AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-02-09, 14:07   Link #501
apr
Pedestrian

I expect a world with healing magic is one where violence is seen differently from our own views. Many injuries we'd think of as permanent can probably be easily fixed (with enough money), so I doubt they have to be as careful as us about avoiding concussions or broken teeth. This inevitably raises the bar for when you'd stop punching someone in the face.
Old 2021-02-09, 15:04   Link #502
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post

The biggest mystery for me is that how did Ghyslaine let herself being taken by Paul.. lol
Well we don't know if Paul was one that started the encounter.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 15:25   Link #503
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Eris was badly beaten up, but she wasn't suffering from grave open wounds whatsoever so she wasn't going to bleed to death from what I can see. And I doubt any violent person like that would think twice about making a brat shut up instead of worrying about money. He was expecting enough money with Rudeus alone, so you can tell he wasn't picky and/or privy of the details.
He was stomping her on the head with no apparent restraint. That should have killed her.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 16:07   Link #504
Tenzen12

I think it's safe assume, servant had 99.9% brain cells of whole group.
Old 2021-02-09, 16:26   Link #505
Strahan

I agree the beating was excessive, but that said I wouldn't cry many tears over it. Especially knowing that healing magic is a thing. The girl is already a monster brat, if Rudy had no magic she would likely have put him into quite a bad state as well. Hopefully running into someone who doesn't give a darn about her status is a wake up call. The adults are also shitty, given that they didn't even try to control that brat at all when she was pounding Rudy.

Given what they have shown us of Rudy's power, he should have been able to handle the kidnappers in the alley just fine but the writers obviously wanted to let Ghislaine shine. Also I found it kinda dumb that he didn't play along with them. They offered to bribe him. I'd have tried to roll with it to get them to lower their guard then take them out. But again, that would not leave Ghislaine anyone to behead lol
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 17:12   Link #506
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I expect a world with healing magic is one where violence is seen differently from our own views. Many injuries we'd think of as permanent can probably be easily fixed (with enough money), so I doubt they have to be as careful as us about avoiding concussions or broken teeth. This inevitably raises the bar for when you'd stop punching someone in the face.
They didn't know how good a mage Rudy was though. In fact, the idiot even mentioned that as long as they had Rudy he thought they'd be good even if the girl died when she was the main target. So it was the dunce having a serious anger problem more than anything else, since even if you have people who can heal, the person in question probably needs to be alive and we don't know when the exchange was taking place or if they would have brought along a healer.

In short, Tenzen12 probably had the gist of it that the traitor was the brains of the group.
Old 2021-02-09, 17:15   Link #507
Rasty

^^ You are overestimating him. Yes, if you look on raw "stats" he might be able to take them down, but he has no real fighting experience and seems to still hesitate about killing. On the other hand, his enemies are numerically superior, are accustomed to fighting and kill for their living (or at least don't hesitate to do so). It's a kid with AK47 vs 3 gangsters with pistols situation, the kid has the bigger gun but how high is his chance of surviving?

Also "just a sword" is also wrong. Paul being only advanced can easily cut rocks with his sword and Ghislain can thrash a street so hard huge stones are flying around, so you can't disregard it so easily.

Btw. Eris seems to respect violence and considering that she loves Ghislain probably also sword fighting, she just thinks anything else is useless (and is a spoiled brat, not just tsundere). And don't take Rudeus' thoughts so seriously, when he is using Otaku reference he seems to be either making a joke or escaping reality for the most part.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 17:16   Link #508
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Some of you guys are putting a lot of faith in healing magic. I mean, sure, it worked out (because of course it did), but with a beating like that, I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd died before Rudy ever got off his arse to heal her. (Except for, you know, the plot armor.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 17:16   Link #509
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
They didn't know how good a mage Rudy was though. In fact, the idiot even mentioned that as long as they had Rudy he thought they'd be good. So it was the dunce having a serious anger problem more than anything else, since even if you have people who can heal the person in question probably needs to be alive and we don't know when the exchange was taking place or if they would have brought along a healer.
You really think Rudy is the only one with healing powers? They just need to find someone with healing magic. Frankly, I doubt they had any real awareness that Rudy was able to heal, or at least not to such an extent. If they knew that they were dealing with a competent mage they'd have taken bigger precautions. Don't remember if they said it in that anime, but in the manga and LN the bandits thought he was a demon trapped in a child's body (like Roxy) when they saw his magic, as no way could a seven-year-old do something like that.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 17:18   Link #510
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Some of you guys are putting a lot of faith in healing magic. I mean, sure, it worked out (because of course it did), but with a beating like that, I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd died before Rudy ever got off his arse to heal her. (Except for, you know, the plot armor.)
More so considering that she can't use magic at all, including magic that strengthens her body. She's just a 9-year old girl who couldn't defend herself, while that dude had like 200 pounds on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
You really think Rudy is the only one with healing powers? They just need to find someone with healing magic. Frankly, I doubt they had any real awareness that Rudy was able to heal, or at least not to such an extent. If they knew that they were dealing with a competent mage they'd have taken bigger precautions. Don't remember if they said it in that anime, but in the manga and LN the bandits thought he was a demon trapped in a child's body (like Roxy) when they saw his magic, as no way could a seven-year-old do something like that.
Actually, my quote was "it was the dunce having a serious anger problem more than anything else, since even if you have people who can heal, the person in question probably needs to be alive and we don't know when the exchange was taking place or if they would have brought along a healer."

The implication here being that they didn't know Rudy could heal and there was no exchange where they mentioned whoever they were selling Eris to would bring a healer along with them for the trade-off. So them beating her like that could have been fatal and the idiot who kidnapped her didn't seem to realize how much of a problem that would have been.
Old 2021-02-09, 17:23   Link #511
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
^^ You are overestimating him. Yes, if you look on raw "stats" he might be able to take them down, but he has no real fighting experience and seems to still hesitate about killing. On the other hand, his enemies are numerically superior, are accustomed to fighting and kill for their living (or at least don't hesitate to do so). It's a kid with AK47 vs 3 gangsters with pistols situation, the kid has the bigger gun but how high is his chance of surviving?

Also "just a sword" is also wrong. Paul being only advanced can easily cut rocks with his sword and Ghislain can thrash a street so hard huge stones are flying around, so you can't disregard it so easily.

Btw. Eris seems to respect violence and considering that she loves Ghislain probably also sword fighting, she just thinks anything else is useless (and is a spoiled brat, not just tsundere). And don't take Rudeus' thoughts so seriously, when he is using Otaku reference he seems to be either making a joke or escaping reality for the most part.
I wouldn't even say he has raw stat adventage. In general sword is superior to magic in universe and Rudy were able put some fight mostly only because he used smart tricks.
Old 2021-02-09, 17:24   Link #512
Rasty

Considering how dirty her back is most of the kicks likely went there rather than the head (where he stepped on her first). And I doubt that anyone who kidnaps kids to be sold to who knows where has a good and careful character, he just got angry at the noisy kid and punched her, then she provoked him much more by attacking him so he beat her till his anger subsided. And we don't know whether he didn't actually hold back. After all, he can have lots of experience beating up people (possibly including children) and how much is "too muich".
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 17:32   Link #513
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
More so considering that she can't use magic at all, including magic that strengthens her body. She's just a 9-year old girl who couldn't defend herself, while that dude had like 200 pounds on her.

Actually, my quote was "it was the dunce having a serious anger problem more than anything else, since even if you have people who can heal, the person in question probably needs to be alive and we don't know when the exchange was taking place or if they would have brought along a healer."

The implication here being that they didn't know Rudy could heal and there was no exchange where they mentioned whoever they were selling Eris to would bring a healer along with them for the trade-off. So them beating her like that could have been fatal and the idiot who kidnapped her didn't seem to realize how much of a problem that would have been.
I'm just saying that it wouldn't matter that much if they feel that they or their client would be able to get a healer quickly enough. They didn't beat her THAT badly. Yes, she's messed up, but it wasn't so bad as to expect death, at least not immediate death. May hurt things a bit that they didn't say who they were selling her to (other versions show there was a creepy noble who was interested in her and had some twisted hobbies; one could assume that a noble, especially one with violent fetishes, would have access to a skilled healer).
Old 2021-02-09, 20:18   Link #514
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Why do people think they were supposed to be sold?
The way I understood it that one of the kidnappers is a former teacher of Eris' and he, and the other servant wanted to ransom her to the Greyrats.

One of the thugs was just so fed up with her by then, that he just beat her up, as he thought they'd get enough from Rudy alone, and could exact their revenge on Eris.

That is at least how I took the situation.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 21:26   Link #515
Wingsaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
The way I understood it that one of the kidnappers is a former teacher of Eris' and he, and the other servant wanted to ransom her to the Greyrats.

One of the thugs was just so fed up with her by then, that he just beat her up, as he thought they'd get enough from Rudy alone, and could exact their revenge on Eris.

No he was the butler/servant for her family.
Wingsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-09, 23:19   Link #516
Strahan

Quote:
People don't usually die rapidly from a beating, and it's easy to put faith in healing magic because it isn't real lol. The power, effect and implementation is whatever the writer decides it is. So it could be as simple as snap your fingers and full heal, or it could be a long time consuming ritual that relies not just on mana but on reagents and takes awhile to work.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-10, 02:12   Link #517
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post

Again, the anime may not have made it all that clear. According to the manga and light novel, Rudy and Eris' father had the butler set up the "fake" kidnapping, but instead he arranged a real kidnapping in order to sell Eris off to a depraved noble who had his eye on her.
Old 2021-02-10, 03:39   Link #518
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Again, the anime may not have made it all that clear. According to the manga and light novel, Rudy and Eris' father had the butler set up the "fake" kidnapping, but instead he arranged a real kidnapping in order to sell Eris off to a depraved noble who had his eye on her.
The butler said it at the end of the episode. It wasn't stated flat out early on (though I think they said something like, "Wouldn't the ransom get us more money?"), but it wasn't left out.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-10, 03:54   Link #519
Applehell

Ooof, Eris definitely channeling the "90s"-"00" style of tsundereism and not fan even if was funny at first to see Rudy get beat up. That a nice change of environment with people less likely to put up with his crap might be what is need to start moderating Rudy, but I don't have high hopes. Ghislaine's sword technique pretty cool as was Rudy magic effects. If nothing else the side character are what carrying this series for me a long with the gorgeous visuals rn.

Quote:
He was stomping her on the head with no apparent restraint. That should have killed her.
Or leave something kind of serious had head trauma that wouldn't have allow her to wake up just like that. Eitherway the violence was tad to over-the-top for what the staff was going for.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-10, 04:25   Link #520
Chosen_Hero

It doesn't matter if it was a ransom or selling them, the people paying the money won't do it for a corpse.

Tags
drama, isekai