AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 12 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 32.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 32.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-25, 22:52   Link #101
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Sure, translation notes should be avoided where possible, but...
Spoiler for broken pun:
I groaned.
Next time I visit afk's website I'll be sure to set my browser to reject sausages.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-26, 00:18   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for broken pun:
I groaned.
Um... ouch... thats worth a 3v2 re-release all by itself it makes so little sense without a footnote.
Old 2007-04-26, 00:32   Link #103
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Spoiler for broken pun:
I groaned.
That sounds like the kind of concotion I would whip up for breakfast. I just eat whatever is available most of the time since my parents never seem to have any food in the house.
Old 2007-04-26, 01:33   Link #104
Diedrupo

the dragon quest reference was awesome

Quote:
School: UH OH! They are talking about Dragon Quest V. I haven't played the game, but the spells a clearly Healmore and Explodet that they are censoring. Speaking of which the trademark (BEEP) has showed up in this show now. Apparently you can't say Gundam or anything copyrighted by Square Enix anymore on television unless you secure the rights. In fact most of the references in this scene are censored quite a bit.
Behoimi and that other spell (can't recall it right now) are in every DQ game, not just V. Though it is odd that they were censored given that almost every japanese person knows the basic DQ spells. I've heard that school kids back in the 90s would even say 'hoimi' instead of the normal japanese words for healing or curing something.
Old 2007-04-26, 02:18   Link #105
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep03:
---- ----
  • I am in admiration of Stratos' ability to convey Japanese cultural context into western-style humour. While some of the jokes have been "radically" altered in meaning, taking the subtitles alone, the punchline is still effective (most of the time). Problems arise however, when I am (ironically) clueless about the context he decided to use instead (since I am quite weak on "American Culture").
  • His usage of one-egg, two-egg is actually an effective way to substitute for the identical/fraternal twins issue (I personally thought it was inspired), since it avoids the need for a footnote-layover. It allowed him to set up for the "egg" joke without distracting the viewer with 3rd-party footnotes.

Too bad he couldn't find a way to associate the black and white soul part into something. I thought of black and white soles (the fish), but that pun might seem a bit too lame.
  • Quote:
    Konata: "Tsukasa is laid-back... but Kagami is pretty psycho."
    Did she really say that? The sudden appearance of the word, "psycho", caught me by surprise. It has never occured to me to use that word to describe Kagami.
  • Reading the back and forth banter between Kagami and Konata was absolute bliss. They really are like an old married couple, where Kagami is the grumpy grandpa while Konata is the easy-going grandma.
  • Speaking of which, I kept thinking of that "Brokeback Mountain" line...
    Quote:
    Kagami: "I can't quit you!"

I think this might be the second time only that I am supporting a yuri-pairing.
  • Some of the better moments were when Konata questioned whether Kagami would have anyone to show off her swimsuit to. When Kagami made Konata eat her words on the issue of working for oneself. The "manliness" of Kagami in a ponytail. Etc...
  • Somebody please enlighten me on the joke behind the "Wards Against Rage". I was totally lost on the meaning and explanation behind it. Pregnancy? Traffic Accident? Huh?
  • Funny how they didn't just cameo the "Pani Poni Dash!" characters, but included the random scribblings on the blackboard as well.
  • Chair shuffling on Lucky Channel was win.
  • I am in the camp that didn't like Konata shifting to an utterly different voice for the Karaoke. It was just too drastic a change.
The absolute hilarity of the Kagami & Konata duo ensures an 08/10 for this episode.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-26, 03:20   Link #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
It's hard enough to sing in-character; singing well in-character is exceedingly hard and I've never heard any seiyu pull this off (if the character talks and sounds like an anime character rather than a real person that is).
Hayashibara Megumi usually does a pretty good job, IMHO. A good example would be from Slayers (I forgot which one), in one episode Lina sang a duet with Amelia. Her voice then is quite distinct from her normal singing voice--compare to the OP / ED, for instance.

Come to think of it, she hasn't had any significant roles for quite some time; did she retire or something?

Sakamoto Maaya's also pretty good, though it's more like the characters she plays sound like her, instead of the other way around.

Anyway, back to Lucky Star. Many have compared it to Azumanga Daioh, and that's what I thought too when I first start watching. But 3 episodes in now, I feel they're actually quite different. Azumanga would be more like Lucky Star if Osaka's the lead. Also, Azumanga's has a more ensemble cast, though maybe Lucky Star will move in that direction in future episodes as well.

I wish they would slow down a bit, too. The references and jokes are too dense. I had a hard time following the dialog, and had to re-watch parts several times--especially in ep. 3--and I still don't get everything...

...or perhaps I've just been rusty as I've been anime-free a few months now.

Last edited by 052569; 2007-04-26 at 03:40.
Old 2007-04-26, 03:41   Link #107
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
I think I prefer LC's sub over a.f.k for this episode.

Hayashibara Megumi still has some roles on major anime(when I mean major I meant anime which has more than 100 episodes)... such as Haibara Ai(Detective Conan), Musashi/Jessie(Pokemon)
Old 2007-04-26, 04:09   Link #108
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

* Reading the back and forth banter between Kagami and Konata was absolute bliss. They really are like an old married couple, where Kagami is the grumpy grandpa while Konata is the easy-going grandma.
Damn you Skane, you made me want to watch my Friends episodes again for the Chandler & Joey couple dynamic and homosexual understones.
Old 2007-04-26, 04:38   Link #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Finally, someone questions the nothing-but-murder-cases in Detective Conan.
Ooh, I just re-watched that part, and Konata was saying that following suspects is "thrill[ing] and suspense[ful]." I wonder if that's a reference to Conan's OP, Koi wa Thrill Shock Suspense.

Or going into darker territory, a reference to Illusion's Biko series...
Old 2007-04-26, 07:18   Link #110
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

Let me help: Nayuki-Jiggle = Ascaloth's old Nayuki avatar

Pert = Not-balloon-sized-that-bounces-all-over-the-place.

That help?

...why is everybody using me as an example lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Hey Vexx, are you scared of Nayuki fans doing something now that you've gone and spoiled the purity of the character a bit?
*cough* Pure?

Okay, I jest, but considering the kind of source material she originated from.....

By the way, about that last jab at you. I'll admit I went a little far there. These kinds of things happen when I'm no longer sure whether you're joking or serious.
Old 2007-04-26, 08:02   Link #111
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 052569 View Post
Come to think of it, she hasn't had any significant roles for quite some time; did she retire or something?
Answer: She turned 40 last month, she married and is now a mother of a child, and has a role in Detective Conan as Haibara Ai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Though it is odd that they were censored given that almost every japanese person knows the basic DQ spells.
Some sponsors are uptight about these things and it is my assumption that one of the sponsors (Kadokawa) wasn't too impressed on quoting spells from one of their rivals (Square/Enix). Then again, what is allowable and what isn't is basically up to who is providing the cash.

As for this:
Spoiler for broken pun:

I don't get it. There wasn't even a single reference to a black or white cookie in that scene.
Old 2007-04-26, 08:13   Link #112
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Could people stop perpetuating the myth that anyone other than Kyoto Animation, WOWOW, Kadokawa Shoten and a few other small name companies were involved in the production of FMP?Fumoffo and FMP!TSR. If you need proof that the production team between the first series and the two others are almost completely different, just compare and contrast the lists of names involved on ANN's entries for those series, particularly those involved in the creative process like director and script writers. Hell, Gatoh himself only had minor involvement in the creative process of the first series. And enough with the "Kyoto Animation didn't write FMP, therefore it isn't their series" crap. Kyoto Animation didn't write any of the original works on which their television series are based... they're all adaptations of novels and visual novels, with the exception of Lucky Star, which is based on a manga. The point is, FMP?F and FMP!TSR are just as much as much KyoAni productions as Haruhi and Kanon, and they're damn good ones as well, particularly TSR, which is their second best work to date, IMO. It's annoying to think that credit isn't going where credit is due.

Anyway, on topic. Decent ep, but I didn't think it was as funny as the last two. The first half in particular was a bit dry, I thought. Second half was slightly funnier, particular Konata's almost-subtle backhand of Tsukasa and the stuff relating to Miyuki (and her attractive moe-ness). But, overall, I think we've already seen better from this series.

ED song was good. Been a while since I heard that song.
Old 2007-04-26, 08:17   Link #113
GriS

The ignorance on reference to Cromartie High School, just before pani poni dash, is pretty much obvious in this thread I always loved it for its puns but I suppose all-boys series is a turn-off. Anyhow, Lucky Star Dash got me laughing along after unexpected cromartie show.

As for the rest, most are typically Konata x Kagami talks. Enjoyable but at some part it's getting stale.

Oh, how I remembered my habit of turning off the light even though my brother is reading inside the room I suppose it happens to majority of people before? Konata is an exception, probably because she is always the last one to leave?
Old 2007-04-26, 08:17   Link #114
arkon

Quote:
Spoiler for broken pun:
I groaned.
I don't know... I got it because of the usage of one-egg and two-egg twins in the subs so I didn't need a note to help me "get" that line. I'm still puzzled by the black and white cookies bit though... perhaps a misheard line or something?
Old 2007-04-26, 08:24   Link #115
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Some sponsors are uptight about these things and it is my assumption that one of the sponsors (Kadokawa) wasn't too impressed on quoting spells from one of their rivals (Square/Enix). Then again, what is allowable and what isn't is basically up to who is providing the cash.
So I guess the part in the manga where Konata and her Dad discussing about Gundams and the numerous sequels might not be animated ? Pity, that was one of my favourite joke in the series.
Old 2007-04-26, 08:28   Link #116
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
I don't know... I got it because of the usage of one-egg and two-egg twins in the subs so I didn't need a note to help me "get" that line. I'm still puzzled by the black and white cookies bit though... perhaps a misheard line or something?
same here, Sprint is probably referring to black and white cookies as broken pun. Perhaps, someone here can help to clear the confusion as I also watch away from keyboard subs
Old 2007-04-26, 08:31   Link #117
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Could people stop perpetuating the myth that anyone other than Kyoto Animation, WOWOW, Kadokawa Shoten and a few other small name companies were involved in the production of FMP?Fumoffo and FMP!TSR. If you need proof that the production team between the first series and the two others are almost completely different, just compare and contrast the lists of names involved on ANN's entries for those series, particularly those involved in the creative process like director and script writers. Hell, Gatoh himself only had minor involvement in the creative process of the first series. And enough with the "Kyoto Animation didn't write FMP, therefore it isn't their series" crap. Kyoto Animation didn't write any of the original works on which their television series are based... they're all adaptations of novels and visual novels, with the exception of Lucky Star, which is based on a manga. The point is, FMP?F and FMP!TSR are just as much as much KyoAni productions as Haruhi and Kanon, and they're damn good ones as well, particularly TSR, which is their second best work to date, IMO. It's annoying to think that credit isn't going where credit is due.

Anyway, on topic. Decent ep, but I didn't think it was as funny as the last two. The first half in particular was a bit dry, I thought. Second half was slightly funnier, particular Konata's almost-subtle backhand of Tsukasa and the stuff relating to Miyuki (and her attractive moe-ness). But, overall, I think we've already seen better from this series.

ED song was good. Been a while since I heard that song.
There were some names that were the same from all three series. Some weren't from Kyoto Animation or Gonzo, and I did compare and contrast the names for like 3 hours to find this out. However, I agree with your idea that it was Kyoto Animation primarily, Kadowaka, Wowow and some other companies who loaned out staff. Credit should be given to all of them.
Old 2007-04-26, 08:54   Link #118
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
There were some names that were the same from all three series. Some weren't from Kyoto Animation or Gonzo, and I did compare and contrast the names for like 3 hours to find this out. However, I agree with your idea that it was Kyoto Animation primarily, Kadowaka, Wowow and some other companies who loaned out staff. Credit should be given to all of them.
No, you weren't. You were giving credit to everyone but KyoAni.

Claiming Air being the first KyoAni work is not giving them credit for Fomoffu. Even more strangely, the same reason you reject Fomoffu could also be applied to Air, so you are contradicting yourself.

Enough is enough. Please look up Kadokawa and Wowow and find out what they really do for a living.

Wowow is a PAY-TV STATION. Kadokawa is a PUBLISHISHING COMPANY*. How could they loan staff to make an anime?

One offers funding/airspace, the other offers the franchise. KyoAni supplies the animation.

You once commented that I always have my thinking cap on; Perhaps there is a valid reason I am disagreeing with you?

*Kadokawa Pictures exist, but you can easily tell the Fomoffu credits was concerning Kadokawa Publishing rather than anything to do with Gamera the giant turtle.
Old 2007-04-26, 09:00   Link #119
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
[*] Konata has been in high school for ten years? Her father was going to buy her a Pippen or a 3D0.... But then they throw out PS2 which is an entirely different generation. Notice that there was no mention what she'd get for an "A".
Mr Izumi probably had a bishoujo game/visual novel in mind if his daughter ever gets an "A".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 052569 View Post
Ooh, I just re-watched that part, and Konata was saying that following suspects is "thrill[ing] and suspense[ful]." I wonder if that's a reference to Conan's OP, Koi wa Thrill Shock Suspense.

Or going into darker territory, a reference to Illusion's Biko series...
I must confess I was thinking of Biko as well when I heard Konata mentioned that. I still remember how frustratingly difficult that game can be, and I'm not just talking about trying to get to the "fun" parts, if you get what I mean.

(Speaking of which, that software company you've mentioned is gonna have a very awesome 3D game next month, erm, I think I'll stop here, as this IS a family forum, after all. )

Once again, the running joke of famous detectives always running into murder cases. Look no further at that other infamous series Kyo-Ani adapted last year for another mention of that joke.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...sland_Syndrome

Spoiler for Quote:

Once again, Akira-sama is something to behold of, she completely redefines the meaning of the term "loli", or "angry smoking loli", LOL. Simply my favourite segment of the show.
Old 2007-04-26, 09:10   Link #120
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.
[*]I am in admiration of Stratos' ability to convey Japanese cultural context into western-style humour. While some of the jokes have been "radically" altered in meaning, taking the subtitles alone, the punchline is still effective (most of the time). Problems arise however, when I am (ironically) clueless about the context he decided to use instead (since I am quite weak on "American Culture").
This is a problem I often have—sometimes I can only understand subs by listening to the original Japanese! Localisation is bad when you have an international audience.

Quote:
His usage of one-egg, two-egg is actually an effective way to substitute for the identical/fraternal twins issue (I personally thought it was inspired), since it avoids the need for a footnote-layover.
I disagree here since this is not a translation issue, it's an issue of whether people understand their own language, ie. the English terms "fraternal twins" and "identical twins". In general I am against including footnotes to explain the English terms, recent examples which bug me including LC explaining what a "pleated skirt" is (as if any anime fan wouldn't know that, given the ubiquity of girls in school uniforms!), and Doremi explaining what "eaves" are in Sola. (OTOH, major kudos to Doremi for subbing the audio drama at all!) If people don't know these terms, an English dictionary is only a couple of clicks away. Returning to the twins thing, it would suffice to use the commonplace term "non-identical twins" if "fraternal twins" is felt too obscure a term.

Quote:
Did she really say that? The sudden appearance of the word, "psycho", caught me by surprise. It has never occured to me to use that word to describe Kagami.
I can't quite make out what she actually says, my best wild guess is something like "kyouaku" (villainous, fiendish). LC go with "tomboy", JEEB say "violent".

Quote:
Somebody please enlighten me on the joke behind the "Wards Against Rage". I was totally lost on the meaning and explanation behind it. Pregnancy? Traffic Accident? Huh?
Sounds like another localisation issue. The terms Kagami actually mixed up when talking about charms were

厄除け [やくよけ] (yakuyoke): (n) warding off evil
自棄糞 [やけくそ] (yakekuso): (adj-na,n) desperation

LC: "speaking of which, we also have self-despair charm... oops I meant protection charm"
JEEB: "But to say, we have a 'burnt shit' amulet... I mean protecting amulet in here."

I have to say speedsubber LC are looking better and better the more I look at the competition...

One thing that neither LC nor JEEB translate is bushi (warrior), in reference to Kagami in a ponytail—is this a term I should have known? I don’t generally watch samurai type anime, maybe my otakuness needs topping up in this area.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Closed Thread