AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-17, 13:38   Link #161
Albert

Episode 2 VERY COOL...
This encourages is walking to be my favorite one!
Old 2004-10-17, 19:52   Link #162
UssoKK

Something that caught me off gaurd about episode 1:
Albert went very quickly from being a polite, kind-hearted, nice kid to a promiscoius playboy in a second.
Spoiler:
seemed like a total disconnect from the boy before.

I guess it shows us that even nice teenagers (Aren't Franz + Albert like 15 or 16 0_o) can fall to a wild lifestyle, seeing how he and his friends have the whole world open to them. That and he needed some cheering up, but he still seemed to young and gentle for that kind of....activity

Oh well, I still like him. GONZO seems to make great main characters- I can personally relate to Claus from Last Exile and Albert (and Franz to a degree).
Old 2004-10-17, 20:03   Link #163
OshadowO

WOw this is a super cool anime. I really like the presentation. The look is so surreal.
Now to the people who are pissed off that the original story was changed, well jeez, why not go pick up a hollywood made movie or some other adaption that is faithful? Why keep bashing this one. It might be a good anime on its own merits (and so far it seems like it is). Its not the first time story tellers have taken license with classic works and changed the story (Lord of the rings anyone).

Chill guys, its a pretty good anime so far.
Old 2004-10-19, 07:35   Link #164
Pandora
Poisoned

Which Gankutsuou fansub do you recommend?

Hi, just want to ask your opinion on which Gankutsuou fansub is the best. I got the Anime-Keep version for ep 1. But since Death Squad is the only group to have subbed ep 2 so far, I want to ask if they are good or not. Thanks!

Last edited by Keitaro; 2004-10-19 at 21:38. Reason: Merged thread
Old 2004-10-19, 18:42   Link #165
fierysky

Well, it mostly depends on taste. I've downloaded all 3 version of Gankutsuou (A-Keep, DeathSquad and A-Kraze) released and I liked Anime-kraze's version the best. Anime-kraze has sharper visuals and the color is more viberant. Though quality of their video is better, they are also the slowest subber out of the three.

As for translations, all three are similar except with differences in wording. The main idea is basically the same though. How close is each sub to the original dialouge I'm not sure since my Japanese is very poor.

If you are a person who likes larger subtitles, Death Squad probably isn't for you; their subtitles are small. The other two has bigger subtitles.

My suggestion is, download all three and pick one that you like the best. If you are one of those who can't wait for the next episode to come out, then download which ever comes out first. Or you can always wait for the fansub gruop you like to release their version.
Old 2004-10-20, 04:39   Link #166
DrewGSR

Just finished watching episode 2, this episode is looking to be better then i thought i was going to be. Looking forward to episode 3. I'm sticking with A-Keeps subs because I have gone with AKeep through so many anime shows and have felt they ahve done a good job and enjoy there subs.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-20, 19:05   Link #167
FlyByNite

So watching ep 2, is it just me or does anyone else find their gaze drawn to the transparent hair/wigs or moving clothing and it make you miss stuff during scenes?

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-20, 22:54   Link #168
shiznitty

you mean girl :P
Old 2004-10-21, 01:09   Link #169
Budweineken
Crap

For the people who have seen the movie or are familiar with the story... (i have only seen the most recent one)

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-21, 01:24   Link #170
philupthetank86

Send a message via AIM to philupthetank86 Send a message via MSN to philupthetank86 Send a message via Yahoo to philupthetank86
i saw the count of monte cristo, and i dont remember him being a vampire.

oh well.

this anime is awesome
Old 2004-10-21, 03:37   Link #171
BeNighted
To Bid You Farewell

I just finished watching Gankutsuou 1-2 and I'm really impressed! I had no idea what to expect, other than a headache from the weird visuals.. but now that I've taken the time to watch both of them, I couldn't be more excited about the prospects of this anime

Monte Cristo was an excellent character.. charismatic, dark, vampiric. I could see him making all the other characters seem dull, because he shines much more than they do. Did I mention he's badass?

The only thing I didn't like was the OP. It just didn't really strike me as a good song, which is a shame, because the rest of the series has had excellent music so far.

I'm sticking with the anime for sure. I have no idea how many episodes it's supposed to be though, but with this level of animation, I couldn't see it being 26 and staying consistent. Gonzo have done it again
Old 2004-10-26, 15:50   Link #172
7thMethuselah

Indeed, gankutsuou offers rather amazing, if unconventional graphics, took a few minutes to get used too but beautiful nonetheless. The dark, mysterious, slightly gothic atmosphere does draw you in from the very first minute.

The count himself is a very interesting character who's charisma instantly appeals to our young baron I don't think I've ever read the book so the story does have me intrigued. It seemed to me though that the Count had set up the entire abduction scenario just to get a connection to get to Paris although that fact seemed wrong at the end of ep 2 .

Oh , a nice touch, when we get the view of earth and the moon at the end, the moon looks just like a skull, cool
Old 2004-10-27, 04:07   Link #173
DrewGSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by philupthetank86
i saw the count of monte cristo, and i dont remember him being a vampire.
I dunno if your being serious or not but NO he isn't or was a vampire in the Count of Monte Cristo movie or novel. This is simply just a adaptation of the novel/movie but with a twist, though they did hack or skip out some parts. It takes place in the future, all sci fi, in outer space and he is a not human in the anime. Overall I'm liking and enjoying this show since I liked both the novel and movie.
Old 2004-10-27, 07:53   Link #174
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Indeed, gankutsuou offers rather amazing, if unconventional graphics, took a few minutes to get used too but beautiful nonetheless. The dark, mysterious, slightly gothic atmosphere does draw you in from the very first minute.

The count himself is a very interesting character who's charisma instantly appeals to our young baron I don't think I've ever read the book so the story does have me intrigued. It seemed to me though that the Count had set up the entire abduction scenario just to get a connection to get to Paris although that fact seemed wrong at the end of ep 2 .

Oh , a nice touch, when we get the view of earth and the moon at the end, the moon looks just like a skull, cool
1. Albert is a Viscount (being the son of a Count).
Old 2004-10-27, 08:30   Link #175
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Disclaimer: I haven't read the novel.

IMO Franz is a much, much more sympathetic character than Albert (at least, that's what I thought after watching episode 2). He just seems more loyal and reliable, whereas Albert comes across as being rather naive, fickle and immature. I think it's interesting to have a flawed main character, but I feel pretty bad for Franz. Chances are he'll be forced to pick up the pieces whenever Albert screws up.
Old 2004-10-27, 08:57   Link #176
Kimblee

Ep 3 was interesting.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-27, 09:45   Link #177
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimblee
Ep 3 was interesting.
Spoiler:
His body looks heavily augmented with alien tech. When Vampa stabs the Count in the arm? in episode 2, the blade comes out coated with clear fluid instead of red blood. Also, his present alien appearance bears some resemblance to Haydee's(who appears briefly in episode 1).
In episode 3, we find out that Earth and her planets are at war with an alien empire, which apparently takes the place of the Ottoman Empire in this adaptation. Monte Cristo also admits to having traveled within the Empire.

Spoiler for book:

P.S. Just watched the ED in its entirety for the first time. Wow, it defines seizure-inducing. Fantastic.

Last edited by glyph; 2004-10-27 at 11:00.
Old 2004-10-27, 15:25   Link #178
ato
Oups...

Spoiler for Episode 3:

But, damn, that Count is such a badass - Few people in litterature are so obsessed with revenge as he is, and even work out the revenge in the excruciating detail he does
Old 2004-10-27, 18:26   Link #179
auriya

Gankutsuou amazed me.

At first, looking at screencaps, I wasn't sure that I'd like the unusual animation style. But seeing it in motion...wow! Dizzying, and yet very lovely--and, of course, unique. Sometimes it almost reminded me of a Klimt painting.

Also, the plot and character development are wonderful. I have never read the novel, though I know the basics of the story, so I don't mind the alterations at all. I like the way they've made the setting sci-fi without losing all the historical elements; for example, the Count has a horse-drawn carriage, but the horses are robotic.

And I think I'm one of the few people who actually likes the OP. Though maybe that's just because I'm in love with this show in general for the moment.
Old 2004-10-27, 19:39   Link #180
SidSavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph
His body looks heavily augmented with alien tech. When Vampa stabs the Count in the arm? in episode 2, the blade comes out coated with clear fluid instead of red blood. Also, his present alien appearance bears some resemblance to Haydee's(who appears briefly in episode 1).
In episode 3, we find out that Earth and her planets are at war with an alien empire, which apparently takes the place of the Ottoman Empire in this adaptation. Monte Cristo also admits to having traveled within the Empire.

Spoiler for book:

P.S. Just watched the ED in its entirety for the first time. Wow, it defines seizure-inducing. Fantastic.
Spoiler:

I'm still not too keen on the Count being some sort of vampire. I think it's kind of overblown, especially when he made his enterence.

I could also never picture Maximilian as some sort of hulk. At least they kept the romance aspects in place for now.
Closed Thread