Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-27, 17:43   Link #1141
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
I think the massacre was rather kind (all things considered). Brutal would have been (assuming this was possible) Silence + Paralysis. That way they would have been fully aware that they were being slaughtered but unable to do anything about it.

I do wonder about the gate spell, the actual size of the gate and how long it remains open (given how little water filled the area). I'm assuming you can only enter/exit the gate in one direction (think 'Stargates', from Stargate series). It does lead to some interesting following though, such as what would happen if you hooked up a gate towards the core of a planet (assuming molten rock/metal) or vacuum of space (and then by extension why not just hook it up to a blackhole, assuming those things exist). Of course if that was to happened you'd have to hope you could 'remotely' open a gate, but I'm assuming you need to be holding a scroll in this world/setting.
The problem with those is that the molten rock would fry you as well, and the vacuum and especially the black hole would be even worse.
Old 2018-10-27, 17:44   Link #1142
Twi

I got my review and recap done. In general they rushed three chapters and so some of the inner dialogue and weight got carved out of it as a result. Here's the usual list:

Spoiler:
Old 2018-10-27, 18:25   Link #1143
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Casting a spell or a miracle takes a toll on the spellcaster. Regardless if the spell require a catalyst or not, each spell "erodes" the very soul of the caster so they have to rest before using them again. As Anh Minh stated, it depends of the actual spell (where in a real d&d campaign, spells have a very static number of slot requirement), so they might cast more if the spell is is less demanding.

However, in Priestess' case, she basically overdid it and went into a "overcast" situation: regardless of the miracle she performed, her limit is 3 per day, and that fourth miracle could connect her to the heavens so her goddess would respond to her prayer, but she was pretty much near death as the narrative describes it as "[it] effaced her own soul, and now her face was pale, and she was impossibly cold".
Very interesting. Appreciate further clarifications(long as its not spoiler territory of course =03). I was unaware there was so much detail in this world's "system". Its a shame that such information get lost in the transition, and while that doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the series, it certainly deprives you of the true depth of the series =0(.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 18:37   Link #1144
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
The problem with those is that the molten rock would fry you as well, and the vacuum and especially the black hole would be even worse.
As much logic as you can apply to a fantasy world with magic, I don't see why that would be an issue if the gate was uni directional. Assuming the scroll casts a gate spell which exists adjacent to the caster in some form (rather than transforming the scroll into the gate).

The act of creating a gate anywhere should fundamentally result in some sort of pressure differential regardless of gate locations (if you were to apply real-world logic) unless you had two perfectly controlled environments to anchor the end points of a gate.
Old 2018-10-27, 19:10   Link #1145
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
I am surprised at how sheltered Elf ranger seems to be. She is over 2000 years old, a Ranger, an adventurer yet this Goblin "adventurer" seems to have really shaken her, make her cry. It was a stark contrast to the dwarf or Lizard, heck, even our little Priestess kept herself more together. You would expect in 2000 years and in a business like this she would have come across quite some bloody and gory stuff already.

That said, the Welcome Home ending after the ED was very healing. Good to know Goblin Slayer has an actual home to return to and not just lives somewhere in an inn or camp because he has nobody he cares about anymore.
It's a testament to the malice that separates goblins from their dark brethren. Dragons, evil sorcerers, and even this ogre would just kill/eat/sacrifice their enemies, but only goblins would make sport of them like they did with the elf here.
Old 2018-10-27, 19:11   Link #1146
Itlandm
Porcupine

--Elf girl sounds like a player character, thinking that adventures should be fun and exciting.

--I am unsure whether this concludes GS' adventures with the multiracial team? From the musical part I thought they would be a team going forward, but it looks like this is it and he's going home?
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 19:12   Link #1147
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
I think the massacre was rather kind (all things considered). Brutal would have been (assuming this was possible) Silence + Paralysis. That way they would have been fully aware that they were being slaughtered but unable to do anything about it.

I do wonder about the gate spell, the actual size of the gate and how long it remains open (given how little water filled the area). I'm assuming you can only enter/exit the gate in one direction (think 'Stargates', from Stargate series). It does lead to some interesting following though, such as what would happen if you hooked up a gate towards the core of a planet (assuming molten rock/metal) or vacuum of space (and then by extension why not just hook it up to a blackhole, assuming those things exist). Of course if that was to happened you'd have to hope you could 'remotely' open a gate, but I'm assuming you need to be holding a scroll in this world/setting.
If I remember correctly, scrolls activate when they are opened. This is why they are so dangerous when someone finds them, because anyone can activate them at any time, even by accident. Not only that, but you'd need magic to figure out what kind of spell it had in the first place, since opening to read isn't even an option.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 19:13   Link #1148
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
--Elf girl sounds like a player character, thinking that adventures should be fun and exciting.

--I am unsure whether this concludes GS' adventures with the multiracial team? From the musical part I thought they would be a team going forward, but it looks like this is it and he's going home?
Judging by HEA's elf's words and the opening, this isn't the last we'll see of them. So at the rate we're going it seems well cover 2 volumes. Pretty small all things considered but anything more than 1 is fine.
Old 2018-10-27, 19:18   Link #1149
Random14

This was one of my favorite chapters as we see just how crazy prepared Goblin Slayer is. Carrying around something like a medieval fantasy water cannon in that bag of his. I especially like the part where the ogre realizes that this random adventurer was planning to use that secret weapon on mere goblins (not like monsters give goblins any respect either). And Goblin Slayer always has good oneliners.

I wish the fight animation had been a bit better, like stone blast didn’t look that impressive, but they got the general idea across- that they were in big trouble. Even blinding the ogre barely slowed him down for a minute, and Priestess couldn’t block another fireball. Still the silver ones put up a fight at least. High Elf Archer is definitely skilled, but most people would be... put off by Goblin Slayer’s tactics. At least they took out plenty of goblins, an ogre and saved someone. Scary to think High Elf Archer could end up like that with some bad luck.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 19:21   Link #1150
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
It's a testament to the malice that separates goblins from their dark brethren. Dragons, evil sorcerers, and even this ogre would just kill/eat/sacrifice their enemies, but only goblins would make sport of them like they did with the elf here.
The Ogre said he would make the girls his playthings though, and use them to breed more goblins. He was as bad as they are.
Old 2018-10-27, 19:24   Link #1151
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 4:

Ogre lost. Goblin Slayer just watered him to death.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 19:29   Link #1152
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post

She also said "That's what my adventures are like", implying her adventures are fun and exciting not just supposed be. Experiencing GS way of doing stuff, she concluded it's not right way to live and want teach him enjoy his life more instead.

Do you think she is wrong?
Old 2018-10-27, 20:14   Link #1153
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Ogre sure are powerful in this world. Not only they are by default mages, they also have fast healing ability (which is something Trolls have usually). And apparently they also have slashing resistance?

The battle was cool, but I would have preferred if the group efforts were at least a bit more effective. It was a lopsided fight until GS used his trump card, which feels like a case where an adventuring party wins because of a powerful item they were never supposed to have at their level, or because of an exploitation of rules.

Something very similar happened in Grimgar, I'm not really a fan of that.

By the way I've found it quite amusing how the lizardman invokes dinosaur names for his incantations.

The Ogre using Latin words doesn't really surprise anyone anymore though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
She also said "That's what my adventures are like", implying her adventures are fun and exciting not just supposed be. Experiencing GS way of doing stuff, she concluded it's not right way to live and want teach him enjoy his life more instead.

Do you think she is wrong?
She's not wrong, but she doesn't seem to have grasped how essentially broken GS is. Even if by some miracle she managed to convince him to follow her into one of her amazing and exciting adventures, GS wouldn't feel a thing. He'd probably just keep thinking the whole time about the many goblins that are still around and that he could have killed instead of following HEA.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 20:48   Link #1154
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
She's not wrong, but she doesn't seem to have grasped how essentially broken GS is. Even if by some miracle she managed to convince him to follow her into one of her amazing and exciting adventures, GS wouldn't feel a thing. He'd probably just keep thinking the whole time about the many goblins that are still around and that he could have killed instead of following HEA.
Or he would spend the entire adventure making sure goblins dont ambush them while actively seeking out more to kill. And if they happen on a bunch of them on her "adventure," he might just find some enjoyment after all.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 20:48   Link #1155
xeviouses

ep4 the hyrdo cutter episode.

Overcasting miracles, nearly done in priestess but the Earth Mother is merciful I guess.
Old 2018-10-27, 21:05   Link #1156
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well, society/media have given us countless examples of women wanting to change their man without ever taking the man into actual consideration. HEA + GS is just another example of that (putting aside that HEA and GS aren't exactly in an exclusive relationship or anything like that, they're just party members)

Weirdly enough, Priestess feels like a mother/big sister type figure, resigned to the fact that GS is inevitably going to be GS and doing the things he does (despite the fact that she's the youngest)
Old 2018-10-27, 21:33   Link #1157
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Well, society/media have given us countless examples of women wanting to change their man without ever taking the man into actual consideration. HEA + GS is just another example of that (putting aside that HEA and GS aren't exactly in an exclusive relationship or anything like that, they're just party members)
Lets not bring modern society and media into a medieval fantasy world. HEA is sheltered, that's all.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 21:51   Link #1158
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Lets not bring modern society and media into a medieval fantasy world. HEA is sheltered, that's all.
I don't get how a woman wanting to change a man has anything to do with being sheltered or not (or modern society or not, unless you're trying to make the argument that women never wanted their men to change before modern society).

The main point of contention was to whether HEA could actually provide GS an adventure that he'd appreciate in the same way that she would. The parallel fundamentally stems from women wanting (trying to get) a man to change without considering the mans position on the matter. If GS is so broken that goblins are the only thing that drives him then even if he does go on HEA's perfect adventure he won't appreciate it in the way she wanted him to.

+ Girl tries to change guy because of her own belief (what an adventure should be)
+ Guy ultimately doesn't change (goblins!)
+ Circular loop where the girl forever tries to change the guy but never succeeds.
Old 2018-10-27, 21:52   Link #1159
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That said, I'm not exactly impressed by the fight itself, which felt a bit too much "turn based" if you catch my drift. It isn't bad per se, but it didn't really feel that intense, even though the ogre is giving a run for their money. I think it is mostly because of how HEA arrows and the dwarf spells felt a bit too tame (especially stone blast looks like the dwarf is using pebbles even though they should be really large rocks thrown at very high speed). And the water beam felt quite like a clip show. I think they should really have done the same as the manga: immediately cut the scene when GS uses the scroll, then have a complete recollection from the ogre POV (and cutting that useless reminder that the sorceress worked on the scroll).
I'm also a bit surprised they completely toned down the ogre's rage regarding GS not realizing he isn't "just mere goblin".
I kinda felt that too. In my case, I count a considerable amount of time where GS party-members spout their long-ass chants while the Ogre didn't do anything off-screen. For example, when Priestess did the long chant to protect the party, why was the Ogre just standing there holding his fireball when he already done his own chanting? Stuff like that that makes the fight feels like a Yu-Gi-Oh! card duels instead of a real fight. That kind of thing makes sense in YGO because the fights are turn-based by the rules of its own universe, but it looks bad here in GS. It's like something from the 80s & 90s RPG anime for kids. And here I thought GS is supposed to be more intense.
Old 2018-10-27, 21:58   Link #1160
Wheeljack83

And yet not a peep by grandstanding YouTubers about Castlevania which has a pretty horrendous depiction of a baby being slaughtered by a monster.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy