AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-05-06, 18:14   Link #181
grecefar

I'm happy that Mio got rid of Illumgand, I'm grateful for it. He was manipulated?, yeah right.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-06, 19:44   Link #182
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I'm happy that Mio got rid of Illumgand, I'm grateful for it. He was manipulated?, yeah right.
I mean, he was, even if he sought out the performance enhancers himself and let his feelings get away from him, but he was still being used.
Old 2024-05-07, 00:40   Link #183
Tenzen12

Honestly even if he was in right mind whole time not affected by drug, he would still deserve better ending than that.
Old 2024-05-07, 00:59   Link #184
scififan

The beginning conversation shows Makoto is going turn the world(governed by the goddess) upside down. Right now, Makoto is keeping a low profile. The goddess still has the upper hand in power, but the world is somewhat mess up. Since Makoto doesn't find any friendly nation to keep his company undercover, he intends to build one. Makoto negotiates peace with the demon general. Still, the demon general cross over the line. Makoto is going to make her feel regret. He doesn't care about Illumgand. Illumgand is annoying, but he is harmless in front of Makoto. Instead targeting the culprit, Mio vents out her unahappiness to Illumgand.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-07, 13:20   Link #185
Fwarlord

I don't know how to think about it. When the student who turned into monster and was thought to have been killed started to regenerate and eas not evil anymore, it's a sign of redemption. He even wanted to help people but Mio just killef him because she's still mad that while he was being manipulated he said mean things about "master". She wouldn't accept any apology or forgivenes while the music was trying to paint the scene as if Mio did some heroic/good thing
Is this like a cultural difference between Japanese and westerners? These last few episodes have just felt really strange, where they are actively not helping/preventing people from dying and just kinda loafing around, and refusing to help people despite internal monologues saying they COULD help. And the music/framing is painting them as "the good guys" despite this.
Old 2024-05-07, 13:21   Link #186
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah that was...unpleasant. Probably the lowest moment for Mio. And that's saying something considering her and Tomoe pretty much wasted a whole town in the first season during a competitive spat between them.

Illumgand was a jerk, but that was over the top. Made some rather poor choices, but honestly think he got enough of a hit for that with everything that occurred.

I don't know. Episode left a bad taste in my mouth. But that's kind of been the case for this second season. The show had a good stride going for it, but this one has been nothing but stumbling around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwarlord View Post
I don't know how to think about it. When the student who turned into monster and was thought to have been killed started to regenerate and eas not evil anymore, it's a sign of redemption. He even wanted to help people but Mio just killef him because she's still mad that while he was being manipulated he said mean things about "master". She wouldn't accept any apology or forgivenes while the music was trying to paint the scene as if Mio did some heroic/good thing
Is this like a cultural difference between Japanese and westerners? These last few episodes have just felt really strange, where they are actively not helping/preventing people from dying and just kinda loafing around, and refusing to help people despite internal monologues saying they COULD help. And the music/framing is painting them as "the good guys" despite this.
Yeah, it's been an odd one. They are certainly as bad as anyone else in all this. There's no moral high ground for Makoto's side over humanity or the demons. Just kind of floating around according to their whims
Old 2024-05-07, 13:42   Link #187
Frontier

Quote:
I think it's more just a rejection of the notion of an Isekai protagonist being a "goody two-shoes" where Makoto is basically only it for his own self-interest and in the interest of his companions and associates, and the people closest to him only really care about him.

Nothing else really matters to them, morally or ethically.
Old 2024-05-08, 10:09   Link #188
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Revisited the scene just to assess your claim that "the music was trying to paint the scene as if Mio did some heroic/good thing". Personally, the music was not of that heroic/good thing type to me. It was just dramatic finality.

Quote:
Overall, I don't think it is a cultural difference between Japanese and Westerners. In my view, this is very much based on your projections and expectations of what YOU want the main character and the show to be. The story and plot laid out and build up to this point is showing you that the main character is not about heroism and moral righteousness. Remember that main character was initially brought into that world to be a hero but was abandoned to the wasteland by the same goddess that summoned him to be a hero. He is under no obligation to be a hero. The story has developed along those lines. Furthermore, it is also an active disregard of what the main character and his followers have decided to do in the previous episode (Episode 17) - let the situation play out and they will only act at a certain juncture so that they can derive maximum benefit from the situation.

What you have in mind is that the main character and his followers being so overpowered that they MUST act as saviours when they are under absolutely no obligation to do so. In real life, people will only take care of their immediate family, close friends, and only until a certain degree of separation that they feel is within their respective senses of reason. This is unlike the trope of heroism/saviour complex that is commonly found in the usual isekai stories. That said, there are 2 "heroes" in that world - Hibiki and Tomoki. Hibiki is the hero trope that you're looking for. Makoto isn't a hero nor does he set himself as hero nor does he do heroic deeds.

Rather than expecting to force-fit this trapezoid shape of a show into the square peg of your projections and expectations, watch it with an understanding of the main character and his motivations as shown so far.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-08, 14:29   Link #189
Tenzen12

To put it simply Makoto doesn't care. He doesn't care if 5 die and he wouldn't care if 5 milions hyumans died as long as Asora is fine that's all that matters.
Old 2024-05-08, 15:20   Link #190
kagato3

First Mio isn't good, she's a literal embodiment of entropy that most of the time is not capable of reason due to the need to feed and left to her own ends will eat the planet. Her value system is little by beyond that of an animal.

Second Makoto isn't a hero and has been soured by this world in general.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-13, 10:41   Link #191
Frontier

Oh NOW it's time to finally act? About time .

Though Makoto isn't about to throw his students into the maw, thinking they're safer staying behind on defense. Plus, Aqua and Eris are there for backup .

Well, yeah, when they finally put their mind to it they can just casually stroll through town and just kill any demons that come their way, no problem. Barely an inconvenience .

Seeing Zara again is probably the last thing Makoto wanted, but he's pulled an about face now that he has a better understanding of Makoto's true power and influence, and that he owes him a bit for his safety. Plus he and Rembrandt are old pals and "Pat" knows how to push Zara's buttons, so he's definitely not the same intimidating figure Makoto dealt with before. Just don't leave him alone with Mio .

It's not like they're taking this seriously, so why not make it a game between Shiki and Mio over who can kill more mutants and get a prize from Makoto? Just look at how giddy Mio is .

Rembrandt and Zara were once naive idealists who believed in selling the best to people at affordable prices, but the reality of merchant life and what war cost them hardended them. Yet in Makoto they see a new, lucrative, opportunity, one that could turn them against the Goddess but reap more rewards than they could possibly imagine. Though I probably didn't want to know that Shifu looks like Zara's old flame which is why he's fond of her .

Poor Tomoe didn't get in on the "get a reward from Makoto" game .

Mondo wrestling mutants and turning them into trees! And teaming-up with Lime !

Headmaster getting unruly again? Perfect time for Aqua and Eris to don their leaf outfits and freeze the academy to protect it! Even though now they don't have a way to get out. Mondo is definitely going to scold them for this later .

A mastermind? Someone was collaborating with the demons? And Mio is going to take care of them? Hmmm .

Makoto makes a show of restoring telepathy, just in time for them to realize the Imperial and Royal capital are under attacks and this was all just a distraction. And Makoto is their best chance at getting back in time. Is this how Makoto meets the other Heroes ?
Old 2024-05-13, 20:40   Link #192
scififan

Makoto appears to get himself into situation he doesn't want to be. Due to the poor treatment of goddess, he almost got killed twice. He doesn't want to get involve with goddess's game. If he helps those kingdoms, he feels he is doing the favor to goddess. Of course, goddess doesn't think that way. So, Makoto is doomed to do her bidding. Maybe he will do something as he pleased someday. Also, the destruction of his store convinces him he will not be in a good term with the demon. He gets alone with other tribes. They find the sanctuary in his dimension and level up like crazy. The cleanup of the city chaos shows how great they have become.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-13, 20:46   Link #193
grecefar

nothing much to say, only curious about the mastermind. Everything else is just going smoothly for them.

I think I know what mio will ask for the bet.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-13, 21:40   Link #194
AndrewR5D4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Revisited the scene just to assess your claim that "the music was trying to paint the scene as if Mio did some heroic/good thing". Personally, the music was not of that heroic/good thing type to me. It was just dramatic finality.

Overall, I don't think it is a cultural difference between Japanese and Westerners. In my view, this is very much based on your projections and expectations of what YOU want the main character and the show to be. The story and plot laid out and build up to this point is showing you that the main character is not about heroism and moral righteousness. Remember that main character was initially brought into that world to be a hero but was abandoned to the wasteland by the same goddess that summoned him to be a hero. He is under no obligation to be a hero. The story has developed along those lines. Furthermore, it is also an active disregard of what the main character and his followers have decided to do in the previous episode (Episode 17) - let the situation play out and they will only act at a certain juncture so that they can derive maximum benefit from the situation.

What you have in mind is that the main character and his followers being so overpowered that they MUST act as saviours when they are under absolutely no obligation to do so. In real life, people will only take care of their immediate family, close friends, and only until a certain degree of separation that they feel is within their respective senses of reason. This is unlike the trope of heroism/saviour complex that is commonly found in the usual isekai stories. That said, there are 2 "heroes" in that world - Hibiki and Tomoki. Hibiki is the hero trope that you're looking for. Makoto isn't a hero nor does he set himself as hero nor does he do heroic deeds.

Rather than expecting to force-fit this trapezoid shape of a show into the square peg of your projections and expectations, watch it with an understanding of the main character and his motivations as shown so far.
We can't discuss her future plot involvement on this thread, but let me give you a heads-up on her personality: Hibiki is actually a narcissist who sees people around her in terms of how she can use them to achieve her own goals.

Last edited by AndrewR5D4; 2024-05-14 at 14:50.
AndrewR5D4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-13, 22:12   Link #195
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR5D4 View Post
Hahahahaha! We can't discuss her future plot involveemnt on this thread, but let me give you a heads-up on her personality: Hibiki is actually a narcissist who sees people around her in terms of how she can use them to achieve her own goals. She favors the hyumans because they are the majority race and believes if the other races must be enslaved or die for world peace, then so be it. Because she was gifted with beauty, wealth, and talent; Hibiki's life was always easy. As somebody who always had everything, she cannot see the world from the viewpoint of the oppressed.

The war began because of the Goddess spreading her toxic beliefs that all non-hyumans are ugly and deserve to be enslaved or killed. Most demi-hyumans simply avoided conflict, but the demons fought back, and over the years became just as cruel if not worse than their oppressors. Hibiki believes that wiping out the demons will end the war, and keeping the demi-humans as slaves will bring peace, and maybe years later the demi-humans will eventually gain their freedom as society changes...

She is charming and heroic on the surface, because she uses her charisma to warp the perceptions of others to her advantage. She's openly less of a jerk than Tomoki, but in my opinion, far more dangerous in that she knows how to manipulate people while projecting an earnest demeanor.
I don't think that's really been conveyed at all in the anime. Well, maybe from the get-go but I feel like her experience as an adventurer and losing Naval changed her a lot.
Old 2024-05-14, 01:25   Link #196
Huh...?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-14, 02:47   Link #197
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR5D4 View Post
Hahahahaha! We can't discuss her future plot involveemnt on this thread, but let me give you a heads-up on her personality: Hibiki is actually a narcissist who sees people around her in terms of how she can use them to achieve her own goals.<snipped the rest>
I am well aware of who Hibiki is since I have read the webnovel some time back. However at this stage of the story in the anime, we are not privy to all that you have posted since she only elaborates her viewpoints and opinions on the war and how to resolve it a bit after the events that will be covered in Season 2. Thus, your elaboration is very much spoiler. At this current juncture, she is following the hero trope, especially so, if the show were just to mainly follow Hibiki's exploits.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-14, 04:13   Link #198
Tenzen12

It's also not quite acurate. Giving false spoiler is not any better than giving actual spoilers. I will not elaborate.
Old 2024-05-14, 08:08   Link #199
Fwarlord

But doesn't our history prove that Hibiki is kinda right in that slaves will eventually gain rights and freedom as society processing, meaning a bloody war to achieve all that is basically meaningless, and ending this war with as little blood as possible will benefit everyone in the end?
Old 2024-05-14, 13:16   Link #200
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Shiki reacting like Shiki would to that intro .

Looks like Makoto is all set to be the hero...and he finally gets summoned to meet the Goddess again .
Quote:
But doesn't our history prove that Hibiki is kinda right in that slaves will eventually gain rights and freedom as society processing, meaning a bloody war to achieve all that is basically meaningless, and ending this war with as little blood as possible will benefit everyone in the end?
I'm suddenly reminded of how Realist Hero handled slavery .