Notices

Old 2021-03-13, 13:21   Link #181
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Best friend character won!
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-13, 17:33   Link #182
Wandering Soul

So Hori is fine with losing Miyamura, but it absolutely must not be to a guy. The girl has weird priorities.

Poor Sakura. I'm sympathetic to her, but in the end, no matter how much you put yourself out there and put their heart into it, you can't force love. It might even boost her self-confidence a bit to learn that Ishikawa turned her down because he thought she was too good for him.
Old 2021-03-13, 19:38   Link #183
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given what he told Yuki, it seems Tooru likes her too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
So Hori is fine with losing Miyamura, but it absolutely must not be to a guy. The girl has weird priorities.
I hate to be that guy, but she sounded quite homophobic, didn't she? I would think that losing your boyfriend to a guy would be better than losing him to another girl, since at least that way you can tell yourself there was nothing you could do to avoid the outcome and no one's at fault.

Speaking of homos, whatever happened to the girl who had a crush on Hori? It felt like she had a story to be told with her dead brother and all, but then she completely disappeared from the series.
Old 2021-03-13, 21:06   Link #184
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I hate to be that guy, but she sounded quite homophobic, didn't she? I would think that losing your boyfriend to a guy would be better than losing him to another girl, since at least that way you can tell yourself there was nothing you could do to avoid the outcome and no one's at fault.

Speaking of homos, whatever happened to the girl who had a crush on Hori? It felt like she had a story to be told with her dead brother and all, but then she completely disappeared from the series.
I don't think it was anything against guys liking guys in general, she's only speaking about Miyamura, so much as personal pride that she not lose Miyamura to a guy .
Old 2021-03-13, 21:30   Link #185
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I took that as a bit unpleasantly "off", as well. Homophobic or just tasteless, it really didn't work.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-13, 22:33   Link #186
Chosen_Hero

Not everything that isn't super pro gay is homophobic, I bet that if it was a gay character telling another something similar about not leaving him/her for a straight relationship you wouldn't think it was straight-phobic, anti straight or tasteless, right?

It was just Hori being worried because it's more realistic to her that he would leave her for a guy (due to how close he tends to be with his male friends) than a girl, that's all, nothing more, nothing less. Why do people gotta act like she cursed out and threatened to kill gays?

(This comment is not limited only to people in this site)

Besides that, this episode really pissed me off, not because Toru didn't choose Sakura, but the stupid riddle speak, no human speaks like that, especially not highschoolers. That isn't sweet, it's plain old annoying and would only end up making more misunderstandings.
Old 2021-03-14, 04:23   Link #187
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Like with her masochism, I don't think there's much logic behind it. It's just her being weird.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-14, 12:01   Link #188
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Not everything that isn't super pro gay is homophobic, I bet that if it was a gay character telling another something similar about not leaving him/her for a straight relationship you wouldn't think it was straight-phobic, anti straight or tasteless, right?
I would, actually. Same reasoning.
Old 2021-03-14, 13:19   Link #189
grecefar

Well I didn't expect to dislike a character more than remi but yuki just took that spot.

And what the hell ishikawa saying that sakura is out of his league, that just an excuse since he went for hori knowing she is 10 times more popular than sakura. Now I don't feel bad of him for hori rejecting him brutally at the beginning.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-15, 16:59   Link #190
Decel

I'm surprised Hori's comment about not falling for a guy is generating so much debate.

Imo the perspective is that Hori is pretty high on the girls ranking, maybe lagging behind Remi in looks but compensates with smarts and other attributes. She's a popular girl and she knows it (recall her rejecting people she doesn't even know from ep 1).

From my interpretation of the statement is that while she can compete on the girls' side she'd have no argument if Miyamura falls for a guy, which is what worries her (seriously or not). If she loses to another girl she could probably understand or at least reason as to why she lost, which is not applicable if he falls for a guy.

It's like a joke I saw: "I was so tired of you, I tuned out your whole gender".
Old 2021-03-15, 17:14   Link #191
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Given what he told Yuki, it seems Tooru likes her too.

Right, as a women I'd sooner have my man leave me for a man then for a woman for the rationalization you pointed out. Oh well it couldn't be helped.

And, if I was in a lesbian relationship I'd rather get dumped for another man then a woman. lol Basically any outcome that lets me go, it was them, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post

It was just Hori being worried because it's more realistic to her that he would leave her for a guy (due to how close he tends to be with his male friends) than a girl, that's all, nothing more, nothing less. Why do people gotta act like she cursed out and threatened to kill gays?

(This comment is not limited only to people in this site)

Besides that, this episode really pissed me off, not because Toru didn't choose Sakura, but the stupid riddle speak, no human speaks like that, especially not highschoolers. That isn't sweet, it's plain old annoying and would only end up making more misunderstandings.
Quote:
I would, actually. Same reasoning.
With that said I could see this being a legitimate concern with some gay people, that has nothing to do with straight-phobia (Is that even a thing?! o_O). You see this theme pop up in BL sometimes where a character was jilted by a past lover who left them for a woman because societal and personal and family pressure to settle down and start a family. And, they start a new relationship but are fearful that the same thing is going to happen again.

There's probably a small bit of truth to that fear since it's not like the whole world is 100% OK with homosexuality.
Old 2021-03-15, 19:30   Link #192
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
With that said I could see this being a legitimate concern with some gay people, that has nothing to do with straight-phobia (Is that even a thing?! o_O). You see this theme pop up in BL sometimes where a character was jilted by a past lover who left them for a woman because societal and personal and family pressure to settle down and start a family. And, they start a new relationship but are fearful that the same thing is going to happen again.

There's probably a small bit of truth to that fear since it's not like the whole world is 100% OK with homosexuality.
Straight-phobia, or whatever the term is, most definitely exists. Everything is a two way street.

I don't think the author is homophobic or that Hori as a character is, but her words could really be easily misinterpreted. To be honest, I still don't get Hori's thought process here. Guess she's just that weird.
Old 2021-03-15, 23:27   Link #193
Frontier

Quote:
Straight-phobia, or whatever the term is, most definitely exists. Everything is a two way street.

I don't think the author is homophobic or that Hori as a character is, but her words could really be easily misinterpreted. To be honest, I still don't get Hori's thought process here. Guess she's just that weird.
She's really self-conscious about Miyamura's chemistry with guys .
Old 2021-03-20, 10:18   Link #194
Eerie Code

Quote:

Personally, I think it's an odd variant of a specific trope in romance. You know when a member of a couple has a lot of friends of the opposite gender, and the other member gets jealous because they perceive those friends as potential love rivals? This is basically that trope, except in this case the friends are the same gender. Admittedly, that trope can also be a bit problematic in its own right, what with the jealousy and perceiving others as potential threats, but I don't think it's meant to be homophobic.

And to be fair, remember the end of episode 1, when Hori jokingly suggested Miyamura should go out with Ishikawa, and Miyamura's only objection was that they don't have a lot in common? It's never addressed in the story, but it does give Hori reason to believe that for Miyamura gender isn't an issue when it comes to relationships. Add to that the fact that pretty much all of Miyamura's friends are guys, and that some of those friendships are close enough to qualify as ambiguous even in-universe (he and Ishikawa have been mistaken for a couple at least twice in the anime, Shindou had that scene with Miyamura feeding him candies, and both of them are the only ones outside of Hori's family he's confortable enough with to show them his tattoos), and it's no surprise Hori sees other guys as greater potential threats than other girls!

Honestly, the more I think about Miyamura's interactions, the more Horimiya resembles a BL visual novel where he just so happened to pick the secret straight route with Hori...
Eerie Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-20, 12:28   Link #195
Frontier

You know that green-haired kid who has popped in and out of the anime? Well, his name is Iura, and he's ostensibly a main character even though the anime really hasn't shown much of him. So I guess now that we're nearing the end we may as well give him a focus episode alongside the rest of the supporting cast .

Yanagi is too formal for his own good. He's only casual around the girl he likes, and that might not go anywhere. But it's oddly cute in a way, especially when Remi forces him to say "bye-bye" .

Lot of male bonding and comedy among bros going on, including Miyamura being jealous of Yanagi saying Ishikawa's first name. No wonder Hori is worried more about guys than girls stealing Miyamura from her .

Sawada! It was nice to see her again, and Miyamura helping her get closer to guys. Sengoku and Ishikawa are even competing for her affection. Too bad Iura is totally not her type of person though .

Iura may act like the class clown and has no indoor voice in class, but at home he's a stoic and serious older brother who cares deeply for his little sister Motoko. She's struggling her hardest to get into the school her friends are going to, but her hard work just isn't paying off, though Iura is not going to let her give up and let someone else say his sister can't try .

Hori agreeing to help Motoko was pretty sweet, and her helping Motoko relax and just talking to her instead of just immediately studying was a nice move on her part. She was also able to realize how close Shu and Motoko really are with each other, and that deep down they care about each other and just don't want their sibling to hate them .
Old 2021-03-20, 16:43   Link #196
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:

Ummm.. uhhh...
How do I even put this....
Consider the series' source material of source material is completely free to read online on author's site.
There is that one chapter that you might want to take a look at where Hori has that one comment on Miyamura's sex life before him meeting her.
It actually explains something, I think.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-20, 17:11   Link #197
grecefar

Great chapter, it was nice to know more about shu.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-20, 19:37   Link #198
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

My "issue", which isn't much of one, isn't that Hori feels more threatened by guys than girls (I get that), but rather that she made Miyamura swear he'd dump her for a girl rather than a guy. She basically forbade him from joining the other team, even if that's what he actually wants. And I don't have an explanation for that.

As for this week's episode... hey, Sawada came back! She was mostly used for comedy though. Motoko's story was rather realistic. Anime usually goes for a "hard work is always rewarded" approach, but she's studying like crazy and yet her grades keep dropping.
Old 2021-03-20, 19:53   Link #199
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow, what a snoozer that was.

Ishihara's choices here are truly baffling me, I have to say.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-20, 19:57   Link #200
Wandering Soul

In the end, Iura is a bit like Hori. Laidback and fun-loving when with friends, but a responsible and even stern sibling at home.