AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2011-05-11, 10:54   Link #521
Sides

2012 really? Does it man we get Xillia this year?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 12:11   Link #522
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out in America this year. Also Xillia is out in Japan in Autumn this year, early 2012 makes perfect sense to release Graces F, near the end of 2012 for Xillia

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 13:04   Link #523
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
When you click to the feature tab, kind of hints to ps3. What we need now is a PAL confirmation for Graces, Abyss and Xillia announced for the West.
Why do you need PAL confirmation for something that you can play as NTSC version ? As stated, PS3 has no regionlock. Well there is EU version coming but it's not necessary. Depending on what they do, I might end up getting NTSC version. I got NTSC version of Star Ocean just because they changed the cover to just background instead of having anime characters on it <.<. Though done by different people, it's not unheard of to change covers ..
Old 2011-05-11, 13:20   Link #524
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Graces-f...5137126&sr=1-7

price $40 bit low compare to ussual ps3 game

also few name change

Efinea=Ephinea
Arles=Eleth
Cryas=Crius
Windol=Windor

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 13:21   Link #525
Dist

Well it's JRPG .. They're not as popular as some, lets say .. Black Ops. I guess that could explain at least part of the reason for it's price. I'll definitely be getting mine online, from EU or NA .. In here no matter what game, the price tag on it will be $80 <.<
Old 2011-05-11, 13:22   Link #526
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

2012 for Xillia is very optimistic. I'd say 2013 earliest.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 13:33   Link #527
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Why do you need PAL confirmation for something that you can play as NTSC version ? As stated, PS3 has no regionlock. Well there is EU version coming but it's not necessary. Depending on what they do, I might end up getting NTSC version. I got NTSC version of Star Ocean just because they changed the cover to just background instead of having anime characters on it <.<. Though done by different people, it's not unheard of to change covers ..
Seeing that 3DS, 360 and Wii have region lock, the next sony console is likely to have this feature brought back as well, so it is nice to see games getting release in europe, in an official way.
Furthermore a local release hopefully mean that the titles are sold at a more appropriate price, remember the game will be a 2 year old title, or 3, depending how you look at it. And finally the game has DLC, and it is sometime a pain to get NA prepaid cards order online.
But to be really honest i don't really care, as i already have both versions of the game, ToG/F. However i do like to see games release locally, what is the point in selling a console, if your costumers have to import all the games for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
No, you'll get it around 2015 when everyone in Japan have already played and forgotten about it.

I'm just partially kidding.
Actually i wanted to make a joke earlier on, like "2012 wow, just in time for PS4 release"
Old 2011-05-11, 14:21   Link #528
Dist

Region lock simply sucks though. It makes no sense to have one because not all games are even released in EU. Also for all the consoles you mentioned, the region lock can be avoided. for Wii there used to be some disc to boot games but now you can just softmod it. For 3DS there's flashcarts and X360 something else.

Anyway didn't think about those DLC cards .. You used to be able to use your credit card on PSN on NA PSN store if you created new account aside from the one you use and chose NA as your country. That doesn't work anymore though so yeah .. getting those cards could be annoying <.<. Though to be honest after this massive fail Sony had and is still having, I will not spend a penny on Sony's products. It's jailbreak all the way now. The game I will buy though, just cause it's Tales' game.

Btw for Xillia I hope it will be 2013 at least. Looking at the art and everything else, they should take their time to release something great and uhh, not game full of bugs and whatnot which I recall is what Graces was like when it first came out.

But you know, all in all I'm really happy that Namco Bandai is still taking customers outside of Japan in account and are releasing the games internationally. I could not believe it at first when the announcement was made for Graces F ... And now apparently we're getting Abyss 3DS too .. fingers crossed for Xillia when it comes out.
Old 2011-05-11, 14:45   Link #529
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

opps the change it to $60

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Graces-f...dp/B002I0K2J4/

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 15:19   Link #530
Dist

LOL the price was changed suddenly after your post ... Wth ? <_<. Grats to those who preordered it before price change, since their price change guarantee would keep your price at 39,99
Old 2011-05-12, 08:49   Link #531
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
No, you'll get it around 2015 when everyone in Japan have already played and forgotten about it.

I'm just partially kidding.
And I totally believe it. Bamco abuses and neglects it's western audience. "Here America! Have the scraps. We just got a new tales game so you shouldn't mind right?"
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 17:20   Link #532
Dist

^Rather than on going, it was restarted but nothing has happened since the announcement of Graces F and that the fan translation is dropped and they will move back to Vesperia. Well here's hoping it actually resumes one day .. Official release would be better though, but I just don't see it happening ..

Another thing they should work on is the DLC <.<. Japan gets all the cool DLC while EU/NA releases get only a fraction of it, or completey different DLC .. or nothing at all. Just look at what Vesperia had in NA/EU and compare it to the Japanese release <.<

Recite : I don't think it can be called abusing .. Neglecting perhaps but isn't the main reason why so many JRPG's remain untranslated is the fact that there just isn't enough popularity for JRPG fans in the West ? And even part of those people who play JRPG's in the west aren't really fans of them and are always complaining about '' weeaboos '' when they want dual-audio and stuff.

Learning japanese would solve all problems .. bleh why must the language be so hard D:
Old 2011-05-12, 19:54   Link #533
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Neglecting perhaps but isn't the main reason why so many JRPG's remain untranslated is the fact that there just isn't enough popularity for JRPG fans in the West ?
Completely untrue in this case, Vesperia sold over 200,000 copies on the 360, which is fantastic for an anime-themed JRPG.

Namco, however, seems to consider this a failure.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 19:59   Link #534
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The market has changed. In the past, those records would have been fantastic. These days you need close to a million before your game is successful.

Part of that has to do with the increases in budget. Greater cost = more sales required before you gain a profit. The other part is... well, jealousy. Developers see games like Call of Duty sell millions and they start to believe that that is the status.
Old 2011-05-12, 20:10   Link #535
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
These days you need close to a million before your game is successful.
Yes, with American games that are made in America and are designed to appeal to Americans. Vesperia is not one of those games.

Quote:
Greater cost = more sales required before you gain a profit.
They definitely made a profit on localizing Vesperia. It even sold worse in Japan than it did over here.

Quote:
The other part is... well, jealousy. Developers see games like Call of Duty sell millions and they start to believe that that is the status.
Okay, but why does Namco think this? Why don't companies like XSEED or Atlus refuse to localize games in NA just because they don't sell two million copies?
Old 2011-05-12, 21:15   Link #536
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
They definitely made a profit on localizing Vesperia.
This is the main thing. They aren't developing the games for an American initial release. They're merely localizing it to an American audience. This means that it becomes a success the moment its revenues exceed its costs. It doesn't have to hit a certain level of profit to be considered "worth it", since everything after costs are paid is pure gravy.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 23:53   Link #537
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
This is the main thing. They aren't developing the games for an American initial release. They're merely localizing it to an American audience. This means that it becomes a success the moment its revenues exceed its costs. It doesn't have to hit a certain level of profit to be considered "worth it", since everything after costs are paid is pure gravy.
How well did Vesperia sell in the west? I always wondered about that.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 02:30   Link #538
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
A little over 200,000 copies. It's the second-best selling Tales game in North America, after Symphonia.

I might note that it made those numbers even without much in the way of advertising.
Old 2011-05-13, 03:42   Link #539
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Don't know how accurate vgchartz, they have 242479 listed for americas and for PAL regions 116434. It is going to be a bit more, since it is now offered as on demand on live.
If it is true, that is almost half the number ToS did on the GCN. But then again ToS did got a budget release later on, and ToV did suffered from limited reprints. IIRC it wasn't until recent that the game was reprinted and is available in NA back in some stores.

To bad cannot find NA TotA numbers.
Old 2011-05-13, 03:50   Link #540
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Yes, with American games that are made in America and are designed to appeal to Americans. Vesperia is not one of those games.
Logically, yes. Unfortunately the Namco bigwigs responsible for the money aren't looking at it that way.

Quote:
They definitely made a profit on localizing Vesperia. It even sold worse in Japan than it did over here.
I was speaking generally.

Quote:
Okay, but why does Namco think this? Why don't companies like XSEED or Atlus refuse to localize games in NA just because they don't sell two million copies?
Because the people in XSEED and Atlus have working brains and realize not every game can be Call of Duty.

Quote:
A little over 200,000 copies. It's the second-best selling Tales game in North America, after Symphonia.

I might note that it made those numbers even without much in the way of advertising.
To be fair, anyone who would buy a Tales game already knew about it without much in the way of advertising needed.

Tags
game, games, rpg