AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-11-28, 11:41   Link #41
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Second most disappointing would be Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. I thought this would be Spice and Wolf's successor but it had none of its charm. The execution was completely dull. It's one of the most boring series I've watched all year, so much that I had actually forgotten all about it until I saw Casey's post.
Given that I had also forgotten that Maouyuu aired this year, I think you're onto something. I had also heard rumors of the spiritual successor to Spice and Wolf, and with the similar themes and the same wonderful pair of seiyuu in the lead, my expectations were pretty high.

I actually thought the show was alright. I was entertained, and the visual style was pleasant and somewhat unique, but the show fell completely flat when it tried to evoke emotion in me. It was entertaining on a surface level, but lacked the charm and depth to have any staying power. So while I have a more favorable opinion of the show than you, I will definitely agree that it would qualify as one of the most disappointing shows of the year, largely because it showed so much promise and had such a legacy to live up to.
Old 2013-11-28, 13:11   Link #42
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
Maybe are the following series I stated, cannot really remember about 2013 Anime I had watched (Complete one):

RDG: Red Data Girl - Feels like it left many things unexplained, perhaps is the worst PA Works series I've seen so far.
I forgot about that one. Dropped it halfway, because it made me sleepy every damn time. Story went nowhere, characters weren't interesting and from what I read here, it doesn't improve anywhere, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
C_O_P_P_E_L_I_O_N

It's not a sci-fi anime in the First PLACE.
You seem to have a different understanding of the genre than I do. Care to elaborate on that?
Old 2013-11-28, 15:50   Link #43
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I will add in my 2 cents here as well:

4. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

3. Coppelion

2. Kyoukai no Kanata

1. Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku

And for a runner up I would add Hyperdimension Neptunia. -_-
Old 2013-11-28, 18:06   Link #44
Fuyuno
Banned

Thumbs down

Well, this is the last one. I always following this 'trend' since 2011 and it is sad to see it's over in this year. Now I give everything I saved for this year just fort his thread alone...

1. Free!
No further rants needed as it is against the thread anyway and it was the company/studio which disappoint me than the show itself. My criticism and sarcasm are aimed towards KyoAni itself and don't worry, I'll try not to offend other people here. What's next after Free!, what about a male ballerina show or male idol show? Sounds stupid right and that's what happened to Free!. I'm don't like most of your crappy moe-blob shows either but you did better job with them.

2. Valvrave the Liberator
Not bad and in fact I quite liked it but the formula they used since Code Geass is already too moldy to begin with.

3. Attack on Titans
The show itself is average at best but it was the hype that killed it for me. Yes it's a good alternative to most other shounen shows like One Piece and Naruto but it's not as good as most people say it is.

4. Any crappy reverse harem shows like Diabolik Lovers, Utau no Prince-sama and Brothers Conflict should be mentioned in this thread as well. You can blame for hating these shows because I'm a man, which is obviously not the target audience to begin with but my wife, who is a big fan of shoujo shows find them shitty as well. I don't want to mention them in this thread but for my wife's sake, I had to.

5. Kimi no Iru Machi
I guess almost nobody mentioning this just because most people already expect it to be disappointing at best and only surprised when it didn't. So far nobody seems to be surprised to it and I guess they got it right. It is a disappointing show indeed. While I too shouldn't vote for it but because there aren't many other users are voting it and I think it worth to be mentioned here.

6. Kyoukai no Kanata
While still currently showing as I typing this but it's pretty obvious this is the most disappointing KyoAni production ever, even worse than Free!. I guess I put too many hope for it after the seemingly embarrassing Free! saga. Since this one still currently shown and I will remove this show from this post if it had good ending.

7. Coppelion
Not just the most disappointing but also one of the flat-out worst. While I don't have high hopes for it since it was made by same studio and people behind K but it trashy to begin with. Bad characters, bad plot, bad script and bad setting and the only thing they got right is good production quality, which is no surprise to anyone who saw K before. Even Animax-Asia, the only non-Japanese TV channel which show it admitted it is a flop. I guess those people are eating their own shoes in disappointment to this show. I hated K and I try to love this show as it is aimed towards completely different audiences than K but what I got is a slap in the face instead. While I know it's not going to "win" this "award" but it's my personal most disappointing anime in 2013.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 19:09   Link #45
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Only two anime I'm disappointed with this year.

Devil Survivor 2
Very disappointed with the result. It had good potential to pretty awesome but the pace was too quick for its own sake with the characters barely developed. Worst of all before introducing them properly, they get killed off very suddenly. It was entertaining in the beginning and very quickly, the quality began dropping consistently.

Coppelion
Read the few chapters in the manga and had a high expectation. The characters were annoying that I dropped it by the second episode. I admit the overall design of the anime was quite fantastic but the execution needed a lot of work.
Old 2013-11-29, 13:35   Link #46
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I was wondering when these kind of threads would start showing up... And I love seeing the results.

My votes might as well be against the norm here, but I'll say it anyway.

First of all, Kyoukai No Kanata because of reasons discussed lengthily above.

My second vote, Yuyushiki. Expected a luycky star clone, got a dumbed down clone of it, not good enough.

Third vote, Attack on Titan, Expected a series which made use of gore to get a point across. It used gore as a damn plotline, and I didn't expect the emphasis on a decaying society being pushed to the damn edge. It shows some pretty nasty social images which honestly makes me wonder for the sanity of the writer.

Last but not least, TWGOK I loved it, but I expected that they'd go on and not axe so many girls ;_;

Cheers

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 17:23   Link #47
Dawnstorm

If DragoonKain hadn't mentioned it, I'd have simply forgotten about the existence of MaoYuu. It was one of the most anticipated shows of the season for me, and then I ended up dropping it. I was just... bored. And not really intrigued, either. It was so forgettable that I actually forgot about it. Definitely the most disappointing anime of the year.

Follow up would be Gin no Saji. I don't like the humour, I don't like the characters, I don't like the shows attitude towards farming. The way it treated eating animals didn't click with me either. It did have some good moments - I finished it, after all. But I won't be watching the second season.

I'm not sure Kyoukai no Kanata should count here: it didn't meet my hopes, but it did meet my expectations. As expected, my hopes for this show came to nothing. Does that count as disappointment? In a way, yes. In a way, no. I'm confused.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 19:31   Link #48
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

December 1st/November 30th update:

Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary: 16 votes

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: 8 votes

Ore no Imouto S2: 7 votes

5 Votes:

Free!
Coppelion
Photo Kanno

4 Votes:

Devil Survivor 2
Attack on Titan
Kimi no Iru Machi

3 Votes:

Hyperdimension Neptunia
Red Data Girl
Yuyushiki
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Brothers Conflict

2 Votes:

DanganRonpa
Gin no Saji
Valvrave the Liberator
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen
Da Capo 3
Diabolik Lovers
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Infinite Stratos 2
Utau no Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000%
High School dxd New
Frezzing Vibration

1 Vote:

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Futari wa Milky Holmes
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Wanna Be The Strongest in the World
Gatchaman Crowds
Golden Time
Amnesia
Yuushibu(very long title and I used the shorter one)
Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties
Rozen Maiden
Majestic Prince
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
Suisei no Gargantia

From what I can learn from the early results Kyoukai no Kanata got 16 votes, half of the runner-up, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha with just 8 votes. Ore no Imouto S2 gets the third place with 7 votes, which surprises me as I actually satisfied with it but with an ending like that, even big fans of of the season cannot accept. I may named Ore no Imouto as "most satisfying anime of 2013" but everyone has their own voices too and I need to respect that.

I also avoid myself from voting Coppelion since I knew how bad K was in last year(2012) and how it managed to get 5 votes in this point really caught me off-guard while I already see few people are voting for it.

Don't worry since there are 30 days left and remember no more votes counted after December 31st 11:59 PM and more importantly I'm using Singapore's time zone.

EDIT: For some reasons I forgot to include Suisei no Gargantia in the list. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by Kameruka; 2013-11-30 at 23:55.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 19:35   Link #49
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

While I don't find such shows to be bad, I was quite dissapointed with some:

Dog & Scissors: It had an interesting premise and portrays a type of humor I admire, what I don't appreciate is the underdevelopped characterization, the laughable production values and the fact that the characters pull things for no reason other than defying the logics of the setting they belong here.

Sunday Without God: The show presents an interesting story and formula, but with its 1-cour format, it doesn't know how to build up its awesome ideas I expected.

Coppelion: Only reason to watch this is because of the same staff as K and I don't enjoy the poor writting and logics applied in the post-apocalyptic setting.

Galilei Donna: I was sad this anime is only getting 11 episodes, there's no time for character development and the extremely slow pacing, combined with rushed storytelling, make the show's technical difficulties so-so at best. Only reason I'm still watching is because of the visuals and impressive animation even if it does have some off-model moments at times.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet: I usually like Gen Urobuchi's works and while it's nice to see the balance of slice of life atmosphere with intriguing politics in a post apocalyptic setting themed around sea survival, I felt the execution was contrived and make those elements not getting along each other. It doesn't help that the last few episodes (bar the ending) ruined it a little.

That's all I can think right now, but I'll probably found a few more.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2013-12-01 at 06:02.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 20:22   Link #50
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Oh, there's an update?

By the way I want to include some shows I missed in my first post in this thread, Coppelion and Ore no Imouto 2.

For Coppelion, I never expect it to be good and this come from someone who never saw K before. I never cared about K since it had too many bishies for my liking(don't ask me why) but for Coppelion, not just it had many times less the sex appeal and it also have some sort of "girl power" vibes into it, which is the only reason for me to check it out. Instead what I got is a mess, at least the best way to describe it. I think it emphasize too much on style and too little on substance. I dropped it after episode 6 and I don't think it can recover from that point. The ending which not shown yet may change my view towards the show itself but it already damaged beyond repair.

As for Ore no Imouto, I liked it even though it loses its magic from the first season. I'm not going to tell what's going on but it was last 2-3 episodes which ruined the entire show, at least for me alone. I knew there will be third season but I think I should stop there unless someone say that hypothetical third season is better than the second.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 20:32   Link #51
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
As for Ore no Imouto, I liked it even though it loses its magic from the first season. I'm not going to tell what's going on but it was last 2-3 episodes which ruined the entire show, at least for me alone. I knew there will be third season but I think I should stop there unless someone say that hypothetical third season is better than the second.
This is a tangent, but just to keep it brief:

Spoiler for Ore no Imouto Season 2:
Old 2013-11-30, 21:01   Link #52
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

There are so many 2013 anime I have yet to see, but I'll get these ones out of the way anyway.

Galilei Donna
This show pretty much abandoned its awesome feel of action and adventure after the first 2 episodes. I was hoping that we were just put in a short transition period and that we'd be back to more fun, but the anime continued its slow pacing (why do I always see this in Noitamina's 11-episode anime?) and dull lack of excitement. I'm ashamed to have ever promoted this anime in my avatar and signature.

Kyoukai no Kanata
Pure chuuni LN trash, made even worse by KyoAni's stupid changes to the story that cause everything to make much less sense. Even the wacky filler episode has an obvious plot hole. Somebody please fire this director immediately. And KyoAni, if you're really going to go independent, go use your crapton of money to hire some writers who can actually write.

Suisei no Gargantia
This was the anime I always looked forward to the most during Spring 2013, even after the ridiculous tweeeest that ruined the balance of the story, simply because I was heavily invested in the setting and universe set up from the beginning. The progression of the last few episodes were a cluster#%$* and a disaster in general. Oh, and the moral message was pushed way too hard near the end. Reminds me of Kawamori at his worst.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 22:21   Link #53
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Amnesia - Cool looking cast of characters at first...then the episode aired. I literally hated every character, the thing was so boring too!

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - I didn't actually understand some of the things that went on in this anime... XD They tease us with a first good episode then everything went downhill from there. Literally no action, just talking talking planning boobage talking boobage talking end.

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou - The description of the anime sounded good, then it was poorly executed.
Old 2013-11-30, 22:59   Link #54
Archaeon

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Kimi no Iru Machi
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 20:42   Link #55
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

1. Kyoukai no Kanata - Already covered by everyone else who posted this.
2. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Dr. Casey addressed everything I was disappointed with from the show in his post. Such a shame it had potential.
3. OreImo S2 - I don't even want to remember.
Old 2013-12-02, 19:58   Link #56
Lyocol
Banned

I'm pretty much surprised that nobody ever mentioned Tamago Market before. I deliberately not to mention it in my first post in hoping someone else besides me do but it looks like I had to mentioned it myself.

While I know nobody ever put high hopes on TM but it also one of the KyoAni's major release in this year alongside Free! and Kyoukai no Kanata. While it may not as disappointing as KnK but TM also need to be mentioned in this thread considered on how high I expecting it before it came out.
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 20:11   Link #57
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol View Post
I'm pretty much surprised that nobody ever mentioned Tamago Market before. I deliberately not to mention it in my first post in hoping someone else besides me do but it looks like I had to mentioned it myself.

While I know nobody ever put high hopes on TM but it also one of the KyoAni's major release in this year alongside Free! and Kyoukai no Kanata. While it may not as disappointing as KnK but TM also need to be mentioned in this thread considered on how high I expecting it before it came out.
Uh I forgot about Tamako Market for this, it was more so a small less down compared Kyoukai no Kanata, though I'd probably rank it as 5th most disappointing.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 21:56   Link #58
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Uh I forgot about Tamako Market for this, it was more so a small less down compared Kyoukai no Kanata, though I'd probably rank it as 5th most disappointing.
Hmm ... to be honest I did not go into Tamako Market expecting much more than a lighthearted series similar to K-On!, which is kinda what it was for me.

Possibly it was so for others as well.

But KnK was a different story - it gave the image of action, suspense, supernatural, dark, etc. ... and those were my expectations going on. Needless to say it did not meet them for me, and it seems many others considering how frequently it has been mentioned in the thread thus far.
Old 2013-12-02, 22:04   Link #59
Kirarakim

Probably my two most disappointing were Psycho Pass & Gargantia neither were bad but after great starts they fell apart for me.

Well Gargantia had an amazing 4 episodes and then just went down hill. It actually had a pretty good ending but it just wasn't enough.

Psycho Pass 1st 1/2 was very strong but around episode 16 it peaked for me and the ending left me feeling really underwhelmed.

Both these shows are getting a sequel and I am not even sure if I will watch either.

Those are just shows I stuck with though I realized I dropped a lot of other shows on people's list.
Old 2013-12-02, 22:54   Link #60
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Kyoukai no Kanata is an obvious pick for me. Wanted Kyoani to do an action show to make use of their visual talents. Apparently I overestimated their abilities. Please never make an action show again. Characters also suck, and story is terribad. In house light novels don't work, but they still make money so what do they care.

I would also say that Kill la Kill is a bit disappointing. I still find it entertaining enough, but with the pedigree of the staff, I was expecting something of TTGL quality... Suffice to say, it's just not on that level.

A third title I found awfully disappointing was Robotic;Notes. I really enjoyed some of the character chemistry, but the ending was a disaster. It became increasingly clear as it went along that it just didn't have an idea of what it wanted to do exactly. Considering my hype after Steins;Gate, the follow up work from the creators here was just not up to par.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote