AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-07, 07:42   Link #581
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Hm then how did Kinichi die? According to episode 4, he died on that very ship, correct? Or was his death a fake?
no body found. Everyone assume his dead. And with no body found the more reason the government put the blame on him. The government doesn't want bad reputation and the family wants to blame someone. So the government use him as an scapegoat.
Old 2011-05-07, 07:43   Link #582
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

For 超能力, I think it's better that you go along with the term 'stealth ability', Hikari. Don't think this is a Toaru reference here.

Tsunade, don't rely too much on the machine translator. Some are inputs by readers to make it easier for them to understand.

If it's stealth, it either means two things, the literal one like ol' MGS, or 'passive' ability that couldn't be detected. Like level 0 or something? May I know where is that from, so that I can check on it?
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 07:58   Link #583
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I know what it means.

i just don't know what the (ステルス) is supposed to mean.

It's not a passive ability, all Choutei and presumably all people from SSR have a certain grade which is their activated ability.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 08:33   Link #584
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
I know what it means.

i just don't know what the (ステルス) is supposed to mean.

It's not a passive ability, all Choutei and presumably all people from SSR have a certain grade which is their activated ability.
I think (ステルス)is the name of the all super natural ability. That's what I get from reading that passage anyway.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 08:39   Link #585
Nera Sleith
我らがツインテールに、勝る萌え無し!

I also think ステルス was what the author wants us to read for 超能力, I believe that's what furiganas are for anyway.
Like for example, another term, 絶対半径(Absolute Radius) was called キリングレンジ(Killing Range) in the novel. 真剣白刃取り(Shinken Shirahadori) was called エッジキャッチング(Edge Catching).

I believe ステルス refers to 超能力.

99/100 translators would translate ステルス as stealth indeed. But it's quite odd because ステルス is what the author intended reading for 超能力, which is a general term for supernatural ability. Well, Stealth can be a supernatural ability but Akamatsu-sensei is using Stealth as a general term for supernatural ability. Personally, I find it odd to call supernatural ability as Stealth instead.

Stels? Stelles? Or maybe go for its actual translation, Stealth. Another suggestion would be, is not to go with the original term and make up a different term that would fit its meaning.
Old 2011-05-07, 08:39   Link #586
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera Sleith View Post
I was wondering what happened to those 2 wolves after Vlad battle. The novel didn't really care to explain about that. But since Vlad was in custody, I guess the wolves were apprehended as well? (Maybe they are incarcerated in a pound or something lol). I'm pretty sure if Shirayuki had learned that those wolves assailed her Kin-chan, the two wolves are already risotto by now in which she stuffed in a bento that she feeds to Kinji.

Spoiler for blah skit:

I think Vlad haven't finished his research about crossbreeding humans so he's been imprisoning Riko until he completes it. Which is why I think Riko is still clean, or if I'll use her words: "an undefiled lady". Also, Vlad proposing a deal about Riko surpassing the 1st Lupin has an underlying intention on it. If Riko succeeded in her plan (ie she surpassed her great-grandfather, and proved her worth), Vlad would not need to make an ideal 5th, and would just suck Riko's blood. The main reason he's been imprisoning Riko is because he considers her not worthy of sucking blood (due to her being incompetent), but she still is worth keeping because she has Lupin's blood. Well, it's just a theory, I guess.
You know what's interesting? That in vol 10....Hilda turns out to be an experiment product....
Old 2011-05-07, 08:40   Link #587
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I think (ステルス)is the name of the all super natural ability. That's what I get from reading that passage anyway.
It means stealth....maybe they were supposed to be using a sneaky technique...

Quote:
99/100 translators would translate ステルス as stealth indeed. But it's quite odd because ステルス is what the author intended reading for 超能力, which is a general term for supernatural ability. Well, Stealth can be a supernatural ability but Akamatsu-sensei is using Stealth as a general term for supernatural ability. Personally, I find it odd to call supernatural ability as Stealth.

Stels? Stelles? Or maybe go for its actual translation, Stealth. Another suggestion would be, is not to go with the original term and make up a different term that would fit its meaning
I believe it refers to a particular ability. The kanji just lists it as a generic ability but I think it's likely it's a stealth one....

Quote:
And Haimaki is very obedient and well behaved. In the eyes of outside people, he is cuter than ordinary dog.
He still comes up to your chest....and will very well rip you to shreds at the slightest offence towards Reki even if it is imagined...
Old 2011-05-07, 08:42   Link #588
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I know that (ステルス) is another name, but presumably, 'tis a romanization. Therefore, we should use whatever (ステルス) is. The problem being, I have no idea what ステルス is supposed to be, and I've already been using 'ability' to describe it all along.
Old 2011-05-07, 08:45   Link #589
Nera Sleith
我らがツインテールに、勝る萌え無し!

Quote:
I know that (ステルス) is another name, but presumably, 'tis a romanization. Therefore, we should use whatever (ステルス) is. The problem being, I have no idea what ステルス is supposed to be, and I've already been using 'ability' to describe it all along.
Do you have the page number in the RAW where it appeared? (I'm assuming this issue is for the current chapter you're translating?)
Old 2011-05-07, 08:47   Link #590
KLGChaos
The Shermain

So, judging from the anime, it's going to take them 5 episodes to get through the first volume... which means at most, they'll be able to do 2 volumes before the 12 episodes is up.
Old 2011-05-07, 08:52   Link #591
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

It's not an issue, but I was browsing the Japanese wikipedia for clues on what IADA might be, (which I figured out after realizing that Butei meant Armed Detectives. Wikipedia didn't help), and I saw the ステルス beside the name of 超能力, so I was like "What?"

So....I don't know where on the raw it might be.

And, I'm not translating right now ;D
Old 2011-05-07, 09:18   Link #592
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera Sleith View Post
Do you have the page number in the RAW where it appeared? (I'm assuming this issue is for the current chapter you're translating?)
IIRC it was mentioned in one of the scenes where SSR students were carrying out their ranking test..vol 2 or 3? Or it could be one of the fight scenes....

I would stick with translating 超能力 as super-ability though. Much easier and clearer

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2011-05-07 at 09:34.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 09:21   Link #593
ZeKeR
Superbad

it was said that Arsene Lupin I did his work alone. It was somewhere in time where the Holmes and Lupin fought together but neither side won as they were evenly matched. the reason why she's called incompetent or weak is probably she uses others to do her dirty work for her and she then takes all the glory.

I think the Dagula Master was right about Kinji... in some way... and that charisma he has is the knack for attracting girls... but still cant beat a certain spiky haired guy who has an entire sister army, some nuns, and a few psykers into him.

i will lol my ass of if a supernatural creature liek Tamamo comes into his life... making all females into him jealous.
Old 2011-05-07, 09:55   Link #594
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I believe it refers to a particular ability. The kanji just lists it as a generic ability but I think it's likely it's a stealth one....
Hmmm, according to the passage, that doesn't seem so since the stealth(or whatever the ability name is) is divided into ranks and have 70-80 properties. But I haven't read Hidan no Aria that much so I'm also not sure.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 10:02   Link #595
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I don't think it's stealth.

There're 70-80 attributes, like in RPGs, except there are far more attributes.

Grade goes from 1-25, from weakest to strongest.

That's what the passage says ^^.

However, there's nothing particular stealthy about it, as a name like Futaenagareboshi might suggest.
Old 2011-05-07, 10:02   Link #596
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Hmmm, according to the passage, that doesn't seem so since the stealth(or whatever the ability name is) is divided into ranks and have 70-80 properties. But I haven't read Hidan no Aria that much so I'm also not sure.
It would still fit even if one were to view it as purely stealth....different levels of stealth.

Or it could be more bastardized Latin...

See that's why I hate translating katakana....
Old 2011-05-07, 10:04   Link #597
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

It's not the description for a certain ability...

Chounoryouku is the name of the category of abilities. It's most direct translation would be "super power", and that's exactly what it is. 'Tis not a specific power.

The question is, what does ステルス romanize into that makes sense.
Old 2011-05-07, 10:10   Link #598
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
It's not the description for a certain ability...

Chounoryouku is the name of the category of abilities. It's most direct translation would be "super power", and that's exactly what it is. 'Tis not a specific power.

The question is, what does ステルス romanize into that makes sense.
That's why just use the kanji meaning if in doubt....I was thinking that it means super ability but the katakana elaborating it is a stealth ability.....

超能力 just means super power...it doesn't have to be a group of abilities. The rankings could mean there are variations but all stemming from the sme root ability.

If you are not sure how to romanize the katakana then just leave it out....
Old 2011-05-07, 10:12   Link #599
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

There are 70~80 different attributes, as mentioned.
Therefore, there are 70~80 different types of abilities.

What kind of original ability would we be talking about anyway...Creation attribute?

I know what it means, I translated it as 'ability' whenever it came up, since I don't ever see that katakana there, normally. However, as I was browsing wiki.jp, I saw ステルス there, so I want to know if it is applicable.
Old 2011-05-07, 10:18   Link #600
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
There are 70~80 different attributes, as mentioned.
Therefore, there are 70~80 different types of abilities.

What kind of original ability would we be talking about anyway...Creation attribute?

I know what it means, I translated it as 'ability' whenever it came up, since I don't ever see that katakana there, normally. However, as I was browsing wiki.jp, I saw ステルス there, so I want to know if it is applicable.
It is applicable. I've seen it before somewhere..just can't remember of the top off my head where...

I'm meaning root ability. Like how a blood choke and an ordinary strangle may be two different things but are just variations of a "choke"

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen