AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-12-25, 09:55   Link #1
kryptolus

Question Sabbu (timing program)

I released a new verison (0.1.5) of sabbu, a timing program, today.

http://www.sabbu.com

Summary of changes:

* New Decent-looking splash screen
* Operations on multiple rows (Grab Times, Delete, Copy, Cut, Paste, Change Type, Change Style, Change Layer)
* Autosaves are placed under a special directory to prevent clutter
* Join & Split Lines
* Split on Cursor (line is split at the point you place the cursor
* Better file type detection when opening scripts
* Improved Text Import (imports character names and removes extra whitespace)
* Shift Times
* Format Conversion (SSA <-> ASS)
* Improved Font Selection dialog (proper font names & style preview)
* Crash Handler
* Customizable Colors
* New Quick Shortcuts (Q - Stop Playing, W - Play From Start Marker, E - Advance 2 seconds)
* Various UI elements have been altered
* Many bug fixes

You can view the complete ChangeLog on the website.
kryptolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 18:52   Link #2
Cyberdramon

Hey! That's awesome news. I'm quite fascinated with your project. While I didn't have any luck with the previous release working on my computer (I really don't know why XD) I hope my computer treats this release better. I'm very grateful that you're continuing the project! Keep up the good work!
Cyberdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 21:30   Link #3
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
sabbu is the best program for episode timing right now, IMO. If you're a timer, you need to check this out. The Mark Keyframes feature makes scene timing much easier, faster to do, and the process is much more efficient. There's also many other nice little features that you'll learn to love.
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 04:56   Link #4
LytHka
Banned

Too bad the new sabbu is crashing for me everytime I want to save.

That inspired me to format my harddrives, to see what caused this problem from a clean system's perspective.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 05:53   Link #5
Ijuki
aka Raw Provider

What about to make sabbu langauge independent, for some reason, it crashes for me as well, when i want to save it. That might be the problem and i think some other s thinks the same about that...
Ijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 19:14   Link #6
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Does it handle unicode text?
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 00:00   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh
Does it handle unicode text?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbu.com
BETA15
- Don't choke on files if they start with a UTF8 BOM.
I guess it at least handles UTF8. I haven't taken a look at the source that closely and haven't had a chance to test it out, but since he wrote it using gtk, there should be Unicode support.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 06:49   Link #8
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Too bad the new sabbu is crashing for me everytime I want to save.

That inspired me to format my harddrives, to see what caused this problem from a clean system's perspective.
I am sorry to hear about these problems... I had several people help me test this release and none of them experienced this kind of problem. I have received some crash information from a person and I will look into this once I setup my development environment. (I formatted my hard-drive).

As for Unicode, I wouldn't recomend using it with non-ASCII scripts. I have done no testing with non-ASCII scripts whatsoever. However, full Unicode support is on my todo list for the next version.
Old 2004-12-27, 13:57   Link #9
kryptolus

BTW, I will be leaving Okayama tomorrow and I won't be back for maybe a week so don't expect any bug fixes until then...
Old 2004-12-27, 16:19   Link #10
LytHka
Banned

I have formatted my system and finally experienced Sabbu and all its might. It was probably some weird compatibility issue. BTW, I was the one who submitted those errors. ^^; The language locale probably isn't the problem though I'm being careful this time and made a coupld of backups. ^^
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 10:39   Link #11
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
I have formatted my system and finally experienced Sabbu and all its might. It was probably some weird compatibility issue. BTW, I was the one who submitted those errors. ^^; The language locale probably isn't the problem though I'm being careful this time and made a coupld of backups. ^^
Writing from Saitama ^^. It shouldn't happen in any case. I think there is a real reason behind the crash you were getting. I will check it when I get back home.
Old 2005-12-19, 13:43   Link #12
kryptolus

Well most of this thread was lost...

Sabbu 0.3.0 is available at http://www.sabbu.com

Important: There is a bad bug related to the keyframes code. Displaying keyframes on the waveform will cause a crash in a short amount of time. If you need to use this feature, download the latest beta.

Stop by #sabbu on Rizon for information.

PS. Can a moderator rename this thread to what it was before? "Sabbu updates" (not sure if that was the actual title)
Old 2005-12-21, 21:21   Link #13
kryptolus

Sorry to bring in a war here but this is something I have to mention.
Today, timecop (of DB infamy) came in to my channel, proclaimed "lunix + gtk + idiot programmers = LOL" and left.
I still don't understand what "lunix" has to do with anything. Windows has always been the primary development platform for sabbu.
This is one of the most childish things I have ever encountered. Where do people get off insulting a program that they get for free? I never had a problem with criticism but this crosses every line there is.
He's welcome to contribute a new UI for sabbu. Let's see if he can put the money where his mouth is.
Old 2005-12-21, 22:43   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptolus
Sorry to bring in a war here but this is something I have to mention.
Today, timecop (of DB infamy) came in to my channel, proclaimed "lunix + gtk + idiot programmers = LOL" and left.
I still don't understand what "lunix" has to do with anything. Windows has always been the primary development platform for sabbu.
This is one of the most childish things I have ever encountered. Where do people get off insulting a program that they get for free? I never had a problem with criticism but this crosses every line there is.
He's welcome to contribute a new UI for sabbu. Let's see if he can put the money where his mouth is.
Well, I'll certainly join in your incredulousness, for what it's worth. Of course it goes without saying, but anyone who's worth their salt won't have an attitude like that, even if (and especially if) they think they could do better. The more time you spend doing this type of work, whether for fun or for profit, the more you come to appreciate and understand other peoples' work and the amount of time invested into it. And certainly, for volunteer/free stuff, anyone who's not willing to roll up their sleeves and help with the work has no "right" to criticise or complain - their only recourse is "don't use it". Don't see how this could start a war, because these principles should be fairly irrefutable, at least in my opinion. (That doesn't mean that you won't run into people who practice otherwise, of course, but they can safely be ignored -- and, in this case, banned. Constructive criticism is one thing, but this is nothing of the sort.)

Anyway, keep up the good work; sabbu is a good and useful tool.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:48   Link #15
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Ignore timecop, he's a professional troll. He's probably the reason DB releases YHBT Naruto and Bleach eps. Don't expect too much from a person who runs gnaa.us...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 23:44   Link #16
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Don't forget that little note in Bleach 61 about his death, at the end of the OP...
________
Toyota peugeot citro?n automobile czech specifications

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:42.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 22:22   Link #17
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Hello Kryptolus. I use Sabbu and I think it's great! However, I'm having a problem. When I load my wav file, a window says: Supported file format but file is malformed. Is there any way I can load the file? Thanks!
sixtydeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 22:24   Link #18
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtydeuce
Hello Kryptolus. I use Sabbu and I think it's great! However, I'm having a problem. When I load my wav file, a window says: Supported file format but file is malformed. Is there any way I can load the file? Thanks!
It loads fine in other programs? Maybe you can try re-saving it in an audio editor.
Old 2006-01-16, 22:45   Link #19
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Hey that worked!! Thanks for the quick reply!!
sixtydeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 08:34   Link #20
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

Sorry to wake up a 6-month old topic...
kryptolus posted the following news entry on sabbu.com a month ago:

July 09, 2006
The end

I no longer have time to maintain sabbu. Anybody is welcome to take over the project if interested.
The latest source code is available in the CVS repository.
You can contact me if you're interested in taking over and need any kind of help getting started.
As stated, he is looking for a C++/GTK+ developer to take over the project. If you are interested, please contact the author.

Last version is 0.3.0.

An alternative tool, subtitleeditor, also using GTK+, claims to support a handful of sub formats. It does not seem to have a Win32 build, however.
Rasqual Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote