AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-05, 05:47   Link #421
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I just can't tell if all the things I find so strange about this show are jarring or brilliant.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-02-05 at 06:07.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 05:50   Link #422
Tjaard
Welcome to Kourindou

Send a message via MSN to Tjaard
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post
Spoiler for some Avi and i cover them:

I'll be using this. Thanks
Np, go ahead
Old 2011-02-05, 14:50   Link #423
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I just can't tell if all the things I find so strange about this show are jarring or brilliant.
I think the answer is going to be "yes".... its certainly "out of the rut" in some ways.
Old 2011-02-05, 15:14   Link #424
hoarfrost

It's regrettable that a show that's been doing so well so far had to sully itself with one of those childish cliche hero speech/sacrifice scenes. My eyes rolled. Even with Yumekui's interesting presentation that sort of scene doesn't cease being facile.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 15:18   Link #425
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
It's regrettable that a show that's been doing so well so far had to sully itself with one of those childish cliche hero speech/sacrifice scenes. My eyes rolled. Even with Yumekui's interesting presentation that sort of scene doesn't cease being facile.
What would you have preferred? No matter what, it was going to be cliche in one way or another.
Old 2011-02-05, 16:15   Link #426
hoarfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
What would you have preferred? No matter what, it was going to be cliche in one way or another.
I would prefer for Merry, the one's who's been taking care of herself since 10 years before she met Yumeji, to know how to get herself out of a hairy situation. Or that the writing not manufacture a dangerous situation so that was can see how GAR Yumeji is.

If the resolution to the situation was "going to be cliche" either way (something which I don't think writers ought to be using as an excuse by the way) then the solution is to not back yourself up into corners where a cliche or Deux Ex Machina is required to get you out. This could be done by actually allowing characters to be harmed, not putting your characters into potentially fatal situations if you don't intend for them to be harmed at all, or having the intervening character use a bit of sense or training to resolve these kinds of situations, rather than plot armor.

I called Fractale out on poor writing in episode 3. This show is also one of the few that I've developed standards for, and thus will be critical when they aren't met. It doesn't affect my experience of the show to a drastic degree, but its also not something that I'm just going to allow to pass.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 21:35   Link #427
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxasvsriku View Post
Also Engi freebie:

Can I have this?

Last edited by broken270; 2011-02-05 at 21:51.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 01:45   Link #428
Roxasvsriku
★★★★★
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken270 View Post
Can I have this?
Sure go ahead. =]
Roxasvsriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 03:29   Link #429
Xion Valkyrie

It blows my mind that Engi's wings are actually her hair.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 09:14   Link #430
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
If the resolution to the situation was "going to be cliche" either way (something which I don't think writers ought to be using as an excuse by the way) then the solution is to not back yourself up into corners where a cliche or Deux Ex Machina is required to get you out. This could be done by actually allowing characters to be harmed, not putting your characters into potentially fatal situations if you don't intend for them to be harmed at all, or having the intervening character use a bit of sense or training to resolve these kinds of situations, rather than plot armor.
Merry doesn't know who she is, what better way than have an emotional shock and get back her memories? Nobody left but Yumeji to help do that, so...I'd say it was handled pretty well.
Next ep looks like it will be the turning point from "promising" to "actually interesting".
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 10:13   Link #431
ReddyRedWolf

Well one thing is for sure Engi can't see what her vessel sees unless she takes over. Unlike John Doe she is clueless about Merry being a Real Person and a Dream Demon.

Can't wait to see her ask what the heck Merry is.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 12:09   Link #432
Stefkov

Merry being around for 10 years was quite a shock. For her to not remember anything in that time is really quite sad. As is the news of what she's actually been doing all this time.
I was screaming out whilst watching the episode for Merry and Engi, having realised both of their objectives is to defeat other Dream Demons, to talk to each other to clear some more things up.

I really can't wait for the next episode now.

I really like that all the Dream Demons have different shapes in their eyes. I just think that's a neat touch.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 13:47   Link #433
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefkov View Post
I really like that all the Dream Demons have different shapes in their eyes. I just think that's a neat touch.
Makes you wonder what Jhon's shape is…
Old 2011-02-07, 05:38   Link #434
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

A simple signature:

Free to use.
Old 2011-02-07, 05:55   Link #435
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
A simple signature:

Free to use.
ok this is mine thanks!
another MERRY go round!

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 06:05   Link #436
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefkov View Post
Merry being around for 10 years was quite a shock. For her to not remember anything in that time is really quite sad. As is the news of what she's actually been doing all this time.
I was screaming out whilst watching the episode for Merry and Engi, having realised both of their objectives is to defeat other Dream Demons, to talk to each other to clear some more things up.

I really can't wait for the next episode now.

Their objectives are very different. Merry wants to go home. In defeating Dream Demons was hope she can hitch a ride back home. Engi says there is no way home and they die in this Reality. Engi is just out for revenge for her sister. Engi isn't discriminating between symbiotic dream demons and parasitic dream demons.

It occurs to me Dream Demons only crossover halfway. Which is why they need hosts. Merry is probably the only Dream Demon as far as we know that fully crossed over to Reality. But this has a price, her memory. Most cases we see Dream Demons crossing over do so with their own free will, Merry doesn't want to be in Reality. Whether it was her choice or an accident we would have to find out.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 06:53   Link #437
MAR Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
Actually,in the manga, Yumeiji said that he wanted to try doing something like that once.
MAR Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 12:08   Link #438
Roxasvsriku
★★★★★
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
A simple signature:

Free to use.
Any chance I could get my name on that somewhere? Would like to use for another forum if you don't mind. =]

Two more freebies in return.
Old 2011-02-07, 12:31   Link #439
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxasvsriku View Post
Any chance I could get my name on that somewhere? Would like to use for another forum if you don't mind. =]
I am at work now, but I make a fast one.

Old 2011-02-07, 12:50   Link #440
Roxasvsriku
★★★★★
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I am at work now, but I make a fast one.

Its perfect, thank you. =]

Tags
fantasy, seinen