AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-08, 00:11   Link #2201
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
It's rather depressing to watch Banri as he goes trough a psycothic episode, and it left me wondering, why is it that when he get's all his memories, he get's lost and forgets the present? I mean, even Ghost Banri was aware of how much time had passed..
Someone mentioned that his condition resembled dissociative identity disorder moreso than actual amnesia, and I think they're right. It ties up the plot holes that mere amnesia would cause.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 00:20   Link #2202
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It was a tough episode seeing Banri having to face off with the most terrifying thing he could imagine. Just utter oblivion, disappearing, being replaced by the previous Banri and no one ever noticing. That'd make anyone run.

I can kind of wrap my head around what Kouko might be thinking. No lack of flaws for Kouko and she might be trying to convince herself that this is the best thing for them both. I can certainly see Banri getting replaced pretty soon by the previous Banri, Kouko being shown that recording by Chinami, and then having a big struggle at the end where Kouko has to try and pull Banri back. Perhaps gaining the complete Banri in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Just a theory, but it might be because Ghost Banri was a part of Banri's sub-conscious, meant to represent his lost memories and ultimately meant to steer him towards regaining them. Now that he's getting them back naturally, albeit haphazardly, Ghost Banri is no longer needed.
Certainly possible. Though I feel like whatever Ghost Banri was, he accepted his situation by the end. His negative actions that nearly lead to disaster and perhaps a realization seeing Banri facing his past that he wasn't going to get his wish of ending up with Linda. That guy just seemed like the negative sort that would simply accept oblivion.

Though in the end its almost like for all the frustration and annoyance Ghost Banri brought he was almost a wall that kept away the worst case scenario of total wipe. A very unsettling situation that Banri now has to face.
Old 2014-03-08, 01:05   Link #2203
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Someone mentioned that his condition resembled dissociative identity disorder moreso than actual amnesia, and I think they're right. It ties up the plot holes that mere amnesia would cause.
I guess his amnesia, and losing all the parts of his past that made him more weak and dependent on Linda, could have changed his identity enough that present Banri became a full-on different personality.

Past Banri and present Banri's have similarities, sure, but they also have plenty of differences. Not the least of which being present Banri having a requited love in contrast to past Banri's pretty much unrequited feelings .
Old 2014-03-08, 05:44   Link #2204
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I think a memory reset is going to happen soon....

I really love Banri's resolution... and how Yana-san and Nijigen-kun treated Banri is also wonderful

poor Oka-chan though... I think she would having a hard time since there isn't a clear solution for her feelings... Yana-san has forgotten his feeling toward her

the ending though.... surprising...
It's an obvious lie... but still painful
looking at preview, I could imagine Kouko suddenly turned back to Banri... take the ring.. and say "just kidding"
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 08:15   Link #2205
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
looking at preview, I could imagine Kouko suddenly turned back to Banri... take the ring.. and say "just kidding"
That would be so lame... But that preview really has me guessing about Takemiya's intentions for the ending.
Old 2014-03-09, 02:23   Link #2206
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Wow, it's really a shame... I just heard the full version of The World's End.

The latter 2/3s of the song sound SO much better than (and so different from) the snippet of the song that's used for the OP. =/ Really don't know what the heck the composer was thinking about.
Old 2014-03-09, 11:17   Link #2207
HandofFate

Golden Time's next episode previews are about the most vague uninformative clip montage I ever seen, I never really put much weight in them.
Old 2014-03-10, 23:36   Link #2208
RightSaidFred

Quote:
It's retrograde amnesia not dissociative identity disorder. Banri lost his memories. Do to his memory loss he assumed people were treating him differently and thus he felt he was a different person. He's the same person.
RightSaidFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-10, 23:40   Link #2209
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightSaidFred View Post
It's retrograde amnesia not dissociative identity disorder. Banri lost his memories. Do to his memory loss he assumed people were treating him differently and thus he felt he was a different person. He's the same person.
That's fine early on. But once "ghost Banri" starts slipping in, taking over, and then slipping out again, it no longer appears to be amnesia. The recent bouts are one thing, as he just ends up confused as well, but the stuff in the middle of the series wasn't really amnesiac.
Old 2014-03-10, 23:50   Link #2210
RightSaidFred

Quote:
That's fine early on. But once "ghost Banri" starts slipping in, taking over, and then slipping out again, it no longer appears to be amnesia. The recent bouts are one thing, as he just ends up confused as well, but the stuff in the middle of the series wasn't really amnesiac.
It wasn't a separate personality. They were just his memories surfacing. The ghost is a simply a device used to represent his memories.
Old 2014-03-11, 11:14   Link #2211
GDB

Since when can someone have amnesia, have their old memories come back and make them forget everything they had experienced since losing said memories, and then proceed to lose them again (while not losing any further memories) while getting back the second set of memories?

Like I said, it works as amnesia early and late in the story, but in the middle they screw around with it and it no longer works like amnesia.
Old 2014-03-12, 01:06   Link #2212
RightSaidFred

Quote:
Since when can someone have amnesia, have their old memories come back and make them forget everything they had experienced since losing said memories, and then proceed to lose them again (while not losing any further memories) while getting back the second set of memories?

Like I said, it works as amnesia early and late in the story, but in the middle they screw around with it and it no longer works like amnesia.
Banri does not meet the diagnostic criteria for Dissociative Identity Disorder (a.k.a. Multiple Personality Disorder ). It's clearly retrograde amnesia.

Technically when Banri remembers the past, he doesn't forget his current situation. Episode 21 is a clear example of that- he remembers Koko. What happens is, he is in state of confusion, when his memories return. He has alot of information to process which disorients him.

You can also blame the author for going for dramatic effect. She's doing what she wants to setup the situation.
Old 2014-03-12, 07:53   Link #2213
l.kostas

There is this PV about the second OP. Today is the official release day of the second OP and ED single:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-worlds-end-pv

From that site:
A special site "DOLL Detective Yui" to solve the mystery hidden in the PV is also launched:
http://www.starchild.co.jp/artist/horie/sp/doll/

Last edited by l.kostas; 2014-03-12 at 08:04.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 15:21   Link #2214
GDB

Good episode, but almost wish it had taken a short break and aired back to back or something. It ended right when it had me truly enthralled in it.
Old 2014-03-13, 15:26   Link #2215
KagaKoko
Fully Fledged Watcher

Ok so we have a break up, she acts normal the next day. Banri thinks Koko is fine with him, ends up she says they are friends to everyone. Whole segment with Linda etc and koko being there being angry. Preview shows koko being sad then pulling Banri's face.

MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!!??!

Last edited by KagaKoko; 2014-03-13 at 15:51.
KagaKoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 16:07   Link #2216
AC-Phoenix
Detective

You know it is actually kinda ironic that Kouko tries to evade someone

Either way I can see where she is coming from, and her stuck-up bitch attitude in the cafeteria did nothing but showing that she is hurt herself.
Still... One would imagine she'd pull him on his ears to her parents hospital instead, ratherr than just asking what certain medication is for.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 16:26   Link #2217
HandofFate

damn 22. You crazy.

So much dramatic scenes. Everyone butting heads and confusion everywhere.
The parallel of the positions of Linda and Banri and now Banri and Koko is an interesting point.

Even though Banri doesn't like that Koko broke up with him, and finding out that she saw the tape and everything, its a tough position to him. On one hand, he doesn't want to lose Koko, on the other hand, how 'selfish' can he be, to try to tie Koko to him, when he feels that one day he will disappear and Koko is the one to bare all the suffering.

Koko also hurting herself, and also hurt from seeing the recording because in the end, to her, Banri didn't put enough trust in her to confine in her what's happening to him.

Chinami and Mitsuo's screentime was well done, the series did a good job in showing their importance in the cogs of everything.

Linda and Banri attacking eachother was pretty intense.
Old 2014-03-13, 16:51   Link #2218
Dr. Casey

Unstable Koko is the best. I was pretty giddy during that whole part at the cafe where she cracked and (complete with head tilt) started going on about how she didn't care about the school or anyone there.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 17:14   Link #2219
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Honestly I'm a bit surprised. Kind of figured that Banri would actually disappear and be replaced by the past one already. Really driving things up a wall by everyone in a sense losing it. Not surprising with all the stress and emotions having built up here.

It's a difficult situation. I feel like Kouko is trying to limit the damage in her own way and is suffering a tremendous deal. She should understand the reality that Banri is starting to vanish and eventually the guy she likes may be gone. Banri of course would like to keep Kouko with him, but is also suffering from the seeming reality that he's going to vanish. Can't really push after Kouko as much as he'd like since what would be the point. Either they both suffer in the attempt or she's the one left hurting when he is gone.

The end of the episode was pretty great. I mean Linda really just throwing years of repressed feelings and frustrations out. While Banri openly throwing his frustrations right back at her. It was just really intense. Well done I thought.

Now I'm really not sure what's going to happen here. I kind of figured that Banri would vanish, Kouko would see the video, and somehow she could pull Banri back. But now I'm really uncertain. It could still go that way, but only so much time to properly handle things. Maybe they will use Chinami's presentation as a way to clue in Mitsuo and Kouko. Maybe even recover Banri if he does vanish in the next episode.

This episode got me surprisingly emotional. Didn't really expect that.
Old 2014-03-13, 19:06   Link #2220
Kakurin
大佐

That preview shown at the end of last episode has to be right up there with the most non-sensial previews I've ever seen.

I must say this episode has taken me right back into it. Good episode. Funny how Kouko torpoed her break-up statement the next moment by sending her dad to pick up Banri. Her dead was really insightful by shutting him up through asking why he didn't run after Kouko, but instead waited it out. Liked what Nana-senpai did next, instead of the usual slapping trying to somehow support Banri.

The following day was then hilarious, seeing Kouko acting like nothing happened and Banri confused thinking the previous day was just a joke. Well, then everything broke loose. Kouko finally abandoned the charade and though I don't think she approached the issue right I can't blame her for it. Seeing the recording coupled with finding the medication earlier was probably just too much for her. And evidently she is pretty shaken and hurt by this development.

Banri and Linda exploding was then just the icing. Finally everything is falling apart forcing them to admit and confront the bottled up issues. It was very interesting to see how riled up Linda got after hearing of the break-up and Banri's reaction to it. Mitsuo also at long last got to see the big revelation. Curious to see how Banri could recount his relationship with Linda. Did he recap it from what he heard, or does he remember the key characteristics of his relationship with Linda now? Anyway, we are headed down the finale and the preview once again leaves question marks, what is it with Kouko playing with Banri's face?

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen