Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-18, 21:36   Link #1
sanghyun1990
상현

mech or giant robot

I am looking for a good mech or giant robot anime. I watched Gundam, most of the Brave Saga, Evangelion, Fafner, Fmp.
Old 2006-07-18, 22:07   Link #2
YoshiZumi
Translator for Ayu

Send a message via AIM to YoshiZumi
Eureka 7
Nadesico
Gunbuster
Escaflowne
Macross
Vandread
Giant Robo
(haven't seen this one but it's exactly as the name suggests)
Old 2006-07-18, 22:29   Link #3
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Brave Saga's GaoGaiGar and GGG FINAL.
Rahxephon
Ninja Robots Tobikage
Dancougar
G.E.A.R Senshi Dendoh
Voltes V
Combattler V
Byston's Well ; Dunbine, Wings of Rean, etc
Old 2006-07-18, 22:43   Link #4
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshiZumi
Eureka 7
Nadesico
Gunbuster
Escaflowne
Macross
Vandread
Giant Robo
(haven't seen this one but it's exactly as the name suggests)
Definitely Visions of Escaflowne and Macross. The former can be considered one of the best anime out there and the latter is a classic
Old 2006-07-18, 23:21   Link #5
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

I'm guessing you've already seen GaoGaiGar:
  • Shin Getter Robo: Armageddon
  • Gun X Sword
  • Gunbuster
Old 2006-07-19, 04:06   Link #6
Budweineken
Crap

Blue Gender has been my favorite mecha anime.
Old 2006-07-19, 05:42   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Just repeating some to further assure you these are great mecha anime:

Gaogaigar/ FINAL
Nadesico
Vandread
Eureka 7
Top Wo Nerae! 1 and 2, or known as Gunbuster and Diebuster.

I would encourage you to watch Macross, but you would have to watch a whole bunch of earlier series to get the story.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-07-19, 19:18   Link #8
Aeris DJ
エルフ

I see many have mentioned several series, but haven't described many of them. In my personal opinion, if you liked Eva you will like Rahxephon, but please try not comparing too much, enjoy the series. Escaflowne (one of my fave animes) is really addictive, but it's more in the romance/fantasy area (besides mechs that is). Old school macross is a must, but if you want something with top CG you could try macross zero. Nadesico is also excellent, with the difference that it has more funny elements than the previous series stated. I hope this helps.

You don't say which gundam series you have seen (Seed, Seed Destiny, X, Wing, etc...) so I can't tell exactly what type of mecha anime you would appreciate more.
Old 2006-07-19, 23:36   Link #9
Omniscient

ZEGAPAIN is my current favorite mecha series, but that's partially because of the lack of other series of the genre that are currently airing in Japan.
Old 2006-07-20, 00:28   Link #10
Seyluun

The big O. While the focus isn't really on the Mech battles, it's definitely a must-watch show.
Old 2006-07-20, 00:57   Link #11
domino
デレデレ

I don't really like mech shows but Escaflowne and Eureka 7 were amazing. Definately my top recommendations ~
Old 2006-07-22, 04:05   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I should just make all my suggestions text-files I guess ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness from a few weeks ago
Well this is sort of my area of expertise so some of this should help...Also if you don't know any mecha you ain't been looking...I look for a new one almost every month...

Eureka SeveN (The kid pilot makes you wanna punch your screen because of his over the top emo-ness at times, but the anime focuses more on interpersonal relationships between people than mecha battling, but when there is fighting it is almost always superb, sometimes I wish it was just a superficial type of show since the action is so good...It also has a sense of style to it in terms of character outfits, pop culture, and vibrant color schemes [kinda like a BLEACH]...I'm currently on ep 46 outta 50)

GunxSword (Really starts off terrific in the first batch of eps, but gradually becomes a pretty predictable story that kinda doesn't meet the expectations of how the series started...I'm kinda torn on this series because it was so impressive early on, but the mecha-action which is quite unique and creative kept me watching...The characters are OK, but I found the main villains to be pretentious at best...It's your basic obnoxious tuff-guy travels with loli girl on new adventure..It has some great moments despite it's so-so ending, you should try it out)...

Overman King Gainer (Imagine a gundam that looks like a white jamaican robot XD...made by the creator of Gundam [Tomino] this series shows some visual similarities to Turn-A Gundam in-terms of it's strange MS designs and action sequences [the DOMINATOR is such an odd yet awesome suit], however unlike most Tomino shows that are heavily character based and unapolagetic in killing characters, Gainer is the first show I've seen from him that actually examines the mecha more than the characters....It is a bit more action-packed than his other series aswell...It's just a fun series IMO that won't make you think too hard and has loads of action)

The Mars Daybreak (I'm only on ep 14, but this show is a must-see...Visually it is just a treat to watch with it's vibrant colors and clean-looking designs...So far the level of animation is so superb every episode [the DVD eps just look amazing IMO]...In this series the mecha are all water-based as habitation on Mars yeilds almost no land...the story follows a petty theif turned Pirate named Ghram who Gundamjacks an awesome suit and teams up with a submarine full of rouge Pirates and from that action ensues...Very creative action sequences that just look real and visually pleasing...So far no Kira-like Pwnage in this series)

GODANNAR (Imagine ol'skool looking giant Robo battles drawn new skool style with great action and unlimited fanservice toward the female characters...Don't think too hard while watching, just enjoy the "BOING-BOING" fanservice and obtuse action...)

GunParade March (Very disturbing mecha anime in the mold of a NGE in-terms of bloody-action sequences and pathos...Some of it is sickening if not brilliant...Keeps you with that $hitty "end of the world" type feeling in your stomach all series)

Fafner (This would be GSD in a whole nother universe with all the same characters only done well with better animation, use of CG, and almost no stock-footage...Not particularily superior in this genre, but action-packed and once again it is what GSD characters would look like if production wasn't rushed because the characters are drawn by the same artist as SEED and GSD making them better-looking, more consistent clones of almost every CE character....Golden monsters who look like egyptain spirits or something IMO fight kids who use mobile suits called Fafners)

Some other mecha anime I found good that you are probably familiar with but I am too lazy to write summaries for:

Vision of Escaflowne (mecha meets King Arthur in a medieval type of world)
Full Metal Panic and FMP TSR
Vandred

Big-O (If Batman the animated series was a mecha story this would be it)
Martian Successor Nadesico
Rahxephon
IGPX (mecha-racing)
Samurai 7 (Human Samurai's fight giant mecha)
Zone of Enders
Wings of Rean
(Ova series by Tomino that so far is awesome with crazy mecha designs)

All these series I've mentioned are fairly new using CG animation in-addition, no ol'skool animation like Getter Robo (which was good BTW)...In addition(fortunatley) almost none of them suffer from anything close to GSD god-moding...

Well I just wrote alot of $hit so I expect some rep^^...
Old 2006-07-22, 07:25   Link #13
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid are all you need.
Old 2006-07-24, 15:00   Link #14
Lionessmon

Zoids is a good anime
Old 2006-07-24, 16:08   Link #15
mit7059

zoids is kinda childish, and the dvds only have dubs. A really good but overlooked mech anime is Patlabor. Its kinda old (1989) and wasn't a really high budget to begin with, but it is an amazing series becasue it makes you believe that these mechs are possible. It was made by the same director as Ghost in the Shell if you need credibility. It focuses on the pilots instead of the battles, and it cleared the way for shows like evangelion and euruka 7 that do the same. Its of decent length(47 eps) and there are three feature movies that go with it. It's got a dub but it isn't that great. I suggest either buying it on ebay or getting it off netflix or something as its on something like 13 disks.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-07-25, 22:02   Link #16
sanghyun1990
상현

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
zoids is kinda childish, and the dvds only have dubs. A really good but overlooked mech anime is Patlabor. Its kinda old (1989) and wasn't a really high budget to begin with, but it is an amazing series becasue it makes you believe that these mechs are possible. It was made by the same director as Ghost in the Shell if you need credibility. It focuses on the pilots instead of the battles, and it cleared the way for shows like evangelion and euruka 7 that do the same. Its of decent length(47 eps) and there are three feature movies that go with it. It's got a dub but it isn't that great. I suggest either buying it on ebay or getting it off netflix or something as its on something like 13 disks.
I think I saw Patlabor long time ago, I think it was police that uses mech. Anyway to everyone thanks for all the list of anime.
Old 2006-09-09, 05:24   Link #17
Darkguyver_3

Gaogaigar is best out big rob anime
Old 2006-09-09, 05:59   Link #18
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

I finished watching Eureka 7 last night and I have to say Was well worth it. Although the story tends off towards romance, it still is about Mecha all the way to the end. Very enjoyable show and I would advise it to anyone. It is long one.....50 Eps, for such a meanieal story but it works, and thats the main thing. About some boy who joins a crew of ex-military soilders who fight against the military. He meets a girl called Eureka, and then the story gets complicated

EVA - One of my altime favourites, based on a book from the bible (havnt read it myself but i think someone said before) about humanity vs alien life forms. Humanity take form in the agency NERV and 3 children are chosen to pilot the mecha called Eva, who fight the "angels" and save the world.

I notice no one has mentioned Aquarion. story is of this group of children who fight against these other beings (i guerss u can call them that) who steal people away. They fight them in a 3-part machine called Aquarion, and 3 pilots fuse together and act as the head arms and legs, three different teams are chosen, because there are three different forms of Aquarion, and each has its own abilities. Main char is a guy who only joined the Aquarion squad to get back his "family" which comprises of the other homeless kids from his homeworld....who turns out has a history with other members, only its a 10,000 yr ago history.

I thought this show was alright, although the fusion scenes were a bit misleading to say the least. I thought I was watching hentai when it 1st happened......but anyway, and later on a discussion between two of the members is also very misleading and i wasnt too sure how to take it.
Old 2006-09-09, 10:15   Link #19
Lotiman

Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny is my favourite mech or giant robot anime.
Full Metal Panic is also not bad.
Old 2006-09-11, 01:02   Link #20
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Sousei no Aquarion <<< this is a must