AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-06-13, 15:41   Link #1
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Question The "filler" parts of full OP/ED songs.

I'm usually disappointed when I get the full versions of OP/ED songs. I'm not sure if this is common in MOST anime OP/ED full versions, but in the ones I've heard, there's usually a part in the song which is TOTALLY different from the rest of the tune. For an example of this listen to the Yamibou opening tune, or maybe even D-Technolife in Bleach. The filler part usually sounds awful, from my experience.

Less annoying is when they rearrange the song completely, so that the bit you enjoyed from the short anime OP isn't in the song. i.e. Disillusion full version.

Anyone experienced this? Why do you think they do this? Perhaps it is culture related?

Or I'm probably over generalising, and this isn't really common at all.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 19:51   Link #2
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
It's the generally the bridge, following the common scheme of "intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-outro" for pop songs. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it... sucks.
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 09:30   Link #3
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Well, I never bought any OP/ED songs, except Higurashi and YumeTsukai (both OPs), I just got this week-end. I'm not disappointed at all. I'm happy it lasts longer.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 10:23   Link #4
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
I'm usually disappointed when I get the full versions of OP/ED songs. I'm not sure if this is common in MOST anime OP/ED full versions, but in the ones I've heard, there's usually a part in the song which is TOTALLY different from the rest of the tune. For an example of this listen to the Yamibou opening tune, or maybe even D-Technolife in Bleach. The filler part usually sounds awful, from my experience.

Less annoying is when they rearrange the song completely, so that the bit you enjoyed from the short anime OP isn't in the song. i.e. Disillusion full version.

Anyone experienced this? Why do you think they do this? Perhaps it is culture related?

Or I'm probably over generalising, and this isn't really common at all.
Oh it's common... well, I wouldn't say there was a 'filler bit', but rather everything after the TV-size bit generally feels like filler, and in my experience this is the norm too. I'm pretty sure it's to do with how many of these songs are composed - they do the bit you're going to hear THEN add to the song, which usually involves the music being repeated a few times with different lyrics and a random guitar solo. There are exceptions, of course, but this seems to happen an awful lot... sometimes the join is so obvious it hurts, sometimes you get used to it, sometimes you never listen to the song again. It doesn't matter to the creators, some people'll buy it anyway.

Why, then, is disillusion different? Because that wasn't how it was composed, it's based off the opening track from the game/visual novel version, which was longer in video form and had an even longer full version, then they had to create the TV-size version from *that*. Same reason the the full versions of songs like the Air TV OP/ED sound good.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 04:45   Link #5
Chiisa
Love target... LOCK ON!

Yeah, I get a bit dissappointed by it too.
Like, you know how in Ouran High School Host Club before they play the ending theme song they have that little melody?
I was really hoping for that in the full version but alas it didn't happen.

Longer bridges are annoying too. Especially when you're singing Karaoke. It makes you sound like a dork D:
Chiisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 05:18   Link #6
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
Why, then, is disillusion different?
The full disillusion has this as the main chorus:
dareka wo ate ni shite mo
motomeru mono ja nai no dakara
hontou no jibun wa koko ni irutte
me wo tojite inaide

as opposed to this:
dare ka no tame ni ikite
kono toki ga subete de ii deshou
misekake no jibun wa sotto sutete
tada ari no mama de

Even though the latter DOES appear in the song towards the end, it sounds slightly different (the backing track [is at the right term] is different). I would have preferred if "tame ni ikite" was the main chorus, and "konde ike yoru he" was before it like the TV version.

If you understand what I mean.
Old 2006-06-21, 05:47   Link #7
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Scribble - Nono, it was a rhetorical question that led on to my next bit >_>
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 13:16   Link #8
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiisa
Longer bridges are annoying too. Especially when you're singing Karaoke. It makes you sound like a dork D:
I loooooove sounding like a dork in karaoke.

The trickiest part is indeed when you only heard the TV version. I fall for it every time. lol.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 14:17   Link #9
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
Scribble - Nono, it was a rhetorical question that led on to my next bit >_>
LOL. How embarassing. I simply misread what you said....
Old 2006-06-21, 14:22   Link #10
gin-san
Outcast Freelancer...

I generally am on the other end of the stick, as I prefer the full versions of anime OPs/EDs. True, that most of them seemingly have a part where it's just nothing music or something similar, but then, most other English songs have that too.

And anyway, if we only had TV versions, it wouldn't be much fun. Who'd want to listen to just a plain 1 minute of music?

I know I don't...
gin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 19:56   Link #11
Chiisa
Love target... LOCK ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
I loooooove sounding like a dork in karaoke.

The trickiest part is indeed when you only heard the TV version. I fall for it every time. lol.
Definately. I can leave out entire lines at some points ^^;;
Chiisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 20:04   Link #12
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to Prodigious Send a message via MSN to Prodigious Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigious
It's only natural that the full song seems lackluster seeing as the OP/EDs are usually the most visceral aspects of the song with all the unmemorable parts cut out. It's the "turn it up" effect. You know, when you're listening to a song and you go "oh this is my favorite part" and you turn up the volume really loud. It's not that the other parts of the song are bad, just that certain particular moments are more exciting and enjoyable.

Obviously, they aren't going to play the full song or leave the best parts out and put in the average moments in the anime.

It's very rare for a song to keep a powerful effect throughout every part, including the bridge and choruses. There are slow moments in every song from every culture and genre, you just don't notice it as much because you usually aren't just listening to the best parts over and over again.

I will say though that there are times when OPs and EDs are remixed and do have a superior sound. It's a bit disappointing when the full version actually sounds different during the parts that were in the anime. What a coincidence, I was going to point out Valdra's example. It's a minor thing, but that single changed verse in Disillusion really irks me. The full version just doesn't jive as well when it's at the climax because of that change out of lines.

Anyway, imo, a really good song is one which is more enjoyable in it's full version that the TV size counterpart. For me it's kind of rare but there are some gems out there.
Prodigious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 16:08   Link #13
El_Capitano

I was disappointed with the full version of red friction - MELL (OP Black lagoon)

I just doesn't sound right in comparison with the Tv-version

Last edited by El_Capitano; 2006-07-03 at 05:42.
El_Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 11:47   Link #14
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
I'm generally satisfied when I hear the full version of an OP/ED. Sometimes the extra parts do sounds out of place and ruin the song a little, but for the most part I still like the full versions. Even if I'm disappointed, at least the curiosity over how this or that OP/ED sounds completed is satisfied. Usually, I actually end up liking the full versions better than TV size.
Ashi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 12:43   Link #15
Marvel
Demon-Fox Inside©

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitano
I was disappointed with the full version of red friction - MELL (OP Black lagoon)

I just doesn't sound right in comparison with the Tv-version

Funny, I like the Full version more than the OP version.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote