AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-01-04, 08:27   Link #721
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

They almost made it with the title ! I guess no one knew that "étrangère" was written like that
Joke aside, I'm surprised that they didn't finish the arc with this episode. Or are they going to make a Cliffhanger with Chibiusa arrival ?
Old 2015-01-04, 08:43   Link #722
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
But compared to the '90s anime, Crystal feels more down to earth and human. They feel much more powerless.
They can f*cking fly and throw magic shields whenever they want (though it's generally useless). Heck, Usagi even used her moon stick in the SKY. And wait till next week until she gets to use it in SPACE !
They got no personality whatsoever aside from the main character who has lost the only thing which saved her from being just annoying : comic relief.

I'm in total disagreement with you on this.

The 90's anime got girls who were more than bishoujos. They were clumsy (and not in a oh-it's-so-cute way), funny and more reliable as humans than those sticky-legs models who got just 2 expressions : beautiful girl / beautiful failure.

Pretty much everything feels forced in Crystal. It's baaaaad.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 11:21   Link #723
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Looking at the ratings from Nico Nico Douga, I'd say that those viewers don't like how this series is going!
Their views would only matter to producers if they actually buy stuff.
Old 2015-01-04, 21:28   Link #724
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
They can f*cking fly and throw magic shields whenever they want (though it's generally useless). Heck, Usagi even used her moon stick in the SKY. And wait till next week until she gets to use it in SPACE !
They got no personality whatsoever aside from the main character who has lost the only thing which saved her from being just annoying : comic relief.

I'm in total disagreement with you on this.

The 90's anime got girls who were more than bishoujos. They were clumsy (and not in a oh-it's-so-cute way), funny and more reliable as humans than those sticky-legs models who got just 2 expressions : beautiful girl / beautiful failure.

Pretty much everything feels forced in Crystal. It's baaaaad.
This is one thing that the Sailor Moon anime did better than the manga: it was able to flesh out the rest of the Sailor Senshi, not to mention the fact that
Spoiler for R and Sailor Stars:

Last edited by TnAdct1; 2015-01-17 at 12:12.
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 12:52   Link #725
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Haha, supposedly Sakai is blocking people on Twitter for even polite comments or questions. Interesting.
And yeah, it does seem that Japanese viewers are also dissatisfied with SMC.

Tbh, I'm glad people aren't just eating this up anymore and that it's losing so many viewers. It should. It's atrocious. I hope Toei chokes on their greed
Because the worst case scenario is this show getting another season. I don't want to see Haruka, Michiru and Hotaru turned into abominations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Their views would only matter to producers if they actually buy stuff.
Wait, who do you think buys stuff? Less viewers=less potential customers. Seems obvious that views do matter.

Btw, these are the views in question, if anyone hasn't seen them:

Act 1: 1.130,395 views
Act 2: 454,435 views
Act 3: 390,123 views
Act 4: 339,111 views
Act 5: 291,628 views
Act 6: 237,940 views
Act 7: 217,093 views
Act 8: 241,774 views
Act 9: 199,527 views
Act 10: 198,562 views
Act 11: 150,862 views
Act 12: 146,314 views

source
Old 2015-01-05, 13:14   Link #726
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow, at this point I can actually say I think the first anime was actually better . Even with some questionable dub voices .

Yes, let's not torture poor Sailor Moon with the voices of billions of people she has doomed because of her incredible selfishness. If you want to kill yourself do it later, when it won't doom the planet please and thank you. Plus that was some impressive skill last episode in cutting down someone who was supposed to be a warrior and in the same movement stabbing yourself with the sword .

I tend to agree it's silly to try and force Usagi as this beacon of hope when she does the most ridiculous and selfish things. She literally doomed you and the rest of humanity! You guys fought with your lives to save her and she gave up after one failed attack.

Maybe it's just watching the 12/13 back to back, but I'm full of "hey wait" moments . We literally see her cut his "outfit" in 12 and in 13 they retcon it to never hitting him. Fine to say that somehow they saved their master in death, but then don't animate him actually getting cut! Plus if he wasn't hit....why was he unconscious?

Was a memorable moment last time when she nuked those guys . I mean sure she probably could and should have done the same to the girls and avoided all problem, but oh well.

This has been quite a ride. I thought the worst of it would be just in the animation style, and some of the really bad CG transformations, but the story as well has some issues.
Old 2015-01-05, 14:46   Link #727
Miraluka
Banned

Not even 15% of the lowest number of viewer actually buys stuff ever, only hits series like Monogatari can pull that. Not even a popular franchise like Gundam can pull it off(AGE, Reconquista anyone?).

So no, the number of viewer doesn't really matter that much.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 15:06   Link #728
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Not even 15% of the lowest number of viewer actually buys stuff ever, only hits series like Monogatari can pull that. Not even a popular franchise like Gundam can pull it off(AGE, Reconquista anyone?).

So no, the number of viewer doesn't really matter that much.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but >15% of, for example 500,000 is more than >15% of, say, 100,000, and, say, 3000 copies sold is more than 2400... no?*

*using random figures as examples, not actual ones.
Old 2015-01-05, 15:35   Link #729
RDNexus

I'm not sure if this is true or if it was misunderstood somewhere along the way... Someone pointed it on Facebook...
According to this SM fansite, the TV channel Biggs told them there will be 26 new episodes coming 2016...

Source: Novo Anime de Sailor Moon com 52 Episódios
NOTE: It's in portuguese, haven't found such news anywhere else, hence me labeling it as rumor for now...

I guess that if this is true, they may have decided to not let go of the cash cow until they complete the whole trainwreck...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 19:40   Link #730
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Im just happy to know im not the only one who thinks this is going to sh*ts, art is janky as hell, faces are more like the monster faces from parasite (anime - which was soo much better than this thing..).

I for one am happy to see the #of viewers dropping and dropping, anyone/business who sh*ts openly on beloved franchises do not deserve the trust and money of the fanbase...

I welcome SMC to the list (FF, ETSO, + SMC)
Baldurkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 20:10   Link #731
GDB

Wow, that was god awful. I'm done. Not even going to bother watching the last episode of the arc. There was like, 6 scenes in this entire episode because they just kept reusing stills and the same ones over and over. No more.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 21:44   Link #732
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Haha, supposedly Sakai is blocking people on Twitter for even polite comments or questions. Interesting.
And yeah, it does seem that Japanese viewers are also dissatisfied with SMC.

Tbh, I'm glad people aren't just eating this up anymore and that it's losing so many viewers. It should. It's atrocious. I hope Toei chokes on their greed
Because the worst case scenario is this show getting another season. I don't want to see Haruka, Michiru and Hotaru turned into abominations.

Wait, who do you think buys stuff? Less viewers=less potential customers. Seems obvious that views do matter.

Btw, these are the views in question, if anyone hasn't seen them:

Act 1: 1.130,395 views
Act 2: 454,435 views
Act 3: 390,123 views
Act 4: 339,111 views
Act 5: 291,628 views
Act 6: 237,940 views
Act 7: 217,093 views
Act 8: 241,774 views
Act 9: 199,527 views
Act 10: 198,562 views
Act 11: 150,862 views
Act 12: 146,314 views

source
Not really. Views only mean income increase. This is advertising for the rest of the franchise. If sales on models, manga, games go down, then there would be a problem. Internet views is not proportional to sales.

And... you need a premium account to access back episodes. So Japanese viewers who missed out on the older episodes are out of luck with regards to NicoNico if they didn't pay 540yen per month. If views were that important, then NicoNico would give access to the past episodes to free users.

Last edited by orion; 2015-01-05 at 22:08.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 01:22   Link #733
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Here is Volume 1's sales according to anime@Reddit:

Sailor Moon: Crystal | 4047 (1/6)

I'm not even sure if this is good or not. We're talking about a franchise that's really old, and there has been a big push towards merchandise.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 04:54   Link #734
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

@orion: viewer numbers are indicative of interest... Which correlates to the number of potential buyers you can draw on.
Let's express it in simple figures:

10 viewers=10potential buyers. Only a small % will actually buy. Say, 2 actual buyers.

100 viewers= 100 potential buyers. Only a small % will actually buy. Say, 10 actual buyers.

Lower views= less interest in your product=less potential buyers.

And its the opposite of what you seem to think: if anything views should be higher when an episode is available for free for a given time, compared to traditional broadcasts.
If you're distributing a product free and reliant on sales, you bet viewer volume (or,say, player volume) and getting them interested in buying your stuff is important. You need more viewers than a traditional show if anything, because indeed, you are reliant on sales and need to maximise those. How do you do that? Through advertisement. What is your advertisement? The anime. It's really not rocket science.

You can discount the figure for episode 1, but all other episodes were available for the same amount of time.

With many watching not impressed, you further lower your sales potential. Take me as an example. I'm watching and I would've purchased. I purchased merch before release. Now I stopped, as the show is not worth it's money. There you go. A micro example of a lost potential sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Here is Volume 1's sales according to anime@Reddit:

Sailor Moon: Crystal | 4047 (1/6)

I'm not even sure if this is good or not. We're talking about a franchise that's really old, and there has been a big push towards merchandise.
I think the total was slightly higher, but never got close to 5k. iirc the sales for vol 2 were about 1k lower.
I reckon if these were sold without the collectibles, sales would be a lot worse, too. Hardly impressive for a franchise of this popularity..
Old 2015-01-06, 05:05   Link #735
Pablete
Banned

Well, last season had Yuki Yuuna was Yuusha dearu as the magic girl show of the season which came as the most sold anime after UFOtable's Fate UBW who was airing the same day as SMC. Everyone has priorities
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 06:03   Link #736
RDNexus

To me, it wasn't only a case of priorities but also a case of quality, terrible quality...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 20:32   Link #737
orion

Quote:
@orion: viewer numbers are indicative of interest... Which correlates to the number of potential buyers you can draw on.
Let's express it in simple figures:

10 viewers=10potential buyers. Only a small % will actually buy. Say, 2 actual buyers.

100 viewers= 100 potential buyers. Only a small % will actually buy. Say, 10 actual buyers.

Lower views= less interest in your product=less potential buyers.

And its the opposite of what you seem to think: if anything views should be higher when an episode is available for free for a given time, compared to traditional broadcasts.
If you're distributing a product free and reliant on sales, you bet viewer volume (or,say, player volume) and getting them interested in buying your stuff is important. You need more viewers than a traditional show if anything, because indeed, you are reliant on sales and need to maximise those. How do you do that? Through advertisement. What is your advertisement? The anime. It's really not rocket science.

You can discount the figure for episode 1, but all other episodes were available for the same amount of time.

With many watching not impressed, you further lower your sales potential. Take me as an example. I'm watching and I would've purchased. I purchased merch before release. Now I stopped, as the show is not worth it's money. There you go. A micro example of a lost potential sale.
We can agree to disagree. The only viewers with availablity to the older episodes are premium account viewers. Obviously, this was a ploy for NicoNico to get more premium accounts.

One person's stated activities does not generalize to greater populations at large as Sailor Moon is being broadcast worldwide. We don't have access to all figures or even representative figures. Relying only on NicoNico's viewer tallies will probl lead us to erroneous conclusions imo.
Old 2015-01-06, 21:08   Link #738
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
We can agree to disagree. The only viewers with availablity to the older episodes are premium account viewers. Obviously, this was a ploy for NicoNico to get more premium accounts.
On facts? It's not like I'm making up how this works
Tbh, what you're saying about availability is moot. Ep 2-13 were released under the same conditions and show a steady decrease. That's just a fact. No idea what you're trying to deny here.
Also, quite sure nico generates revenue from premium accounts and ads/affiliates. So less viewers=bad, independent from other sales.

Quote:
One person's stated activities does not generalize to greater populations at large as Sailor Moon is being broadcast worldwide. We don't have access to all figures or even representative figures. Relying only on NicoNico's viewer tallies will probl lead us to erroneous conclusions imo.
... it was an example, for illustration purposes only. It says so too. I'm not the one trying to generalize it.
The viewer tally linked was Japan-specific. There's a separate one for other countries.
For example, the Italian figures dropped by ~half from episode 2 to present. It's the only official channel there. The info is out there, do your own research.
Only thing is, no representative figures are available for crunchyroll countries, I think.

Sales figures are out there too. You need only look.
Old 2015-01-07, 21:44   Link #739
orion

Quote:
On facts? It's not like I'm making up how this works
Tbh, what you're saying about availability is moot. Ep 2-13 were released under the same conditions and show a steady decrease. That's just a fact. No idea what you're trying to deny here.
Also, quite sure nico generates revenue from premium accounts and ads/affiliates. So less viewers=bad, independent from other sales.

... it was an example, for illustration purposes only. It says so too. I'm not the one trying to generalize it.
The viewer tally linked was Japan-specific. There's a separate one for other countries.
For example, the Italian figures dropped by ~half from episode 2 to present. It's the only official channel there. The info is out there, do your own research.
Only thing is, no representative figures are available for crunchyroll countries, I think.

Sales figures are out there too. You need only look.
Again, you are quoting streaming for NicoNico. Streaming is only one source of revenue for Sailor Moon. NicoNico is also not a very good index for marking success as the only ones with access to older episodes are premium users. Drop off is expected as one goes thru a series as not many people stick with a title until the end. The only thing that you are tracking with NicoNico is legal streamers including those with premium accounts.
Old 2015-01-09, 17:52   Link #740
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Act. 13

This episode was underwhelming to me due to the pacing. They should have concluded the last battle against Metalia in the thirteenth act, so that they could freely start with the Black Moon arc.

The issues were the pacing, and, the fight with Metalia felt shabby and generic to me without some more emotional drama to pack a punch, and with drama I do not refer to any of Usagi's nuances.

Still, I do admit I let a sigh of relief that Metalia wasn't finished off with one shot, since doing so would have been anti-climatic.

Lastly, I'm fine that, at least, the fate of the Shitennou was resolved with grace and redemption protecting their true master, until the very end, having some last words with Mamoru, and resting in peace.

Overall, the episode itself performed below average.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahou shoujo, remake, sailor moon