AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-19, 14:15   Link #81
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I don't think it is getting better, because it wasn't bad in the first place. Sure the drawings and graphics are getting better to view but that happens with everything including movies. As for story quality, there are good ones and a ton of bad ones every year
Old 2004-11-19, 14:39   Link #82
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
I don't think it is getting better, because it wasn't bad in the first place. Sure the drawings and graphics are getting better to view but that happens with everything including movies. As for story quality, there are good ones and a ton of bad ones every year
Overall the quality remains the same, a few elite animes, a decent amount of good enjoyable ones coupled with a shipload of bad ones. Animation quality has definitely improved , although there are a few exceptions *cough* To Heart 2 *cough* .

Story quality, well it amazes me that some anime can stay very original and refreshing (maria-sama for example), and even recycled stories can be enjoyable is they are presented well.

Music and voice acting is getting better and better.

Overall I have a pretty positive view on the quality of the anime's. However, kj1980's comments on "the bubble bursting" has me worried a bit.
Old 2004-11-19, 15:29   Link #83
Blaat

You know I'm one of the few who think animation hasn't gotten any better nor any worse, it tends to be less fluent now compared to the past. It is sharper now a more colourfull so I guess that evens it a little.
Old 2004-11-19, 16:16   Link #84
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Overall the quality remains the same, a few elite animes, a decent amount of good enjoyable ones coupled with a shipload of bad ones. Animation quality has definitely improved , although there are a few exceptions *cough* To Heart 2 *cough* .

Story quality, well it amazes me that some anime can stay very original and refreshing (maria-sama for example), and even recycled stories can be enjoyable is they are presented well.

Music and voice acting is getting better and better.

Overall I have a pretty positive view on the quality of the anime's. However, kj1980's comments on "the bubble bursting" has me worried a bit.

Some people predicted the dot com bubble burst, and when it did, it seemed like IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN ALL ALONG... but in reality, not too many people foresaw this happening. It's just that after-the-fact, our hindsight bias (as known in psychology) makes us think "oh we knew it all along"..

Another example is the predictions about the internet collapsing because of a surge in users; there were real predictions by experts that the internet would overload and its whole infrastructure would just collapse under its own weight. They predicted this happening (if I recall correctly) in 1999. You know how the rest of the story goes.

My point: things don't always turn out as "predicted".. who knows; the rise of the anime market in North America might eventually bear substantial effects on the Japanese anime industry. I don't know; but then again, who does? (before it happens)
Old 2004-11-19, 17:17   Link #85
Shaoran

Send a message via ICQ to Shaoran Send a message via AIM to Shaoran Send a message via MSN to Shaoran Send a message via Yahoo to Shaoran
I think the overall quality of anime has improved. The character animation that was introduced with Scryed seems to be growing in popularity.
Old 2004-11-19, 19:47   Link #86
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran
I think the overall quality of anime has improved. The character animation that was introduced with Scryed seems to be growing in popularity.
Hirai Hisashi's character designs were fairly popular even before Scryed. Notably from "Juusenshi Gulkeeba" and "Mugen no Ryvius."

Of course, they all look the same.
Old 2004-11-19, 22:31   Link #87
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Honestly, I can't wait for it to happen. The industry's become too bloated.

IMO, the high point of anime was the mid-to-late ninties. But once shows started moving to ridiculously late timeslots, the majority of anime has sacrificed a lot of its quality and broader appeal in favour of becoming purely otaku-centric. If the bubble does burst, the number of animation studios in Japan will decrease significantly. Of course, established companies like Sunrise, Toei, TMS, or BONES aren't going anywhere as long as they keep making shows like Naruto, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist or Gundam SEED.

I don't think shows like those are really in danger. In fact, the significant lack of original shows in Japanese primetime has led to quite a dramatic increase in the quality of those mainstream shows. If the otaku market does collapse in upon itself, maybe we'll finally see an increase in the number of original prime time anime with actual broad appeal that can, *gasp* be taken SERIOUSLY.

OK, maybe I'm dreaming, but it would be nice.
Old 2004-11-20, 07:15   Link #88
shinorei_91
Acolyte - I Heal People

Send a message via ICQ to shinorei_91 Send a message via MSN to shinorei_91
Hey,about the bubble to burst part..well..it could happen as anime is becoming popular and popular..^_^ But the anime quality has definitely become more better and the voice acting plus, some of the girl characters aren't that useless anymore..^_^
Old 2004-11-20, 17:37   Link #89
Kaede Shinmiri

I guess, on a whole, anime has improved from its beginnings a great deal, but this is relative to what you mean by "improved".

For instance, now that anime has a much larger fanbase and a big appeal even for those who aren't into Japanese culture or customs (anime is one of the greatest pieces of evidence that show how much Japan has been influenced by the West ... well, that and baseball), it may become second nature for the anime producers to drop innovation and originality in favour of a tried-and-true approach. As the common approach grows narrower and narrower in scope, the newest animes will all appear to be clones of the high-school-type-comedy/romance, or the mecha/DBZ/Gundam style of show.

Something that people have always condemned as a problem with anime is that the topic or mood of the shows are usually too far-out, complex, or deep for networkers to license for Western viewing. Of course, this changed a little with Evangelion (censorship is another issue), but there is still the belief that the market for heavier anime is just not great enough to warrant a time-slot on a big channel.

However, you could call this a benefit of the closed-market of anime, because it keeps originality in favour. Most anime fans (new or old) can pick out their favourite anime because there are just so many that cover so many topics, and this encourages studios to experiment with new drawing styles, animation techniques, voice-acting etc.
Old 2004-11-20, 21:35   Link #90
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, it seems you take "harem anime" as too broad a term. But then still saying Urusei Yatsura being harem is a bit far-fetched since there are only two girls consistently romantically interested in the male lead. Also if you think harem anime is such a broad term, then maybe EVA, Nadesico and RahXephon are all harem shows?

No, my idea of a 'harem' show is not so broad as you seem to think, though it would appear to be more broad than your own. I do not see the 'harem' genre as simply springing into existance full born, but rather evolving over time just like anything else.
Old 2004-11-20, 23:38   Link #91
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge
Honestly, I can't wait for it to happen. The industry's become too bloated.

IMO, the high point of anime was the mid-to-late ninties. But once shows started moving to ridiculously late timeslots, the majority of anime has sacrificed a lot of its quality and broader appeal in favour of becoming purely otaku-centric. If the bubble does burst, the number of animation studios in Japan will decrease significantly. Of course, established companies like Sunrise, Toei, TMS, or BONES aren't going anywhere as long as they keep making shows like Naruto, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist or Gundam SEED.

I don't think shows like those are really in danger. In fact, the significant lack of original shows in Japanese primetime has led to quite a dramatic increase in the quality of those mainstream shows. If the otaku market does collapse in upon itself, maybe we'll finally see an increase in the number of original prime time anime with actual broad appeal that can, *gasp* be taken SERIOUSLY.

OK, maybe I'm dreaming, but it would be nice.
You, know, I can recall some crappy OVAs made around 1997... like Voogie's Angel, Galaxy Fraulein Yuna. The only good things I recall about 1995-1999 anime are Evangelion and Kenshin. The soundtracks have also improved after 2000...they are using more string instruments and less synthesizers.

Plus, being aired in a late timeslot may be dependent on lack of broad appeal, but doesn't mean it lacks quality or originality. Shows like Count of Monte Cristo and Fantastic Children (though this one's not my thing, I can appreciate its artistic efforts). What constitutes broad appeal? Ninjas, pirates, mechas. Better storytelling that has improved over the years, yes, but not original in themselves.

I just want to reiterate my point that broad appeal should not be taken synonymously with originality and quality. They are independent considerations. Take example of movies, shows like that are called "arthouse" films and despite new perspectives only get a limited distribution.

And to add to that list Bee-Train, Gonzo, Gainax, Production I.G....actually, come to think of it, these are pretty well-established companies, I cannot imagine any one of them collapsing, since they are the same companies that produce animation both for otakus and mainstream (except Gonzo...can't think of anything mainstream they produce, except Final Fantasy Unlimited? nah.)

edit: Oh no...Gainax doesn't do mainstream...nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DaFool; 2004-11-20 at 23:56.
Old 2004-11-23, 09:30   Link #92
LK_LoA

It's always easier to try a 'safe' anime than expand the boundaries. Take Microsoft- nothing truly new and original, just more versions of Office. =P

I still enjoy anime as much but there's just less time to enjoy it. What I like in anime has changed though. I used to be so in mecha...
Old 2004-11-23, 10:43   Link #93
JoeStoppable
I'm Unstoppable

Send a message via AIM to JoeStoppable
In my opinion. It has gotten a lot better. I mean of course with time everything becomes better. Story lines become a lot more deep than some of the older stuff.

Of course there are new animes which just flop compared to the old school stuff.

But to me I would have to say its getting a lot better in the animation department mainly. Of course back than they had limited resources and what not. So its obvious that now a days anime is looking a lot better.

But sometimes this could be a bad thing. Some animes just focus all on graphics and lose their stories in the process.

I think anime will just keep on getting better from here on out.
Old 2004-11-23, 10:43   Link #94
Kaede Shinmiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
edit: Oh no...Gainax doesn't do mainstream...nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
FLCL was kinda close to going mainstream . . . but I think, for the uninitiated, it would deter them from ever seeing anime again because of how non-sensical and LCD-induced it is.
Old 2004-11-23, 12:00   Link #95
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
No, my idea of a 'harem' show is not so broad as you seem to think, though it would appear to be more broad than your own. I do not see the 'harem' genre as simply springing into existance full born, but rather evolving over time just like anything else.
well, what "anything else" you mean here? for example, the "real robot" anime starts with Gundam, and any mecha anime before are considered "super robot" anime. While there are gradual changes and evolutions, there are milestones which mark the birth of a new separate genre. Urusei Yatsura is definitely not a harem show in the modern day "harem anime" sense, while Love Hina is definitely a harem show. For your idea of a harem show, do you think Nadesico and RahXephon are harem shows? Each has five girls going for the male lead after all
Old 2004-11-23, 19:44   Link #96
LK_LoA

My definition of a harem show has to focus on the guy/girl relationships to the point where nothing else matters. In Nadesico, the aliens do take up much of the show. XD
Old 2004-11-26, 14:55   Link #97
2otaku
What is it?

Send a message via AIM to 2otaku
I believe the main problem with anime in the past was indeed, the voice overs and the translation. This problem has been over come with excellent voice actors and script writers. I have and still do watch both subbed and dubbed to get the complete story.
Old 2004-11-26, 20:59   Link #98
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, what "anything else" you mean here? for example, the "real robot" anime starts with Gundam, and any mecha anime before are considered "super robot" anime. While there are gradual changes and evolutions, there are milestones which mark the birth of a new separate genre. Urusei Yatsura is definitely not a harem show in the modern day "harem anime" sense, while Love Hina is definitely a harem show. For your idea of a harem show, do you think Nadesico and RahXephon are harem shows? Each has five girls going for the male lead after all
And the original Gundam, all the way up to the current Gundam Seed still has very strong ties to its "Super Robot" origins, moreso than probably any other franchise under the "real robot" banner.

Also, you twist my words. "Harem" anime as I understand it features multiple female leads all romanticly chasing a single male lead. As I stated, the concept began with shows like Ursei Yatsura and has evolved over time, the most noticible change in recent years being that many of these shows are adepted from or influenced by Japanese dating sims. To deny the links to shows like Tenchi, wich was known for this kind of arrangement ages ago would be like denying the links between Gundam and FMP.
Old 2004-11-26, 22:59   Link #99
krispydigital

Send a message via AIM to krispydigital Send a message via MSN to krispydigital
mmm... i agree with the original post. i find anime now much better than that of the past. sure there were great hits like evangelion, but still, speaking generally, i think that its getting better. yakitate japan, beck, genshiken... these anime and others got me hooked more than any other time.
Old 2004-11-27, 04:05   Link #100
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
And the original Gundam, all the way up to the current Gundam Seed still has very strong ties to its "Super Robot" origins, moreso than probably any other franchise under the "real robot" banner.

Also, you twist my words. "Harem" anime as I understand it features multiple female leads all romanticly chasing a single male lead. As I stated, the concept began with shows like Ursei Yatsura and has evolved over time, the most noticible change in recent years being that many of these shows are adepted from or influenced by Japanese dating sims. To deny the links to shows like Tenchi, wich was known for this kind of arrangement ages ago would be like denying the links between Gundam and FMP.
well, both Nadesico and RahXephon has multiple females chasing a single male lead, where do I twist your words? I think you are the one who is twisting my words. I never denied the link between modern day harem animes with Tenchi, I call Tenchi "an anime with harem elements", same goes to Nadesico and RahXephon, they are animes with harem elements. But to make the harem elements the focus of the show and let the main plot revolve around them is what makes modern day harem animes. For Urusei Yatsura, I won't call that a harem show, I won't call that a show with harem elements. However it's you who have basically stated that Urusei Yatsura is a harem show. Let me quote our posts :

me: which anime you have in mind that you'd label as harem show back then in the 80's? Don't tell me Urusei Yatsura.
you: Why not Urusei Yatsura , probably yhe grandmother of the genre? Tenchi is most definitely another early "harem" show.

I think from those posts you mean that "Urusei Yatsura and Tenchi are harem shows". Which is what I definitely disagree with. what I'm trying to say :

Urusei Yatsura = not a harem show, nor a show with harem elements
Kimagure Orange Road = not a harem show, nor a show with harem elements
Tenchi = a show with harem elements
Nadesico = a show with harem elements
RahXephon = a show with slight harem elements
Maburaho = harem show

So if you disagree with me, then please state clearly your stance on the above shows. You are still being very vague and evading the issue all this time.

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-11-27 at 04:19.
Closed Thread