AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 11 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 40.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 22.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-20, 10:45   Link #221
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
They didn't show the actual blow, but with Deed holding her blade above head and above Erio, and that resounding flash of light, it's pretty obvious how Erio was brought down.
It's not unlikely that he could have (just barely) moved Strada to avoid the brute of the hit

Quote:
Who said about deleting conventional magic? ^^ I just suggest that the Forwards, at least, should be Rare-Skill Users. Nanoha and co can still stick to conventional magic.
But it's better to have a little of everything Though more focus on the 'rare skills'.
Old 2007-08-20, 10:45   Link #222
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
I also expected AMF to play a more significant role.
Nah,StrikerS dissapointed alot of us over certain things

Anyway,i would still complement on the Tactics used by the numbers though.
Old 2007-08-20, 10:46   Link #223
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Spoiler for Ray Storm:
Actually, Shamal's shields were holding up, until Zafira gets thrown at her, interrupting her concentration...

And it could be that Otto can control the output of power in Ray Storm.
Old 2007-08-20, 10:46   Link #224
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
I also expected AMF to play a more significant role.
I wasn't too bothered with the AMF, but I had expected more from the 'shadow organization'...
Old 2007-08-20, 10:47   Link #225
arkhangelsk

Actually, it was the only thing to be done. Magic is basically the base of everything that makes up a mage or knight. Attack, Protection, Self-Strengthening. If you make the AMF too effective, our mages except for Subaru with her cyborg body may as well be ordinary.

I suspect that AMF simply makes it harder for a mage to gather and guide energy. Once you've fought awhile in those environments, it is kind of like adapting to thinner mountain air - your draw gets more powerful to compensate. Which I suspect is why ordinary mages are so useless against AMF. If you gave them a few weeks learning to breathe "mountain air" almost all of them will suffer only relatively minor reductions in combat ability. Too bad Regius never let them learn how to breathe.
Old 2007-08-20, 10:50   Link #226
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
They didn't show the actual blow, but with Deed holding her blade above head and above Erio, and that resounding flash of light, it's pretty obvious how Erio was brought down.
Well, she clearly didn't aim to kill.

Besides, Nove and Wendi were talking about how it's okay to kill Teana since she isn't on Doctor's "I'm interested" list lol.

Quote:
Spoiler for Anti Sub Warfare:
Well, Sein's implied to have little combat ability... so maybe her best is just swimming around hoping for cheap shots. After all, even if Schach hits the ground, Sein can just dive deeper inside, even if she can't see and move to a further point before rising up a little.

Besides, I suspect Cinque might come into play. Otherwise, Schach vs Sein will most likely be boring or one-sided.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-08-20, 10:51   Link #227
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It's not unlikely that he could have (just barely) moved Strada to avoid the brute of the hit
In any case, I still say he's built pretty sturdy. We're taking about lightsabers here and even Nanoha can bleed from a little energy dagger.

Strong bodies must be a common point between Artificial Magi. Fate took SLB head on and merely fainted for a mere few minutes.

Come to think of it, some of the Numbers appear to give the Artificial Magi quite a bit of respect, with Fate and Lutecia both addressed as "Ojou-sama".

Signature by liro
Old 2007-08-20, 10:53   Link #228
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Actually, it was the only thing to be done. Magic is basically the base of everything that makes up a mage or knight. Attack, Protection, Self-Strengthening. If you make the AMF too effective, our mages except for Subaru with her cyborg body may as well be ordinary.

I suspect that AMF simply makes it harder for a mage to gather and guide energy. Once you've fought awhile in those environments, it is kind of like adapting to thinner mountain air - your draw gets more powerful to compensate. Which I suspect is why ordinary mages are so useless against AMF. If you gave them a few weeks learning to breathe "mountain air" almost all of them will suffer only relatively minor reductions in combat ability. Too bad Regius never let them learn how to breathe.
Nicely put
Yeah, things where somewhat explained that way in the A's to StrikerS manga, AMF makes it harder to use magic, but not impossible.

And training under AMF conditions, that would super-power the cast

Regular TSAB clerks are practically useles, except for cannon fodder, most of them don't even have Mage Rank B
Old 2007-08-20, 11:25   Link #229
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
This, I think, is a good time for Cross Mirage's final form to make its grand entrance. And if Tia has mastered that supposed Phantom **** skill, maybe that to can help turn the tide as well.

But at the end of the day, I still think she's gonna get out of this with sheer smart thinking. I might be biased, but so far the Numbers (other than Quatro and mayhaps Otto) don't seems to be very smart in terms of tactics as well (if most of the plans so far came directly from the Doc). Most of the time they do seem to rely on their unique abilities, pairing and element of surprise to throw out the opposition.

OT, but I was thinking: would StrikerS be better (and easier to manage) if the Forwards were Rare-Skill Users that have little to do with conventional magic? Subaru is already one (STKJ), Erio (human eel) and Carol (summoner) just need a bit of tweaking to achieve that status. Tia poses the most problem to this suggestion (despite the fact that she uses a rather unique form of Midchildan magic), but on the other hand this difficulty could also help to highlight her intelligence and give her even more development space (the good old "if this doesn't work, then I'll just make sure I make it work somehow!").
Always found the girl to be the "jack of all trades" in the new team. With her stealth, ranged power and illlusions she is functionally "everyhere" [hence the center designation]. It's made her weaker overall in terms of killing power, but as I pointed out earlier- her willingness to land "kill shots" is the real determiner on how lethal the girl really is. Ep21 itself shows this, her initial counter offensive with the smokescreen had an attack that was likely fatal to Nove if it wasn't blocked [also a headshot >_<].

In this instance, the Numbers have to really consider if they want to expend the power to either subdue or eliminate someone who does not have a "befriending" mode . I'd say she isn't worth as much as a research subject than Subaru or Erio, but I suppose the Numbers could learn much from someone who is utterly without mercy.

Hazard a guess? Teana's best chance is to neutralise Uendi first. Her heavy shield really spoils her attacks before working on Deed or Nove. Personally, an escape plan would be better though I suppose many here want to see violent power cleaver death
Old 2007-08-20, 11:35   Link #230
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime View Post
In this instance, the Numbers have to really consider if they want to expend the power to either subdue or eliminate someone who does not have a "befriending" mode . I'd say she isn't worth as much as a research subject than Subaru or Erio, but I suppose the Numbers could learn much from someone who is utterly without mercy.
Well, even though it's not explicitly stated that they want to kill her, they wouldn't mind killing her, since she's not on the "I want him/her" list of Jail's, not in the slightest.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-08-20, 12:09   Link #231
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Well, even though it's not explicitly stated that they want to kill her, they wouldn't mind killing her, since she's not on the "I want him/her" list of Jail's, not in the slightest.
Agreed. The Numbers don't appear to have any regards for lifeforms other than those the Doc's interested in.

And Nove's plainly itching to do something permenant to Tia, for whatever reason she has managed to link Cinque's condition to her.

Signature by liro
Old 2007-08-20, 12:18   Link #232
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
And Nove's plainly itching to do something permanent to Tia, for whatever reason she has managed to link Cinque's condition to her.
Nove is clearly somewhat pissed that she's delegated to Teana duty. Her miffed look upon entering the barrier to face her shows that while she really wants to beat up Hachimaki (( Subaru )) instead, someone...probably Otto since Otto take the 'leader' role in this Forward match-up, decided it was too dangerous instead, since Nove's 95% melee and has a very high risk of getting one-hit-killed. On the other hand, Ginga's her sister so Subaru might hold back, and losing Ginga probably won't matter to them that much, since she's not really regarded as their sister, and Jail probably got whatever data he needs from her already.

And Nove said that she'll beat Teana up as a replacement for Subaru instead.

Old 2007-08-20, 13:21   Link #233
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Just not Teana's day no matter how you look at it. Going to deal with a really pissed off Nove due to the fact she isn't Subaru. Well if there is anything she can do it's keep them distracted and try to buy herself some time. Depending on how serious that injury is she might have trouble staying slightly mobile. Guess its time for illusion distractions and going for head-shots. Would be hilarious if Vice and Zafira shocked the world by making a rescue. After getting shafted for all this time Zafira showing up would be a surprise, though its not unlike he doesn't have to give some payback to the numbers.

Won't count out Vita yet. If there is anyone I trust to find a way to survive the situation its her. It'd be the greatest disappointment in strikers since Chrono's marriage if it went as bad as her being killed here.

Yeah looking like Lutecia isn't taking the friendship speeches all that well. But does seem things will go that route as was expected early on. Just need to have Erio and Caro beat her down first. At the very least people won't be able to say she doesn't use facial expressions.
Old 2007-08-20, 16:30   Link #234
Once and Current Subber

Yeah, Vita can't die - she wouldn't die even if you killed her. ;p I figure she'll show up at a dramatic moment with a "what, this? Flesh wound" line...

The real problem is that you can't analyze RF6 with conventional military thinking because it's a ridiculous construct in conventional military terms. It's barely big enough for a commando squad - you can't manage it like an armored division. It's full of former opposition and irregular forces. Tea really is the only "normal" military member there, after all. It's got nepotism beyond anything even remotely sane. Their forces get pulled for mundane guard duty (including -disarming- the strongest mages in the unit at the most critical moment - criminy, how the hell do you justify THAT?)

Even the idea of conventional military discipline is silly. In the modern military, men are generally considered interchangeable, outside of considerations like training and specialization - it is always the correct move to preserve command authority by removing disruptive soldiers from your command. But Hayate doesn't have, and has never had, that option. Nanoha and Fate represent priceless, irreplaceable military assets. Even if they're not unique in the world, it is absolutely the case that Hayate would not get another one if, for some reason, she kicked Nanoha out. If Nanoha decided that Hayate's orders weren't worth following, not only does Hayate have no method of stopping her, her departure would represent about a third of Hayate's firepower walking out the door with her.

(And, frankly, Nanoha has done just that before. TSAB demonstrably values end results over military discipline.)

It's been commented upon that Hayate may be a lousy officer. This is, to put it bluntly, likely true. And not really unexpected, to be honest - for all that she's a Lt. Colonel, she's also still only 19 years old. Her rank's honorary. It's not even theoretically possible that she was promoted for military merit alone; it's a reflection of the fact that she's her own integrated artillery battalion. (Nanoha and Fate being captains is a little easier to swallow, but even there, we have to assume that some of their rank is reflective of their powers and not their skills.)

For that matter, have we seen a single instance of competent leadership in the TSAB military? Ever? Once? We've had a heroic admiral who resorted to hiring a local collaborator to engage the enemy, sent her son into combat, and would have lost if the enemy they'd rescued -specifically against her orders- hadn't come in on their side. We've had another admiral lie his butt off, misappropriate a prototype, and engage friendly forces in order to kill off a little girl. The same admiral from the first example almost ended up turning a huge megalopolis into a bay, except that the same little girls pulled off a "this probably won't work" last minute plan. We've had a battalion commander overwhelmed by a -fire-, and who ended up ceding command to a sixteen-year-old who happened to be passing by on vacation and her talking doll. We've had a military high command who called in tons of high-ranking officers for a press conference, put their best people on security disarmed and out of contact, and whose killer beat-all weapons system totally wimped out.

It's more like, good god, where would Hayate have learned to be a good officer FROM? Who's her example? ;_;

And still, at the end of the day, the "concentrate against each force in turn" response is still too fancy. Works on paper, but if anything goes wrong, you lose and everybody dies (or whatever Jail's planning, heh.) Spreading out the forces means you're throwing people up against superior firepower, and that's bad, from a military perspective... but a great many battles have been lost because a force was concentrated against one enemy and another one came around to hit it in the flank or rear. Sometimes you have to send out a screening force to hold one part of the line while you go win the battle on the other part, even if that means your screen will get the hell chewed out of it.

Also, take a look at the series as a whole. Has RF6 -ever- acted offensively? Not once. In each case, they've more or less stumbled into a developing situation - drones on the train, drones in the air, drones attacking the hotel, Vivio recovery, GFHQ fracas, Cradle launch. Their intelligence has been, to put it bluntly, useless, for all that they spend a lot of time investigating. The first indication of an enemy's presence, in each case, is when one of them popped up and opened fire. The only thing they know about Jail's motivations is what he TOLD them.

I still hold that a lot of this is due to the writers of the show not understanding the military. They don't mean to make these guys look stupid and slow, but they want one-on-one (or three-on-one, sorry Tea) action at the finale, and they don't care if they have to rip on the TSAB in order to create that scenario. I think they want to project that Nanoha and Hayate are actually competent in their jobs, but they just don't understand what being competent in those jobs entails in the first place.
Old 2007-08-20, 16:35   Link #235
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
probably Otto since Otto take the 'leader' role in this Forward match-up, decided it was too dangerous instead, since Nove's 95% melee and has a very high risk of getting one-hit-killed. On the other hand, Ginga's her sister so Subaru might hold back, and losing Ginga probably won't matter to them that much, since she's not really regarded as their sister, and Jail probably got whatever data he needs from her already.
I thought the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
At the very least people won't be able to say she doesn't use facial expressions.
Yeah... When I saw the preview, I thought she grew older. I guess angry Lutecia isn't Lutecia... She looked like Rider and Scaglietti...

I might need some rest... Everytime Fate said Schach, I thought she said Siesta............

Otto- It seems no one knows his/her gender. I see people using "he", but I still think she's female. Has there been an official gender stated yet?...

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2007-08-20 at 16:47.
Old 2007-08-20, 17:41   Link #236
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Otto- It seems no one knows his/her gender. I see people using "he", but I still think she's female. Has there been an official gender stated yet?...
Well, when Uno refers to the younglings in general, she uses imouto-tachi but that's not completely proof either since if Otto is male, then he's the lone one, and at the same time, it's not strange for Otto to be female either, especially if she's the Kino boku-type. I don't recall any official gender being stated for Otto either.

Personally, I'll just refer to Otto in a non-gender discriminative way until its proven one way or another.

Old 2007-08-20, 19:10   Link #237
Fabien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
The real problem is that you can't analyze RF6 with conventional military thinking because it's a ridiculous construct in conventional military terms.
Anyway, TSAB's mission is more like police (and firefighters) than military.
They don't fight another country's regular army, but delinquents and natural disasters.

And IRL, hearing that the police did something stupid again, won't surprise anyone.

(Another of TSAB's missions is to enrol mages, to keep an eye on them, and make sure they will use their powers for right goals -- in theory.)
Old 2007-08-20, 19:35   Link #238
Mirificus

Quote:
The real problem is that you can't analyze RF6 with conventional military thinking because it's a ridiculous construct in conventional military terms. It's barely big enough for a commando squad - you can't manage it like an armored division. It's full of former opposition and irregular forces. Tea really is the only "normal" military member there, after all. It's got nepotism beyond anything even remotely sane. Their forces get pulled for mundane guard duty (including -disarming- the strongest mages in the unit at the most critical moment - criminy, how the hell do you justify THAT?)
The basic principles of objective, offensive, mass, economy of force, maneuver, unity of command, surprise, security and simplicity apply from army group size units all the way down to the section/fire team level. The way the unit is organized and trained is ludicrous but, from Hayate's perspective, she still has two independent maneuver units to work with and the HQ unit as a reserve.

Quote:
Even the idea of conventional military discipline is silly. In the modern military, men are generally considered interchangeable, outside of considerations like training and specialization - it is always the correct move to preserve command authority by removing disruptive soldiers from your command. But Hayate doesn't have, and has never had, that option. Nanoha and Fate represent priceless, irreplaceable military assets. Even if they're not unique in the world, it is absolutely the case that Hayate would not get another one if, for some reason, she kicked Nanoha out. If Nanoha decided that Hayate's orders weren't worth following, not only does Hayate have no method of stopping her, her departure would represent about a third of Hayate's firepower walking out the door with her.

(And, frankly, Nanoha has done just that before. TSAB demonstrably values end results over military discipline.)
Episodes 17 and 21 are not exactly demonstrating favorable results.

Quote:
It's been commented upon that Hayate may be a lousy officer. This is, to put it bluntly, likely true. And not really unexpected, to be honest - for all that she's a Lt. Colonel, she's also still only 19 years old. Her rank's honorary. It's not even theoretically possible that she was promoted for military merit alone; it's a reflection of the fact that she's her own integrated artillery battalion. (Nanoha and Fate being captains is a little easier to swallow, but even there, we have to assume that some of their rank is reflective of their powers and not their skills.)
This made me feel kind of bad when I re-watched the end of 13. Hayate clearly should have the willpower to do things properly.

Quote:
And still, at the end of the day, the "concentrate against each force in turn" response is still too fancy. Works on paper, but if anything goes wrong, you lose and everybody dies (or whatever Jail's planning, heh.) Spreading out the forces means you're throwing people up against superior firepower, and that's bad, from a military perspective... but a great many battles have been lost because a force was concentrated against one enemy and another one came around to hit it in the flank or rear. Sometimes you have to send out a screening force to hold one part of the line while you go win the battle on the other part, even if that means your screen will get the hell chewed out of it.
How is massing your forces together more complicated then ensuring each separate force has enough combat power to win at each objective before you even send them out?

Each force will also be kept in combat for longer in relatively static situations greatly diminishing their combat power. Surprise and initiative are forfeit. There's no depth in the deployment and no reserves. I did advocate holding attacks or feints but those are secondary missions and should be treated accordingly. It's probably the best use of the flying mages Hayate had with her.

I'm just going to quote from FM100-5 since it sums it up nicely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Army - FM100-5 - Operations
Combat power is created by combining the elements of maneuver, firepower, protection, and leadership. Overwhelming combat power is achieved when all combat elements are violently brought to bear quickly, giving the enemy no opportunity to respond with coordinated or effective opposition.

Commanders seek to apply overwhelming combat power to achieve victory at minimal cost. They integrate and coordinate a variety of functions with the elements of combat power to sustain it at the operational and tactical levels. They strive to convert the potential of forces, resources, and opportunities into actual capability through violent, coordinated action at the decisive time and place. They attempt to defeat the enemy’s combat power by interfering with his ability to maneuver, apply firepower, or provide protection. Commanders multiply the effects of combat power through the integrated efforts of combat, CS, and CSS arms, as well as the forces of the Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy.
Overwhelming combat power offers RF6 its best chance to avoid being bogged down. If it can't use speed, mobility, surprise and deception to become strong enough at the decisive point, then the battle has already been lost even before it has begun.

Also note the importance of combined arms. RF6 ignores potential force multipliers offered by other forces like the fleet teleporters.

Quote:
I still hold that a lot of this is due to the writers of the show not understanding the military. They don't mean to make these guys look stupid and slow, but they want one-on-one (or three-on-one, sorry Tea) action at the finale, and they don't care if they have to rip on the TSAB in order to create that scenario. I think they want to project that Nanoha and Hayate are actually competent in their jobs, but they just don't understand what being competent in those jobs entails in the first place.
Like I've said before, the writers seem to have trouble finding a good balance between writing for magical girls and writing for what should be a competent military unit.

Last edited by Mirificus; 2007-08-20 at 21:40.
Old 2007-08-21, 00:30   Link #239
arkhangelsk

Since Mirificus already did all the tactical stuff, I'd do the rest.

Quote:
Yeah, Vita can't die - she wouldn't die even if you killed her. ;p I figure she'll show up at a dramatic moment with a "what, this? Flesh wound" line...

While all this is true, they are faced with a military situation, so what will determine their success, barring intervention from God (Seven Arcs), will be military standards.

Quote:
Doesn't say much for them if Hayate has to kick Nanoha / Fate out for discipline.

Quote:
Beyond what Mirificus already said about Results, this is not actually wrong. Discipline is a mere means to an end - combat efficiency and victory. If the best way for a military unit to fight well is to be undisciplined, that's what should happen.

Quote:
1) RF6 is a glorified squad/platoon command, not a battalion. Platoons are thrown out to very green lieutenants out of their officer training school.
2) Hayate is also a ten-year veteran of service, much of which is presumably in high-intensity situations that should allow her to mature faster than normal peacetime service which most of our officers go through.
3) Soviet officers have taken battalions as Majors (roughly 10-14 years of service) - and they aren't even elite and no it wasn't wartime. Taking one as a Captain is fast, Major is around average, and Lieutenant Colonel actually meant you are slow or about to promote to deputy regimental commander.
4) It is thus actually possible for a commander of that time in service to have gotten there through merit. In fact, it implies that she will be a blasted genius of a commander, a Rommel or Manstein or Guderian or just insert your fave general, not the inverse.

Quote:
For that matter, have we seen a single instance of competent leadership in the TSAB military?
Actually, by anime standards, TSAB was portrayed as relatively competent right up until StrikerS.

Quote:
Ever? Once? We've had a heroic admiral who resorted to hiring a local collaborator to engage the enemy,
She did, at that point, have an original plan, using Chrono. All evidence suggests Chrono could have beaten Fate at that point in time if it came to a fight. But there was no reason not to take advantage of an opportunity to basically double their firepower, if not quite their combat coefficient due to experience issues.

Quote:
sent her son into combat,
Nothing wrong with that either. Heck, Army General Malinsky sent his son Anton into combat in Red Army. His son's brigade was overrun by counterattacking Americans (and his son killed in an airstrike) because he underestimated the rate of the American advance and did not order the 49th Army Corps to shift to defense in time. But no one calls him incompetent - in fact Malinsky is probably one of the top five most competent commanders in the genre of late 1980s NATOxWP stories...

Quote:
and would have lost if the enemy they'd rescued -specifically against her orders- hadn't come in on their side.
Well, because this is a Magical Girls show, by definition their decision was slated to be wrong in the long run. However, in terms of process, it was actually a good decision. There is actually a ridiculously high probability that Fate will take advantage of Nanoha's generosity instead of what was shown. What actually happened was ridiculously low prob except in a Magical Girls anime. Maybe if someone told Chrono he is actually in such an anime it might have affected his calculation.

Anyway, if we assume that Chrono was evaluating a high chance he and Nanoha can suppress the Jewel Seeds after Fate gets knocked out, it is tactically a great move. It is also a very military-style move, which actually gave much hope to the TSAB as a serious organization. Too bad it was a joke.

Quote:
We've had another admiral lie his butt off, misappropriate a prototype, and engage friendly forces in order to kill off a little girl. The same admiral from the first example almost ended up turning a huge megalopolis into a bay, except that the same little girls pulled off a "this probably won't work" last minute plan.
Won't defend Graham, but I'd point out the "last minute plan" was actually scientifically substantiated to work with calculations before they executed it, so it wasn't just a Magical Girls-fare "we hope" plan - it was actually a plan with a high probability of success, and thus definitely worth going for considering the alternative. Again makes one feel optimistic about the TSAB.

Quote:
We've had a battalion commander overwhelmed by a -fire-, and who ended up ceding command to a sixteen-year-old who happened to be passing by on vacation and her talking doll.
Actually, Hayate was there not because of a vacation. She was undergoing commander's training. Since it is nighttime, it is likely she was serving a shift as duty officer while her commander understandably went home for the day, and thus had to assume command of ready forces in an emergency until her commander or other senior officer shows up. Her readiness to assume command actually spoke well of her.

Not that the glacial response of the Aerial units wasn't a problem...

Quote:
We've had a military high command who called in tons of high-ranking officers for a press conference, put their best people on security disarmed and out of contact, and whose killer beat-all weapons system totally wimped out.
Well, we all agree on that!

Quote:
It's more like, good god, where would Hayate have learned to be a good officer FROM? Who's her example? ;_;
Earth, man, Earth! Don't you remember this wonderful land of wars, from which our little girl was born and where she lived till she was 15? There are countless good generals for her picking!

Quote:
And still, at the end of the day, the "concentrate against each force in turn" response is still too fancy. Works on paper, but if anything goes wrong, you lose and everybody dies (or whatever Jail's planning, heh.)
Still beats a plan that won't even work on paper, and will only work in anime by the sheer intervention of Seven Arcs (God).

Quote:
Sometimes you have to send out a screening force to hold one part of the line while you go win the battle on the other part, even if that means your screen will get the hell chewed out of it.
Wrong analogy. The problem is not that they are having a screening force as well as a Strike Sector. It is that they don't have a Strike Sector, no Schwerpunkt. All they have are inadequate screens.

Quote:
Also, take a look at the series as a whole. Has RF6 -ever- acted offensively? Not once. In each case, they've more or less stumbled into a developing situation - drones on the train, drones in the air, drones attacking the hotel, Vivio recovery, GFHQ fracas, Cradle launch. Their intelligence has been, to put it bluntly, useless, for all that they spend a lot of time investigating. The first indication of an enemy's presence, in each case, is when one of them popped up and opened fire. The only thing they know about Jail's motivations is what he TOLD them.
This is actually one of the more realistic parts of the show. From what little I know of them, Police investigations tend to rely on human contacts that will betray the criminal. Since Scarlietti does not seem to have contacts with anybody except senior TSAB guys who were "beyond suspicion", it is realistic their investigation mostly draws blanks.

This is not to excuse their lack of a Signals Intelligence capability... with Scarlietti on Midchildra and yakking away on the radio with full high-res audio-visual links so often, it is hard to believe they won't have acquired his HQ years ago if only they had SIGINT.

Quote:
Must not fully agree. If you don't know competence, the trick is to avoid people scrutinizing your choices too closely. Since this is a Magical Girl anime, this is actually not difficult.

1) Any plan your protagonist issues must be shown to be successful (at the very least it shouldn't look like a disaster). The audience understands that a) they probably don't know the fine details of the situation as well as the protagonists and b) that the scriptwriters aren't likely to be true tactical geniuses. Between these two factors, as long as your plan looks reasonably successful on screen, they will give your character the benefit of the doubt.
This already worked to Seven Arcs' favor in Ep7 and Ep12 of StrikerS, as well as Nanoha A's. It also works with Scarlietti - he is actually also dispersing his forces in Ep21, which may be his eventual downfall, but since so far he's shown to be relatively successful, the audience will rationalize his tactics as good use of Economy of Force through his understanding of his enemy (though we know whatever tactics he chooses he's already slated to fail).

2) Any plan that is to fail or place your protagonists in a very tough spot must be fully attributed to someone else, because those plans will be scrutinized and most likely found wanting. Failure to do this in Ep17 and Ep21 is why they are being blasted to bits.

3) Be very careful when you have a protagonist's plan fail. It is possible to do so and make him not look like an idiot, but only if the plan is carefully laid out with his reasoning clear so no blame can reasonably be placed on the protagonist. Since this is hard, unskilled authors are best off avoiding this.
Old 2007-08-21, 01:21   Link #240
Once and Current Subber

Quote:
If it can't use speed, mobility, surprise and deception to become strong enough at the decisive point, then the battle has already been lost even before it has begun.
Well, but they haven't been able to do these things. Their opposition has definitely used mobility, surprise, and deception to their great advantage to date - Jail's operating with a few advantages (namely, the other side not knowing about his force composition or objectives), but he's also out-generaling Hayate and indeed the whole TSAB. If RF6 is going to win at this point, it's going to have to rely on the individual superiority of their forces - just can't be helped. It's -too late- to fight smart.

The key thing about concentrating your forces at the decisive point is that you need to identify the decisive point. Hayate simply doesn't have the information required to make that determination with certainty. Is the Cradle the decisive point? Entirely possible (probable, even), but it's also the most dangerous - the one that's most likely to trap your forces against it and leave everything else uncovered, or possibly even wipe them ALL out; nobody's really sure how much of a threat that sucker is.

Is Jail's HQ the decisive point? Possibly - if they can force a surrender, the rest of it might not matter. But it could also be pointless to attack there. If most of his forces are already in motion, and there's no big "off" switch, then all you're going to bag is a loon, a secretary, and a bunch of empty drone-warehouses (plus the Numbers' spare undergarments, I guess.)

Is the big drone-cloud decisive? Certainly, current military doctrine emphasizes air superiority as a primary objective of any battle. If Jail gets total air superiority, it becomes very hard for the TSAB forces to coordinate and move. (This isn't so important in our calculations, since we've already decided that Hayate's not really suited for the other tasks anyway, and this is the one at which she excels beyond any of the others.)

Is the loose band of Numbers a decisive point? Probably not, compared to the rest. Thus, they're being countered with relatively light units. You can argue that it's better to ignore them altogether, which I could live with. But obviously they're up to something, and not only that, they're up to it in the middle of the big enemy operation. Presumably their target is worth the force dilution their absence represents! So you need at least token forces against them, right?
Closed Thread