AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2014-09-06, 06:07   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf
Under the Dog producer, Hiroaki Yura, just did an AMA session on Reddit today (Sept 4, 2014). There were some interesting questions and answers that gave insight into how the anime industry works as a whole.

Working within this forum's rules, here are some of the noteworthy Q&As:
Quote:
Hiroaki Yura (HY): We'll make sure we wont tread the usual Japanese production committee version of funding. We will still definitely produce it (we already have offer for 2 seasons, 26 episodes!) but we prefer to be funded by the people to retain our creative independence!

Q: Could you elaborate more on what's wrong with the usual production committee version of funding? Is it so restrictive that it prevents the production of more innovative anime titles?

HY: Yes it will be. They don't want to take the risks with innovative or edgy ideas for anime. They just want to do the anime that is selling well next door.
Quote:
Q: Without giving away spoilers, what kind of creative things are normally restricted?

HY: Like... negative or tragedy ridden anime. Creative writing and ideas which is out of bounds of "light novels"... not-so-moe or fan-service type character designs, etc

Q: Just curious, how do some of the more artsy anime get funded by production committees when it's fairly obvious that they won't sell well? I'm especially curious about original anime like Texhnolyze and RD Sennou Chousashitsu, but adaptations like Kino no Tabi seem like they should be doomed as well.

HY: The studio themselves puts up a lot of the money or companies radical enough to support a particular artist.
Quote:
Q: With the current state of the anime industry, is it easy to get discouraged when original concepts such as Under the Dog need crowd-funding just to be made?

HY: I hope UTD will give an example that the Japanese anime industry should really focus their attention globally, not just our tiny Japanese audience. Anime should be for the whole world, not just Japan. We don't always want moe anime or a light novel based anime. I for one long to see anime like Akira...

Japan, is only a little part of the whole world. I am very careful of doing this since I was raised in Australia despite being Japanese. Also yes, I feel there can be non-Japanese animators as well. Actually I know plenty who work in Japan on animation who aren't Japanese.
Quote:
Q: In the past few years each anime season will feature shows that just seem like reskins of what aired last month. Do you hope Under the Dog will be something fresh and set a new standard in the modern anime industry?

HY: Absolutely. There are fewer and fewer anime I feel interested or compelled to watch each season. Every year, I hear huge political struggles from industry colleagues and they are saddened by the fact if they could put more effort in their work rather than politics, it'd be so much better. Without much politics and freely doing what we want to do, I hope simply by doing that, UTD will reach new industry standards.

Q: So the production committee process creates a massive amount of stupid unneeded politics?

HY: Indeed they do. Most are interested in only promoting/selling their own portions. For example a music publisher may chip in for an anime but what they want to sell and what they promote is solely the music. They are not interested in anime as a whole but more of like a stepping stone.
Quote:
Q: 1) Can you talk a bit in detail what a producer does, or what you do as a producer? 2) A couple issues in the Japanese animation industry are short, difficult schedules and low pay for many animators. Have you taken either of these into consideration in your project? 3) Any hints for future Creative Intelligence Arts projects?

HY: 1) A Producer a) picks the members/studio to create the animation b) source the funding c) promote the animation d) keep everyone (I mean EVERYONE!!!) happy e) distribute the animation in the best way possible; 2) Yes. UTD will ultimately share a lot of the money generated from the project back to the creators (which production committees usually don't do); 3) We do have several anime and video game project up our sleeves but that's all we can tell you
Quote:
Q: Why are violas better than violins?

HY: Because violas are more sonorous, deep and richer. And I mean it.
Thanks for this selection of questions and answers. The specific project aside I found reading these interesting.
Old 2014-09-06, 06:38   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Thanks for this selection of questions and answers. The specific project aside I found reading these interesting.
Frankly, I find the interview far more interesting than the potential anime. He says much which lays bare the crisis facing the industry today, but all of this is in support of a project which, by the looks of it, is completely in-line with the stuff he says he doesn't want to be forced to make. It's an odd scenario.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 08:34   Link #23
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Anyway, I think the main point here is that doing things this way they get to do what they want instead of what a production committee wants.
Someone on the Anime News Network forums made a pretty sharp observation that exchanging a production committee for crowd-funding does not actually make any difference: Either way, you're still subject to the whims of your investors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by configspace
In any case... production committees exist for a reason. If they funded it they would also need to pay out $232,000 x 26 ($6,032,000) just for the animation production alone, plus pre-production and marketing and business negotiations and other misc. expenses. But did you know that studios and creators themselves can also be part of the production committee, *IF* they have the money to at least partially fund their own creations. Sunrise is a primary committee member for most of their creations.

Of course there are strings attached. He who pays the piper calls the tune. But how is that any different from crowdfunding? They are offering a tune and you decide if you want to pay them for it. There are strings attached by backers too, as all exchanges/trades comes with strings attached. Ironically the same backers eventually resemble production committee themselves whenever dissatisfaction arises or whenever choices are offered by the project.
As many here rightly observed, the premise of this project isn't actually very different from a number of action anime out there revolving around pretty girls with guns. The fact that it made its Kickstarter goal probably says more about the type of anime international audiences like, than it does about the actual viability of this funding model.

I highly suspect, for example, that setting up a Kickstarter for Kino no Tabi is going to be any easier than begging for money from a production committee.

But on a day-to-day, operational level, there may perhaps be greater creative freedom for the artists and animators involved in a project like UTD. And if it can contribute, in some small way, to better wages for the creators in the long run, then I'd say it's worthy cause.

Overall, it'll be like a proof-of-concept. In which case, every small success is worth celebrating.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 10:51   Link #24
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As many here rightly observed, the premise of this project isn't actually very different from a number of action anime out there revolving around pretty girls with guns. The fact that it made its Kickstarter goal probably says more about the type of anime international audiences like, than it does about the actual viability of this funding model.
How many true "girls with guns" anime do we have right now actually? I can only think of old titles like Dirty Pair and Gunsmith Cats, and perhaps a few more recent ones like Noir and Canaan. But today I don't see anything quite like that anymore as LN-like elements and moe chara designs are more integrated into everything. Anyway, this is supposed to be a project based on a script from 1997 if I remember correctly, and considering the overview and the trailer, I would expect the final result to be sort of a blend of Noir and Canaan, which is okay in my book. I want to see an anime like that. It's definitely not artsy anime, but it's not the same thing that's made today either.

Quote:
But on a day-to-day, operational level, there may perhaps be greater creative freedom for the artists and animators involved in a project like UTD. And if it can contribute, in some small way, to better wages for the creators in the long run, then I'd say it's worthy cause.
Like I said in my preview post, you may or may not like the final product, but I think this is more about being allowed to work more freely, which also means having better labor conditions: more money, less hectic schedules, that sort of thing.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-09-06 at 11:03.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 15:32   Link #25
kuromitsu

It's not about whether it's "'true' girls with guns"(??) anime or not - it's that it's a flashy action series starring a cute girl kicking ass and whatnot. If you're into that good for you, but based on the trailer (and that's all we have to go on for the moment) it's as generic and "typical anime" as it can be, and it's even seemingly tailored the casual western audience's expectations of what "anime" is which just makes it even more boring and generic. (The talk of Akira in the interview doesn't help, good thing he didn't add Spirited Away or Oshii's Ghost in the Shell...)

When Yuasa Masaaki did a Kickstarter he did it for an anime that really wouldn't have gotten financed otherwise because of the story and Yuasa's peculiar style. But this? I imagine if an American company hasn't thrown money at them yet it's because they, too, think it's so generic it won't sell. Yes, I understand what he's saying about production politics and whatnot (then again, isn't this pretty much the same everywhere? like, wow, a music company is in it to promote its product - am I supposed to be surprised? ), and it would be great if that changed for the better but 1) if he's against generic shows why is he making a generic show, and 2) I fail to see how crowdfunding is the answer.

(Btw, regardless of how and why and how much they sell, good and intelligent and/or unique anime still get to be made... and they don't need the creators being obnoxious and going "no LN/moe shit in here!!" to be good.)

But good luck to him, it's not like I want him to fail or anything. I just wish this looked like something I'd want to support.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 15:55   Link #26
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
it's that it's a flashy action series starring a cute girl kicking ass and whatnot.
That definition is way too broad. You get attractive action girls in all sort of shows, from the likes of Hidan no Aria to something like Noir, or even things like Ghost is the Shell, for example. Some are LN shit, others are pretty complex works. Heck, even the cute or attractive girls alone can be pretty different depending their characterizations and designs. All in all, I think writing this thing off just because it has action and pretty girls is pretty silly to me, but to each their own I guess.
Old 2014-09-06, 18:02   Link #27
IceHism

Why do they keep talking about LN stuff but not anything to do with VNs or Mangas. Makes zero sense to me. Some LNs are good and some are bad. Same with every other medium.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 18:17   Link #28
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Some LNs are good
Yeah but those aren't the ones that get adapted to anime the most.
Old 2014-09-06, 18:48   Link #29
IceHism

Quote:
list some lns you think are good

And please, you are acting like good VNs get adapted most of the time. Tell me when they adapt something like cross channel, tsukihime, mahoyo, subahibi, muv luv alternative(not total eclipse), kikokugai, or dies irae.

Last edited by IceHism; 2014-09-06 at 21:10.
Old 2014-09-06, 20:35   Link #30
Zoel

Quote:
Adapt the rest of the Full Metal Panic novels and I'll be happy.
Old 2014-09-06, 20:58   Link #31
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
How is that any different from any other source material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Though it does differ from LN in that there's no male protag in there someplace, LNs almost always have a male protag surrounded by girls.
If you ask me, taking away a male protagonist just makes the ratio of girls to guys even more onesided.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-09-06 at 21:20.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 22:50   Link #32
Kazu-kun

The ratio doesn't matter as much as who gets to be an actual character with a proper goal and agency. Most anime girls this day don't fall into that category, so if they can at least show something different in that respect, I'd feel satisfied.
Old 2014-09-07, 11:49   Link #33
Dextro
He Without a Title

I for one am rather hopeful to see what comes out of this one. I can agree that the premise doesn't sound particularly original but that's only if we're comparing the show to the entire history of anime and not the last couple of years. When was the last time that a female lead didn't get tied up with a second male lead that served as a viewpoint and straight man to the "weird" girl antics? Of the top of my head I can think of Jormungand and Canaan but the type of show was a bit different I wreckon.

Also there's a major difference between a committee and kickstarter backers: the latter aren't usually directly involved in the production process. Most of the times they are hardly involved at all! The site has worked wonders as a way to finance full fledged ideas, it's actually in nurturing and evolving interesting but unfinalized concepts that the model has failed.

Anyway I'm not expecting a masterpiece out of this, only proof that audiences outside of Japan can be seen as a target market to Japanese animation companies (and the same goes for Santa Company as well).
Old 2014-09-07, 12:16   Link #34
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Why do they keep talking about LN stuff but not anything to do with VNs or Mangas. Makes zero sense to me. Some LNs are good and some are bad. Same with every other medium.
Because it's bunch of morons who think anime needs saving.
Old 2014-09-07, 16:32   Link #35
bakato

Under The Dog Anime Kickstarter Campaign Raises US$878,028.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 17:06   Link #36
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Because it's bunch of morons who think anime needs saving.
I can understand if they want to make more original anime with more creative control.

But they are acting like stuff found in LNs aren't found in VNs or mangas and that the former is cancer while the latter two arent while they don't even go into explaining why despite the fact that the only thing that separates them.... Is medium.
Old 2014-09-07, 18:23   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Some people look at the collective body of anime that comes from LNs - which is undeniably a greater and greater percentage of the total - and see something that's substantially weaker (less ambitious, more formulaic, with flat characters) than the body of anime adapted from manga. Some don't. Whether you do or not is generally consistent with whether you believe there's anything wrong with the anime medium on the whole at the moment, and that's not a coincidence.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 20:54   Link #38
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

If you pledge through paypal, do you get the same rewards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
#keepanimealive is so stupid that it hurts.
Also whole this project is so generic that makes me want to rewatch Birdy.
Have to agree. I look forward to this, but that hashtag is stupid.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 08:18   Link #39
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Some people look at the collective body of anime that comes from LNs - which is undeniably a greater and greater percentage of the total - and see something that's substantially weaker (less ambitious, more formulaic, with flat characters) than the body of anime adapted from manga. Some don't. Whether you do or not is generally consistent with whether you believe there's anything wrong with the anime medium on the whole at the moment, and that's not a coincidence.
There's truth in this, but TBH if there's indeed something wrong with the anime medium on the whole at the moment* the root of the problem is definitely not what gets adapted and what doesn't (which is one reason why I'm seriously side-eyeing this whole ~save anime!!!~ business), and perhaps not even how it gets made. To be all clichéd and boring, TV shows are a business. Sometimes there are individuals or groups who, for various reasons, are willing to take a risk to produce something that likely won't make be a financial success (and all deities bless them for that), but other than that? Studios/producers/etc. want to make money, and I see nothing inherently wrong with that.

The reason why we have so many LN adaptations nowadays (or, to widen our scope, adaptations of popular mainstream manga such as Shingeki no kyojin, or the more mainstream kind of niche manga such as the string of school romance shoujo stuff we've been getting for a while) is that you can reliably count on these being financially successful due to the easily accessible content, and the built-in fanbase generating hype and eventual sales. Sure, a show can be successful not necessarily only by the way of BD sales but also by drumming up interest in the source material or the official goods. Still, for less merchandise-minded shows and/or originals BD sales are pretty much the only way to generate a profit. Except BDs tend to be insanely expensive, and the anime market is still mostly fandom-oriented which 1) doesn't leave non-mainstream shows a lot of opportunities to be noticed, 2) keeps domestic releases functioning as overpriced collectors' items, deterring many potential casual buyers. (There's also the problem with the availability of TV shows, since not everything airs everywhere.)

(And in the meanwhile, as far as I'm aware overseas sales continue to be a teeny tiny slice of the overall pie, and in their fear of Japanese fans reverse importing the cheaper overseas releases, companies keep introducing measures that do absolutely nothing to help the situation.)

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that all the LN adaptations are not the problem, they're the symptom of a complex problem that runs very deep.

*Although it's not like there's a mystical "good old times" when we had nothing but worthy series in each season... there were always tons of mediocre/formulaic stuff, and great/unusual/interesting shows were always in the minority. The mediocre/formulaic stuff just followed different trends in different times.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 11:56   Link #40
SkoolRumble4Ya

I'll probably check this out but fuck that producer opinion.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote