end because of it). So maybe you are right in this case.

Now, it only depends on what "problem" they get into. Otherwise, this discussion would only be pointing out what "could" happen and not what "will" happen. Just a thought .
Old 2010-11-02, 12:21   Link #3673
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
. . . But of course this is Haruhi's subconscious we are dealing with here so maybe it wouldn't be her reaction but her subconscious's reaction, which would indeed make her happy but how would any of that solve any problems?
Because it's her subconscious that's breaking everything?
Old 2010-11-02, 13:27   Link #3674
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:

1.) I am John Smith.

2.) I Love You.

Just an idea lol.
Ooooohh... Nice...

I never thought that there might be more than one...

All Glory to the Greentext.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 14:22   Link #3675
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Spoiler for speculation:
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 15:21   Link #3676
DurararaFTW

Quote:
Maybe. I think that John Smith statement wouldn't work. You can't guarantee that the alternate mindwiped Haruhi would act the same as the Haruhi of Kyon's dimension. It also wouldn't make sense that she would believe everything right away, as shown by the end of Book 1, where Kyon told Haruhi everything about the other 3 Brigade members. She just brushed it away. Also, take note that assuming that the John Smith statement not working is unlikely is bad. Anything can happen at this point, and if fans can predict what's going to happen next then I'd say Tanigawa Nagaru did a half-assed job. We've got to cover all bases and see if we got it right.
She didn't believe him at the end of book 1 because he just came out and said something ridiculous with no proof.

But considering that she never told anyone about the boy she met, Kyon coming out with his name, a detailed description of what he said and the fact that Haruhi in the back of her head knows he looks like John, never mind the orangehair "sister" he had with him at the time, I can't see her not believing it. What there not to believe?
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 22:12   Link #3677
ijuinkun

Quote:
Maybe I worded it a bit wrong . I know that Haruhi "likes" Kyon but I always thought of it as some highschool crush as you explained with the boy bullies girl vice-versa. Which is also why I thought Haruhi wouldn't believe Kyon at first when he said I love you to her. I'd think she'd be a bit more confused then happy, to be honest. And yes, her subconscious might like it but would Haruhi like it? I just don't like it when someone just comes up and says "I love you" and the other character's reaction is "Oh! Me too!". It just doesn't seem realistic to me.
Another point is that Haruhi may worry that he'll start acting like Taniguchi if she ever started showing attraction. In many scenes of "Melancholy" she seems to be projecting "All men are the same, and I dare you to prove me wrong".
Old 2010-11-04, 18:34   Link #3678
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Another point is that Haruhi may worry that he'll start acting like Taniguchi if she ever started showing attraction. In many scenes of "Melancholy" she seems to be projecting "All men are the same, and I dare you to prove me wrong".
I find it funny how both Haruhi AND Kyon look down at Taniguchi. The only reason that I think Kyon even hangs out with him is because he's "The Bridge of Nomalcy" .
Old 2010-11-07, 02:07   Link #3679
tetorapetora

Spoiler for Speculation, speculation and...speculation:

I may be wrong, it's been a while since I read the novels, and I apologize if my English is not top quality, I'm still improving, having 2 native languages, the must learn English, and the optional ones, are just overwhelming ^^.
tetorapetora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 16:52   Link #3680
schildi

Hi,

what is your basis for this speculation?
I saw the two seasons and read the 4 English light novels. I hope that is enough to participate (unfortunatly I can't read the Japanese light novels -.-).
Or have I missed out on anything?

greetings from Germany
schildi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga