AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 11 Rating
Perfect 10 47 44.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.95%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.95%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-18, 15:20   Link #2301
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
The only thing I can think of is that Musujime wanted to find out if specially intelligent animals could develop esper powers or if they were exclusive to humans for some unknown reason but I'm not sure if there's anything else. And this for NT7:
If the source for esper powers was only the brain and Rensa can rearrange her brain and body to recreate other esper's why would she just be able to act as an output point and stop being able to use a power if the owner dies but she still has their data?
Excellent, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthaeh View Post
I personally highly doubt Kamachi has strong formal engineering or physics background. He makes too many basic physics/science mistakes (scattered throughout the entire series) for me to think otherwise; and in general his inclusion of science seems more like an enthusiast who read about something interesting but doesn't have the background to fully understand the science behind it.

I do admit that he finds a lot of interesting ideas, some of which may come from more recent research or concepts. So I'd say it's very possible he does look up things on the ideas, just not at the level of an expert.
Same with magic, or rather religion. I mean, don't get me wrong, Kamachi is levels above the typical chuuni LNs that like to throw Norse mythology left and right, but still makes many mistakes. He apparently does deep research, so much that he uses obscure myths (like Thororm, Bersi, Whitting), or even references some offhand (Celtic magic projectiles, German freeshooter who sold his soul, etc), but when it comes to Christianity or Christian theology, it's...kinda weird.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 16:23   Link #2302
Cthaeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoHalo View Post
Hmm, one of the worst mistakes are probably Mikoto's lightning spears going at lightspeed, but hey, when you warp reality you get things like that.

Do you have some examples?
Note this is just a list of things I noted while reading or remembered, so there are no doubt others too. I’m also not infallible, so there's a small chance my rough explanations for why Kamachi is wrong could be wrong themselves.

Spoiler for list:
Cthaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 17:05   Link #2303
bakato

Chapter 4 is up!
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 17:41   Link #2304
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Your success was stolen from you? You had talent, but you weren’t placed on the proper stage? You can find similar situations anywhere you look.”

“…”

“Do you think every country can provide their Olympic athletes the same funding and equipment? How many countries do you think want to go to space but can’t carry out realistic space development? It isn’t rare for competitions to be influenced by more than just one’s pure skill. Competing in the exact same environment and under the exact same conditions is something you only see in the lukewarm miniature gardens adults prepare for children. That only applies to school tests that have no bearing on your actual life.”

Her words stabbed out at the other girl.

Her words mocked this girl who had lost her way.

And those clear words continued.

“But it’s human nature that leads us to win regardless. If doing everything right isn’t enough to win, the winners will work two or even three times as hard. They’ll show off what they can do by with a method no one else had thought of. That’s what leads to the instant an athlete who trained by running through the wasteland defeats the elite athlete who trained in a cutting-edge gym. If you want to reach space, you make your way to a realistic launch pad even if it means leaving your home country. …When adults fight, it comes down to a conflict between adults with childlike looks in their eyes as they work to both stay true to the type of race their predecessors established and also to produce shocking results that completely overturn those expectations.”

So there was no reason to feel inferior.

There was a reason she had been chosen.

Mitsuari Ayu was no different from the people who shamelessly begged a lottery winner to treat them to something. Except she was not even an old acquaintance; she was someone Shokuhou had never even heard of before.

Shokuhou was not about to let someone like that take everything from her.

The loss of a single possibility had been enough to make Mitsuari rot and she now wanted to be a child with a mature look in her eyes, so she would never have been able to withstand the pressure of holding Academy City’s #5 ability.

“And I happen to know something else.”

Shokuhou continued to challenge the girl even as her stomach was squeezed to the limit.

“I know of an ‘older boy’ who stuck to his own path without rotting despite being a Level 0. On that day back then when he spoke with his back turned and protecting me, he clearly surpassed me and my all-too-pathetic Level 5 ability. Your actual skill doesn’t matter. Coolly calculating out all the numbers is pointless. No matter how many arguments you prepare, you have no choice but to accept defeat once he walks in from beyond the horizon. I am very familiar with a Level 0 like that☆”

What was it that kept Mitsuari from shining like that?

Not becoming a Level 5?

That was not enough to deny someone their humanity.

Having her possibilities stolen by the adults?

If that was enough for her to give up, had she truly put in any effort in the first place?

Did that mean any crime of hers could be forgiven?

That was the same as treating all Level 3s and below like criminals.

“You are weak,” summed up Shokuhou Misaki. “From the moment you could only use your life as an excuse for committing crimes, you insulted that very life. You didn’t notice, you were afraid of noticing, and you went around destroying everything that could make you notice, but you have also crushed your ability to ever gather respect. Even if you managed to reach the position of Level 5.”
You go girl

Quote:
Shokuhou Misaki made an announcement as if challenging the other girl.

“But I’m still going to save you♪ Because I know that’s what he would do.”

He had saved her like that.

She stood here today because of his decision.

And so no matter how pathetic, ridiculous, or meaningless to others it might be, she refused to reject that salvation.

No matter what.
Misaki emulating the TouMAN
Old 2014-10-18, 17:52   Link #2305
FlyingCow65

Spoiler for Incredible Spoiler:

Can you hear it? Can you f*cking hear it?! Thats pure badassery there. Pure incredible badass moment of the character who has been keep secret from volume 1.

That line has so much Optimus Prime that it´s so awsome!!!!!!! ZOMG!!!!!!!
FlyingCow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 17:59   Link #2306
dazo
english for dummies 2 ed.

Quote:
“Our relationship might be similar to Shirai Kuroko and Musujime Awaki’s,” said the girl named Mitsuari Ayu.
who?
Quote:
“You are weak,” summed up Shokuhou Misaki. “From the moment you could only use your life as an excuse for committing crimes, you insulted that very life.
mmmmm..it true but there are other factors....but.. its fiction. so..

Quote:
“I did not have toast in my mouth. Come to think of it, that means you’re the one that brought my phone to Anti-Skill. Thanks for that.”
What had Kamijou Touma really thought back then?
When he said that, he had to have known that the disappearance of that cellphone had prevented him from protecting a life.
yes...
Quote:
“I wanted to be saved,” said Mitsuari.
pff live is not like that
Quote:
“I said I wanted to help people. I really did say that during that same time you spent with him. And yet…this was the only path available for me. I could never let him know that the Mitsuari Ayu he knew still lives as the utterly-changed ruins of that person.”
Quote:
just punch her already...

she need a hug and rehab ..for a few months/years
Old 2014-10-18, 18:05   Link #2307
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Shokuhou Misaki made an announcement as if challenging the other girl.
New power unlocked.

Acquired skill: Touma's Battle Aura.

Grants you the right to deliver a badass speech towards a person who lost the way to live like a boss.

Now you can see Touma's spirit right behind Misaki.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 18:06   Link #2308
LG-MAX 2.o

frankly, Kamachi is so obsessed with saving, which makes me think that this is a his fetish or that he failed to save a friend (girl)

anyway, it's time for Misaki to use the final technique, Falcon Punch.

Quote:
so, the villain is girl in distress..again..
I would like to see an old school villain in Index, those who reigned in the action films of the 90s, which are bad because they like it,

but I think it's easier a girl without to be Mikoto kissing Touma on the mouth, sigh.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 18:22   Link #2309
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Chapter 4 first two parts were so good! They made me sad though.

Poor Mitsuari/Misaki...

Also, the more interesting repercussion of the chapter IS about Touma's past and about his past personality.

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

I have a faint suspicion that Kamachi is giving us this info now because Touma is going to fail to protect someone very soon in upcoming books... and we'll get to see if there's any difference in how his personality changes after that. I find it interesting though that he had failed to save someone even after he had already acquired Imagine Breaker... This makes the complaints about Touma always guaranteed to save everyone... false...

I have a feeling that this was the main purpose for this book... at least so far...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 18:29   Link #2310
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 4:

I have a faint suspicion that Kamachi is giving us this info now because Touma is going to fail to protect someone very soon in upcoming books... and we'll get to see if there's any difference in how his personality changes after that. I find it interesting though that he had failed to save someone even after he had already acquired Imagine Breaker... This makes the complaints about Touma always guaranteed to save everyone... false...
It's in the past AND off screen.

What you're seeing now, is what basically all of Index's former friends went trough after failing to save her... (there is still missing the 2 years guardian).
Old 2014-10-18, 18:36   Link #2311
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Acquired skill: Touma's Battle Aura.
More like Aspect of the Touma.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 18:51   Link #2312
Doc Astaroth

I don't really understand... Is Mitsuari a ghost now or something like that? Or did she failed her suicide attempt?
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 19:14   Link #2313
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Astaroth View Post
I don't really understand... Is Mitsuari a ghost now or something like that? Or did she failed her suicide attempt?
I think she failed, and if we hear about how she survived... I have a faint suspicion that this may give us insight into how Tsuchimikado could have survived falling into the water as well...

Edit:

Also, the point was that even if it was in the past and off-screen, Touma has had it happen before. Which means that the Majins can't seem to prevent everything as opposed to what haters would like to think. I'm also hoping this means that we'll get a parallel very soon. After all, even after the Othinus arc, she didn't die. Touma still hasn't failed to protect someone yet. I'm expecting that to happen very soon, in order to contrast his current self with his past self after this volume.

Last edited by dniv; 2014-10-18 at 19:25.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 19:29   Link #2314
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

She failed in her attempt but what she really wanted was for someone to care about her enough to stop her from doing it but once she woke up, no one was there(Touma). It's an understandable thing
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 19:42   Link #2315
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Chapter 4: Chance Meeting >> Audience Chamber — Duel_in_the_Mind. Parts 1-2

Reactions~~Let's go!

Spoiler for Reactions:

So, what can I say? First, it's important to actually note that the reason Ayu hates Misaki is not solely the Parameter List, although it remains a quite minor factor. The reason she hates Misaki is actually quite sensible and I really like Ayu's character. She's another 'What-if/Character who failed' type character like Aureolus or Himegami which actually speaks a lot to me as someone who loves OT Volume 02.

Next, and most importantly for me, we finally found out the answer to a question I have been asking for a while. How did Kamijou get such a pessimistic outlook as he had in OT Volume 01 especially it does not seem to fit his character? While it was a fairly predictable reason, I am glad that it has finally been confirmed. That has been at least one person who Kamijou failed to save and because of that his regret got the better of him.

Overall, those two parts were incredibly well-written and well-executed while bringing things back full-circle. I have to say that for such a short volume, Kamachi has done a wonderful job.
Old 2014-10-18, 19:43   Link #2316
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Is anyone else glad that Misaki is trying to help Mitsuari because I feel really bad for her and would have been pretty pissed off if she was just beaten as a villain and left to rot and feel even worse
(love this series)
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 19:45   Link #2317
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Also, the point was that even if it was in the past and off-screen, Touma has had it happen before. Which means that the Majins can't seem to prevent everything as opposed to what haters would like to think. I'm also hoping this means that we'll get a parallel very soon. After all, even after the Othinus arc, she didn't die. Touma still hasn't failed to protect someone yet. I'm expecting that to happen very soon, in order to contrast his current self with his past self after this volume.
That's implying those magic gods really moved their hand towards that goal.
Old 2014-10-18, 19:45   Link #2318
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
Is anyone else glad that Misaki is trying to help Mitsuari because I feel really bad for her and would have been pretty pissed off if she was just beaten as a villain and left to rot and feel even worse
(love this series)
If she was just a villain who was solely meant to be left to rot while wallowing in despair, Kamachi would be breaking quite a major theme of the series. That's part of what makes this series so charming.
Old 2014-10-18, 19:49   Link #2319
LazyHunter

So Misaki activates her 'Touma Aura' and Mitsuari counters with her 'Yandere Mode'

It was a matter of time someone from Touma's unknown past would be an antagonist, and Mitsuari being a girl he couldn't save is as interesting as her parallels with Misaki. Can't wait to see how this ends.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 19:56   Link #2320
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Wow, you take it very seriously, if at least she had committed suicide with Touma seeing, OK, but now we know the truth and she will finally be cleansed of all evil in the current volume and join the harem. We have a happy ending!
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstory, flashbacks, jungian archetypes, shokuhou misaki