AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 10 Rating
Perfect 10 44 33.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 44.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 12.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 5.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-05-25, 15:13   Link #4301
Acer
Death to the infidels!

My favorite chapter was Vs 4 devas, there are others that were better written, but the way that Touma used Kanzaki, it definitely was a way Aleister and Laura approve.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 15:32   Link #4302
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TouMAN View Post
3rd!!!! (OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!) NT 3
Finally a kindred soul! I thought I was the only one who genuinely liked NT3.
Quote:
and miraluka what anime is the one of that red/yellow eyed girl!? o.O
Kurumi from Date A Live.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 16:00   Link #4303
Wandering Soul

My favorite chapter was the Slivia fight. It showed what happens when Touma goes up against a saint that is holding nothing back. Seeing Slivia's brutality and how she far she would go to make Othnius suffer was just shocking. The conversation between Othnius and Ollerus afterwards was nice too.
Old 2014-05-25, 16:25   Link #4304
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

I was thinking back a bit and noticed that all touma gets is "human" as a pet name... then I noticed that the other character in this series who is referred to as "human" is Aleister.... coincidence? probably but then again, maybe not.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 18:42   Link #4305
FlyingCow65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
I was thinking back a bit and noticed that all touma gets is "human" as a pet name... then I noticed that the other character in this series who is referred to as "human" is Aleister.... coincidence? probably but then again, maybe not.
Aleister is Touma who traveled to the past and lost IB, giving him the oportunnity to learn magic,his wife(Othinus in the past whom she traveled with him and changed her name) and helped him in his experiments to return home, she was lost giving birth to the Othinus of the normal timeline who went to the beginnig of life and lost her memories, just knowing she was not in her world, Lilith their daugher tried to help and she was lost too, giving the tear to his journal, and his desire to destroy magic and his illusions destroyed. XD JK
FlyingCow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 18:44   Link #4306
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

What did I just read
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 18:44   Link #4307
FlyingCow65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
What did I just read
Crazy theories sorry
FlyingCow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 19:27   Link #4308
dazo
english for dummies 2 ed.

so Aleister is touma but from different timeline... he can be in two places at once ...

....and the "adjustments" , maybe something that negate his magic power to grow

Last edited by dazo; 2014-05-25 at 20:10.
dazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 20:14   Link #4309
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
My favorite chapter was Vs 4 devas, there are others that were better written, but the way that Touma used Kanzaki, it definitely was a way Aleister and Laura approve.
I really liked that as well actually. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post
Finally a kindred soul! I thought I was the only one who genuinely liked NT3.

Kurumi from Date A Live.
Don't worry, I loved NT 3 as well when I read it. I always thought it awesome... And wasn't on the forums when there would have been discussions about why it were bad, so I was never infected with the negativity lol.

Also, about your spoiler reply. The postmodernism tenant Death of the Author is still very controversial even now. I don't think it is fair to force that on everyone, though I completely understand that POV. I will have some evidence at least, for when I explain my point of view on this volume and the arc in general... Hopefully I can make it easier to read than Infinite Jest... so you don't have to flip back and forth all of the time.

Anyway, I'll have my analysis up later... And I wasn't trying to criticize your viewpoint that much, I was just annoyed when you called the ending bullshit. And I understand why you might have had that reaction to it considering what you were expecting.

I just wanted to confirm with others that is part of the large appeal of this series that it is urban fantasy of sorts, so that has lots of mythology it uses as a base that it is fun exploring while seeing how the series twists them for its own benefit? In addition to everything else.

Lastly for now, my favorite chapter was definitely the one before the epilogue. I liked the epilogue as well, but something about chapter 20 was amazing for me. I'll go into detail later...

Also, don't worry when I start using my laptop, to post it'll be much more readable...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 20:18   Link #4310
WilsonYu343

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Othinus's capable of reality warping on universal scale with close to no efforts, and you do not classify her as a god? That's quite a standard here...
There are numerous reason why I do not consider her a "god" even though she is called a magic god.

The first reason is that her reality warping is very underwhelming. Her reality warping works in that she is only capable of changing our universe and reality warp it once at a time. Another is that her reality warping works in a way that she herself describle in NT 9 as I quote her "

“Call me a god. And what I have done is simple. I have created new filters and placed them over the world so the world appears to have changed. That is why the world appeared changed to you. This is a lot easier than destroying everything and building it back up every time. And your right hand contains the power to level out any foreign elements in the world, so it has difficulty functioning when I change the world itself. …Still, results are everything in the world. In the end, history will record it like this: the Magic God repeatedly destroyed the world and created new ones to make a single boy suffer as much as possible.”" - From Toaru NT 9 Connecting the lines

This proof that all her feat of "recreating the world and destroying it" are all nullify because she isn't doing it. She is merely changing the phases and changing the appearances of it. Whcih mean she literally have no feat of her destroying the entire universe and recreating it from nothing.

Another thing that bothers me about her is that a human did what she could not. In Toaur NT 10, Alester himself was able to go to the very phase that Othinus could not reach and breach it to reveal the other existence of the "magic gods"
How can a mere human do what a mere god couldn't? Isn't that contradictory?

From the epilouge of NT 10

"But in truth, there had been one more layer. It was as uniform as a thin membrane, it had not even the slightest seam, and it could not be detected or destroyed by anyone, but one last phase had existed.
This black world was the place not even Magic God Othinus had been able to destroy."

The book itself state the Othinus could not destroy this last phase of the world. How is a god a god when he/she could not even destroy everything in a universe?

Okay Wilson Yu, than what is a god to you.

To me a god is someone who is capable of destroying universes and creating them like they are raindrops. Their powers are not limited to one universe because their power is unlimited. They can change all of creation including every single bloody universe and multiverse that are out there and they are omniscient and omnipotent meaning they know everything and nothing can stop them.

Is Othinus Omnipotent and Omniscient, nope and nope. A fairy spell stopped her power, and she did not know why she was losing to Touma in their infinity battles in NT 9 when Touma almost defeated her. (Don't want to quote this because anyone who read NT 9 should know what i am talking about) (Why am I taking more damage even though I am a god - Othinus, Cause this is fun - Touma)

Another thing that she could not perfectly recreate the world that she was from. How can you not perfectly recreate a universe when you are a god. Mind blowing.

“I don’t know the details of this whole ‘phase’ thing, but you have the ability to freely change the shape of the world like clay. Due to that, you completely forgot what world you originally lived in. You desperately tried to create a world based on the scenery you remembered. You added in and removed phase after phase. …And this was the work of a god. It was probably so close to perfect that no human could tell the difference. But as a god, ‘close to perfect’ wasn’t good enough for you.” - NT 9

In the quote from above Touma is telling Othinus (Why is he always correct, seriously) what her problem is. At we all know he is always right when he do this, don't know why but well yea..........

Anyways there are many instance in the book that proofs that Othinus is not a god even thoug she is titled as magical god.

Othinus is far from a god, she is a failure and I am pretty sure all of the other magic gods that reside in that one hidden phase of the world will agree with me.

TL;DR

she is not a god, book proofs it in my eyes. You guys can all say she is a god and that her powerful reality warping proofs she is a god but she is not to me cause she isn't omniscient or omnipotent. Not only that but if she really is a god, why is she in the book. She could solved all her problems with a snap of a finger and yet she have not demonstrate that one bit. A God is very boring to put in a book because if they are truly god there would be no plot.

But eh that is my opinion and nothing else. My definition of a god is very high in the sky.
WilsonYu343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 20:29   Link #4311
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
she is not a god, book proofs it in my eyes. You guys can all say she is a god and that her powerful reality warping proofs she is a god but she is not to me cause she isn't omniscient or omnipotent. Not only that but if she really is a god, why is she in the book. She could solved all her problems with a snap of a finger and yet she have not demonstrate that one bit. A God is very boring to put in a book because if they are truly god there would be no plot.
you are really making no sense
She's a god as in
a god of magic
of magic
there are many different types of gods

Quote:
In the quote from above Touma is telling Othinus (Why is he always correct, seriously) what her problem is. At we all know he is always right when he do this, don't know why but well yea..........
You're gonna have to go back and read the entire series if you actually think he's always right. At its stated that he finally understood her, thats why he said that
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 20:30   Link #4312
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonYu343 View Post
There are numerous reason why I do not consider her a "god" even though she is called a magic god.

Spoiler for length:

Well as far as your point about Aleister, he is a human who apparently took special measures to prevent himself from ending up like the others, which makes me wonder if he was at a similar level, but purposely took another path to "godhood." He himself has made it clear that he wants to reach a higher level. This series has so much extraordinary special powers and physics that I think it clashes strongly with the normal definition of God that applies in traditional stories. Kamachi called her one, so I think she is one in a sense.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 20:36   Link #4313
Requiem-x
The slacking one

If I got to choose, I've got to go with Touma trolls Kanzaki: The chapter It was just pure, concentrated fun seeing Touma get out of what should've been the ultimate OH **** situation by such simple means, and hey, she enjoyed it

That said, most of this volume was very enjoyable for one reason or another.

I don't criticize you for having chapter 20 as your favorite, dniv, it pretty much had something for everyone, including (and especially) shippers. Like NT2, this was a case when a volume really shouldn't be this good going by the most common standards, but it just nailed some kind of perfect middle point.

Also, chibi Othinus is officially a thing. How can I be mad?

And I can't stop re-reading this line

Quote:
“I see…”

At that point, his brain finally caught up to reality.

Othinus was right in front of him. He could speak with her once more. As he thought about that simple and basic fact, he was not sure what expression was on his face.

At any rate, he repeated himself once more as if letting out what had gathered in his chest.

“I see.”
It's just nice to see Touma get a break after so much punishment.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 20:36   Link #4314
Verrueckter
Sarcastic Ass

My faves were:

Misaka - Touma got Touma'd, love that role reversal from the bridge scene in the Sister's Arc. Misaka punching Touma in the face and destroying his illusion was priceless.

Kanzaki - Touma the Troll at his best, laughing like a madman as Kanzaki jumps after him. Also the Kanzaki mid-air groping festival was hilarious. Even though it's a funny chapter, there's a lot to be said about a Kanzaki jumping out after him without hesitation and fighting the English Monster Trio single-handed. It would seem the Priestess is happy to be relied on by Touma, even if he does so by playing her.
Verrueckter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 20:40   Link #4315
dazo

Quote:
Magic God Othinus had not been born a magic god. She had used a special method to obtain the knowledge, performed a unique ritual based on that knowledge, and broke out of her human shell.
i think that you dont become "god", you gain the power of the god or "status", based in the ritual you are performing.
the original material , is still a human.
Old 2014-05-25, 20:41   Link #4316
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonYu343 View Post
*snip*

From what NT 9 shows she actually has the power to destroy the universe and create a new one but the use of filters in the end showed that she had too much attachment to the old world or pure world to completely destroy it. in the final battle with Touma she had the intention of destroying everything and creating a new one. Which is why she is throwing away her dream of returning to the pure world in doing so.

Quote:
Magic God Othinus could control everything. Without exaggeration, she controlled the world itself. If she wanted to, she could have galaxies collide to kill Kamijou Touma. Or she could break the bonds between the particles making up his body and cause his very existence to disperse. If she was the slightest bit dissatisfied with something, she could turn back time, re-lay the rails of fate that led to the future, and create the exact result she wanted.
Quote:
Othinus had presented her first and second hopes. Would she return to her original world or create the next world? Even if the result was the same, the process was different. It was a natural diamond versus an artificial diamond. That tiny difference would constantly give her the same sense of alienation that Kamijou Touma had felt when left out of that world filled with peace and smiles.
So IMO Othinus can actually create a whole new universe, but for her it wouldn't be the one she came which is why she hesitated to completely destroy the old world.

Unless you are comparing her to the one almighty god from Christianity that would be able to make something from nothing then she may fall short. she needs the clay to mold I suppose.

Speaking of which if this phase was made by Othinus and she can alter the world to that extent in some ways she could be seen as the one who created this world. Just what have the Christians in this story been worshiping? The one who created Othinus? The one who created the world that Othinus altered? It's really hard to say just where the god of Christianity is present in all of this.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 21:17   Link #4317
dazo

Quote:
So IMO Othinus can actually create a whole new universe, but for her it wouldn't be the one she came which is why she hesitated to completely destroy the old world.
but her original world is the very"original" or just another world created?

and if ib is the safe point , the "original "world is the update version of the pure world?, then her world is already lost

Quote:
Speaking of which if this phase was made by Othinus and she can alter the world to that extent in some ways she could be seen as the one who created this world. Just what have the Christians in this story been worshiping? The one who created Othinus? The one who created the world that Othinus altered? It's really hard to say just where the god of Christianity is present in all of this.
mmmm can she change the based of religions? that would change the power of the other magics gods... maybe is a taboo or a agreement between gods.
Old 2014-05-25, 21:31   Link #4318
Miraluka
Banned

Or just her boasting something she believes while the other magic gods were there LTAO

Note the she reached the status as "Magic God" but not as The Almighty(that's how Kanzaki described it, vol.4) or The One True God.

Probably that's Aleister's goal.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 22:30   Link #4319
dazo

to become "the one true god", i suppose you need the power of "god" , and the mindset of "god",(+ mind blow method)..maybe this is the reason of ac, understand how the world start, work and will end ..

...aleister still have the emotion of a human...so .. still a long way to go
Old 2014-05-25, 22:52   Link #4320
Miraluka
Banned

This could be for magic side as well, a magician the reaches that level without being tainted by religion developing a pure form of "magic".
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boss rush, denmark