Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-05, 21:08   Link #361
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well not to bad of a start but Hikari seems like a jerk
Old 2013-10-05, 23:30   Link #362
Theo

And so the powderkeg between ocean and surface dwellers was lit once more when the historic meeting between the two peoples broke down due to the use of racial slurs by the ambassadors, sparking open hostilities: "fish" for oceaners, and "swine" for surfacers.

Once more, nuclear hellfire bathed the Earth in a warm glow.

Because war...war never changes.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 00:56   Link #363
Theo

Damn Hii, you crazy fishman. Tsumugu doesn't even have to lift a finger, has the personality of a nailboard, and Manny's already throwing herself at him. You've got your work cut out for you.

I can take the subtle racism a little seriously, however they look almost completely human despite some oddities with skin flaking and fishknee. I guess human behavior makes this click, as our species has hated each other for less.

When I think of fishpeople, I think of this:

Spoiler for image:

Someday.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 04:39   Link #364
relentlessflame

*Administrator

A few moderation comments regarding this thread:

1. Shipping posts are, as always, firmly forbidden on this site. Do not start, and do not respond if someone else starts. Report it and end the chain immediately. Do not link to shipping wars going on elsewhere on the Internet either, and so bring that poison over here by proxy.

2. "NTR" discussion is completely forbidden because it is irrelevant to anything shown in this anime thus far (and, as many have explained, reflects a complete misunderstanding of what the term really means). It only brings the thread off-topic. Inappropriate mentions of the term, particularly those that lead the thread off-topic, may result in deleted posts and bans.

3. Keep the discussion on-topic. This means avoid pointless meta discussions and irrelevant untagged references to other shows (whether they're by the same writer or studio). If you want to make a relevant, on-topic comparison between something shown in the anime and something in another show, you must use a properly-labelled spoiler tag that identifies the show you're comparing to. Inappropriate/irrelevant comparisons or references, or spoiler tags that are blank or otherwise not properly labelled, are grounds for a ban.

4. This thread is not a P.A. Works, or Mari Okada fan/hater social club. If you want to create such a club, go ahead (we already have discussion threads for both in the General Anime section). But not in this thread. This thread may only be used to discuss things shown in this anime, and relevant on-topic comparisons tagged as discussed above.

I should also mention that a number of posts that deviated from the above points are currently hidden and will be removed. (Because these posts have been hidden, people coming in late may read this and think that I'm referring to posts above when I say this... but that probably isn't the case. Many posts were already extracted.) In addition, please do not expect further warnings to be posted in this thread about this going forward.

If you have concerns about any of these points, please approach me or one of the other mods/admins personally, and do not post them in this thread (and so drive the thread off-topic again). My goal is that everyone can have a vibrant, interesting, on-topic discussion about the show that avoids pitfalls that will drive the conversation down a bad road. Please try to keep things focused.
Old 2013-10-06, 06:43   Link #365
scr
my sides are in orbit

Watching this anime, I can't help but seeing Spongebob Squarepants. I mean, they are underwater but their city is indistinguishable from surface cities. They even cook with fire!

The other thing I'm seeing is Deep Ones. It's all there: human sacrifice (no longer carried today), miscegenation, body horror (fish head doesn't belong there!), and incomprehensible (read: quite Zen) fish-god who is a mere fragment of a colossal god.

Also, for all the noise about NTR, I don't see one happening. There's a difference between having a feel and actually being in a relationship. NTR, by definition, can only happen when there is a relationship.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 06:50   Link #366
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Watching this anime, I can't help but seeing Spongebob Squarepants. I mean, they are underwater but their city is indistinguishable from surface cities. They even cook with fire!
I'm okay with the fire, since apparently it's magic so we shouldn't think too deeply about it. But what about the rest? Things don't float unless it's convenient, they cook with water which boils but apparently doesn't affect the rest of the water, people walk around normally in one moment and jump three meters high and stuff in the other (meanwhile fish swim around as if there's nothing unusual) also why is everyone wearing shoes and normal clothes underwater? isn't that incredibly inconvenient?

It could be some kind of magic (actually if I was the writer I'd make it all magic for plot purposes), but so far it's just weird.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 07:02   Link #367
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
It could be some kind of magic (actually if I was the writer I'd make it all magic for plot purposes), but so far it's just weird.
Yes it's magic. Also the main character is a Deep One priest (in training), he's protecting one of his kin (a female) from a clueless surface dweller. Oh, and the surface dwellers have been fishing beyond their boundary, time for the priest-in-training to arrange a punitive action with his god.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 07:03   Link #368
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
... There's a difference between having a feel and actually being in a relationship. NTR, by definition, can only happen when there is a relationship.
A male and female 13 yo holding hands is pretty much indicating a relationship exists. It's the nature of the relationship that's at issue. One character observed that it's "father-daughter".

It's like what was passed around the forum years ago for the other viewpoint since he's a childhood friend. "If you're a childhood friend past grade school, then it's assumed that you're dating."
Old 2013-10-06, 07:13   Link #369
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
A male and female 13 yo holding hands is pretty much indicating a relationship exists. It's the nature of the relationship that's at issue. One character observed that it's "father-daughter".

It's like what was passed around the forum years ago for the other viewpoint since he's a childhood friend. "If you're a childhood friend past grade school, then it's assumed that you're dating."
I certainly don't assume they are dating from what we got. In my opinion those rules are pretty silly. Children hold hands that does not mean they are dating.
Old 2013-10-06, 08:26   Link #370
NutShell

watching ep 1
lol, that cursed, worst cursed ever see in anime
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 09:44   Link #371
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I certainly don't assume they are dating from what we got. In my opinion those rules are pretty silly. Children hold hands that does not mean they are dating.
It's today's standards. My 11 yo female relative is being pressured to get a boyfriend. Imagine what people would be saying if they saw her holding hands with a boy, not her relative.
Old 2013-10-06, 10:17   Link #372
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutShell View Post
watching ep 1
lol, that cursed, worst cursed ever see in anime
I get jitters just by thinking of that belching fish on her knee. That pervy priest or shaman or what. . .
Old 2013-10-06, 10:24   Link #373
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There must be a balm for that.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 19:44   Link #374
Tenzen12

I think many of you are quite unfair to Hikari. Yeah he act a bit immature, but you forgeting other side of coin: Manaka.

She is naive, passive, airhead, crybaby and mostly unable do anything on her own. As Chisaki noted he act pretty much as her father: both protecting her and trying make her be more proactive, which might looks a bit forcefull time to time, but considering he is doing it for years already this kind of relationship is something that naturaly established itself gradualy.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 20:05   Link #375
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I think many of you are quite unfair to Hikari. Yeah he act a bit immature, but you forgeting other side of coin: Manaka.

She is naive, passive, airhead, crybaby and mostly unable do anything on her own. As Chisaki noted he act pretty much as her father: both protecting her and trying make her be more proactive, which might looks a bit forcefull time to time, but considering he is doing it for years already this kind of relationship is something that naturaly established itself gradualy.
More like exerted his opinion as the rules. She could have worn the land uniform. Wearing the sea uniform made her stick out more and caused more problems imo especially since she's cute. If he left her alone, she would be more independent.
Old 2013-10-06, 20:12   Link #376
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:

I wonder how much of her passiveness doesn't come from Hikari yelling at her whenever she does something that he doesn't approve of. such as wearing the land school uniform. She tried to do something and he shut her down immediately.
He seems extremely forceful when it comes to Manaka. I'm not saying he doesn't care, because he obviously does, but his mentality of "All she needs to do is follow me" is childish (well duh) and unhealthy for the two of them.

I'm hoping that her friendship with Tsugumi will help her be more independent, assuming that the guy actually starts doing more than just being silent.
One thing's for certain though, Hikari's going to yell about it. A lot.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 20:19   Link #377
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
More like exerted his opinion as the rules. She could have worn the land uniform. Wearing the sea uniform made her stick out more and caused more problems imo especially since she's cute. If he left her alone, she would be more independent.
If she didn't get fished by some pedophile in moment he leave her out of his sight ...

And that uniform is exactly what I was talking about, he want her go against flow (he doesn't do it well, but I am talking about execution here). And when their classmate ganged up on her and she was about cry she didn't look more independent to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
I wonder how much of her passiveness doesn't come from Hikari yelling at her whenever she does something that he doesn't approve of. such as wearing the land school uniform. She tried to do something and he shut her down immediately.
He seems extremely forceful when it comes to Manaka. I'm not saying he doesn't care, because he obviously does, but his mentality of "All she needs to do is follow me" is childish (well duh) and unhealthy for the two of them.

I'm hoping that her friendship with Tsugumi will help her be more independent, assuming that the guy actually starts doing more than just being silent.
One thing's for certain though, Hikari's going to yell about it. A lot.
You know what I can actualy agree with that. His approach doesn't help much (and probably makes thing even worse), but her passivness was most likely initial impulse and Hikari just helping wrongly to person who need help.

EDIT n.2: Actualy it's not exactly correct either, but close enough and I will adress rest depending on need.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-10-06 at 20:41.
Old 2013-10-06, 20:23   Link #378
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
And when their classmate ganged up on her and she was about cry she didn't look more independent to me.
That kind of character development doesn't (shouldn't?) take place within the span of an episode
What we're saying is that she'll probably grow to be more independent if she's not on Hikari's leash all the time.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 20:30   Link #379
Tenzen12

I was in mids of editing, when you answered. If you read what I wrote now, you might find I don't have THAT different outlook

Anyway if she would grow more independent it would by hard way, after being used and abused (if she were able even realise such thing happening), or in better case picked by some other good soul if possible more mature this time.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-10-06 at 20:48.
Old 2013-10-06, 22:45   Link #380
HandofFate

Interesting setting.
Hikari's childishness is going to be annoying me a lot, I can tell.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen