AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-02-05, 11:23   Link #2661
Xarunai
Overlord's little helper

It's a little eye opening tho. There's not much happening in the light novel if you think about it.

Momon's inner monologue and world description takes up to 70% of the book. Since the manga is a visual media you don't need to tell as much as show the scenery, and momon's inner mind has been summarized. Everyone's facial expression and body language also helps ease up on the exposition.

All in all...pineapple
Xarunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 12:58   Link #2662
Namorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMetalBunny View Post
Honestly I don't think ch.3 of the manga is all that bad. It's basically just what I expected it to be. Every WN to manga looses quite a lot especially the majority of narration and detail on death.
We also loose the "Ainz&Company is so OP compared to everyone else in this world"-part.
The LN describes how the Deathknight toys with the Knights: We're shown that a "mid-level" summon of Ainz is strong enough to shrug off everything the Knights can throw at it. Then We get the usual shonen "we will prevail through friendship teamwork"-scene where the Knights bet everything on the hope that their reinforcements are strong enough to deal with this monster.
And the LN shows us that despite the heroic/tragic success of their plan... the reinforcements were already wiped out by Momonga.

The manga? DK appears, runs off->scene-jump to Ainz who wiped out random soldiers->scene-jump to Deathknight being in the process of wiping out another group of soldiers.

Compared to the LN we lost maybe 60% of the content >_>
If you haven't read the LN... would you have realised how desperately the Knight struggled against DK? That alone would've been worth of a chapter, with the horn sounding as the cliffhanger.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 15:01   Link #2663
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
We also loose the "Ainz&Company is so OP compared to everyone else in this world"-part.
The LN describes how the Deathknight toys with the Knights: We're shown that a "mid-level" summon of Ainz is strong enough to shrug off everything the Knights can throw at it. Then We get the usual shonen "we will prevail through friendship teamwork"-scene where the Knights bet everything on the hope that their reinforcements are strong enough to deal with this monster.
And the LN shows us that despite the heroic/tragic success of their plan... the reinforcements were already wiped out by Momonga.

The manga? DK appears, runs off->scene-jump to Ainz who wiped out random soldiers->scene-jump to Deathknight being in the process of wiping out another group of soldiers.

Compared to the LN we lost maybe 60% of the content >_>
If you haven't read the LN... would you have realised how desperately the Knight struggled against DK? That alone would've been worth of a chapter, with the horn sounding as the cliffhanger.
I think that OP part will be made relatively obvious with the next chapter and they don't need to waste precious pages showing every grunt getting stomped on.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 15:04   Link #2664
DemiDomo
Rest in peace Monty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I think that OP part will be made relatively obvious with the next chapter and they don't need to waste precious pages showing every grunt getting stomped on.
But thats 80% of the action.
DemiDomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 16:00   Link #2665
kraqen

Well, you can blame the manga for removing a lot of scenes, since most of them aren't that important. We know that the Death Knight has wiped almost all the soldiers with no effort, as we didn't need the guardians talking about how awesome is Ainzs and how all of them want the Ainz-bowl after he activates his "aura".

But removing the conversation with the village chief does truly affect the pacing of the chapter. Everything related Gazef in this chapter seems rushed. He's like "hey mister, seems that you save this people, that's cool. Well, I don't know you, but you're cool, so I'm leaving to face an enemy that is close for no special reason, so until next time". He just seems to arrive in a moment too close to Ainz's arrival.

Also, by skipping the conversation with the Village Chief, the readers are introduced to a character of a certain "Empire", that must be different of the Kingdom that Gazef seems to serve, but you don't get a gasp of the situation of the war between the two states and why the village is being attacked by them (is the Kingdom losing? Is the village one of the first of a large invasion?).

Hopefully we'll some more exposition in the following chapters, or else everything will turn really confusing.
kraqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 16:27   Link #2666
Xarunai
Overlord's little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraqen View Post
Well, you can blame the manga for removing a lot of scenes, since most of them aren't that important. We know that the Death Knight has wiped almost all the soldiers with no effort, as we didn't need the guardians talking about how awesome is Ainzs and how all of them want the Ainz-bowl after he activates his "aura".

But removing the conversation with the village chief does truly affect the pacing of the chapter. Everything related Gazef in this chapter seems rushed. He's like "hey mister, seems that you save this people, that's cool. Well, I don't know you, but you're cool, so I'm leaving to face an enemy that is close for no special reason, so until next time". He just seems to arrive in a moment too close to Ainz's arrival.

Also, by skipping the conversation with the Village Chief, the readers are introduced to a character of a certain "Empire", that must be different of the Kingdom that Gazef seems to serve, but you don't get a gasp of the situation of the war between the two states and why the village is being attacked by them (is the Kingdom losing? Is the village one of the first of a large invasion?).

Hopefully we'll some more exposition in the following chapters, or else everything will turn really confusing.
mhm i kinda agree. Of all the chapters so far this one is the only one who's actively skipping on some key character and plot development. Does it affect the flow of the story? Well, i don't think so. Not if you haven't read LN at any rate. You'll just see stuff happening and assume...stuff's happening : P
Old 2015-02-05, 20:02   Link #2667
DemiDomo
Rest in peace Monty.

Just like out of curiosity, can the mc bone the guardian captain? Since he's a skeleton?
Old 2015-02-05, 20:17   Link #2668
Xarunai
Overlord's little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiDomo View Post
Just like out of curiosity, can the mc bone the guardian captain? Since he's a skeleton?
Old 2015-02-05, 20:26   Link #2669
Ghiest Cid

Quote:
Look at the tags. And read early posts.
Ghiest Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 21:17   Link #2670
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
that joke is 6 month old.
Old 2015-02-05, 21:21   Link #2671
DemiDomo
Rest in peace Monty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that joke is 6 month old.
Q.Q i'm so sorry.
Old 2015-02-06, 07:30   Link #2672
Xarunai
Overlord's little helper

So i'm, like, totally gonna mislead you....

Now if this picture isn't suggestive enough for you...i don't know what is.
Btw i got it from this topic around 30 pages prior : P might wanna browse around and see what you can get.

And if you wanna know context. gahahahaha, you'll have to say please. It's funny as hell.
Old 2015-02-06, 07:32   Link #2673
Namorax

I think it's still in the released chapter as well^^
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 08:15   Link #2674
kraqen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarunai View Post
So i'm, like, totally gonna mislead you....

Now if this picture isn't suggestive enough for you...i don't know what is.
Btw i got it from this topic around 30 pages prior : P might wanna browse around and see what you can get.

And if you wanna know context. gahahahaha, you'll have to say please. It's funny as hell.
If I remember correctly that's form vol. 6 or 7, but I don't know what is exactly going out.
kraqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 08:18   Link #2675
Xarunai
Overlord's little helper

3 people explained it in 3 spoiler tags...eh, i don't remember the page either, probably have it bookmarked somewhere

Just wanted to throw a crumpet at demidomo. : P

#neverlosehopeinbedo
Old 2015-02-06, 08:40   Link #2676
human6861

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraqen View Post
If I remember correctly that's form vol. 6 or 7, but I don't know what is exactly going out.
Vol 8 , Ainz nearly get his virgin take away ... i sure Ainz still a virgin , because he is Wizard .
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 18:29   Link #2677
Draco421

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarunai View Post
ah. lol. The "complete misunderstanding" scene was probably a reference from the ruler of the land manga. Twas a little funny.

Dunno guys. I think, and don't shoot me on this one, but i think this manga isn't exactly catering to us hardcore LN readers. It's obviously even more quirky than the light novel.

The best course would be to take it with a pinch of salt and thank whomever's responsible for bringing overlord awareness to the masses. A non LN reader browsing this manga probably has a more positive feel about it.
I believe you are right, if it wasn't for the first chapter of the manga version i would have never found the LN version
Draco421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 20:39   Link #2678
Xarunai
Overlord's little helper

@draco421

My experience with Maruyama Kagune-sensei's work is pretty much the same xD

Although i knew about overlord beforehand, the manga really raised my appetite for the WN and consequent LN adaptation. I guess everything came full circle
Old 2015-02-07, 01:15   Link #2679
for3ver
The Lost Child

Solution character sheet volume 05

Name: Solution Epsilon
Job: Battle-maid of the great tomb of Nazarick
Residence: A servant room in basement 9
Alignment: Great Evil Karma Value: -400
Racial Level: 不定形の粘液 - level 10 (irregular mucus) furigana read as: Shoggoth (edited. damn you cthulu mythos)
始まりの混沌 - level 10 (origin of chaos) furigana read as: Ubbo-Sathla (edited. damn you cthulu mythos)
Class Level: Assassin - level 2
Poison Mosquito(?) - level 4
Master Assassin - level 1

the rest shouldn't need any tl'ing.. yawn...

Last edited by for3ver; 2015-02-07 at 07:02.
for3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-07, 01:19   Link #2680
travelingbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by for3ver View Post
始まりの混沌 - level 10 (origin of chaos) furigana read as: (? no idea what it is since it's either ウボサスラ or ウポサスラ my scans aren't clear enough, and the word itself doesn't ring any bells.. oh japan...)
Ubbo-Sathla lol
travelingbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, lich, transfer to another world, world domination