AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-13, 16:23   Link #721
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
It's Bishamonten or Bishamon. Yeah I know it's mouthful.

I personally go by nick Kazuma gives her in the mange since easier to write.
Bishamon originates from the Buddhist diety, Vaiśravaṇa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vai%C5%9Brava%E1%B9%87a

Of course, Bishamon is the Japanese name, but Vaiśravaṇa is where Kazuma's nickname for Bishamon, "V-na/Viina/Veena" comes from.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 20:55   Link #722
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I would put it more akin the relationship between God and angels ... what was the name and what happened to that angel that dared to disobey his lords orders? <--- yes, I am drawing a direct analogy with Yuki.
Yeah that's probably a better comparison. lol

Yato never banished Yuki either from his side to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Bishamon originates from the Buddhist diety, Vaiśravaṇa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vai%C5%9Brava%E1%B9%87a

Of course, Bishamon is the Japanese name, but Vaiśravaṇa is where Kazuma's nickname for Bishamon, "V-na/Viina/Veena" comes from.
I know that. I read the manga after all.

I only use Bishamon in the anime thread for sake of avoiding confusion, even if the name is addressed to the same person in the end.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 05:38   Link #723
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

"I Have Seen Cities Destroyed In Half An Episode I Have Seen Entire Races Been Wiped Out In 4 Seconds But It Took An Entire freaking 9 Episodes To Straighten Out One Freaking Kid" - Episode 9

It kinda pissed me off. It reminded me so much of the dilemma with Grave of the Fireflies. I feel like ugh so annoyed because why not try to make the best of your situation? Why resort to such tantrum throwing methods? I guess its just me looking down upon my privileged spot though

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 06:04   Link #724
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I hear you, and it would be nice if folks could act like that most of the time. Unfortunately, to quote a great phrase from a memorable anime character from another series, "humans are such sad creatures".

Sometimes even knowing we what should do or ought to do in a situation we still react poorly out of weakness or habit or impulse that holds more "weight" (for whatever reason(s) ) in our behavior, responses, choices, etc.

I think that is one of the reasons certain charas from different series can get under our skin or bother us, in a way. Something about them touches on that aspect of... umm... "the human condition", if you will? Maybe for you Yukine in the eps until 9 does to a degree?
Old 2014-03-15, 07:07   Link #725
Bern-san

Interview with Noragami's director Kotaro Tamura

In the first question he is asked about the anime original elements and he says Noragami is a work he really likes, Bishamon’s arc would need at least 10 episodes and if they skimmed over the details of Yukine’s arc then the following arcs would be hard to understand, so they decided to not do Bishamon arc for now and use the anime original ending, which was improvised by the mangakas as well.

Last edited by Bern-san; 2014-03-15 at 08:33.
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 12:05   Link #726
Shadow5YA

Yeah, the way the manga is structured, there are too many important details in each chapter to go any faster.

For example, you would think they could cut out the part where Hiyori takes Yukine into her house since it's mostly comedy, but Yato also explains why gods and shinki can't stay in a normal house in the same episode.
Old 2014-03-15, 16:56   Link #727
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I think that is one of the reasons certain charas from different series can get under our skin or bother us, in a way. Something about them touches on that aspect of... umm... "the human condition", if you will? Maybe for you Yukine in the eps until 9 does to a degree?

It certainly does. It's probably because studying how humans are supposed to act rationally and try to do what's best for their self interest for 3 years has gotten to me, even though I still do believe that the emotive factor should be taken into account. Such is the effects of the logical line of thought the British-Western thinking that dominates the world I guess.

Anyways, yeah after picking up the manga, I could see that they are doing an anime only ending sadly. But yeah the manga has pretty long chapters worthy of a few more cours. So I guess an anime only ending is appropriate if sales aren't picking up.

Old 2014-03-15, 18:09   Link #728
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Interview with Noragami's director Kotaro Tamura

In the first question he is asked about the anime original elements and he says Noragami is a work he really likes, Bishamon’s arc would need at least 10 episodes and if they skimmed over the details of Yukine’s arc then the following arcs would be hard to understand, so they decided to not do Bishamon arc for now and use the anime original ending, which was improvised by the mangakas as well.
No surprise here, you can probably apply this reasoning in general to most adaptations which go with original endings too. I remember after watching episode 5 thinking that we were going too slow to hit Ch 25 in manga. Then the Rabo reveal came which confirmed my suspicions.

Still, it's nice for Director to speak out about this sort of thing. Unfortunately this just means that once again the "BONES curse" for adaptations continues. I just hope that original content is good.
Old 2014-03-16, 12:46   Link #729
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 12:48   Link #730
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I can't really see this show having a dark ending though......maybe it'll leave things openended for a second season?
Old 2014-03-16, 13:03   Link #731
EroKing

Images
Oh Yato, you so smooth.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-03-16, 13:10   Link #732
Iron Maw
Banned

That's an amazing pickup line.
Old 2014-03-16, 14:16   Link #733
MCAL

You know, if you told me this was filler, I wouldn't have known. It's been pretty good.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 15:08   Link #734
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
You know, if you told me this was filler, I wouldn't have known. It's been pretty good.
Same for me - it seems to flow quite naturally from the previous eps.

Ep 11 was the setting of the stage for the next ep, of course. Kinda feel sorry for Hiyori being stuck in the middle of things like that.

Nora continues to be a bit of an enigma for me. The feeling I get is that she is manipulating Rabo as well (though he could be a willing party in the affair), but it is kinda hard for me to really understand why. Is she being portrayed as an extremely powerful but somehow bored chara who has become warped over the centuries personality wise?

Whatever the case she is a good example of how much power a herald can actually have over a god in the Noragami setting.
Old 2014-03-16, 15:09   Link #735
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Images
Oh Yato, you so smooth.
That line!
Old 2014-03-16, 16:25   Link #736
Shadow5YA

I'm not really sold on Rabo. His character feels shallow, like the only thing to his person is that he wants to fight Yato and kill people.
Old 2014-03-16, 16:28   Link #737
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
I'm not really sold on Rabo. His character feels shallow, like the only thing to his person is that he wants to fight Yato and kill people.
I know what you mean ... but that could in part reflect on his current state of ... umm ... "being" maybe? It could be that he was revived only briefly by Nora somehow for her own purposes, and that there is little "left" of him except that shell of a character (which may make it easier for her to exercise control over him too).

Just a guess though.
Old 2014-03-16, 19:42   Link #738
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I know what you mean ... but that could in part reflect on his current state of ... umm ... "being" maybe? It could be that he was revived only briefly by Nora somehow for her own purposes, and that there is little "left" of him except that shell of a character (which may make it easier for her to exercise control over him too).

Just a guess though.
From Yato's reaction, it doesn't look like Rabo is a shell of his former self.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nora is using Rabo, but it still doesn't make him a complete character.

Nora being able to take Hiyori's memories is also a bit strange, since there is no foundation on how that could possibly work. For example, the show gives a detailed explanation on why a Shinki can use a boundary line, even tying it to their very nature as humans who have to be able to tell right from wrong.
In this memory wiping scenario, it feels like Bones is just relying on the fact that there is nothing to disprove Nora had that ability, given her mysterious nature and ambiguous background.

With Rabo's shallow characterization and Nora's memory wiping power having no explanation, they kind of do stand out from the rest of the show to me.
Old 2014-03-16, 22:27   Link #739
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Images
Oh Yato, you so smooth.
Perfection.

Still this episode has revealed quite a lot of possibilities for Yato and Nora. A lot of manga-verse information gets hinted too a lot earlier. Though I do wish this was incorporated into the overall story structure since it does fit a bit.

Old 2014-03-16, 22:55   Link #740
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
From Yato's reaction, it doesn't look like Rabo is a shell of his former self.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nora is using Rabo, but it still doesn't make him a complete character.

Nora being able to take Hiyori's memories is also a bit strange, since there is no foundation on how that could possibly work. For example, the show gives a detailed explanation on why a Shinki can use a boundary line, even tying it to their very nature as humans who have to be able to tell right from wrong.
In this memory wiping scenario, it feels like Bones is just relying on the fact that there is nothing to disprove Nora had that ability, given her mysterious nature and ambiguous background.

With Rabo's shallow characterization and Nora's memory wiping power having no explanation, they kind of do stand out from the rest of the show to me.
Well, for now we will just have to have differing impressions here.

But then again, perhaps next ep will either give your impressions more of a context and reason for why he comes across to you as he does, or lend more weight to your impression for me. ^^