AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-30, 08:42   Link #521
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
FFFFFFFFFFFFF TRAILERTRAILERTRAILER!!!!!
I swear to god I need this series to end.
it has already end....from the mind of kawamori

anyway...how much is the earing? i really want one..so i can cosplay like alto
Old 2010-12-30, 09:10   Link #522
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post

Screw Kawamori XD As if I care what's ended in his head!! *I* WANT CLOSURE *SELFINDULGENCETOTHEMAX*

Spoiler for for moncikoma. It's not relevant to this thread so I'll spare everyone else my immense dorking:
Old 2010-12-30, 10:22   Link #523
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
This oft-quoted statement pulled from Wikipedia no longer has the original source for verifications. Not that I deny he actually said this, but I am sure the original quote is up for interpretations, and does not justify having 90% of the discussions here littered with shipping. Nonetheless, the series outline and summary from the official website gave a far more fulfilling view of the series:

"A world with city-sized vessels, giant aliens, cultural differences, transoformable mecha, large battles, idol singers, love-traingles and many other interesting ideas..."

- Tak
Ah I see.
Old 2010-12-30, 17:51   Link #524
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
While Macross may be all about mecha, I come in for that and stay for the shipping. Sounds a bit weird doesn't it?

In all honesty though, since this is my first ever Macross series, I got pulled in by Nyan Nyan, was dazzled by hot mecha action, fell in love with the music, and stayed for the romance (and sheryl!)

I hope all turns out well! A lot of watchers want closure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Spoiler for for moncikoma. It's not relevant to this thread so I'll spare everyone else my immense dorking:
Spoiler for More earring fandom:
Old 2010-12-30, 18:37   Link #525
Elazul

Quote:
Indeed, I am alive and reading this forum occasionally, but have refrained from entering conversations mainly because the disucssions had become way too shippy for me. The increasing number of indomitable shippers who are here for no other purpose than to pair characters are not exactly helping the situation, either.

And personally I don't think they get it...

Yes, while I love Alto & Sheryl as much as 85% of the Frontier fans out there, Macross is first and foremost MILITARY-SCIENCE-FICTION!! It is supposed to primairly be about gigantic weapons of war fighting enormous battles on a gargantuan scale matched only by the size of the galaxy, not alongside the lines of a romantic drama, which are pentiful elsewhere, and should ONLY consist of no more than 25% of any healthy Macross series, but somehow managed to become 95% of the discussions here. What the fuck?

Too much shipping, and not enough MILITARY-SCIENCE-FICTION!!

I find the trend to be slightly annoying. That is all.
I disagree

I don’t think that Macross is first and foremost about military science-fiction. The summary that you yourself have posted describes the series almost perfectly. The original SDF Macross series mixed romance, war and music in a very balanced manner. Though there’s plenty of action, a lot of time was spent developing the characters (including their relationships) as well.
On the flip-side, Macross Fronter heavily focused on the love triangle, so it’s just natural that people here spend most of time discussing the romance aspect of the series. The slowly paced and rather average plot didn’t helped either. Although, the movie version did a very good job in balancing things, and the plot ended up more straight-forward and so on flowed in a much better pace.
Of course our own personal tastes play an important role too. There is a probability that most people here find analyzing the character development aspect of the show more interesting than discussing how much missiles a VF can launch at the same time. And Macross Frontier, given its nature, is a rather attractive show to shippers as well.
So, I think the huge amount of shipping here is easily justifiable. The reason people here spend so much time defending their favorites pairings is because there is plenty of room in MF to do such a thing.

I, for one, didn’t care much about the battle scenes in Macross Frontier series, though they were sometimes fun to watch. I found those ones presented in SDF Macross and DYRL much more impressive. But, the movie version again did a very nice upgrade on that aspect too, and the battles there became a lot more interesting to watch IMO.
Old 2010-12-30, 18:39   Link #526
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post

Spoiler for More earring fandom:
Spoiler for MOAR earrings:
Old 2010-12-30, 19:09   Link #527
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elazul View Post
I disagree. *snip*
Eh, you are welcomed to disagree, and as I said, I refrain from interfering with most of the discussions because there is no balance to the topics as most are dominated by shipping. So now that I left merry folks like you alone, what the hell else do you want me to do about it?

I have been in this section of the forums since the first episode aired, and over a year, I have not seen an expansion to other topics of the series other than a tiresome reptition of posts centered on a topic that had already been flogged into a rotten carcass. What is to be said had been said. There are only so much we can add before we start recycling, and thus far, we have been doing exactly that, engaged in an infiite cycle of recycling. If you agree with me that Macross should be a balance about sci-fi, war and love, then clearly you notice the imbalance of discussions being held here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elazul View Post
I, for one, didn’t care much about the battle scenes in Macross Frontier series
Then you are essentially insulting Kawamori's genius and rendering his efforts in designing and creating many of Frontier's fictional engineering feats into absolute nothing. I am sure you do realize that Macross is not Macross without... those, yes?

Moreover, like it or not, the primary products of Macross Frontier are still its military-sci-fi themed toys, not romantic gimmicks.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2010-12-30 at 19:22.
Old 2010-12-30, 19:17   Link #528
magnuskn

Quote:
Indeed, I am alive and reading this forum occasionally, but have refrained from entering conversations mainly because the disucssions had become way too shippy for me. The increasing number of indomitable shippers who are here for no other purpose than to pair characters are not exactly helping the situation, either.

And personally I don't think they get it...

Yes, while I love Alto & Sheryl as much as 85% of the Frontier fans out there, Macross is first and foremost MILITARY-SCIENCE-FICTION!! It is supposed to primairly be about gigantic weapons of war fighting enormous battles on a gargantuan scale matched only by the size of the galaxy, not alongside the lines of a romantic drama, which are pentiful elsewhere, and should ONLY consist of no more than 25% of any healthy Macross series, but somehow managed to become 95% of the discussions here. What the fuck?

Too much shipping, and not enough MILITARY-SCIENCE-FICTION!!

I find the trend to be slightly annoying. That is all.
Really? Because I may have misunderstood the Macross universe, then. I thought it mostly was about finding understanding between different species, often through the power of music. AND about military science fiction. AND about romantic triangles. These are the three integral pillars of Macross and ever have been so, IMO. You cannot elevate one over the other.

It is only the series themselves which go into more detail on one aspect over the other. SDFM was the one with the best balance, the original. Macross 7 was about the music. Macross Frontier was about the romance. Macross Zero and Plus kind of fall outside the spectrum, since they were OVAs and didn't have the scope of the other three. Hell, if we go by my enumeration, the next project should be all about the military aspect.

Since Frontier is the latest one, its main aspect of course gets the main attention. And, hell, I don't know where you got all the shipping here lately, we are mostly down to discussing nitty gritty details about the three main characters. Yes, occasionally in reference to their romance, but mostly about character motivations and the like. That is not shipping, that is character analysis.
Old 2010-12-30, 19:26   Link #529
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I thought it mostly was about finding understanding between different species, often through the power of music. AND about military science fiction. AND about romantic triangles. These are the three integral pillars of Macross and ever have been so, IMO. You cannot elevate one over the other.
So where are the discussions about military science fiction, where are the discussion about understanding? I don't see anything new about those topics.

Quote:
Yes, occasionally in reference to their romance, but mostly about character motivations and the like. That is not shipping, that is character analysis.
Dude, your last discussion was about how Ranka felt about a kiss...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2010-12-30, 19:50   Link #530
magnuskn

Quote:
So where are the discussions about military science fiction, where are the discussion about understanding? I don't see anything new about those topics.
Where do they need to be? I wasn't stating that the discussion here is balanced, only that Macross is not mainly military science-fiction, like you claimed.

Quote:
Dude, your last discussion was about how Ranka felt about a kiss...

- Tak
No, it was about how genuine that kiss was from Altos side. Rankas feelings were barely mentioned, since they were not really in question. Which deviated into a even more detailed discussion about Altos motivations throughout the series and the question how genuine he was in what he was doing in that timespan.
Old 2010-12-30, 20:00   Link #531
Tak

Quote:
mainly military science-fiction, like you claimed.
Oh, not just me. Macross Frontier as a genre had always been categorized in Japan first and foremost as sci-fi and robots.

But I mean, if you feel strongly that Macross is a genre you see fit, good for you, though its not even the point of my disdain for the discussions here.

- Tak

Old 2010-12-30, 20:06   Link #532
magnuskn

Really, disdain? For something which you participated more forceful in than most others here? That's hurtful, man.
Old 2010-12-30, 20:09   Link #533
Tak

Quote:
Really, disdain? For something which you participated more forceful in than most others here? That's hurtful, man.
Yeah, that I did. Hell, I even went out of my way to purchase the earrings and... nevermind...

Point is, I am now very tired after the fact, and more than unwilling to go through it again. Especially since I felt that little else could be added to further the conversation. Maybe I have more to say after the second movie, but for now, I am in semi-retirement.

- Tak

Old 2010-12-30, 20:30   Link #534
magnuskn

Well, that's okay. Nobody is forcing anybody to participate in something s/he doesn't like. But please don't use words like "disdain" to describe our discussions. Coming from you, that really hurts.

We are in the middle of a re-watch of Frontier at the moment, so of course shipping will come up again as a topic of discussion, especially since we are now really getting into the "serious romance" territory of the series. But, personally, at this point I am much more interested in character analysis, which is why I spent the last day going into the fine details with Dex, karice and Irisiel of how genuine Alto is in his motivations.

Mecha discussions bore me, frankly. The relative power of one Valkyrie over another is not of real merit to me, since they are only plot devices in the story. They are not statted out and used in a widespread game, like Mechs from BattleTech, so there is no real way to quantify their power, besides saying "this model is more modern".

Discussions of NUNS organization and the polical structure of the Macross universe would be interestesting, but there are not really enough widely accessible sources available ( or even existant? ) to me to even get into discussion about it.

Hence the majority of my discussions are about the characters. Hell, if the guys in Japan would get to writing some novels and translating them to English, then I'd buy some in a heartbeat. But thanks to fucking Harmony Gold, even that seems only remotely possible.
Old 2010-12-30, 20:47   Link #535
Elazul

Quote:
Eh, you are welcomed to disagree, and as I said, I refrain from interfering with most of the discussions because there is no balance to the topics as most are dominated by shipping. So now that I left merry folks like you alone, what the hell else do you want me to do about it?

I have been in this section of the forums since the first episode aired, and over a year, I have not seen an expansion to other topics of the series other than a tiresome reptition of posts centered on a topic that had already been flogged into a rotten carcass. What is to be said had been said. There are only so much we can add before we start recycling, and thus far, we have been doing exactly that, engaged in an infiite cycle of recycling. If you agree with me that Macross should be a balance about sci-fi, war and love, then clearly you notice the imbalance of discussions being held here.

Don’t take me wrong. I am not a shipper. I will not support a certain pairing just because I prefer one character over another. If the MF series leaned towards an Alto x Ranka end, and if it was done in a believable manner, I could totally accept it.

Yeah, the discussions here are heavily focused on shipping. But what I was trying to say in my previous post that this is too because Macross Frontier gave much emphasis in the love triangle. The show itself is unbalanced. IMO

Quote:
Then you are essentially insulting Kawamori's genius and rendering his efforts in designing and creating many of Frontier's fictional engineering feats into absolute nothing. I am sure you do realize that Macross is not Macross without... those, yes?

Moreover, like it or not, the primary products of Macross Frontier are still its military-sci-fi themed toys, not romantic gimmicks.

- Tak
What? Why I should be doing this? Disliking a certain aspect of the show doesn’t automatically make me disvalue all the technical effort and creativity to make it. You know, they are two separate matters. I might dislike some of Mozart’s works, but, at the same time, I respect and value them highly.

(Oh, and sorry for my bad grammar, English is not my native language and I wrote this post in a rush)
Old 2010-12-31, 02:04   Link #536
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

I wish Frontier wasn't so love triangle-centric. The tv series crammed it down our throats to the point it was almost tacky. Mind you they handled it better than Macross 7, but IMHO it was just a bit too much...DYRL and Plus handled it just right.
Old 2011-01-02, 02:34   Link #537
cutesherry
.:Sweet Dreamer:.

I was watching ep13 of Arakawa under the bridgexbridge and surprise, Macross Frontier movie 2 trailer was included in the middle of it and of course subtitled ^^
As expected, there is nothing extraordinary about the dialog and most of it I had more or less guessed , but here it is anyway:

Sheryl: My songs are my Life.
Ranka: Remembering it, I feel all tingly.
Alto: I will protect you even if it costs me my life.
Sheryl: I am just a princess captured by some monster.
Ranka: Sheryl loves Alto...
Alto: I told you, you're not alone.
Leon(?): So, the False Songstress?
Ranka: What was that?!
Ozma: Alto! We're going in!
Grace: Here it goes. Our last show!
Sheryl: Alto! Wake up!
Leon(?): We have only one chance.
Klan: Let's go, Michel!
Michel: You don't even have to tell me!
Ozma: Firing reaction missiles!
Brera: Playtime is over.
(?): And then the Galaxy shall be ours!
Sheryl: This the secret only you and I share.
Ranka: I know my song will get through, so promise me!
Alto: I will soar! Until I can end this war!
SherylxRanka: Farewell wings!
Alto: Believe in me, I will...

And Happy New Year 2011! ^^

..::CuteSherry LJ
...♥...CuteSherry MTokyo...♥...CuteSherry APaper...♥...CuteSherry dART::..
~I Seek Peace in my Dreams~
Old 2011-01-02, 03:51   Link #538
magnuskn

Ah, it does sound interesting. Only two months.
Old 2011-01-02, 09:54   Link #539
soranarumi
the Crowned Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutesherry View Post
I was watching ep13 of Arakawa under the bridgexbridge and surprise, Macross Frontier movie 2 trailer was included in the middle of it and of course subtitled ^^
Yeah, it was quite shocking
And I already addicted with the song at the trailer now.
Old 2011-01-03, 01:54   Link #540
MisaHayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post

Earring of Sheryl : $7.90 [Free Shipping]
http://www.animechina.com/macross-fr...me-p-1008.html

I already bought products from this site [AnimeChina] , is very good ^^

Sorry for my bad english

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song