AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-01-26, 12:59   Link #241
BWTraveller
Born to ship

The weird thing is that they often seem very uncomfortable about showing girls. I came across a series I saw as a child, and in one ep they all go swimming. All the boys swim naked, while the girl swims with swimsuit bottoms on. In Doraemon you get this too: after the reboot, it's become practically forbidden to show Shizuka nude or even her underpants despite that being common in the original, but Nobita can end up stripped very easily and frequently. And here, Rudy shows everything while Sylph keeps everything covered. Ironically, once they get older anime seems sometimes fine showing women fully nude from the front, just with nothing defined at all there, while men aren't shown.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-26, 13:51   Link #242
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
For an isekai MC whose thoughts we can hear, he sure doesn't regret or think too much of his original parents who he had failed, does he? In episode 2, his flashback is more about his trauma than remorse.

Like Bakato said in previous pages, surely he could've been more endearing if he voiced more inner remorse to us, the audience, at this point.
Well, he doesn't tell almost anything about his past life except for generally regretting it. You can take his dealing with his current parents as an awkward way to deal with his emotions to his previous ones.

It's also worth mentioning that him becoming a neet hikikomori also likely means that his relationship with his parents was pretty terrible, or just non-existent after so many years, so he might regret how it ended and realize some things about their standpoint, but he is unlikely to suddenly start loving them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I think the focus on bullying discussion is a pointless, like for all his trauma, he sure acts confident and sure of himself.

all fine with his parents and trying to make friends. A distrust of people or dismissive attitude of parents certainly didn't carry much into reincarnation, other some slight phobia about going outside, which was squashed pretty early.

Take out the hikko trash backstory beforehand, and you wouldn't know the difference from this snarky isekai MC than any other.
You are ignoring a lot about the show. Yes, he isn't particularly shy for a 5 years boy, but he is one hell of socially awkward for an almost 40 years old guy. He acts confident if experimenting with magic or possibly when only with his family, but anyone unknown shows up and he is super awkward.

Examples: when Roxy shows up, while he has some interesting monologues, he is curled up in his father's arms in the beginning, looking around a lot and his dissing of her in his mind can be taken as escaping reality (his calling her small is more of an accident than intentional). He also just hears they will be outside and is pretty scared. Then acting super awkward for a good part of the introduction to magic, mostly opening up only because Roxy is such a clutz and kind that she seems absolutely harmless.

Ep 2: he just sees 2 kids playing and his trauma gets triggered when they look back on him. He also hides from other people and seeks protection from close ones (curling to Roxy when he thinks the people are watching him, he doesn't even have enough leeway to comment about her chest there).

Ep 3: He originally hides behind a tree and is averting his eyes to the bullying, only when it escalates to pretty extreme levels does he decide to go help. However we can already see some progress he has made since his previous life, or even meeting Roxy. His interaction with Sylp is also mostly awkward in the beginning and he again opens up mostly because she is acting super meek at the moment.

I would also like to point out it has been something like 7 years of him wanting to change and several months from Roxy leaving (and she pushed him to make the first step in leaving the home first and village 1 year later).

So no, he isn't a confident socially apt grown-up, though he is slowly growing into one.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-29, 10:57   Link #243
EroKing

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-21 at 09:44.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-29, 18:52   Link #244
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
NSFW
Megami
The secret ending of Roxy using that spell .
Old 2021-01-30, 12:27   Link #245
arkhangelsk

Because it looked way too much like another isekai series, I didn't check it out until now, but it is really quite good. I liked how it showed many things like how Roxy really is, when you get down to it, a good teacher and his father ... well, not so much

A few thoughts after scanning the thread:

TL;DR…
On Protagonist OPness

TL;DR…
On Protagonist's Reincarnation

TL;DR…
On Roxy in the Hallway
Fourth, about the pick up lines Protagonist learnt from computer games, not only are they new in this world, but I think no one has yet pointed out that he's now a Four Year Old. A well-worn pickup line from a computer game sounds very profound when uttered by a four year old.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-30, 13:31   Link #246
Tenzen12

Well, it's not like it made big impression anyway. From what I saw Roxy just thought he cheeky kid, though she was greatful for effort.
Old 2021-01-30, 14:34   Link #247
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
TL;DR…
On Protagonist's Reincarnation
I read that in the novel, it was his niece. Not a cartoon, not some child actress he'll never meet, but his actual niece. While it doesn't mean he would be inclined to actually get out of his room long enough to actually molest her, I understand not wanting to take the chance.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-30, 16:25   Link #248
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I read that in the novel, it was his niece. Not a cartoon, not some child actress he'll never meet, but his actual niece. While it doesn't mean he would be inclined to actually get out of his room long enough to actually molest her, I understand not wanting to take the chance.
Are you sure that wasn't the web novel? Because I've read the light novels and I don't recall any mention of him even having a niece, much less having pictures of her or masturbating to those pictures. Not to mention it seems rather unlikely that he'd have anything particularly dirty of his niece since he didn't leave his room, unless his brother had been secretly taking pictures and posting them.
Old 2021-01-30, 16:52   Link #249
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Are you sure that wasn't the web novel?
Maybe? I haven't read either. It's just second hand.

Quote:
Because I've read the light novels and I don't recall any mention of him even having a niece, much less having pictures of her or masturbating to those pictures. Not to mention it seems rather unlikely that he'd have anything particularly dirty of his niece since he didn't leave his room, unless his brother had been secretly taking pictures and posting them.
It doesn't have to be a dirty picture.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-30, 17:47   Link #250
Twi

It was the Web Novel. He used hidden cam footage. Naturally, they couldn't keep that in for the LN version or any other adaptation.
Old 2021-01-30, 18:22   Link #251
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
TL;DR…
On Roxy in the Hallway
And I say that scene doesn't need to happen. There are other, better ways to humanize someone other than watching him/her masturbating. All you need is better imagination and less hentai/fanservice mindset to write it.
Old 2021-01-30, 19:33   Link #252
Frontier

Quote:
And I say that scene doesn't need to happen. There are other, better ways to humanize someone other than watching him/her masturbating. All you need is better imagination and less hentai/fanservice mindset to write it.
The author wanted to convey that most of the people in the house are super horny. On that front, I'd say he succeeded .
Old 2021-01-30, 19:40   Link #253
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
The author wanted to convey that most of the people in the house are super horny. On that front, I'd say he succeeded .
It's still not needed. We already knew the parents are "vigorous" from episode 1. And Roxy didn't need to do it in a hallway to prove that, yes, she's young with plenty of sexual drive. It's just hentai-pandering, just admit it.
Old 2021-01-30, 19:55   Link #254
Frontier

Quote:
It's still not needed. We already knew the parents are "vigorous" from episode 1. And Roxy didn't need to do it in a hallway to prove that, yes, she's young with plenty of sexual drive. It's just hentai-pandering, just admit it.
Maybe not need, but I think it was perfectly valid the way they depicted it. It didn't come off as hentai-pandering to me (at least the way it was shown).
Old 2021-01-30, 19:58   Link #255
Magewolf

Quote:
The hallway had a view as opposed to just hearing it and should have been safe. The maid probably stays on the first flour and the only reason Rudy came out of his room was to be an asshole and blue ball his dad.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-30, 20:22   Link #256
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
It was the Web Novel. He used hidden cam footage. Naturally, they couldn't keep that in for the LN version or any other adaptation.
Thought so. But really that means his brother is scum too doesn't it? We're talking about a guy who never leaves his room, there's no way he went into his brother's house and set up hidden cameras. Only way that would work is if her own father had set those cameras up and posted them on the net or something.
Old 2021-01-30, 20:31   Link #257
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Thought so. But really that means his brother is scum too doesn't it? We're talking about a guy who never leaves his room, there's no way he went into his brother's house and set up hidden cameras. Only way that would work is if her own father had set those cameras up and posted them on the net or something.
And he just lucks out and finds his nieces feed online? No way. I'm pretty sure the guy still needed to leave his room to go shit. So, I'm pretty sure he'd have likely been the one to set up those cameras back in the WN since leaving his room would be less of a problem then leaving the house. And, I'm going to assume his niece must of come over at some point to visit her grandparents.
Old 2021-01-30, 20:44   Link #258
kagato3

Quote:
It was pretty clear he had set them up. And he would still leave his room to go to the restroom and take baths and such.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-30, 21:00   Link #259
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
It was pretty clear he had set them up. And he would still leave his room to go to the restroom and take baths and such.
Are you saying that his brother and his family still lived with their parents too? Because there's a big difference between going down the hall to the bathroom and going to another person's house with equipment. MAYBE the niece bathed at their parents' house and he set up the equipment shortly before they got there, but it still seems a little hard to buy for me (though I'll admit him finding his niece online is also real hard to buy). Really, it just seems far-fetched to me for a guy who barely leaves his room except under necessity to manage to make a secret video of his niece. Definitely a good bit to remove, both to keep him from being TOO scummy and to avoid demanding too much from people's suspension of disbelief.
Old 2021-01-30, 21:03   Link #260
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Are you saying that his brother and his family still lived with their parents too? Because there's a big difference between going down the hall to the bathroom and going to another person's house with equipment. MAYBE the niece bathed at their parents' house and he set up the equipment shortly before they got there, but it still seems a little hard to buy for me (though I'll admit him finding his niece online is also real hard to buy). Really, it just seems far-fetched to me for a guy who barely leaves his room except under necessity to manage to make a secret video of his niece. Definitely a good bit to remove, both to keep him from being TOO scummy and to avoid demanding too much from people's suspension of disbelief.
Uh, you never slept at your grandparents' place as a kid?

Tags
drama, isekai