Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-07-15, 16:31   Link #21
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Unless I'm missing something here, I don't buy this amnesia excuse. Didn't the revolutionary army get the newspaper notifying the world about Ace's execution in 1 week's time? Wouldn't that have triggered Sabo's memory of Ace to come back well before his death, and thus enabled him to go to Marineford to try and rescue him? Either that newspaper didn't have a picture of Ace to help Sabo regain his memory of him (highly unlikely), or the revolutionary army never got that newspaper at all (also highly unlikely). And you'd think that the revolutionary army and people everywhere would be talking about Ace's execution and the repercussions of the war that would soon happen, so Sabo would definitely be very intrigued as to who the hell this Ace guy everyone keeps going on and on about is and want to find out.
Or Sabo simply didn't read the newspaper himself...
Old 2015-07-15, 16:46   Link #22
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Meh chapter. Felt like it mostly wasted my time with no chapter next week. Not a big fan of Sabo.
Old 2015-07-15, 17:26   Link #23
laughingwalls

I feel like sabo was written into the plot for some reason and not really planned.
I also feel like he is a plot device who basically serve only move plot in manner, because there is no other character oda wants to use to move the plot.

I reread a lot of one piece after marine Ford and it was interesting to me that a large chunk of what happens in one piece is foreshadowed. Jimbei for example is mentioned during arlong arc. The going merry is launched through redline as if it were flying when they first enter grandline. In fact you can see all then major players in the first 700 episodes introduced in the first 125 episodes (23 volumes). Sabo is never once mentioned until after marineford. And the amnesia story is very forced
Old 2015-07-15, 17:34   Link #24
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Meh chapter. Felt like it mostly wasted my time with no chapter next week. Not a big fan of Sabo.
Me too except I have no problem with Sabo. While I'm glad we didn't go too deep into Sabo's backstory, I can agree that having no chapter for next week is a pain. I remember someone saying that Oda tends to take a break for one week within each month and this must be one of those times this month.
Old 2015-07-15, 18:17   Link #25
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingwalls View Post
I feel like sabo was written into the plot for some reason and not really planned.
I also feel like he is a plot device who basically serve only move plot in manner, because there is no other character oda wants to use to move the plot.
For all intents and purposes, Sabo is Ace. He even has the same DF now. It's as if Oda wanted to end Whitebeard's story and changed Ace to be Dragon's right hand man instead. As Zoro noted, they even think the same. That said, I do like his character, I'm not trying to be negative about him. He's just not an original character like you pointed out.
Old 2015-07-15, 18:20   Link #26
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
For all intents and purposes, Sabo is Ace. He even has the same DF now. It's as if Oda wanted to end Whitebeard's story and changed Ace to be Dragon's right hand man instead. As Zoro noted, they even think the same. That said, I do like his character, I'm not trying to be negative about him. He's just not an original character like you pointed out.
Superficially, but no, Sabo is not and will never be Ace. They are two different characters.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2015-07-15, 18:28   Link #27
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Superficially, but no, Sabo is not and will never be Ace. They are two different characters.
I get that they are technically different characters...
Old 2015-07-15, 18:42   Link #28
Kaz_

I really hope that with this useless explanation, we are getting rid of Sabo once and for all.
Hopefully we wont be seeing him and his cool bro-code poses for a while.

I got enough dosage of Sabo-hatred for a year by seeing him single-handedly fight with an Admiral and Yonkou Giant-Captain.
Old 2015-07-15, 21:53   Link #29
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz_ View Post
I really hope that with this useless explanation, we are getting rid of Sabo once and for all.
Hopefully we wont be seeing him and his cool bro-code poses for a while.

I got enough dosage of Sabo-hatred for a year by seeing him single-handedly fight with an Admiral and Yonkou Giant-Captain.
For sure it is not the last we'll be seeing of him. I am thinking the next saga is going to be all out war, Luffy is going to declare against the WG, with him joining forces with the Revolutionaries.
Old 2015-07-15, 23:48   Link #30
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
While I also think that Sabo was kind of retconned into the story, the real question would be: why?

Why is it important, that Luffy has a brother? Did Oda plan something for his endgame, which requires a brother and made it necessary to replace Ace? Then why kill Ace in the first place?
Old 2015-07-15, 23:57   Link #31
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
While I also think that Sabo was kind of retconned into the story, the real question would be: why?

Why is it important, that Luffy has a brother? Did Oda plan something for his endgame, which requires a brother and made it necessary to replace Ace?
While those are good questions, they are impossible to know right now. It seems a lot of posters here don't like Sabo, but I know, for me, it makes One Piece a more interesting story to have a new character who is so closely connected to Luffy out there. Just a random opinion, but I feel like Oda is showing off his retconning ability between Haki and Sabo. He can seem to fit anything into his story and make it work.

Quote:
Then why kill Ace in the first place?
Honestly, it could have just been for something majorly impactful to happen halfway through the story that would usher in the New World.
Old 2015-07-16, 00:19   Link #32
Ultragunner

I have a very strong feeling that Bellamy will be invited to the SH crew
Old 2015-07-16, 00:20   Link #33
BPD Renegade

That cover page.

We didn't really need an entire chapter covering Sabo and this cop-out for why he wasn't at the war. I think most of us had assumed and would have been content with the explanation that he was somewhere else, in addition to a few more pages along the lines of last week's chapter instead of what we ended up getting.

The only things we got out of this chapter were 1) Luffy has a vivre card now, and 2) Sabo can fly on crows. Wonder how the vivre card will come into play later. This may mean that the crew will be splitting up more often in future arcs, and it also allows Luffy to be easily found. With Sabo having a piece of the card, a meeting between Luffy and Dragon could happen in the near(ish) future. I'm talking in an arc or two.
Old 2015-07-16, 05:19   Link #34
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Good chapter. Now we know what happened. But please Oda, give us Team Sanji!
Old 2015-07-16, 10:57   Link #35
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
We didn't really need an entire chapter covering Sabo and this cop-out for why he wasn't at the war.
it's not a cop out. Sabo was introduced in the very next arc after Ace died, so I'm sure Oda had his character in mind before the Marineford Arc and purposely chose not to introduce him prior to that event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Good chapter. Now we know what happened. But please Oda, give us Team Sanji!
I was very surprised that they weren't in this chapter. When I first saw everyone laying around I assumed it was all the SHs and Sabo at first. I'm really curious what is happening over there.
Old 2015-07-16, 11:08   Link #36
necrolyte

One thing that feels really out of place for me is how OP Sabo is. I can somehow understand how some people in One Pieace would be as strong as they are/were from their motivation and exp. like:
1)Ace, he is child of the pirate king + he was raised as an orphan
2)Luffy - raised as orphan too, son of Dragon and grandson of Garp + his "idol" Shanks
3)Law - such a traumatic childhood and then after he saw some hope in Kora he was killed
4)Doflaming - like Law he had some really traumatic experiences as a child and wants to destroy the world or something like that
and many others but for Sabo there is just no real reason to seek power so much So as many other people I think he is a retcon
Old 2015-07-16, 11:27   Link #37
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
One thing that feels really out of place for me is how OP Sabo is. I can somehow understand how some people in One Pieace would be as strong as they are/were from their motivation and exp. like:
2)Luffy - raised as orphan too, son of Dragon and grandson of Garp + his "idol" Shanks
3)Law - such a traumatic childhood and then after he saw some hope in Kora he was killed
4)Doflaming - like Law he had some really traumatic experiences as a child and wants to destroy the world or something like that
and many others but for Sabo there is just no real reason to seek power so much So as many other people I think he is a retcon
Sabo has been with the revolutionaries since he was 10 years old and he has their leader Dragon as his personal mentor (hence his "dragon" moves)
Old 2015-07-16, 12:53   Link #38
Talendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
You really think so? Sabo has one of the most powerful background motivations we have seen. The desire to change the world because of the incredible injustice he has experienced first hands in Goa and by the Tenryūbito. In this very chapter he stated that he was ashamed being born noble. The degree to which he despises the current system was so strong that it even transpired his memory loss (not wanting to go back to his parents no matter what, even if not knowing why).

It does not get much stronger, motivational wise. To me, this is a far stronger motivation than basically anyone on your list.

Ace - wanted to be accepted and find a family.
Luffy - wants freedom.
Law and Doflamingo - want(ed) to see the world burn / hurt the ones responsible for hurting them.

Sabo on the other hand, he did not chose the "easy" route to seek revenge. Instead he decided to change the system.

While I can understand that many people dislike Sabo (and boy, considering his age he certainly does seem OP and out of place power- and rankwise), I feel that his background and motivation are perfectly coherent.
Old 2015-07-16, 13:29   Link #39
necrolyte

^As he said he didn't remember what happened to him before the accident and this is what I mean when I say he don't have a real reason to seek power. The only thing he knew after tenryuubito shot him was that he don't want to go back home not that he desire to change the world. If he remembered I would totally understand but he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talendra View Post
..While I can understand that many people dislike Sabo (and boy, considering his age he certainly does seem OP and out of place power- and rankwise)..
Actually this is the main reason I started to write this comment in the first place . Its not like I dislike him its just that I dislike how he is so OP (he fought in the colosseum, stopped an admiral and then defeated Burgess without blinking an eye).
Old 2015-07-16, 13:51   Link #40
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talendra View Post
Sabo (and boy, considering his age he certainly does seem OP and out of place power- and rankwise), .
One thing to remember... Sabo is 2 years older than Luffy. Where do you think Luffy will be in 2 years when he's Sabo's current age? Luffy will probably be king of the pirates and Zoro who is about the same age will be the world's strongest swordsman. Wanna talk over powered youngsters, you need only look at our protagonists