wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
Anyone know if Sayako is also
Spoiler:
in the manga? I still say the bio concerto saved her hehehe j/k
USE SPOILER TAGS IDIOT!!

The manga is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different rom the anime so it's no point checking.
Old 2004-12-26, 21:35   Link #642
Takemi_Ikazuchi

This series had some of the most interesting concepts and visual metaphors ever, but in the end they fell in love with their own premise.

Too bad. If anything the Gainax tradition lives on.. for the better or worse.
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 00:00   Link #643
redbaron255

Here's my take on the ending and the Sayoko question.

Spoiler:

I finished this series a few days ago and I still can't get the ending out of my head or stop trying to puzzle out the meanings. Sign of a good series.
redbaron255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 01:06   Link #644
babbito2k
annoying white bat

It's easy to turn the "GAINAX tradition" around and indict the viewers who avidly consume a series which shows some ambition and then retch and mewl if said series doesn't present a tidy ending. After all, that's why plenty of shows out there make almost no demands and no impression on the viewer.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 01:39   Link #645
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
It's easy to turn the "GAINAX tradition" around and indict the viewers who avidly consume a series which shows some ambition and then retch and mewl if said series doesn't present a tidy ending. After all, that's why plenty of shows out there make almost no demands and no impression on the viewer.
You might want to rephrase that.

Frankly, the ending was relatively solid enough given the premise. That's the least of my complaints. I was mostly referring to space arc episodes. They present a classic example of an artist falling in love with their own work.
Old 2004-12-27, 01:46   Link #646
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
You might want to rephrase that.
In order to fit the explanations you now give for your previous cryptic comments? It really doesn't matter. GAINAX has had its share of viewers turning on them over the way they ended some very good series. And you still don't explain what exactly you object to about the space arc, so I can't follow you there.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 02:30   Link #647
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Ahh.. you should have mentioned that. Very well then..

Sometimes strange things unfold in MoO, but when they do they usually contain a certain artistic value in them. I felt that Gainax abandoned that principle in the last arc. The style simply felt plain to me. Let's start with a few complains:

The cow girls. MoO always had it's share sexual metaphores, but they always managed to keep it subtle and dare I say.. classy? I can't find any value in with the cowgirl scene.

The sudden appearance of the last renegade Aiba machine and the lack of explanation regarding his motives. I'm sorry, but the "he's a disgruntled child with a dangerous toy" premise is a thinly veiled plot device to me.

Dragon Child accidentally stumbling across the sound module. This event is the king of all things coincidental in MoO

The off screen penultimate battle. I've watched enough Gainax shows to know that this is in fact a disguised time and budget saving technique.

All in all, the space arc felt like a half hearted attempt to tie up all the unecessary plot lines to me, but Gainax definitely loved it with all their soul.
Old 2004-12-27, 03:07   Link #648
Mashimaro
q8D

Hmm I lost track..Solo was suppose to be the "sacrificed" child for the monster at the maze part?
And uh.. what happened to the red head female monster?
Mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 08:25   Link #649
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
The off screen penultimate battle. I've watched enough Gainax shows to know that this is in fact a disguised time and budget saving technique.

All in all, the space arc felt like a half hearted attempt to tie up all the unecessary plot lines to me, but Gainax definitely loved it with all their soul.
To me the las tarc says:
"out of budget, out of inspirations, must finish series"

I think without a single creative voice overseeing an entire series this kind of self-destruct can happen. It reeks of plot-by-commitee.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 08:50   Link #650
wao
OK.

But it's not that common to have one person doing the script for the whole series is it?
Old 2004-12-27, 09:27   Link #651
Lost Souls

My take on the ending

Solo isnt dead, iif you watch it closely you clearly see it hits him in the shoulder. So im guessing he's still alive and kicking somewhere.

Sayako, i had to rewatch this a few times, but i dont think she's dead. As was said earlier she doesnt have the errie glow that the MoO has, and like what she had when he was imagining her next to him when he was fighting in space.

Everyone else isnt dead, they're on that spaceship thats out of phase with time, so while they're still alive they're stuck there. hmmmm interesting parties going to be going on there me thinks :P

This is definatly the weirdest anime ive seen this year. Maybe we'll get a season 2
Lost Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 09:51   Link #652
dumbo63

Where were they fighting? On Earth in the future or past? Or curren time? And what happened to the bad guys with that fat chick that always said viva? I didn't really understand it since i skipped a few eps.
dumbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 12:43   Link #653
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Souls
My take on the ending

Solo isnt dead, iif you watch it closely you clearly see it hits him in the shoulder. So im guessing he's still alive and kicking somewhere.

Sayako, i had to rewatch this a few times, but i dont think she's dead. As was said earlier she doesnt have the errie glow that the MoO has, and like what she had when he was imagining her next to him when he was fighting in space.

Everyone else isnt dead, they're on that spaceship thats out of phase with time, so while they're still alive they're stuck there. hmmmm interesting parties going to be going on there me thinks :P

This is definatly the weirdest anime ive seen this year. Maybe we'll get a season 2
Ummm Lost Souls

Spoiler:
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 14:33   Link #654
Netr0

Loved the seris except it kinda crapped out at ep 21-24. Also to me I believe that Solo is dead, not just because he got shot but his "perfect one" was killed before his eyes.
Netr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 14:34   Link #655
Netr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo63
Where were they fighting? On Earth in the future or past? Or curren time? And what happened to the bad guys with that fat chick that always said viva? I didn't really understand it since i skipped a few eps.
They all said viva every single one except for the true Monster King, also when you skip episodes you tend to lose track of the plot - if there was a plot on the Space Arc...
Netr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 18:08   Link #656
xentron
Typesetter

Solo is dead?
xentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 19:19   Link #657
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentron
Solo is dead?
depending on your interpretation... personally I say no arrow on the shoulder can kill a person
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 23:02   Link #658
DaFool
Resident devil

I loved the series, and though the ending arc was like a different style and pacing and (yes, less budget) then the rest, I loved it nevertheless.

And no, I was sober while watching.

I like how they revealed the premise for the Melody of Oblivion. I want to have my own MoO someday, but I know it's going to be painful for the girl to lead a sad immortal lonely existence. But if she glows like MoO #1, she'll look so cool!!!
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 04:02   Link #659
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Utterly blood brilliant.

I just watched the final 4 episodes of MoO and they were wonderful!

My simple and unspoiled summary of the ending is that this was not a rushed project with an unclear ending as some of you are insisting. The ending is as deep and thoughtful and difficult to understand as the rest of the show was. It is also just as complicated and many-layered. If you don't agree, read this installment of "NoSanninWa explains it all."
Spoiler for the wonderful conclusion:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 04:03   Link #660
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
depending on your interpretation... personally I say no arrow on the shoulder can kill a person
But the fall afterwards might. But then again, he is the Monster King Solo-mon the Third. (Represses the upcoming dirty joke.)

Just watched the last episode. Finally my birth sign (dog) makes an apperance for the first time in the entire series, yes! But the creepy lady is a Monster and not an agent, the dog is more likely Kerberos (or maybe Alucard's brother); and the dog melts into a hole into Hades, so I guess it makes sense. Following the Greek Myth tradition, anybody thinks the cow girls might be living in Elysium?

So the Aiba machines are all horses after all...although I really have to say, Bocca's pegasus is butt-ugly... Everything to keep him on the narrow straight path I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I just watched the final 4 episodes of MoO and they were wonderful!
The last episode is good, but the two before it are kind of blah IMO. (Thanks for some very illuminating insights, however. )

Regarding the complexity of the last story arc, I agree that there are a lot of ideas thrown out here and there.

I'm especially intrigued by the "rogue unicorn" and why Coco is so adamant about scrapping it. But all the tiny bits of wisdom just don't seem to work together in terms of the flow of the story. I think it would be better if they inserted that rogue unicorn somewhere in the middle of the series where all the fillers are.

The reality confusion bit (e.g. the Senshi all of a sudden turned up in a Karaoke, etc.) should've been done a lot smarter too. Right now the "fourth wall" bit and the reality confusion appear a little too random and pointless to me.

Overall, the ending doesn't seem to pull the entire series together the way an ending should, IMO. It's a serviceable one, to be sure. I think the confrontation with the Monster King is great (it was really funny when you find out the secret of the parrot) and Bokka's ending is predictable and logical. It's just the minor, slightly random stuff littered, or rather, filled the two episodes before the final episode that got me.

Last edited by The Yellow Dwarf; 2004-12-28 at 13:08.
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote