AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-02-11, 13:07   Link #41
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
I guessing it's due to slime being considered weak creatures in this world, and that her having one as a partner would cause the people to realize that Ivy is a 0-star tamer, with her fearing that they will react the same way the scum that are the people in her home village did.
thing is we already saw in episode 1 of a Tamer that had a group of slimes with him. And considering her age, I don't think people would expect her to have an army of tamed monsters either. So having just one atm won't be an issue. And if it is a rare slime that she had to look up in a book to even know of, I think people would just see it as a random slime.
Old 2024-02-12, 23:27   Link #42
Alchemist007
*Author

If the city guards cared less, I feel like staying outside the city with a big cat guard might've been the safer option.
Old 2024-02-13, 18:44   Link #43
Strahan

Yea, Ciel would be a good guard plus I feel bad for the big kitty having to be ditched heh. Some of the jerks got away; I wonder if the writer is going to use them in the next ep to cause problems for her again.

I can't even remember the name of her original town; was it the name she gave the captain when he asked? If so, seems kinda silly to use your actual hometown name when you are wanted.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-16, 20:38   Link #44
Strahan

When the bank had that blood ID thing, I thought ahh that's how the nice guy guards are going to learn about her; it'd show a girl named Femicia. I was surprised it said Ivy. If I were her, I'd just stay in this town. During the flashback the old lady even said stay if you find a nice place. Makes me want to go read ahead as I'm impatient to see how it goes, but I'm resisting the urge as it's more enjoyable to not know when watching heh.
Old 2024-02-16, 21:36   Link #45
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
When the bank had that blood ID thing, I thought ahh that's how the nice guy guards are going to learn about her; it'd show a girl named Femicia. I was surprised it said Ivy. If I were her, I'd just stay in this town. During the flashback the old lady even said stay if you find a nice place. Makes me want to go read ahead as I'm impatient to see how it goes, but I'm resisting the urge as it's more enjoyable to not know when watching heh.
FWIW I did read ahead some but the anime should catch up with the manga within the next couple of episodes.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-16, 21:50   Link #46
HandofFate

I would think the blood thing would give gender as well as her age. Maybe it did, but the captain is actually smart, so maybe he hid his reaction to that. Though imo, Ivy doesn't do a good job at pretending to be a boy at all lol.
Old 2024-02-18, 16:06   Link #47
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That village has gotten exactly what it deserved. They followed that psycho straight to the abyss and that's on them. No surprise that things spiraled out of hand there. Sucks for the Fortune Teller if she really died because that idiot refused to get her help. Although she was getting up there in age. Sooner or later they were going to have a problem. Not finding a new fortune teller that could apprentice until the time was right to take over was a huge miss. They had to know she wouldn't live forever and what that would do for the crops...

I do like that the guards were able to piece a few things together. It makes sense considering their position. But they also get that she's got her reasons for keeping secrets. They may not suspect that she's got 0 stars, but obviously these guys wouldn't be more than simply surprised at that. I do hope that someday (though obviously won't be during this anime) that she'll come back more confident and willing to tell them.
Old 2024-02-18, 20:26   Link #48
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'm kind of disappointed in myself for waiting this long to watch this. It's a real gem.

Someone previously expressed apprehension that she'd forgive her family if they met again, but honestly I'd kind of prefer that. Most series I've seen where the hero(ine) is hurt or rejected, the person hurt is never shown again. If they are, they're usually stubborn and continue to treat the hero like the cause of their troubles, or before they have a chance the hero finds a way to seek revenge at all costs. It's frankly a rare thing in my experience for the people that betrayed a person to express remorse or receive forgiveness. This doesn't mean I want her to move back in with them or something, but some degree of acceptance of their regret and reconciliation would still be nice. It'd also be good for her, since she's clearly terrified people will treat her that way the moment they find out about her stars; if the people who betrayed her first and in the cruelest way apologize, even just one of them, it might give her the hope to trust others once more. My bet would be if only one of them regrets it, it'd be the sister (the image shown while they talked of people who defied the village head and were kicked out suggests to me that there's at least some possibility of her having rebelled); if only one refuses to repent, it'd be the father.

On a different note, that bit a few eps back was pretty blatant, about great disaster and the world being saved by a person from another world. I'd be willing to bet that the part she doesn't remember is that that person was also starless. I'd guess she was sent over by the gods to avert some recurring disaster, that any special power she may have is either sealed or only applicable to the situation that'll come soon, and thus that her lack of stars is kind of a mark identifying her as the one able to avert this disaster. Would take some work to make it believable, especially if the story is remembered in full, but one might even be able to make it so that the original story of a rare starless one saving the world from a great catastrophe somehow morphed into a starless one having caused the catastrophe, especially with the added prejudice born from low counts meaning limited ability.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-19, 02:56   Link #49
Alchemist007
*Author

She befriended the big cat and slime pretty easily, wondering if she really even is a zero star, or how powerful a 3 star would be in comparison.
Old 2024-02-19, 07:36   Link #50
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
She befriended the big cat and slime pretty easily, wondering if she really even is a zero star, or how powerful a 3 star would be in comparison.
Befriending is different from Taming.
It's basically the difference between being friendly with a wild cat, and owning a pet cat.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-24, 20:32   Link #51
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Someone previously expressed apprehension that she'd forgive her family if they met again, but honestly I'd kind of prefer that.
If they were just assholes to her, sure. I'd agree. But they literally formed a lynch mob to hunt down and murder a child. Bad enough for the villagers, but the family (at least some) were fine with it.

Some crimes, like filicide, are too heinous to ever be forgiven.
Old 2024-02-25, 01:37   Link #52
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

So finally we got to see Ivy encounter those guys from the OP. Will see what happens, but if she can stick with and open up to this bunch that would be a huge thing for her. Obviously she's not completely alone with the monster companions she's gained along the way. But it should would be good for her mental health to be able to relax a little bit. A feeling of home and family is a precious thing. And since they are from the place she's going to...that does up the chances of them being a constant presence for her going forward.

Considering Ivy's mentality I'm sure she probably would forgive her family. But that's partly why I'd hope for her not to cross paths with them for a long time. Obviously there's a debate on whether it's better for her to cross that bridge or not. Obviously I would prefer that whole village get a Pompeii treatment. But that's me. I can't really impose my dislike of her family onto her.

As for this episode, it was a good one. I'm glad Ciel is alright. A difficult thing that Ivy couldn't check on that. And I'm definitely worried about what kind of crazy entity is after her. Something I presume that knows how unusual Ivy is. Regardless that's someone she can't deal with by herself...On the positive side, Ivy could have a great character in creating firework shows . Her life experience from Earth really paid off this time!

I like this bunch of adventurers. A good group of goofballs. And they aren't exactly stupid. Didn't take long to get a decent read on parts of Ivy's mentality. They know where she's from and can at least guess at what's gone on considering her behavior. A terrible fear of not being useful to those around her and obviously the consequences of that. And there's obviously worry. Even though they are misled as to her gender she is certainly not as healthy as possible considering the way she's had to live since being chased out of her home.

I'm enjoying where we are at and where the story could go from here.
Old 2024-02-25, 02:11   Link #53
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

For someone who's a zero-star tamer, she's doing a pretty good job of taming all the adults she comes across.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-25, 13:31   Link #54
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
If they were just assholes to her, sure. I'd agree. But they literally formed a lynch mob to hunt down and murder a child. Bad enough for the villagers, but the family (at least some) were fine with it.

Some crimes, like filicide, are too heinous to ever be forgiven.
Not sure about the manga, but the anime has it that the village chief formed that mob. And if it was her family in the manga/LN, I'm still pretty sure it was at most her father, not her whole family. And anyway there are levels of forgiveness. It doesn't mean "oh it's all good, we can go back to being family again!" But letting go of the pain and the grudges, accepting another party's remorse and that they have changed or are working to change, is a very healthy thing. And yeah, depending on how far the person went at the start and how deeply they show their remorse now, even a willingness to try and make something new with SOME of them might be acceptable. It all varies dependent on many points. The sister, for example, did turn her back on her but wasn't shown to be involved with the mob, and her being displayed at the moment when the clerk mentioned people being exiled for disagreeing with the village chief makes me think that she might have changed her mind and even taken a stand. If a fellow child turned her back while she was abandoned, then regretted her actions and chose to let herself be abandoned as well rather than side with the people that sought murder, I'd be willing to take some degree of reconciliation.

What matters more to me is the remorse on the family's side. The MC seeing those that hurt her hurt themselves is all well and good, but I find it far more satisfying when a character's abusers learn to regret their actions or even invite abuse against themselves (like in Mushoku Tensei when the beastfolk that were cruelest to Rudy rolled on their back and begged for punishment after learning his innocence, or the baqseball player from Accel World who beat Haru when he thought he'd planted cameras in the girls' room, traumatizing his girlfriend, only to bow and beg Haru to beat him up when he found out he had nothing to do with it).
Old 2024-02-29, 23:28   Link #55
Manabu

HA! She getting caught in the trap this episode is karmic retribution for making that guy fall in her trap last episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think we can just sum it up as everyone sucking. People are influenced by circumstances and environment. But in the end the father still turned on his 5 year old child...that's just inexcusable.
Actually, she might not actually be his child, as he started suspecting. Maybe the mother jumped the fence, that could explain the cursed child. Just imagine raising a kid till 5 years old and then discovering she is starless and not even your kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Village chief can also be tossed in a volcano with him. But I'd say it's with and not instead of. Mother might be the least trash due to some inkling of maternal affection. But honestly just wipe the whole village off the map. When one fortune teller is the only decent human being it's not a great look.
I agree that the starless Femicia can't be counted as a decent human being, but just imagine how many other innocent "femicias" are in that village, suffering due to the continued existence of that starless. And now even the merchants are spreading vile rumours about the village. No wonder people are fleeing the village trying to escape the curse.

Ok, now seriously:

This anime is probably my favourite new one from the season and a nice surprise, as with the title I wasn't expecting much. It is also undoubtelly the best tsuihoumono I've seen, as that genre is basically all trash. But it seems exactly what it says in the tin. She indeed has very little magic power, I doubt there was an error in her star assessment.

When I saw the big cat in the opening I was afraid the anime would betray the "weakest tamer" theme, but not so. Ciel is too strong for her taming magic, so it isn't officially tamed. So she can't bring it into cities where she is mostly defenceless still. And this episode showed that even in the woods she isn't perfectly protected as Ciel still fights as it fighted solo, leaving her alone. It still is keeping this tension, underdog sentiment and at the same time yashikei vibes from the first episode, that was pretty good start for the series and representative of what to expect.

The isekaied person inside her head is mostly useless as she herself says, but I guess their moral support was important for Ivy survive the way she did after being cast away, and that joke of the alarm clock was great so I will forgive their existence. The fireworks thing this episode was pretty unnecessary however...

She is still very scarred, and I like that aspect of the story too. Captain Oggto got father-zoned that night where he ruffed her hair and eat the Nonoshi meat with her, and that is not a very nice place in Ivy's memories. That and the trauma of the star number is probably why she left the village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I would think the blood thing would give gender as well as her age. Maybe it did, but the captain is actually smart, so maybe he hid his reaction to that. Though imo, Ivy doesn't do a good job at pretending to be a boy at all lol.
Well, up to now everybody thought she was a boy, so I would say she is doing a great job. The guards only suspected she was a girl because their information on the girl Femicia. I like the touch of she doing a deeper voice whenever she talks to someone, it's adorable. It seems the english dub dropped the ball on this detail, so this might be where you are coming from?

And about that evil presence she felt, at first I thought it might be some ogre mage, but now I think it might be someone that is controlling those monsters and is interested in her monsters.
Manabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-01, 14:01   Link #56
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabu View Post
Actually, she might not actually be his child, as he started suspecting. Maybe the mother jumped the fence, that could explain the cursed child. Just imagine raising a kid till 5 years old and then discovering she is starless and not even your kid.
While it's true there's no evidence that she is his child, there's also really no reason to believe she isn't. It doesn't look like skill star counts are hereditary, and skills themselves are only to a degree if at all. This is less a matter of "that kid has blue eyes! My wife cheated on me!" and more "There's no way I could produce disabled offspring, my wife must have cheated!" He's trying to protect his own ego by insisting that this situation came from infidelity rather than admitting that the rare starless came from his seed.
Old 2024-03-01, 15:02   Link #57
Manabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
While it's true there's no evidence that she is his child, there's also really no reason to believe she isn't. It doesn't look like skill star counts are hereditary, and skills themselves are only to a degree if at all. This is less a matter of "that kid has blue eyes! My wife cheated on me!" and more "There's no way I could produce disabled offspring, my wife must have cheated!" He's trying to protect his own ego by insisting that this situation came from infidelity rather than admitting that the rare starless came from his seed.
I was being factitious when I wrote that part.

It is indeed as you say. Even her eyes and hair colour are much more similar to the dad than the mother. It is safe to assume she is his real child.

Switch.

Maybe some of his paternal love came back after that night when he was too shocked and emotional processing the news of her being starless. When we last saw him, he was acting with her happiness in mind, trying to return her to the gods. He wants to encounter her once again, but she cast aside her family and has no sign of going back. No trace of filial piety!

When she was 4 her dad said to her to eat lots and grow big and strong. She said she would, but in those 3~4 years she didn't keep her word. Her growth seems quite stunted as everyone thinks she is 6 or 7 years old, not almost 9. It is clear who is the most virtuous. tsk tsk.
Manabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-02, 14:50   Link #58
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Good on Ivy. I'm glad she did gather up some courage to speak up. Of course it helped that they bridged the gap. Put some trust in Ivy and that allowed her to reveal some things. Obviously she hasn't opened the whole door to her past, her stars, etc. But that's still a really big step for her and one that should connect to the future. A group that has the ability to be there for her and should allow her to steadily grow.

Part of me would have wondered if the slime Tamer would just make Sora uneasy in general since she's a reasonably strong Tamer . But I suppose it does make sense that Sora saw through the danger. Not sure yet if Meela was absolutely the one that chased down Ivy earlier. But it's probably the case since the auras matched up to Ivy's senses.

Good episode .
Old 2024-03-03, 20:58   Link #59
Strahan

It's nice to see her circle of trusted friends grow. I bet they'll be really shocked when they find out that Sora can heal people.

As to the five year old infidelity thing, one would hope that if you find out a child you've raised from birth for the last five years isn't yours, you don't immediately throw them out. You still loved and raised the child, and most normal people don't just "turn off" love. It'd be pretty heinous to cast off a kid for something out of their control. Even worse to stay passive while people want to kill them.

I guess I can see what you're saying BW, at least having contrition shows some growth but man.. it'd be really hard for me to stomach heh. The "beat me up" example though I would find less meaningful than someone just apologizing. If someone said that to me, I'd think of it as them wanting an easy means of escaping guilt. Like "well, I let him punch me so we're even now, no worries". That's too simplistic for me to credit them with actually wanting to make things right.

Anyway, I wonder if she'll also come clean about her gender with them at some point. Also I'd suggest that maybe they can setup a sting. Keep tabs on Me.. err something-or-other (I forgot her name lol) suspicious tamer girl and then let Ivy go somewhere seemingly alone near her and see if she makes a move. Easy way to get solid evidence. Though I'm sure they wouldn't be comfortable putting Ivy in that situation.
Old 2024-03-03, 23:30   Link #60
Alchemist007
*Author

The guards from the last town figured out her gender, I wonder if this group has too (besides the guy still calling her a little brother).

Tags
outcast, young heroine