AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-22, 04:38   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 629 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Now, as I'm sure you guys recall, the previous chapter ended on quite a startling cliffhanger. Just what became of that situation? Let's find out, shall we? Once again, credit goes to the usual guys for the summary (T, aohige):

-Title is "The former Shichibukai who stands in the way". The ministory takes place at Bellemere's grave in Cocoyashi village, where we see various characters like Nojiko, Genzo, and the kid whose village was destroyed by Arlong discover the news of the Straw-Hat's return.

-Nami and Chopper attempt to calm Luffy and Jinbei down. Luffy is ready to ride Megalo back to the palace, but Jinbei uses his Samegawara Seiken against him, which somehow hurts him despite being rubber. Jinbei explains that merman karate is a martial art that controls all water around you, and that it cannot be defended against since attacks travel from the water in the air straight into the water in the opponent's body. Luffy attempts to counter with Gear 2, but Jinbei blocks the attack. As the two of them are about to attack again, Robin appears between them and tells them to stop, but it's too late. Suddenly, she disappears, and both combatants instead collide with Sanji, who tried to save her (lol ).

-The fight stops, and Jinbei takes this time to explain the ideology of the fish-people. He reasons that if Luffy, who defeated Arlong in the past, defeats Hody as well, it may very well remind the fish-people once again of the everlasting cycle of oppression from humans. Sanji asks Hachi if Hody was the one who injured him, and reminds him that they've got good reason to fight against the crew. Luffy prepares to set out again, but Jinbei stops him once more. The two now prepare for a second round......

-At Ryuuguu palace, Hody decides that his brethren would live in the houses of those who were either banished from the island or executed. Meanwhile, at the candy factory, we see Hody's officer Daruma chewing the factory's walls, then apparently he digs a hole into the ground, heading somewhere. Meanwhile, we look back at the captured Straw-Hats at the palace. Brooke has revealed a new ability of his: The power to pull out his soul at will. Usopp is jealous, and Zoro tells Papagg (the starfish) to bring him his swords. The starfish is freaked out by Brooke's soul as he hunts for the swords.....

Well now, this was a most interesting chapter. Kinda interesting that while we were technically right about the fight between Luffy and Jinbei getting interrupted, it still continues nonetheless. Also interesting to see that Jinbei has the advantage over Luffy, after all (for now, anyway). I'm also guessing that Robin used that clone technique that the color spread hinted at, as well (BTW, the spread of those two crashing into Sanji is freaking hilarious ).

Pretty nice that we're starting to see more action from Hody's crew (I really hope we get to see Zeo's abilities next). Still, one has to wonder what's Daruma's business at the candy factory (perhaps it's something to do with the drugs after all)? And Brooke's new power sounds way too awesome for words. Still, one has to wonder how useful it will be in battle.....

Well, a few pics are out now, but the full chap should be released later today!
Old 2011-06-22, 07:13   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Just commenting based on what you've posted here, sounds like Robin has finally learned how to do a 'full body fleur'. Its mentioned that she 'suddenly disappeared', sounds like how she can normally make her limbs sprout and disappear any where, any time.

I've always thought of the possibility of her ability to be mastered to a point where she can essentially 'bunshin', create multiple copies of herself.

And now that she can use 'Mille Fleur', one thousand arms, it would be awesome if she can create one thousand copies of herself.

Brooke sounds like a great power up as well, unless someone has the will or the ability to damage souls, he's probably more indestructible than Logias.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2011-06-22, 07:19   Link #3
ronin myael
lost ronin

i want to sympathize with jinbei, i really do, but i still don't get it. the fight is a waste of time. people are about to die, including the king of fishman island and he has time to worry about how the mermen would feel? if he doesn't want luffy to interfere then why doesn't he fight hody himself and just let luffy rescue his friends? why fight when they can work together? i don't understand.
Old 2011-06-22, 08:36   Link #4
kakakka

So the chapter is out.

I loled at Brooke's new power up.
Old 2011-06-22, 09:59   Link #5
Rainbowman

Review time

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Title is "The former Shichibukai who stands in the way". The ministory takes place at Bellemere's grave in Cocoyashi village, where we see various characters like Nojiko, Genzo, and the kid whose village was destroyed by Arlong discover the news of the Straw-Hat's return.
We finally get that ministory. I wonder who will be in the next ministory? Let's see who we have that may have a ministory: Crocus and Laboon (most likely), Whiskey Peak (not exactly nessessary), Little Garden and/or Dorry and Broggy (not sure), Drum Island with Kureha (most likely; chopper), Alabasta (not sure), Jaya (not sure), Skypiea (most likely), Foxy pirates (maybe), Water 7 (most likely; Franky), CP9 (maybe with possible mention of Robin), Ruins of Thriller Bark along with Lola's pirate crew (most likely with the possible mention of Brook). Nothing more past that point.

Quote:
-Nami and Chopper attempt to calm Luffy and Jinbei down. Luffy is ready to ride Megalo back to the palace, but Jinbei uses his Samegawara Seiken against him, which somehow hurts him despite being rubber. Jinbei explains that merman karate is a martial art that controls all water around you, and that it cannot be defended against since attacks travel from the water in the air straight into the water in the opponent's body. Luffy attempts to counter with Gear 2, but Jinbei blocks the attack. As the two of them are about to attack again, Robin appears between them and tells them to stop, but it's too late. Suddenly, she disappears, and both combatants instead collide with Sanji, who tried to save her (lol ).
This round ended in a tie.

Quote:
-The fight stops, and Jinbei takes this time to explain the ideology of the fish-people. He reasons that if Luffy, who defeated Arlong in the past, defeats Hody as well, it may very well remind the fish-people once again of the everlasting cycle of oppression from humans. Sanji asks Hachi if Hody was the one who injured him, and reminds him that they've got good reason to fight against the crew. Luffy prepares to set out again, but Jinbei stops him once more. The two now prepare for a second round......
Quite a serious situation.

Quote:
-At Ryuuguu palace, Hody decides that his brethren would live in the houses of those who were either banished from the island or executed. Meanwhile, at the candy factory, we see Hody's officer Daruma chewing the factory's walls, then apparently he digs a hole into the ground, heading somewhere. Meanwhile, we look back at the captured Straw-Hats at the palace. Brooke has revealed a new ability of his: The power to pull out his soul at will. Usopp is jealous, and Zoro tells Papagg (the starfish) to bring him his swords. The starfish is freaked out by Brooke's soul as he hunts for the swords.....
It's possible that Brook's new ability ties in with his Devil Fruit.
Old 2011-06-22, 10:44   Link #6
marvelB

Heh, I kinda like how Sanji shrugged off a double assault from Luffy and Jinbei. Guess that really shows how much he grew during those last two years.

Anyway, looks like Jinbei's reasons for stopping Luffy ties in with that conspiracy mindset theory I mentioned in the last thread. He even says that there are still several individuals who are sympathetic towards Arlong, so that makes the situation quite complicated, indeed. BTW, I forgot to mention it before, but I like that we got an explanation for how merman karate works (more proof that Haki isn't always the answer!). So if it attacks opponents internally, then I guess it works more like an Impact Dial than anything (which makes me wonder of Lucci's Roku Ougan technique has its roots in merman karate, as well)......

Heh, Hody's making that same ol' mistake that many villains in just about all forms of media make: Underestimating the protagonists. Leaving no guards in the palace? Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now there's nobody to stop Pappag from freeing the captured Straw-Hats and the king. Oh, and lol at Brooke implying that he uses his new power for peeping.

Finally, as mentioned before, I'm glad that we're starting to see more action from Hody's officers (I can't help but wonder what consequences will arise from Daruma damaging the candy factory like that.....). We should see the princes kicking some ass soon as well, since the townsfolk had even mentioned them this chapter......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
We finally get that ministory. I wonder who will be in the next ministory?

Loguetown man, Loguetown! We most likely won't see Smoker or Dragon there, but at least there's that sword shop owner who sold Zoro the Kitetsu and Yubashiri (and.... I dunno, maybe the girl who spilled ice cream on Smoker's pants? ).
Old 2011-06-22, 11:10   Link #7
yakumo-chan

loved the chapter...

I really like how sanji takes the punch of luffy and jinbei like it was nothing... but he did bleed though
Old 2011-06-22, 11:55   Link #8
Blackbeard D. Kuma

The secret behind Fishman Karate and Brooke's soul extraction are the most interesting things in this chapter for me. Now it makes perfect sense how Jimbei was able to fight the logia Ace for 5 days straight, despite being on land. Manipulation of water is VERY dangerous. Round 2 is next, but so far Land Jimbei looks to be superior to the new and improved Luffy.
Old 2011-06-22, 12:35   Link #9
Homura7

Daruma hates sweets? "Cotton Candy Lover" Chopper isn't pleased.

Oh, wait, we have one match set
Old 2011-06-22, 13:30   Link #10
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
That is total bs. Jimbei aint going to do shit. He's been passive about Hody/Arlong for ages and now HE'S the one who's going to stop Hody? Come on man...

Too bad we didn't get to see anymore of Luffy's new power. Though if Luffy/Jimbei duked it out and the winner was left super exhausted just before Hodi arrives....that would suck.
Old 2011-06-22, 13:39   Link #11
noktown

Despite blocking the attack,Jinbei got knocked back pretty well and also was hurt from the attack.

Frankly It would be more exciting/funny if Zoro got his sword and beat the crap out of everyone.
Old 2011-06-22, 13:56   Link #12
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

LOL Brooke stole the chapter for me, his new ability is awesome in so many ways.

"What do you think I did first?"

I love the perverse humor of OP it's just brilliant!

Robin-chwan hawt as always!

Hope we start to see stuff kick off soon!
Old 2011-06-22, 14:13   Link #13
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Round 2 is next, but so far Land Jimbei looks to be superior to the new and improved Luffy.
I didn't get that at all. If anything, by the end of the chapter they were both equally damaged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
Daruma hates sweets? "Cotton Candy Lover" Chopper isn't pleased.

Oh, wait, we have one match set
That was my first thought as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
LOL Brooke stole the chapter for me, his new ability is awesome in so many ways.

I love how jealous Usopp was concerning Brook's new power. And I loved how a soul's "nose" could bleed . But, the true win for the power, though, was Brook chasing Pappug around asking for help, but Pappug running away scared of ghosts.
Old 2011-06-22, 14:35   Link #14
Prestige

Rather mediciore chapter, not horrible but not that great either.
Old 2011-06-22, 14:39   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I didn't get that at all. If anything, by the end of the chapter they were both equally damaged...
I posted that before reading the actual chapter. That being said, I agree that they appeared to be equal by the end of it. Jimbei has experience, but Luffy has youth, vigor, determination, and the tutelage of the veteran Rayleigh on his side. Should be interesting to see what happens next .
Old 2011-06-22, 15:04   Link #16
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
*nosebleed*
Old 2011-06-22, 15:13   Link #17
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I posted that before reading the actual chapter. That being said, I agree that they appeared to be equal by the end of it. Jimbei has experience, but Luffy has youth, vigor, determination, and the tutelage of the veteran Rayleigh on his side. Should be interesting to see what happens next .
Okay then . Despite the fight being a little pointless, I do want to see more of it...I guess my desire to see the two battle (something I have been speculating on for close to a decade) is simply overpowering my desire to see story progression .
Old 2011-06-22, 15:43   Link #18
marvelB

^I also admit I'm sorta kinda interested in seeing more of the fight. I had figured that Luffy would at least be roughly equal to a land-based Jinbei, and it seems I was right. And if land-based techniques are that effective against post-skip Luffy, then he'd get completely slaughtered by ocean-based ones.....

And about Daruma vs. Chopper: While I can definitely see that happening, I was sorta thinking that another possible opponent for the cookiecutter-man may be Brooke, simply because he said that his favorite food was bones.....
Old 2011-06-22, 15:57   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Sanji is going to rage so hard once he finds out about Brooke's power-up. Speaking of which, it'd be awesome if this new power could allow him to possess other people.

Robin's new power was spoiled by last week's color page, but her entrance was still cool. I hope Oda will make imaginative use of that power, unlike a certain other author.
Old 2011-06-22, 15:58   Link #20
Slayerx

Robin and Brooke's new powers.
Seems we can confirm that Robin that Robin is able to use her powers to create a full duplicate of herself

Quote:
Anyway, looks like Jinbei's reasons for stopping Luffy ties in with that conspiracy mindset theory I mentioned in the last thread. He even says that there are still several individuals who are sympathetic towards Arlong, so that makes the situation quite complicated, indeed.
And i still don't agree with it... Jimbei compares Hody to arlong but comparing the two is like apples and oranges because of the situations as it relates to the fishpeople. Arlong was one of Tigers boys from the old days and was off tormenting humans all the way in east blue; hell most fishpeople probably barely knew anything about exactly what he was doing, just that he was off being a pirate. Hody however is a local threat, and he is in the process of overthrowing a benevolent king, spitting on the memory of a beloved queen, allowing criminals and low lives to mix in to a peace loving civilians, promising to kill thousands of fishpeople and practically pushing the fishpeople into conflict with the humans. I can see why the fishpeople might have sympathy for arlong, but in comparison they would have great fear and hatred for Hodi with the only exception being the lowlife skum that ally with him. Will the fishpeople wonder about the reasons why Luffy beat up Hodi? Ya maybe, but i think they will be WAY too grateful to be rid of such an evil tyrant to think too hard about it; Hell we even need to factor in that Neptune would probably wind up praising the strawhats which would offset a lot of hatred for them... only ones that are certain to hate humanity over hodi's defeat by Luffy is the kind of lowlife skum that already hate humanity and will hate them regardless of who beats up Hodi (in otherwords, no change)... Rally this would be a MUCH more different situation if Hodi wasn't being such a obviously evil tyrant; if he was promising not to harm a single civilian fishperson THEN i could see the fishpeople to have enough sympathy for him to hate seeing him get beaten up by a human