AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-08-13, 11:09   Link #181
Dextro
He Without a Title

Not gonna lie, this episode was a bit of an OOF moment. Kind of getting tired of the isekai slave trope. It feels dirty every time these kinds of stories come up, and (so far) Mushoko Tensei isn't deviating from the norm. We still get our usual cute and far too young slave that gets bought by the main character. We haven't even gotten any show of distaste for the slave system here, it's treated as if it is the most natural thing in the world. It might be for the world of Mushoko Tensei, but the MC comes from our own world's Japan where it 100% shouldn't be. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Also: am I the only one slightly disappointed by the fact that Season 2 actually has an OP animation? I miss how Season 1 gave us that little bit of extra flavour while the Opening song and credits rolled.
Old 2023-08-13, 11:20   Link #182
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Not gonna lie, this episode was a bit of an OOF moment. Kind of getting tired of the isekai slave trope. It feels dirty every time these kinds of stories come up, and (so far) Mushoko Tensei isn't deviating from the norm. We still get our usual cute and far too young slave that gets bought by the main character. We haven't even gotten any show of distaste for the slave system here, it's treated as if it is the most natural thing in the world. It might be for the world of Mushoko Tensei, but the MC comes from our own world's Japan where it 100% shouldn't be. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Also: am I the only one slightly disappointed by the fact that Season 2 actually has an OP animation? I miss how Season 1 gave us that little bit of extra flavour while the Opening song and credits rolled.
Complete agreement on both counts. The repeating OP is a big loss from the prior cours.

It's discouraging to see the slave market child-rearing trope return again. It give bad vibes like Slyvie and Rudeus raising a child, which is also dumb in any isekai though it is definitely the worst in video game and VRMMO ones.

I kind of expected the solution to be giving Zanoba marble or something and using his significant strength to work with a material that he can't easily break, also allowing him to surpass Rudeus' clay/sand & transmogrification method.

Nope, floofy-haired slave girl.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-13, 11:33   Link #183
Frontier

Quote:

I think it was subtle but Rudeus' demeanor changed a lot when he saw the kids in the cages and felt the true weight of slavery in that moment, he just also recognized he couldn't do anything about it.

Even Sylphie seemed more uncomfortable in that moment.

They would probably be struggling to keep coming up with content for the intro if they had to keep showing Rudeus' school life play out during the theme .
Old 2023-08-13, 13:18   Link #184
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think it was subtle but Rudeus' demeanor changed a lot when he saw the kids in the cages and felt the true weight of slavery in that moment, he just also recognized he couldn't do anything about it.

Even Sylphie seemed more uncomfortable in that moment.
I've seen that argument brought up, and maybe it's different in the novel (haven't read them yet), but only a couple of scenes before Sylphie brought it up as the most natural thing in the worls and Rudeus immediately agreed. He didn't show the smallest amount of hesitation.

I know he's seen slavery before in this world, maybe he even got more used to it off-screen, but the show still lost an opportunity to have grown up inner voice Rudeus chime in saying he wasn't a fan of this but "shikataganai" or something of the sort.

(btw it might seem like I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I am. It's disappointing, but not really too egreegious... well, unless they go for a Shield Hero Raphtalia kind of deal)
Old 2023-08-13, 13:32   Link #185
Frontier

Quote:
I've seen that argument brought up, and maybe it's different in the novel (haven't read them yet), but only a couple of scenes before Sylphie brought it up as the most natural thing in the worls and Rudeus immediately agreed. He didn't show the smallest amount of hesitation.

I know he's seen slavery before in this world, maybe he even got more used to it off-screen, but the show still lost an opportunity to have grown up inner voice Rudeus chime in saying he wasn't a fan of this but "shikataganai" or something of the sort.

(btw it might seem like I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I am. It's disappointing, but not really too egreegious... well, unless they go for a Shield Hero Raphtalia kind of deal)
I get where you're coming from. I just feel like from Sylphie's perspective it is natural (especially from her experience with nobility) and Rudy is experienced enough to acknowledge it, even if they could've shown him be a little more hesitant or anxious about it.
Old 2023-08-13, 13:43   Link #186
Huh...?

To all who are complaining about the Slave Troupe & Rudy giving no reaction to the concept of Slavery.

You would have to remember that, Mushoku Tensei is actually quite an old series and is considered as the Grandfather of Isekai Genre. Meaning while we are seeing the slavery troupe being used here now (as the Anime adaptation was quite late), compared to other shows, it was actually the one of the initial ones to focus on it and most other series copied the aspect (but they got Anime adaptation before it).

As for why Rudy or his Inner voice didn't give any reaction to the Slavery concept.
Well it's primarily because he is used to it.
Plus complaining about it being morally wrong isn't going to work for him, as in his previous life it was because he questioned people about being morally wrong that he was heavily bullied and nothing was done against it. So, probably Rudy had already long back given up on what's morally wrong or right.
It is also the reason he never questioned Elinalise, as what she does is also morally wrong. Same goes for what Paul did or the people of Bores family did (like the Grandfather enjoying a beastman maid).

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-13, 14:37   Link #187
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
To all who are complaining about the Slave Troupe & Rudy giving no reaction to the concept of Slavery.

You would have to remember that, Mushoku Tensei is actually quite an old series and is considered as the Grandfather of Isekai Genre. Meaning while we are seeing the slavery troupe being used here now (as the Anime adaptation was quite late), compared to other shows, it was actually the one of the initial ones to focus on it and most other series copied the aspect (but they got Anime adaptation before it).
Demonstrably False.

These sets of novels (volumes 7+) are apparently from 2015 and later.

Sugar Apple Fairytale is from 2010, Shield Hero started around the same time as Mushoku Tensei did (2012-2013), Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World predates Mushoku Tensei by years.

Plenty other series out there had this as their central theme. By the time Mushoku Tensei got to it, it was an old concept. "Mushoku Tensei is the grandfather of [modern] Isekai," is such a poor excuse for the handful of times it has dreadful writing.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-13, 15:08   Link #188
magnuskn

Yeah, the slavery thing always is highly distasteful, wherever it crops up. While I can understand the justification for Rudeus not calling it out, even internally, i.e. he already has seen lots of during the first 13-14 years of his life, it's still a tired trope at this point and makes me groan with disappointment every time it crops up in an isekai anime and gets treated as no big thing. Yes, you can justify its inclusion even with real world history (slavery was only abolished in the west less than 200 years ago, after all), but then it should be shown in all its horror as well.
Old 2023-08-13, 16:27   Link #189
grecefar

I'm happy that rudeus is enjoying his time in the school after all that happen in his previous life, got some friends and learn new stuff. The ending showing what will be his group of friends, zenoba is funny and fitz being a bro until the reveal. It seems he will make friends with the beast girls in the next chapter.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-13, 17:10   Link #190
Strahan

As soon as they decided they need a slave, I thought to myself "oh great, here comes another multiple page spanning glut of slavery talk on AnimeSuki" lol. Slavery is shitty, but realistically what can Rudeus do about it? He doesn't have the funding to go buy up and free all the slaves in the world. He has to deal with the world he was given. He could aspire to take over a country and make a safe haven for people that is slavery free, but c'mon, that's not realistic either. At least he's able to change the life of one person. Of course, it has to be a cute girl lol.

If I were ever isekai'd to a similar world, I'd probably do the same thing. I may not be able to save everyone, but I could at least try to improve the lot of as many as I could.

Were I Rudeus, when Sylphy eventually reveals who she is I think I'd be a little irritated. In the prior ep when he meets her and she doesn't tell him, I suppose I could accept that as her being shocked about meeting him and taken aback. But now time has passed and they're hanging out a lot. I can't fathom why the big secret. Is she just waiting to see if he ever puts two and two together?

It'd be funny if she starts ramping up the hints like "hey Rudeus, I'm thinking about dying my hair green. How do you think I'd look?"

Oh and on the topic of the slave, just having dexterous fingers doesn't mean squat as far as talent. It'd be funny if it turns out she's a shit artist. That'd be a good test of his character re slavery; does he consign the poor girl back to the slave market when he realizes she can't do the one thing they bought her for, or keep her anyway so she can have a better life? I'd certainly hope the latter.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-13, 18:21   Link #191
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Did Rudeus make a genderbent figure of himself?

Quote:
I'm honestly super disappointed. I liked how the opening song served as a way to ease you into the episode. It might be my nostalgia from ARIA speaking though. I wish more shows did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
Demonstrably False.

These sets of novels (volumes 7+) are apparently from 2015 and later.

Sugar Apple Fairytale is from 2010, Shield Hero started around the same time as Mushoku Tensei did (2012-2013), Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World predates Mushoku Tensei by years.

Plenty other series out there had this as their central theme. By the time Mushoku Tensei got to it, it was an old concept. "Mushoku Tensei is the grandfather of [modern] Isekai," is such a poor excuse for the handful of times it has dreadful writing.
Even if he had been right, "Mushoku Tensei did it first" is not a good excuse. If anything, that would make it worse since it would mean it's the series this shitty trope originated from.

Personally, I've come to a point where I just roll with it. I haven't watched that show but it's not as bad as Harem in the Labyrinth where my understanding is that the protagonist buys the chick so she can be his sex slave. Compared to this, it feels like Rudeus just gave an innocent child a second chance at life. He's educating her and teaching her magic, and her main task will be to make figures for Zanoba to fap to, it's a better life than she would have probably had elsewhere. That said, Rudeus expressing disgust seeing all those enslaved children would have gone a long way. Instead it felt like he was just shopping for a new phone.
Old 2023-08-13, 19:44   Link #192
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Personally, I've come to a point where I just roll with it. I haven't watched that show but it's not as bad as Harem in the Labyrinth where my understanding is that the protagonist buys the chick so she can be his sex slave. Compared to this, it feels like Rudeus just gave an innocent child a second chance at life. He's educating her and teaching her magic, and her main task will be to make figures for Zanoba to fap to, it's a better life than she would have probably had elsewhere. That said, Rudeus expressing disgust seeing all those enslaved children would have gone a long way. Instead it felt like he was just shopping for a new phone.
Maybe this was a sequence where they should've been a bit less subtle...
Old 2023-08-13, 20:28   Link #193
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
I haven't watched that show but
Well there's your first problem. Harem in the Labyrinth's slave problem is probably in a better situation than Mushoku's.

Quote:
it's not as bad as Harem in the Labyrinth where my understanding is that the protagonist buys the chick so she can be his sex slave.
Your understanding is only half right:

Spoiler for Other show:
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-13, 22:43   Link #194
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
you can justify its inclusion even with real world history (slavery was only abolished in the west less than 200 years ago, after all), but then it should be shown in all its horror as well.
Mhh, why? fiction everywhere depicts less than savory themes in whatever tone the author wants (from dramatical to comical); murder, rape, child labor, organized crime. I just feel like someone in the first world (guilty feeling much?) decided slavery was not in vogue anymore. If you ask me, organized crime is a lot less savory theme, which I see pop quite frequently and it is something I see my country suffer from constantly. Slavery? That is in the school history books, if at all, not something we suffer since it was abolished only eight years after we gained independence, not 88.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-14, 00:40   Link #195
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Mhh, why? fiction everywhere depicts less than savory themes in whatever tone the author wants (from dramatical to comical); murder, rape, child labor, organized crime. I just feel like someone in the first world (guilty feeling much?) decided slavery was not in vogue anymore. If you ask me, organized crime is a lot less savory theme, which I see pop quite frequently and it is something I see my country suffer from constantly. Slavery? That is in the school history books, if at all, not something we suffer since it was abolished only eight years after we gained independence, not 88.
I'm not sure what the argument you are making is here? "Organized crime is more recent to me, therefore it is more horrible than slavery, because that happened long ago"? History books and personal accounts of what exactly happened to people in slavery exist, you know.

And aside from that, the very concept of "owning another person" is disgusting and horrible in of itself. The abolishment of slavery is one of the greatest achievements humanity has managed in the modern age. And, yes, in some countries people still live in "unofficial slavery", which should be prosecuted by the international community. However no country on Earth officially allows slavery anymore, which is unequivocally a good thing.

And this is also the reason why people always react so negatively when another isekai anime casually introduces slavery as no big thing. It seems the Japanese writers just don't get why this would be such an unpopular concept.
Old 2023-08-14, 01:29   Link #196
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I'm not sure what the argument you are making is here? "Organized crime is more recent to me, therefore it is more horrible than slavery, because that happened long ago"? History books and personal accounts of what exactly happened to people in slavery exist, you know.
It is totally irrelevant whether there are extensive accounts about slavery or not, I bet you can use the fingers of your hand to name people you know that have read them.

Quote:
And aside from that, the very concept of "owning another person" is disgusting and horrible in of itself. The abolishment of slavery is one of the greatest achievements humanity has managed in the modern age.
You are quite mistaken (but you are only one of many), slavery hasn't really been purged from the human soul (or DNA, whichever you think justifies the change), it merely became outdated. The simple reasons it is no longer is common as dirt is due to the invention of machines , first the steam engine all the way to the electric motor. Having slaves is a hassle that is no longer worth it, but if a worldwide electromagnetic pulse pushes civilization a few centuries back, you can bet the next day slavery would return as if it had never left.

Quote:
And this is also the reason why people always react so negatively when another isekai anime casually introduces slavery as no big thing. It seems the Japanese writers just don't get why this would be such an unpopular concept.
The reason some people react adversely to it is because their societies still feel the lingering effects of said slavery. Countries where said scars healed long ago see it as mere phantasy, no different from a film or videogame where violence is played, no one expects said person to go kick or shoot someone in real life just because s/he say it on a screen or read it on a book.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-14, 02:08   Link #197
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
It is totally irrelevant whether there are extensive accounts about slavery or not, I bet you can use the fingers of your hand to name people you know that have read them.

You are quite mistaken (but you are only one of many), slavery hasn't really been purged from the human soul (or DNA, whichever you think justifies the change), it merely became outdated. The simple reasons it is no longer is common as dirt is due to the invention of machines , first the steam engine all the way to the electric motor. Having slaves is a hassle that is no longer worth it, but if a worldwide electromagnetic pulse pushes civilization a few centuries back, you can bet the next day slavery would return as if it had never left.

The reason some people react adversely to it is because their societies still feel the lingering effects of said slavery. Countries where said scars healed long ago see it as mere phantasy, no different from a film or videogame where violence is played, no one expects said person to go kick or shoot someone in real life just because s/he say it on a screen or read it on a book.
Okay, sure, edgy boy. ^^
Old 2023-08-14, 04:57   Link #198
SidVicious
Anime addict

People overerreacting as usual.
Old 2023-08-14, 06:32   Link #199
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Nice episode. I thought that ending might be positive but upon reflection, I think this might be the second coming of the Shield Hero premiere due to the trio buying the slave. Sure, Rudeus will teach her to make her more independent but for now the child will kinda like the young Raphtalia.
Old 2023-08-15, 02:27   Link #200
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

What gets to me is how not only is it hard to stomach, but how utterly pointless it is, id be willing to bet good money that the child and zenoba both mean absolutely jackshit in the grand scheme of things of the shows plotline, remove both of them and im sure no one would even notice.

Tags
fantasy, isekai