Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-06-03, 18:04   Link #181
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I wondered which contributed more to their disillusionment -- that he rode a bike, or that he rang the bell the whole time?

I put up with the silly fighting sequences to get to the gems like Hatsuharu's reminiscence of how Yuki became his friend. Haru's an interesting addition to the cast.

I get so tired of Tohru's self-abnegation. To me, it's the biggest negative of the story, more so even than the fighting, but perhaps Tohru's characterization rang true with young Japanese women reading shoujo manga in 1998. I'm more a fan of spunky anime heroines myself, like Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monogatari.

There aren't many, if any, oxen with Haru's black and white pattern. I browsed these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxen...ih=496&dpr=1.2

Most oxen are solid colored, and those with patterns are generally brown and white, not black and white. There is Mike and Jake from Sterling College here

but they're pretty exceptional. Haru looks more like a Holstein cow, commonly found on dairy farms. Notice that he has no horns.

Images
for size
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Of course the choice to give Haru that pattern was to provide a visualization for his Dark and Light selves.

There's a tribe in Nepal called the Gurung which replaces the ox with a cow; the Vietnamese use a water buffalo.
Yeah, I mentioned this before, but Tohru's kind of the weak link for me in this show. But, Hana's my girl. This whole episode she had me in stitches.
Old 2019-06-03, 18:31   Link #182
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I like Tohru a lot, but yeah, she's pretty bland and too perfect. She has flaws but none that could be considered real flaws. Her characterization has nothing to do with the time period, she's a character archetype often used in shoujo. First example that comes to my mind is Kimi ni Todoke.

I definitely prefer Hana, and hope she will play an important role in the story. Her powers seem like they're the real deal, even Yuki is wary of her.
Old 2019-06-03, 20:28   Link #183
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I like Hana well enough, but I don't see any basis to argue she's any less of a trope character than Tohru. We see her archetype all the time.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-03, 22:03   Link #184
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I like Hana well enough, but I don't see any basis to argue she's any less of a trope character than Tohru. We see her archetype all the time.
Sure, pretty much every character in this show is a trope, but for me at least, some trope characters are just more interesting, and fun then others.
Old 2019-06-03, 22:40   Link #185
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Sure, pretty much every character in this show is a trope, but for me at least, some trope characters are just more interesting, and fun then others.
Fair enough.

For me, Tohru needed Hochan exceeding the normal limits of mortal brilliance to make her memorable.
Old 2019-06-03, 23:27   Link #186
Frontier

Quote:
Fair enough.

For me, Tohru needed Hochan exceeding the normal limits of mortal brilliance to make her memorable.
I think Manaka Iwami's doing a great job. I think she really captures Tohru's enthusiasm, optimism, vulnerability clumsiness, and sincerity .

I know people have a fondness for the original anime cast although so far I think the remake's castings have been 100% on-point. Looking forward to hearing who they cast for everyone else .
Old 2019-06-04, 02:48   Link #187
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For me the new cast is mostly fine, more hits than misses but no real standouts. Iwami is doing a good job but it’s a very by the book performance to me - she’s not bringing anything to the character that isn’t on the page.
Old 2019-06-04, 12:05   Link #188
Jimmy C

I gotta question. I heard the manga covers all three of Tohru's years in high school. Those of you who have read the manga, would you say the end of each school year make a suitable ending point for a season? If yes, we just found out how many seasons this series will have.

This shouldn't count as a spoiler, right?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-04, 17:26   Link #189
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I gotta question. I heard the manga covers all three of Tohru's years in high school. Those of you who have read the manga, would you say the end of each school year make a suitable ending point for a season? If yes, we just found out how many seasons this series will have.

This shouldn't count as a spoiler, right?
It’s already been semi-reliably leaked that it will be 3 two-cour seasons. Certainly a logical possibility.
Old 2019-06-04, 19:14   Link #190
Frontier

Quote:
For me the new cast is mostly fine, more hits than misses but no real standouts. Iwami is doing a good job but it’s a very by the book performance to me - she’s not bringing anything to the character that isn’t on the page.
For me everyone is standing out pretty well as as who they're bringing to life in the story and embodying the characters .

I don't know if, for me, it's so much by-the-book as a role that I think fits Iwami quite well as a very sincere and vulnerable character, which is why I think she does well as Tohru .
Quote:
It’s already been semi-reliably leaked that it will be 3 two-cour seasons. Certainly a logical possibility.
I was expecting just 2 two-cour but 3 would definitely be enough to cover the entire manga without, probably, cutting too much .
Old 2019-06-05, 04:25   Link #191
Arya

ah-a, I just thought during this last episode how much I like Hana, and so I'm not alone. Not much to say against Thoru, I like her, but for now she is just there, I can't to avoid notice what an acrobat she is to be fair to her guys, if she say A to Yuki she has to say B to Kyo and vice-versa. It's kinda a bit unrealistic. I mean, I know the show in its entirety is fantastic, but still.

Back to Hana, of course she benefits of the pros and cons of not being the MC, sort of, so her limited screen time and focus makes you want more of her ( if you like her ). That's happens often to me to appreciate more the rest of the cast over the MC.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-05, 04:34   Link #192
videoman190

Moo
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-05, 09:03   Link #193
LKK

^ Seeing that little gif above makes me smile. I love how whenever Kyo loses emotional control his hair pops up into cat ears.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-07, 22:54   Link #194
Frontier

Man, girls can be ruthless on Valentine's Day. All's fair in love and war, but it looks practically like a cold war when it comes to Yuki .

Is that Hitomi Nabatame as Shiraki-sensei? As if they couldn't make her more awesome .

Kind of not surprised Kyo's big fear on Valentine's is Kagura. Sure, it's nice to have a girl who loves you on Valentine's, but it can be a pretty big hassle when she chases after you and can toss you on the ground with a flick of her finger .

So there's more to Kyo's focus on hating Yuki then just their role as the cat and rat, a trauma that he's trying to forget about by obsessing over beating Yuki .

Yuki and Kyo are basically the two boyfriends stuck with their girlfriends during a chick flick. Except it looked less like a chick flick and more like a kids movie. Mogeta for the win .

We finally get to see the "real" Shigure in full as he was the focus of this episode, ultimately. Not the flippant and carefree adult he portrays himself as but a more selfish, manipulative, dark individual who sees the kids under his charge as means of achieving what he desires, which seems centered around Akito. Not that he's completely heartless, otherwise the utter pureness that is Tohru Honda would not effect him in such a way .

Hattori as pragmatic as ever. He's too entrenched to go against Akito but it doesn't mean he's completely unsympathetic to whatever effect Shigure has planned through Tohru's influence...especially if it means something like what happened to Kana never happens again .

Ah, Shigure's editor. This poor girl. She's so desperate to get Shigure to work but he just doesn't care .

Last edited by Frontier; 2019-06-08 at 12:37.
Frontier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-08, 04:28   Link #195
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Nice episode. They're really building up this cold war between Shigure and Akito but we still don't have a clear picture of what exactly is happening. I hope it lives up to the expectations.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-08, 06:00   Link #196
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 4 and 5:

Kagura, the childhood friend of Kyou the cat. Just remove her weird habit of beating up people and she is perfect.

Episode 5 introduces trash people who are Tohru's relatives. It feels like there's too much drama.. could Tohru just have politely say goodbye to her kind grandpa and leave the house instead of doing all that crying? The drama feels forced by the writers. Yuki destroyed that asshole, serves him right. Anyway, despite the complaints.. Tohru going home with Yuki and Kyo made me smile.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-08, 10:33   Link #197
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

We already caught a glimpse of his dark side before, but now that more has been revealed about Shigure, he's become the most interesting character in the show. Not evil, but certainly not as nice as he pretends to be either.

The focus on Kyo was also nice. He apparently has a trauma he's trying to hide and escape from.
Old 2019-06-08, 10:36   Link #198
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm not sure about those seating arrangements. You'd think Kagura would stick to Kyo more closely.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-08, 10:37   Link #199
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We already caught a glimpse of his dark side before, but now that more has been revealed about Shigure, he's become the most interesting character in the show. Not evil, but certainly not as nice as he pretends to be either.
A bit evil. To his editor.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-08, 14:03   Link #200
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Like Haak, I hope this mysterious project of Shigure's lives up to its hype. But yes, he's certainly become the most interesting character. Yuki is, so far, too much the prince. If Kyo figures out what to do about all that rage he carries around, he could become more multi-dimensional.

I noticed Hatsuharu doesn't make an appearance in the ED. I count eight - snake and rat, pig and cat, dog and rabbit, and goat and tiger. That leaves four - the ox, the monkey, the rooster, and the horse. I suspect leaving Hatsuharu out avoided a spoiler for his Holstein appearance. Wonder what the others will look like.

How many animal forms have we seen so far besides Yuki, Kyo, and Hatsu? I don't want to go back and rewatch all nine prior episodes, but I might.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remake