AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for our Banner Contest? (Theme: Fall/Thanksgiving/Hallowe'en)
Purple 6 10.91%
Black 19 34.55%
Light Blue 11 20.00%
Dark Blue 5 9.09%
Orange 14 25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-23, 12:43   Link #21
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
For those that think that the orange gradient doesn't work, try these links and see if that can change your mind:

The Halloween 2006 Banner Contest! (Surprise! A new banner contest already!)
Halloween 2006 Banner Contest Nominations
Halloween 2006 Banner Contest - Final Vote!

(note that it has been five years since that contest was run, thus a lot of the images have disappeared)
Yes well, I don't want to sound overly negative, but you've just proven my concerns with the orange background.

It must have been hair-pulling for the contestants back then to work with that design. I'm all for challenge, but that's just suicide.
Old 2011-09-23, 13:40   Link #22
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Do the moderators intend to go with the orange gradient even if black wins this poll? Black currently is in the lead, after all,
Strange that you'll reach such conclusion (or even ask about it). Whatever gradient gets the more votes is the gradient that will be used, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
many comments on this thread have been strongly supportive of it.
Just as several people have already voted on the orange one. A gradient that some of us actually like and think that fits better with the Halloween theme.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-09-23 at 14:33.
Old 2011-09-24, 04:31   Link #23
Kudryavka

Hm, so black won?

Already got ideas
Old 2011-09-24, 04:45   Link #24
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Hm, so black won?

Already got ideas
Awesome!

Daniel post the other rules now, please.
Old 2011-09-24, 09:40   Link #25
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Since black has won the poll, this is how it will look like at the top of the forum:

Good luck!

Spoiler for Orange gradient plugged in:
Links to check gradient background/banner: grey blue
Old 2011-09-24, 10:15   Link #26
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Can the test-page be changed to accept bg=URL&banner=URL type parameters for auto-setting and linking purposes? Should be just 2 lines of code.

ps. imageshack has gotten so bad it's pointless to post anything above 700px width or height with it since nobody will be able to see it in anything other then crap quality with out being really tech savy.
Old 2011-09-24, 20:27   Link #27
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

You'd have to ask Nightwish since he's the one who put it all together!
Old 2011-09-25, 05:28   Link #28
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What of the other administrators, don't they have access to the file?

All it would take is a value="<?php echo $_GET['bg'] ?> respectively value="<?php echo $_GET['banner'] ?> to the input[text] fields.
Old 2011-09-25, 07:47   Link #29
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

You mean like this:
http://forums.animesuki.com/...?css=2&bg=http://st...08.jpg&bnr=http://st...ner-027.jpg
Old 2011-09-25, 07:56   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Awesome. Thanks.

ps.

NW what do you think of a rule along the lines of "you may only post images hosted on animesuki albums"?

eg. http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?albumid=3426

That way things would be less likely to expire; more precisely would require being explicitly deleted. Which is fine, since it's the authors right.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:09   Link #31
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Personally? Well if I were automating things, it would be a requirement of entry. It would make automated validation much much easier. However, I am not...

The staff have yet to collectively consider the relative merits. It doesn't fix long term expiry, as the files can still be deleted. Only putting them on the server in a controlled area would, which we might do anyway.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:49   Link #32
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Personally? Well if I were automating things, it would be a requirement of entry. It would make automated validation much much easier. However, I am not...

The staff have yet to collectively consider the relative merits. It doesn't fix long term expiry, as the files can still be deleted. Only putting them on the server in a controlled area would, which we might do anyway.
Regarding automatic validation. I think the simplest way would be to make a [bnr] tag that works something like the [img] only outputs a link and maybe preview and site preview...

eg.
[bnr]http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=3426%26pictureid=40896[/bnr]

would give

For showing older banners we could have...

[bnr=http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=3426%26pictureid=40895]http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=3426%26pictureid=40896[/bnr]

Also note from the example, how the colors seem to shift when you click it for the full demo version. Colors look fundamentally different when put next to other colors. In particular our post backgrounds are not even close to ideal.

Regarding automating the process itself. You could probably make use of this: http://forums.animesuki.com/group.ph...uss&gmid=67205 (there's a screenshot example of how it works at the bottom). You would just replace Series with Banners, and instead of multiple categories have one called "Votes".
Old 2011-09-25, 19:44   Link #33
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I don't believe black one... it clashes so much. I was a little excited to get to make a banner for a contest, it's been quite a while for me. Oh well, best of luck everyone!
Old 2011-09-26, 00:03   Link #34
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
At least you can work with a black one... Compared to the orange one. The ones in the link that were posted to show images with orange background were just awful. And the others... Are not really fall/halloween themed at all.
Old 2011-09-26, 21:29   Link #35
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Thanks to all for the votes and comments. The details of the contest featuring the selected black banner will be announced shortly, so thread locked.