AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-15, 11:00   Link #561
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Actually, no. You're overtly simplifying things, here.
Alto did say he'd kill Ranka, if she proved to be a traitor. As long as he thought so, he behaved that way (even shooting at her projected image in rage, at one point), but when it became clear that she was being manipulated, he went back to trying to save her - no back-and-forth decisions, here. Just reactions to the facts, as he perceived them.
Granted, I did simplify things but if I remember correctly, Alto never shot at Ranka's projection. As soon as Alto saw Ranka, he kept questioning her reason for wanting to destroy them and even then, seemed pretty reluctant to attack (i.e. - Until Alto found out where Ranka was being held captive.)

Just to expand a little on this as well, Alto did say that if Ranka was being used as a tool that he would kill her, yet he didn't when that was exactly what was going on.

Quote:
Yeah, if anything, things are quite mild here, these days.
I wasn't here for the worst of the times but I did experience some of it and I must agree, this is very mild if you ask me

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-15, 11:41   Link #562
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You should re-watch episode 24, then. Alto very clearly and deliberately shot at Mega Ranka, at least once. Screaming very loudly, if I recall correctly. But that's just the norm for him, isn't it?

And he stated that he would kill Ranka if she had betrayed Frontier. That does imply willingness on her part. Being coerced or manipulated kinda negates that.

Old 2010-03-15, 12:29   Link #563
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
You should re-watch episode 24, then. Alto very clearly and deliberately shot at Mega Ranka, at least once. Screaming very loudly, if I recall correctly. But that's just the norm for him, isn't it?

And he stated that he would kill Ranka if she had betrayed Frontier. That does imply willingness on her part. Being coerced or manipulated kinda negates that.
I just did and as I said, Alto didn't even take one shot at Ranka. You might have confused Brera's shot at Alto right before he screamed According to my subs though, Alto states he would kill Ranka if she was "being made into a tool for the Vajra" or "if her song is trying to destroy us."

Whether it be being coerced or manipulated, I believe this falls into the "being made into a tool" section.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-15, 14:29   Link #564
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I should have qualified the "manipulated" for what was shown to us, ie. mental manipulation, not simply a hoodwink kind of thing. Still seems to me that she hasn't willingly betrayed Frontier, so it's not like he changed his argument, after all - as she didn't really betray them.

As for the shooting, I'm going to have to hold you to it, as I don't have my copies of the series' episodes quite handy, at the moment. Rest assured, this is just the perfect reason to rewatch the whole thing.

Old 2010-03-15, 15:11   Link #565
justavisitor

which, to me, is the reason why I should not rewatch this show until I forget everything in animesuki XD

I never like to overanalyze a series, break it down into every single frame, and try to guess the meaning behind it..but now I can't forget all those "meaning" and "analogy" ...I will rewatch the series when I forget all those "meanings" XD but I am afraid I have to wait for a bit
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-03-15, 16:13   Link #566
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Didn't Sheryl tell him to rescue Ranka before that battle and he agreed?

Alto just prioritized what Sheryl wanted over what he did. Otherwise he probably would have tried to kill her.

Last edited by Foreshadow; 2010-03-15 at 16:57.
Old 2010-03-16, 01:45   Link #567
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Didn't Sheryl tell him to rescue Ranka before that battle and he agreed?

Alto just prioritized what Sheryl wanted over what he did. Otherwise he probably would have tried to kill her.
I can't remember the scene but I think he did. As a soldier you are always caught between duty as a soldier to protect and your honor (to fulfill the promise).
Old 2010-03-16, 02:47   Link #568
magnuskn

Now, to be fair, Alto said that he'd kill Ranka on the best information he had at the time... what he got from Mr. Bilrer and Leon.

As far as Sheryl telling him to save Ranka, I think that would again have superceded his conviction that he'd have to kill Ranka, but it was not really tested. He got to see that Ranka was being used as a pawn by Macross Galaxy / Grace before he had to make a decision.
Old 2010-03-17, 04:30   Link #569
magnuskn

Oh, ugh. I should take my own advice and not go on that board.

Just wanted to check a bit if there was anything of worth there ( and I must say, if the Ranka fans here would bring only 10% of the energy they bring there, we would still have some interesting discussions ), but everytime I see a post by BleachOD, I feel like I am living a RP session of Call of Cthulhu. "You lose 1d10 sanity points" style. She may be a great old one, indeed.
Old 2010-03-17, 06:41   Link #570
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

Just wanted to check a bit if there was anything of worth there ( and I must say, if the Ranka fans here would bring only 10% of the energy they bring there, we would still have some interesting discussions ), but everytime I see a post by BleachOD, I feel like I am living a RP session of Call of Cthulhu. "You lose 1d10 sanity points" style. She may be a great old one, indeed.
You think Bleach OD is bad try having a conversation with Wesley. Between his god complex and his general belief that he opinion is always right (even after you post evidence that its wrong). NO, Kira Yamato is not a better pilot than Amuro Ray.
Old 2010-03-17, 10:06   Link #571
Father Hentai

Quote:

That's not fair now. There were a lot of discussions pro Ranka (fans/non-fans) but talking against walls is not fun.
Old 2010-03-17, 13:06   Link #572
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

If you think you shouldn't go to a forum you think is weird then don't go in the first place. That said, if you don't agree with someone else's post, you shouldn't bitch about it either (it's what you're doing right now).

*Apparently, there's a fine line between Sheryl fans and us Ranka fans (on different forums). I favor Ranka x Alto to death but you don't see me bashing Sheryl x Alto do you?
Old 2010-03-17, 13:22   Link #573
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
You think Bleach OD is bad try having a conversation with Wesley. Between his god complex and his general belief that he opinion is always right (even after you post evidence that its wrong). NO, Kira Yamato is not a better pilot than Amuro Ray.
Oh, I remember Wesley. Good that he has moved on, his posts sometimes got cited and he therefore semi-escaped my ignore list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
That's not fair now. There were a lot of discussions pro Ranka (fans/non-fans) but talking against walls is not fun.
Hey, I'm just saying that if they deconstruct my post over there, they are talking with themselves only. If they got a grievance, they should come over here and we can see if I got factual errors in what I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
If you think you shouldn't go to a forum you think is weird then don't go in the first place. That said, if you don't agree with someone else's post, you shouldn't bitch about it either (it's what you're doing right now).
Yeah, since they are bitching about my post, and don't have the stones to come here to discuss, I think you should address your words to them.

And, sorry, but BleachODs posting style scratches my sanity score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
*Apparently, there's a fine line between Sheryl fans and us Ranka fans (on different forums). I favor Ranka x Alto to death but you don't see me bashing Sheryl x Alto do you?
Only terribly misinterpreting key scenes. ^^
Old 2010-03-17, 14:07   Link #574
wisteria233

Quote:
Oh, I remember Wesley. Good that he has moved on, his posts sometimes got cited and he therefore semi-escaped my ignore list.
You know what the funny thing is, he believes that people who are big in the names in the Macross fandom only became well-known because of him. He was also banned several times from posting in Gundam vs. threads. He actually believed that the tv trope The Wesley was actually named after him.
Old 2010-03-17, 14:08   Link #575
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
You know what the funny thing is, he believes that people who are big in the names in the Macross fandom only became well-known because of him. He was also banned several times from posting in Gundam vs. threads. He actually believed that the tv trope The Wesley was actually named after him.
<giant facepalm>
Old 2010-03-17, 14:41   Link #576
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
I added some bad fuel to the fire. XD

In either case instead of lurking I'll contribute a tiny post to this romance thread.

Spoiler for My Opinion:

PS - Tiny post wasn't so tiny. Also I probably know all of this was probably already said in a different context (or even in the same context) but I'm just putting my contribution on here.

Also since its prolly already been said, I put it in spoiler tags for easy skip-over-ness.
Old 2010-03-17, 15:09   Link #577
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
I added some bad fuel to the fire. XD

In either case instead of lurking I'll contribute a tiny post to this romance thread.

Spoiler for My Opinion:

PS - Tiny post wasn't so tiny. Also I probably know all of this was probably already said in a different context (or even in the same context) but I'm just putting my contribution on here.

Also since its prolly already been said, I put it in spoiler tags for easy skip-over-ness.
Thanks, loved your thoughts.
Old 2010-03-18, 20:27   Link #578
Daril Gukku

lmao, wesley came to these boards as well? his infamy grows. i remember the days when we used to battle it out....

on another note: bleach_od. even when i was a ranka/alto shipper i didn't understand them

oh well.
Old 2010-03-18, 21:00   Link #579
Aeshma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post

I remember reading sometime last year on a anime review blog that did MF ep20 that you see the true character of a person on the battlefield, and I have to say I agree with that.

I think that article was a bit too harsh on Ranka. I mean, Iīm no apologist. Ranka fucked up, badly. But the whole thing couldīve been averted in the first place if the proper authorities, I donīt know, detected a massive, gigantic Vajra infestation on the ship? How could they miss so many larva? Even Leon and Grace were caught by surprise.

Which brings to another point: If the most pivotal element of your defense strategy depends on the emotional stability of a 16 year old girl, you are bound for a tragedy. One would think the authorities would do their best to keep her happy.

So Ranka fucked up, but they were a bunch of morons anyways.
Old 2010-03-18, 23:28   Link #580
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
I do think the government on Frontier was leaning all to highly on Rankas power and therefore didn't check the ship after they made the jump. Quite moronic to lack guard/fall so easily back into safety when dealing with things that can kill a lot of people.

And I linked that article only for the reference I used, in case those fact checkers out there wanted blood. XD Though I agree it was a bit harsh, this blogger too, was rooting for Ranka up to that point (well he/she was more teetering on ship jumping after that mess-up, they didn't fully do it til the next episode)

As for the stability, wasn't everyone else around her age (Sheryl only a year older and Alto same age/year older)? Wasn't Minmay also around her age?

But I guess if you grow up getting your way by arguing/crying/throwing tantrums and becoming depressed/running off, that's what you'll revert to.... (ex - Episode 5 )

Cuz through what the anime showed me of Grace and Ranzou Saotome, I highly doubt either Sheryl or Alto got their way if they cried/threw tantrums :/

Hell, Sheryl ALWAYS says the shes Sheryl Nome! And that shes worked hard to get where she is (plus do you really think Grace would put up with that?). As for Alto, well you saw what Ranzou did to the Kabuki performer that didn't do a move correctly.... (Episode 11) really think he'd be nicer to a little kid who's supposed to succeed him/carry on the family name?
Closed Thread