AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2016-04-12, 16:37   Link #1
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Question Help please.

So I haven`t been able to watch much stuff for the last 2 or 3 years. I was wondering if you could make me some recommendations based on my taste.

I prefer mature and realistic anime. My favorite genres tend to be Sci-fi, psychological, thrillers and mystery but will watch anything as long as it`s good. I tend to dislike childish stuff, ecchi, harems, magical girls, generic shounens or light novel adaptations and cliches.

For me its mostly about the story and character development, original animation is a plus.

Thanks!.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 18:37   Link #2
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
So I haven`t been able to watch much stuff for the last 2 or 3 years. I was wondering if you could make me some recommendations based on my taste.

I prefer mature and realistic anime. My favorite genres tend to be Sci-fi, psychological, thrillers and mystery but will watch anything as long as it`s good. I tend to dislike childish stuff, ecchi, harems, magical girls, generic shounens or light novel adaptations and cliches.

For me its mostly about the story and character development, original animation is a plus.

Thanks!.
May take some looking, but one thing that comes to mind is Magical Girl Madoka Magica. Yes, I know the very title is "Magical Girl" and you just said you hate that. But seriously, this is a series that you'll go in thinking standard magical girl fare and then sucker punch you in the gut, give you a few seconds to catch your breath, then slam you again. Yes, they're called Magical Girls, but seriously the things they go through I can't possibly describe, you'll just have to see it. Fortunately it's on Netflix, so no problem taking a look.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 23:04   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd start with Boku Dake ga Inai Machi ("ERASED").

You should also give Hyouge Mono a try; fansubbed-only, though.

I took a look at Crunchyroll's and Funimation's releases since Winter 2014 to refresh my memory. Here are some worth exploring:
Shirobako
Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers")
Samurai Flamenco
Gin no Saji ("Silver Spoon")
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Kiseijuu ("Parasyte the Maxim")
Log Horizon
Hibike! Euphonium
Gatchaman Crowds and Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Rokka no Yuusha
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Arslan Senki
Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis
Death Parade
Junketsu no Maria

I would also suggest Kill la Kill, but I may have a higher tolerance for fanservice than you. At base it's a satirical look at authoritarianism and regimentation in Japanese culture expressed through a focus on clothing, particularly school uniforms. People tend to love it or hate it.

You might also browse the Choice Awards threads for the past few years.
http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=choice+awards
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 04:44   Link #4
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I`m loving Uchuu no Kyoudai and the new Arslan.
Erased was kinda good, I was liking the mistery, the time travel and the mature subjects but then lost interest because of the kid`s relationships, whining, etc.
About kill la kill it reminded me of gurren lagann which I liked but I guess I just cant stand fan service anymore.
Death Parade I watched the death billiards ova and liked it but just though the anime was pretentious and not interesting enough for me.
I`m a try Madoka next since I have read good reviews but im kinda scared of the whole genre.

BTW just watched the first two episodes of joker game and looks promising.
If you have more suggestions keep em coming and thanks.

Last edited by CeDeR; 2016-04-13 at 04:54.
Old 2016-04-13, 09:39   Link #5
cupumanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Hyouge Mono
Shirobako
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Kiseijuu
Arslan Senki
Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis
Death Parade
Junketsu no Maria
Okay, consider those double-recommended. In addition to those, my anime recommendation from 2012-2016:

Those which are Sci-fi, psychological, thrillers and mystery:
Shinsekai Yori
Fate/Zero
Psycho Pass
Sakasema no Patema
Knights of Sidonia

...and those which are of other genres (but not exactly childish stuff, ecchi, harems, magical girls, generic shounens or light novel adaptations and cliches):
Hyouka
Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui
Uchouten Kazoku
Ping Pong
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Right, you said last 2 to 3 years ago, but since the rest of the people here recommending things much older than that, do you search for older anime as well?

Last edited by cupumanager; 2016-04-14 at 07:29.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 18:06   Link #6
kitten320

Trust me, Madoka breaks Magocal Girl stereotype. Especially after episode 3.

Aoi Bungaku Series - a set of small, dark, philosophical stories. Some better than others.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi - people have mixed opinion on this one so it's up for you to decide. I personally liked it.

Chihayafuru - it's a slice of life/sport/comedy type of series but really good with no harem and over the top jokes. I had no expectations when I watch it and now it's in my top. So if you are up for something more light-hearted but not stereotypical, that's the one.

Fate/Zero - action, philosophical, dark and great visuals to boot.

Ga-Rei: Zero - it kinda jumps between dark and humour, but mostly dark and dramatic. Main theme: Will you kill someone you love because of love?

Ghost Hunt - it has comedy moments but it also is good at building up creepy atmosphere. 1st arc is the weakest but 2ns is real good.

Great Teacher Onizuka - it's a mature comedy with some fan service but covers some serious topics so I would say philosophical and a must watch for everyone.

Hakuouki Reimeiroku - I'll risk suggesting it. It's a prequel to Hakuouki series but I liked it the most out of 3 seasons. It's historical, based around famous Shinsengumi samurai's. Though there are 2 films, alternative version. Apparently better than TV series but I am yet to see them.

Jigoku Shoujo - episodic but covers tons of themes: bullying, cheating, lying and etc.

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu - could work

Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari - this one is unique so I would say try and see. It's counted as horror, the art is pretty creepy.

Monster - a doctor saves a child who later turns out to be a serial killer. Now he feels responsible.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - a guy wakes up with no memories and someone tries to kill him. He is given a choice: be an assassin or die.

Psycho-Pass - futuristic setting. Detective type of series. Season 1 highly recommended. Season 2 on the other hand... not really.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - group of people befriend each other in prison. Series follow their past, present and future both during imprisonment and outside. Real good.

Seirei no Moribito - fantasy, action but very unique. More western like film than anime.

Shiki - thriller with a more traditional approach on vampires. Makes you question who is right and wrong towards the end.

Shingeki no Kyojin - it is shounen but quiet unique and brutal.

Shinsekai yori - philosophical, based on far future where humanity gains super powers.

Stranger: Mukou Hadan - a nice movie with amazing action.

Zetsuen no Tempest
- philosophical type of action with lots of references to Shakespeare.

Hope this helps.
Old 2016-04-13, 21:41   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
First thing that comes to my mind is Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars.

It's rare to get that kind of fun hard but speculative sci-fi.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is another obvious one.

Less obvious would be Bodacious Space Pirates. Definitely a big dose of light-heartedness, but has really good sci-fi written by an actual scientist. (He was told to add high school girls if he wanted it to sell, so he did. But Marika is cool enough I'll forgive her).

Have you watched Neon Genesis Evangelion? Definitely worth watching (the original TV series + End of Evangelion, not the Rebuild movies - those are just okay.)

Last Exile
is a possibility.

Maybe The Melancoloy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if only for the random science factiods, and so you can watch Disappearance.

The second season of Railgun, A Certain Scientific Railgun S would be quite enjoyable for you. The first season will probably be a mixture of enjoyment interspersed with annoyances.

If you'd be willing to consider sports/romance I'd suggest Cross Game and Touch.

I'll also recommend Maison Ikkoku a seinen romance about a young widow. It's probably the most referenced romance anime in existence, and I rank it as the best anime romance ever. It does take a bit of a slow burn approach. I remember the early episodes in particular gave me a lot of warning signs, but by the time I got to the end of the first season I realized that the characters were actually showing real development.

I got into it because I was promised the best ending to a romance ever. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, but I agree, and was completely satisfied. One of the few shows where I simply have no interest in fan fiction or anything like that, it's such a satisfying ending.

I will also second Madaka Magica. Not a magical girl fan myself, watched one episode because I was told there would be flintlocks that shoot lasers, and I thought that was worth one episode.

Subtext was enough to keep me interested enough to watch one more episode.

After episode 3 was committed to watch till the end. I was not disappointed. So many twists and turns. Episode 10 was a shock after thinking I couldn't be shocked anymore.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 08:50   Link #8
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
Okay, consider those double-recommended. In addition to those, my anime recommendation from 2012-2016:

Those which are Sci-fi, psychological, thrillers and mystery:
Shinsekai Yori
Fate/Zero
Psycho Pass
Sakasema no Patema
Knights of Sidonia

...and those which are of other genres (but not exactly childish stuff, ecchi, harems, magical girls, generic shounens or light novel adaptations and cliches):
Hyouka
Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui
Uchouten Kazoku
Ping Pong
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Right, you said last 2 to 3 years ago, but since the rest of the people here recommending things much older than that, do you search for older anime as well?
Yes Itīs ok if you recommend old stuff, I asked for new stuff because I just havenīt been able to keep up and itīs easier whith your help lol.

Shinsekai Yori: Looks promising. Love post-apocalyptic settings.
Fate/Zero: Donīt really like the whole franchise.
Psycho Pass: Iīm big into cyberpunk and I got bored before the end of the first season.
Sakasama no Patema: The synopsis definitely caught my eye.
Knights of Sidonia: Big fan of Tsutomu Nihei and exactly my kind of stuff.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Iīm definitely binge watching Knights of Sidonia. I like the animation they used too, it fits the setting perfectly IMO. If only they would give Blame! a decent anime adaptation or a Scott Ridley movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
First thing that comes to my mind is Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars.

It's rare to get that kind of fun hard but speculative sci-fi.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is another obvious one.

Less obvious would be Bodacious Space Pirates. Definitely a big dose of light-heartedness, but has really good sci-fi written by an actual scientist. (He was told to add high school girls if he wanted it to sell, so he did. But Marika is cool enough I'll forgive her).

Have you watched Neon Genesis Evangelion? Definitely worth watching (the original TV series + End of Evangelion, not the Rebuild movies - those are just okay.)

Last Exile
is a possibility.

Maybe The Melancoloy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if only for the random science factiods, and so you can watch Disappearance.

The second season of Railgun, A Certain Scientific Railgun S would be quite enjoyable for you. The first season will probably be a mixture of enjoyment interspersed with annoyances.

If you'd be willing to consider sports/romance I'd suggest Cross Game and Touch.

I'll also recommend Maison Ikkoku a seinen romance about a young widow. It's probably the most referenced romance anime in existence, and I rank it as the best anime romance ever. It does take a bit of a slow burn approach. I remember the early episodes in particular gave me a lot of warning signs, but by the time I got to the end of the first season I realized that the characters were actually showing real development.

I got into it because I was promised the best ending to a romance ever. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, but I agree, and was completely satisfied. One of the few shows where I simply have no interest in fan fiction or anything like that, it's such a satisfying ending.

I will also second Madaka Magica. Not a magical girl fan myself, watched one episode because I was told there would be flintlocks that shoot lasers, and I thought that was worth one episode.

Subtext was enough to keep me interested enough to watch one more episode.

After episode 3 was committed to watch till the end. I was not disappointed. So many twists and turns. Episode 10 was a shock after thinking I couldn't be shocked anymore.
Cross Game: It was a lot of fun, even if it took a lot of time for the brief romance to kick in. It was fun.
Crest of the Stars: I saw this but never continued with banner of the stars for some reason; and I remember it was quite enjoyable, felt kinda star trekky. Will definitely rewatch the first season and continue.
Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Should i watch the old or new version?
Bodacious Space Pirates: I don`t know the whole high school student and pirate kinda puts me off. Unless she is as cool as Harlock of course.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Good old classic
Last Exile: Loved the steampunk setting, I watched this one a long time ago but I see thereīs Fam, the Silver Wing. Any idea if thatīs any good?
The Melancoloy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Again the high school setting really puts me off, everyone seems to rate this one very high, guess iīll have to give it a try.
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Coud only withstand like 6 episodes of the first season. Not a big fan of shounen these days.
Maison Ikkoku: Rumiko Takahashi, I`ll watch it.

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely got a few great ones for my to watch list. Most of the good stuff seems to be older lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Trust me, Madoka breaks Magocal Girl stereotype. Especially after episode 3.

Aoi Bungaku Series - a set of small, dark, philosophical stories. Some better than others.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi - people have mixed opinion on this one so it's up for you to decide. I personally liked it.

Chihayafuru - it's a slice of life/sport/comedy type of series but really good with no harem and over the top jokes. I had no expectations when I watch it and now it's in my top. So if you are up for something more light-hearted but not stereotypical, that's the one.

Fate/Zero - action, philosophical, dark and great visuals to boot.

Ga-Rei: Zero - it kinda jumps between dark and humour, but mostly dark and dramatic. Main theme: Will you kill someone you love because of love?

Ghost Hunt - it has comedy moments but it also is good at building up creepy atmosphere. 1st arc is the weakest but 2ns is real good.

Great Teacher Onizuka - it's a mature comedy with some fan service but covers some serious topics so I would say philosophical and a must watch for everyone.

Hakuouki Reimeiroku - I'll risk suggesting it. It's a prequel to Hakuouki series but I liked it the most out of 3 seasons. It's historical, based around famous Shinsengumi samurai's. Though there are 2 films, alternative version. Apparently better than TV series but I am yet to see them.

Jigoku Shoujo - episodic but covers tons of themes: bullying, cheating, lying and etc.

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu - could work

Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari - this one is unique so I would say try and see. It's counted as horror, the art is pretty creepy.

Monster - a doctor saves a child who later turns out to be a serial killer. Now he feels responsible.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - a guy wakes up with no memories and someone tries to kill him. He is given a choice: be an assassin or die.

Psycho-Pass - futuristic setting. Detective type of series. Season 1 highly recommended. Season 2 on the other hand... not really.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - group of people befriend each other in prison. Series follow their past, present and future both during imprisonment and outside. Real good.

Seirei no Moribito - fantasy, action but very unique. More western like film than anime.

Shiki - thriller with a more traditional approach on vampires. Makes you question who is right and wrong towards the end.

Shingeki no Kyojin - it is shounen but quiet unique and brutal.

Shinsekai yori - philosophical, based on far future where humanity gains super powers.

Stranger: Mukou Hadan - a nice movie with amazing action.

Zetsuen no Tempest
- philosophical type of action with lots of references to Shakespeare.

Hope this helps.
Aoi Bungaku Series: Loved this one
Chihayafuru: I guess Iīll have to try, another one highly ranked that I īve never watched.
Ga-Rei: Zero: I like gore so I`ll watch it.
Ghost Hunt: Liked this one, too bad it ended after a few arcs.
Great Teacher Onizuka: Old time favorite for sure.
Hakuouki Reimeiroku: Iīll be honest i hated the sequel so Iīll probably skip it but thanks.
Jigoku Shoujo: Watched this back when it came out. It was good but too episodic for several seasons, do you know if it got any better after season 1?
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu: Read this manga back in the day, so I`ll definitely watch.
Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari: Another old time favorite. I love this kind of horror anime with original animation, kind of a precursor in its kind to Mononoke and Kitaro.
Monster: Another old time favorite. Probably the best thriller anime series.
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom: Watched both phantoms, this one was good. Not really my cup of tea but well done and very enjoyable.
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin: I loved this one too. Felt a lot like that old movie Sleepers with the jail setting and the abuse.
Seirei no Moribito: At times it was kinda slow but It made up for it when it counted, definitely one of my favorite fantasy animes.
Shiki: I liked it, the character design was fun but felt very lighthearted to be honest. The mystery was solved right away and it wasnīt scary at all.
Shingeki no Kyojin: Waiting for next season. Top notch action for sure.
Stranger: Mukou Hadan: Liked it very much, excellent samurai action anime film.
Zetsuen no Tempest: This one I tried to watch but just didnīt enjoy it.

Most of the stuff you recommended I rank very highly, so I will definitely check the ones Iīm missing and I appreciate the time. Thanks you very much.

Last edited by CeDeR; 2016-04-14 at 09:15.
Old 2016-04-14, 09:11   Link #9
cupumanager

Quote:
Yes Itīs ok if you recommend old stuff, I asked for new stuff because I just havenīt been able to keep up and itīs easier whith your help lol.

Knights of Sidonia: Big fan of Tsutomu Nihei and exactly my kind of stuff.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Iīm definitely binge watching Knights of Sidonia. I like the animation they used too, it fits the setting perfectly IMO. If only they would give Blame! a decent anime adaptation or a Scott Ridley movie
To be honest, in Knights of Sidonia Nihei's trying to be rather more accessible to the mainstream...which is not his strong points. So, I warn you, the dense MC ended up having an harem with all its cliche. I consider KoS one of his weakest for that. But of course, being Nihei, the harem members are nowhere normal...

By the way, BLAME is a movie in Sidonia, and they watch it. Its hinted BLAME gonna be animated.

Quote:
Fam, the Silver Wing. Any idea if thatīs any good?
No.

Okay, older stuffs:
Planetes - The life of Space Garbagemen. It changes in the second half, from both the tone of the first, and the manga. One of my favorite Sci-Fi manga.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Again, recommended. Watch it 3 or 4 episode at a time.
Steins; Gate - It doesn't really kicked up until halfway, gotta patient for a while.
Hyouge Mono - Serious discussions about the essence of art and aesthethics, and Sengoku Jidai political intrigues...made hilarious.
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei - Groundhog day(no, its not just a day) time loop(no, its interconnected paralel universe time loop). Payoff are also quite late in the back
Kuchuu Buranko - Okay, this one got unique art and animations, for a show about an eccentric psychiatrist and his patients...
Welcome to the NHK - Depression and loneliness, seen from the life of a delusional hikkikomori and people around him
Kino no Tabi Strings of Aesops and parables made into a episodical anime about a girl wandering a world with her talking bike.

Ah, which iterations of Ghost in The Shell you watched?

Last edited by cupumanager; 2016-04-14 at 10:05.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 10:56   Link #10
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
To be honest, in Knights of Sidonia Nihei's trying to be rather more accessible to the mainstream...which is not his strong points. So, I warn you, the dense MC ended up having an harem with all its cliche. I consider KoS one of his weakest for that. But of course, being Nihei, the harem members are nowhere normal...

By the way, BLAME is a movie in Sidonia, and they watch it. Its hinted BLAME gonna be animated.

No.

Okay, older stuffs:
Planetes - The life of Space Garbagemen. It changes in the second half, from both the tone of the first, and the manga. One of my favorite Sci-Fi manga.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Again, recommended. Watch it 3 or 4 episode at a time.
Steins; Gate - It doesn't really kicked up until halfway, gotta patient for a while.
Hyouge Mono - Serious discussions about the essence of art and aesthethics, and Sengoku Jidai political intrigues...made hilarious.
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei - Groundhog day(no, its not just a day) time loop(no, its interconnected paralel universe time loop). Payoff are also quite late in the back
Kuchuu Buranko - Okay, this one got unique art and animations, for a show about an eccentric psychiatrist and his patients...
Welcome to the NHK - Depression and loneliness, seen from the life of a delusional hikkikomori and people around him
Kino no Tabi Strings of Aesops and parables made into a episodical anime about a girl wandering a world with her talking bike.

Ah, which iterations of Ghost in The Shell you watched?
Finished the first season of KoS and you were right. A bit dissapointed but will keep watching for sure, oh well.

Planetes: This one has been escaping me for a long time, probably the next thing Iīll watch.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Mustering some courage to watch.
Steins; Gate: It was ok, the time travel subject was quite refreshing, but at the end I felt it was very overrated. Mad scientist got old at the first episode. Hiouin Kyouma or whatever, it was so irritating that I can remember his selfgiven name.
Hyouge Mono: Definitely a one of a kind anime and will have to watch for sure. Always up for some good comedy.
Kuchuu Buranko: Loved this one. Iīm a psychologist so it was interesting to say the least, and the animation was very original and trippy.
Ghost in The Shell: Iīve watched, read everything Gits related. Except for the tachikoma days stuff. My favorite anime of all time is without a doubt the first Gits movie. That was glorious, still is.
Welcome to the NHK: Never watched this one, the whole otaku thing puts me off, I just get very exasperated by this type of characters lol, is it really worth it?
Kino no Tabi: Absolutely loved this one. It was kind of episodic but played well. Loved Kino as a character, always difficult to find this type of true neutral characters, this anime reminds me of Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou a bit. BTW you shouldnīt reveal the character sex to new watchers lol

Last edited by CeDeR; 2016-04-14 at 12:34.
Old 2016-04-14, 16:29   Link #11
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'll second Patema Inverted, a fascinating movie.

I'm not completely sure, but you might consider looking at Erin (Beast Player Erin). It's a long series, but a beautiful one with a rather unique art style. It at first is dealing with a ten-year-old girl, but it follows her as she grows up in a nation gradually beginning to come apart at the seams, and finding herself more and more involved in it while applying her skills with a race of majestic beasts that are viewed as near sacred (and that some want militarized like the beasts her mother worked with).

More tentative, but you may consider taking a look at Gosick. That series has a rather interesting mystery to it.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 16:30   Link #12
kitten320

Original Hakuoki series focus too much on Chizuru who is pretty much pointless. She does not exist in prequel what instantly makes it better. But it is up to you.

I still have to watch last season of Jigoku Shoujo but yeh, too episodic for my tastes too. I would say only the last couple of episodes are good when there is actual linear story.

Try giving Chihayafuru several episode since the first 3-4 episodes go into flashback. I loved those but I know that some people didn't but loved the rest.

I don't think Shiki tried being mysterious, it was more about observing the mess happening and then it being solved.
Old 2016-04-14, 17:04   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kuwashima Houko was given nothing to do in Hakuoki which led to my dropping it. Listen to her stellar performance as Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monogatari instead.

That's actually my same complaint about Madoka, that Aoi Yuuki's talents weren't put to better use. Regardless I watched it religiously every week. Speaking of Aoi, if you've never seen Kurenai, an unusual action drama with slice-of-life and comedy elements, you should give that a try. It was her first major role, and she was wonderful. Working opposite Sawashiro Miyuki certainly helped. Aoi did some great work this year in ERASED and Rokka no Yuusha.

The childhood flashbacks in Chihayafuru put me off a bit at first as well. It gets much more compelling when they get back to high school.

If we're rolling out suggestions from any time frame, here are two not yet mentioned:

Dennou Coil - an extraordinary story about children who inhabit a virtual reality visible only with special glasses; Iso Mitsuo worked for seven years to get this produced. Now he's hardly visible within the industry. Such a shame.

Oh! Edo Rocket - Based on a stage play by the screenwriter for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, Nakashima Kazuki, Rocket satirizes political and artistic repression with a wacky, sci-fi version of 1843 Edo under the Tenpou Reforms. Some years later Okada Mari picked up the same theme and created the off-the-wall idol show AKB0048. The last part of Rocket touches on the Cold War themes of deterrence and mutual assured destruction.

Every one of those ladies in my signature points to a show I would recommend.

Arslan Senki will return this summer, by the way.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-04-14 at 17:27.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 17:43   Link #14
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I'll second Patema Inverted, a fascinating movie.

I'm not completely sure, but you might consider looking at Erin (Beast Player Erin). It's a long series, but a beautiful one with a rather unique art style. It at first is dealing with a ten-year-old girl, but it follows her as she grows up in a nation gradually beginning to come apart at the seams, and finding herself more and more involved in it while applying her skills with a race of majestic beasts that are viewed as near sacred (and that some want militarized like the beasts her mother worked with).

More tentative, but you may consider taking a look at Gosick. That series has a rather interesting mystery to it.
Iīve seen Kemono no souja Erin, It was pretty good if too lighthearted for my taste.
And I see the violence tag on Gosick on Anime-Planet so I will probably watch, as I love me some of the old ultraviolence.
Old 2016-04-14, 17:53   Link #15
Kurohane

Gatchaman Crowds: A parady on the Super Sentai genre, goes into themes like the need for heroes and sociology. First season was pretty good; second season was amazing.
Old 2016-04-14, 18:54   Link #16
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Gatchaman Crowds: A parady on the Super Sentai genre, goes into themes like the need for heroes and sociology. First season was pretty good; second season was amazing.
Thank you, I already had that one on my list. Another reason to watch it. I just hope it isnīt another Samurai Flamenco, that was... weird and got weirder until it was too much.
Old 2016-04-16, 23:25   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

Cross Game: It was a lot of fun, even if it took a lot of time for the brief romance to kick in. It was fun.
Crest of the Stars: I saw this but never continued with banner of the stars for some reason; and I remember it was quite enjoyable, felt kinda star trekky. Will definitely rewatch the first season and continue.
Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Should i watch the old or new version?
Bodacious Space Pirates: I don`t know the whole high school student and pirate kinda puts me off. Unless she is as cool as Harlock of course.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Good old classic
Last Exile: Loved the steampunk setting, I watched this one a long time ago but I see thereīs Fam, the Silver Wing. Any idea if thatīs any good?
The Melancoloy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Again the high school setting really puts me off, everyone seems to rate this one very high, guess iīll have to give it a try.
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Coud only withstand like 6 episodes of the first season. Not a big fan of shounen these days.
Maison Ikkoku: Rumiko Takahashi, I`ll watch it.

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely got a few great ones for my to watch list. Most of the good stuff seems to be older lol

Cross Game
: Then you might want to consider Touch.
Crest of the Stars: Banner of the Stars is a bit less mixed. The Banner I is very space combat focused (interspersed with awkward dinner parties). Banner II is pretty good, focused on the political dimension of conquering. Banner III finally gives us some (understated) romance.
Space Battleship Yamato 2199: New version. The old will always have a special place in my heart (first anime ever watched), but the animation really shows it's age, and the pacing is better in the new one.
Bodacious Space Pirates: Eh... she's pretty cool. Hard to surpass Harlock though. Also, technically she's a privateer not a pirate. (Seems to have vague references to Washington's privateer fleet during the American Revolution). Like I said the plot is slow paced and trails off at the end. But if you like more technologically realistic sci-fi, this is a decent one. And the characters are quite fun.
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing. Ehh... haven't watched, mainly because I heard it was... not as good as the original.
The Melancoloy of Haruhi Suzumiya: It a genre buster. For the original experience watch in the broadcast order (it was aired out of order deliberately). To follow the plot better I recommend DVD order, starting with Episode 00.
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Then skip the first season and go directly to season two. After 6 episodes you have enough background that you will not be lost in season two, and it is far far superior in every way. You will like season two. I has an incredible fight scene. It also has the single best plot line (Sister's Arc) in the entire series. Seriously, it's a really good and mature look at what cloning really is about. Never seen a sci-fi before that handled cloning as well as Railgun does.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote