AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2019-07-20, 05:21   Link #401
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

The switch is region free as far as I know, but I heard getting DLCs for the asian version is a bit complicated because there's no real asian nintendo eshop.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-20, 05:27   Link #402
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So I just read that Nintendo is facing a class action lawsuit over its apparent failure to address the joycon drift issue.

As someone whose Switch is having this problem right now, it wouldn't be such a problem for me if the joycons weren't so goddamned expensive.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-20, 11:09   Link #403
GDB

I keep seeing this "drift" thing brought up, but not sure what it is. Anyone got a short-hand of it?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-20, 11:21   Link #404
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I keep seeing this "drift" thing brought up, but not sure what it is. Anyone got a short-hand of it?
Games register stick movement and moves the game in the accorded direction despite that fact that the stick is stationary.

For example in my case, I first noticed my joycons were having the drift while playing Xenoblade, where the characters would move to the left because my left stick drifts left, while the the camera pans down because my right stick drifts down. All this while my Switch isn't being touched.
Old 2019-07-21, 01:03   Link #405
GDB

That's... really unacceptable.
Old 2019-07-21, 06:58   Link #406
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That issue was mostly present with the first generation of switch. I bought mine when Xenoblade 2 was about to be released and never noticed any joycon drifting issue, and same goes for my acquaintances.
EDIT: nevermind, I mistook that issue with the left joycon connectivity issue. The drit problem is pretty much widespread and I guess I'm pretty lucky since I never noticed that kind of stuff.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2019-07-21 at 07:14.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-21, 09:00   Link #407
GDB

From further reading, it seems like it happens based on use. So I probably wouldn't have to worry about it for a while, since I don't use the switch THAT much, but eventually it'd be an issue. Still unacceptable when these damned joycons cost like $50 a pop.
Old 2019-07-21, 09:22   Link #408
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
From further reading, it seems like it happens based on use. So I probably wouldn't have to worry about it for a while, since I don't use the switch THAT much, but eventually it'd be an issue. Still unacceptable when these damned joycons cost like $50 a pop.
If it happens because of extended use, then that's not really a hardware failure but just lack of maintenance that can be fixed by using some electrical contract cleaner.

Immediately blaming the hardware before looking into any possible solutions sounds like something my grandparents would do

If my logitech keyboard stops working after a couple of years because I never cleaned the dirt then I guess I should sue them too
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-21, 09:47   Link #409
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Problem is that the failure rates are supposedly really high comparatively, and you can't exactly open it to clean without voiding warranty. Plus the suit alleges that apparently Nintendo has known these problem rates for a while but didn't do anything to rectify.

This is somewhat similar to the Red Ring of Death problem that the X360 had.
Old 2019-07-21, 16:00   Link #410
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Problem is that the failure rates are supposedly really high comparatively. Plus the suit alleges that apparently Nintendo has known these problem rates for a while but didn't do anything to rectify.

This is somewhat similar to the Red Ring of Death problem that the X360 had.
Comparatively? How do we know this? From vocal people on the internet? The same people that tried to claim Switch bending and screen scratches were a widespread issue?

Also, unlike the Red Ring of Death, most of these stick issues weren't experienced on fresh-out-of-the-box Switches like it did for X360. There were also no feasible solutions for RROD, while there are multiple for stick drifting.

Quote:
and you can't exactly open it to clean without voiding warranty.
At the very least, you can spray compressed air or cleaner under the rubber skirt under the joystick here without voiding your warranty:
Images
large image
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
There is also a setting on the Switch to recalibrate the Joysticks themselves:
Images
large image
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Can you really tell me that a majority of people have tried these options?
Old 2019-07-21, 17:41   Link #411
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Maybe it happened once when I was playing on someone else's, for Smash Bros, and then my character suddenly continued moving left and self-destructed. But then it fixed itself, and I'm not sure if that was a malfunction of the controller or because there were 10s of similar controllers in the area.
It has never happened to my Switch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
The switch is region free as far as I know, but I heard getting DLCs for the asian version is a bit complicated because there's no real asian nintendo eshop.
Ahh, I see. I know that the Asian version comes with one DLC and I recall reading another game that did similarly.
Well, I don't care too much about DLC (unless it is something really well done like Xenoblade's Torna), so I should be fine there.

Also, nice name. Been getting into that series, not many SRPGs these days, Urushihara is always awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Can you really tell me that a majority of people have tried these options?
I can say with confidence that I highly doubt it. The general public isn't that smart.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-21, 19:31   Link #412
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Maybe it happened once when I was playing on someone else's, for Smash Bros, and then my character suddenly continued moving left and self-destructed. But then it fixed itself, and I'm not sure if that was a malfunction of the controller or because there were 10s of similar controllers in the area.
It has never happened to my Switch though.
This same exact thing happened to me, but we were using my switch since I had more characters unlocked. But I've never suffered from drift other than that. And it only happened on one Joy-con for a short time and fixed itself and went away and then came back but was gone by the end of that day never to come back. Interesting to hear you experienced something similar too.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-21, 21:06   Link #413
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I've blown compressed air under the joycon skirt and have recalibrated a few times already. They were only temporary solutions and the drift tends to return within a week.

I already use a third party controller because it's so annoying.
Old 2019-07-22, 02:30   Link #414
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
I've blown compressed air under the joycon skirt and have recalibrated a few times already. They were only temporary solutions and the drift tends to return within a week.

I already use a third party controller because it's so annoying.
That sucks...

Also, 4 more days... just 4 more days... ugh.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
Old 2019-07-22, 12:40   Link #415
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
That sucks...

Also, 4 more days... just 4 more days... ugh.
Wainting for Fire Emblem too, uh ?
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-22, 22:19   Link #416
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
Wainting for Fire Emblem too, uh ?
Yeah, lol. I've had it pre-downloaded for like 12 days now. Sighhhhhhhhh.

Old 2019-07-23, 00:10   Link #417
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
This same exact thing happened to me, but we were using my switch since I had more characters unlocked. But I've never suffered from drift other than that. And it only happened on one Joy-con for a short time and fixed itself and went away and then came back but was gone by the end of that day never to come back. Interesting to hear you experienced something similar too.
Meh, I frankly don't see a real problem. I have a feeling the lawesuit will go nowhere.
The biggest question I have is how long the people responsible for funding the lawsuit will hold out against Nintendo, because I'm sure Nintendo has enough money to throw around as far as lawyers go.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-23, 00:27   Link #418
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Meh, I frankly don't see a real problem. I have a feeling the lawesuit will go nowhere.
The biggest question I have is how long the people responsible for funding the lawsuit will hold out against Nintendo, because I'm sure Nintendo has enough money to throw around as far as lawyers go.
Yeah. I do think it's in Nintendo's best interests to fix the problem though. But to be perfectly honest, if a newer, better switch comes out, likely, it'd be good enough to just get new actually long-term functional joycons with that... I can see why people are frustrated though.

I exclusively play in hand-held mode. Have used docked mode only when Playing Smash (because am literally too lazy to set it up and because I love portability that much) and have never encountered a single problem even once in that mode.

Old 2019-07-23, 13:56   Link #419
Kurohane

Welp....
Old 2019-07-23, 19:29   Link #420
Shadow5YA

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...ce=wptwitterus

Chances are they're offering to fix it for free, just like they did for people with left joycon syncing issues back then.