AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-19, 04:09   Link #3141
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Which would have been fine if it didn't consist of her being in this state for the entirety of the 2nd cour and is still ongoing. And we have 3 episodes left.

By now, I don't give a damn about who likes who whilst being severely disappointed that this ice apocalypse plotpoint has been mostly sidelined.

If I wanted to watch anime focusing on teen romance or melodrama, there's better alternatives, or I might as well search for my Dawson's Creek/OC/One Tree Hill DVDs which I have somewhere lying about in my basement.
I have to agree. And even aside of the ice age non-plot, while the show is ostensibly about "growing up" and "change" and whatnot, this is done almost entirely in terms of romance (with a small sprinkle of friendship/sea fetish here and there, but it always goes back to romance). I mean, yes, romance is important, especially if you're a teenager, but is it seriously the only thing that matters to anyone? In the first half there was at least some attempts at handling issues such as different cultures, xenophobia, etc. But now?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 04:27   Link #3142
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I have to agree. And even aside of the ice age non-plot, while the show is ostensibly about "growing up" and "change" and whatnot, this is done almost entirely in terms of romance (with a small sprinkle of friendship/sea fetish here and there, but it always goes back to romance). I mean, yes, romance is important, especially if you're a teenager, but is it seriously the only thing that matters to anyone? In the first half there was at least some attempts at handling issues such as different cultures, xenophobia, etc. But now?
Hey now, Tsumugu wants to confess and focus on the research as hopeless that is. It matters to him.

Mmm. I agree on the lack of the xenophobia themes, but it's probably because of the sea people who are hibernating except the ones integrated to the land village. What I miss the most is the family themes. Though any scene with Tsumugu's grandfather or Akari with Akira or Hikari telling his sleeping father about his grandson was kind of great.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 04:28   Link #3143
kido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
This is very rough, because I'm sleepy and on my way to bed (and not literal, I dislike to do literal translations). If I committed a mistake, sorry!

Spoiler for but you get the gist:

I think you're being unfair with Chisaki and maybe undermining a little her real struggle. It's not really her feelings for Hikari, but the fact she can't accept her change and become an adult because of the sudden, traumatic and drastic changes shoveled on her one single night when she was 14 years old where she lost absolutely everything. Those 'feelings' are a crutch she's using because she refuses to admit she's no longer the same girl. At least that's what it seems to be. I understand if it gets into someone's nerves, but the inability 'getting over the childhood crush' is just a symptom of her real problem. She has a struggle to cope with her situation, with her place in life, with her emotional trauma. Hikari and whatever he represents (in her eyes- not as character, mind you) seem to stand for childhood escapism and reaffirm her fantasy.

akira the son of akari?
Chisaki escapes from Tsumugu?
kido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 05:09   Link #3144
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido22 View Post
akira the son of akari?
Chisaki escapes from Tsumugu?

The first part is just explaining what happened last episode (recap). The rest is about Akari's son's writing a love 'letter' to Manaka (only a note about his feelings). Summary is short on purpose, because they don't want to give-away anything.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-03-19, 06:55   Link #3145
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Count me in on this. To me personally, the second half has been revolving too much about the romance aspect. Yes, it is kind of tied together with the world's ending through Manaka, but it stands out too much. I was pleasantly surprised by the first half when I finally decided to pick it up and especially loved episode 13. But I've been slowly but surely losing my enthusiasm about Nagi no Asukara in the second half. Right now I'm somewhat disappointed and I don't have much optimism that the last three can remedy that. And this isn't because of the characters. Second half Miuna along with first half Chisaki are my favourite characters in this show.
Old 2014-03-19, 07:24   Link #3146
ices
Working Hard

http://nagiasu.jp/story/index.html#story-24

Screenplay: Mari Okada (Screenplay: ep 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 14, 15, 23, 24)
Storyboard: Masayuki Yoshihara (Storyboard: ep 24)
Director:
- Fumihiko Suganuma (Director: ep 14, 19, 24)
- Tadahito Matsubayashi (Director: ep 9, 16, 24)
Animation Director:
- Kousuke Kawazura (Animation Director: ep 11, 12, 14, 19, 24)
- Chisato Kawaguchi (Animation Director: ep 4, 8, 14, 15, 18, 24)
- Kyoko Kotani (Animation Director: ep 6, 24)
- Yuji Miyashita (Animation Director: ep 15, 24)
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 08:40   Link #3147
kido22

what sense does that Chisaki escapes from Tsumugu then go into the house where he lives Tsumugu?
kido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 08:56   Link #3148
fractal4

This is my speculation on what will happen based on the episodes so far:
Spoiler for speculation and analysis:
fractal4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 09:04   Link #3149
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractal4 View Post
That's a very good theory.

So, in a sense, Tsumugu becomes the new Sea God. And, if this is true, I think that Chisaki (the girl like the sea) becomes the new Sea God's wife. How fitting and poetic that would be!

It would also be an excellent twist - After making it seem like Miuna/Manaka are the key players/sacrifices, it would actually end up being Tsumugu/Chisaki.
Old 2014-03-19, 09:26   Link #3150
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Which would have been fine if it didn't consist of her being in this state for the entirety of the 2nd cour and is still ongoing. And we have 3 episodes left.

By now, I don't give a damn about who likes who whilst being severely disappointed that this ice apocalypse plotpoint has been mostly sidelined.

If I wanted to watch anime focusing on teen romance or melodrama, there's better alternatives, or I might as well search for my Dawson's Creek/OC/One Tree Hill DVDs which I have somewhere lying about in my basement.
Wasn't stated in the first posts of this thread that the love mess would be priority and the "plot" would just a device for the former?
I thought it was damn obvious.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 09:31   Link #3151
Arya

I didn't want to read any theories, but after reading Triple_R first line I gave in to reading fractal4's one. And, yes, that would be really a perfect ending. And it is also quite consistent.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 10:20   Link #3152
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I love how you don't mention Kaname whatsoever.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 10:32   Link #3153
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I really like this theory, but wouldn't that make Miuna a useless character? If the show ends without her doing anything or even being a factor to the whole apocalypse subplot, I'll be forced to agree with the people who criticized her role in the 2nd cour.
Old 2014-03-19, 11:12   Link #3154
Thess

Er, well... Tsumugu's not missing emotions. If that was the case, he wouldn't be able to love or get angry as he does (which are two of the sea god emotions he's missing). There's a difference between having issues with expressing emotions (which is Tsumugu's weak point, the opposite to Hikari who can't control his emotions) and lacking them. I think Tsumugu realizing about the feelings in the water would help to kick the plot into the right direction, like how he was right on target about the method to call Uroko's attention which allowed Hikari and Miuna to find him. He's kind of the brain of the group.

Old 2014-03-19, 11:28   Link #3155
Arya

Uff, why do you have to be always so accurate Thess, I was ready to dismiss all the evident small inconsistencies you and Kanon pointed out to embrace that theory

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 11:39   Link #3156
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
If Tsumugu gained ena out of nowhere, right after Chisaki just happening to overhear him say "I love Chisaki"... Let's face it, that would be way too convenient. It would seem too ass-pully.

Having Miuna gain ena first makes Tsumugu's big scene a little easier to swallow, I think. Because Miuna sort of sets a precedent. Miuna also plays a key role in the overall sequence of events, as we see with the episode where Hikari retrieves Manaka. Without Miuna, this story unfolds much, much differently.

So I'm not too worried about the "What about Miuna?" counterargument to fractal4's theory.

As for the "Tsumugu doesn't need emotions, he already has this" counterargument... Yes, that's true. But you could also view Tsumugu has a person who maintains excellent emotional control, and hence would be the ideal person to absorb and maintain the Sea God's remaining emotions that are just floating around out there in scales. It's not that Tsumugu needs the emotions, it's that he can handle them.
Old 2014-03-19, 11:41   Link #3157
fractal4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Er, well... Tsumugu's not missing emotions. If that was the case, he wouldn't be able to love or get angry as he does (which are two of the sea god emotions he's missing). There's a difference between having issues with expressing emotions (which is Tsumugu's weak point, the opposite to Hikari who can't control his emotions) and lacking them. I think Tsumugu realizing about the feelings in the water would help to kick the plot into the right direction, like how he was right on target about the method to call Uroko's attention which allowed Hikari and Miuna to find him. He's kind of the brain of the group.
That's a good point. I still think Tsumugu has some kind of affinity towards remnants of the sea god, including Uroko.

I think Miuna and Manaka's fates are linked in some way. Perhaps in exchange for having received Manaka's ena she will share some of her ability to love with her. I don't feel Manaka will end up paired with anybody, though.

(Kaname who? )
fractal4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 12:30   Link #3158
Kirarakim

I agree that the 2nd half focuses too much on romance and as I said before I think it focuses too much on the main characters instead of the large community of characters we saw in the 1st half.

However as for the xenophobia themes that was largely covered and resolved in the first half. It would be bad writing in my opinion to retread that when by the end of the series the sea & land people had basically came to understand their differences.

I also do agree with Thess though that the lack of family themes has also hurt the 2nd half.

That's not to say I am not enjoying the show and the focus on romance doesn't bother me per say, I am...I just think the 1st half was definitely the better of the two.
Old 2014-03-19, 13:11   Link #3159
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
As for the "Tsumugu doesn't need emotions, he already has this" counterargument... Yes, that's true. But you could also view Tsumugu has a person who maintains excellent emotional control, and hence would be the ideal person to absorb and maintain the Sea God's remaining emotions that are just floating around out there in scales. It's not that Tsumugu needs the emotions, it's that he can handle them.
Don't get me wrong, it'll be awesome if Hikari/Tsumugu/Miuna/Manaka become a sea deity, but I'm wondering what kind of message is sending right there when there's indeed a body-scale (Uroko) who is the one connected to the sea god in a show where children are learning to deal with heartbreak, it'll be kind of embarrassing gaping and illogical hole the sea god didn't. While I get what you're saying, I'm going to stick with the scales returning to their original state before the heartbreak after he gets told and taught that it's not fine to have just do away with unpleasant feelings as Sayu told off Kaname. This mess was caused because the sea god was unable to deal with changes and unrequited love.

Old 2014-03-19, 13:15   Link #3160
bastek66

Well shit

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen