AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-05, 03:01   Link #7601
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSamurai View Post
I have a Japanese room-mate who is taking ESL....Maybe I should get him into translating using the argument that it will help him learn English much, much faster...and bribe him with pan fried potatoes.
that will be tough. it's easier to translate something if one has higher proficiency in destination language than the source language. Composition (writing) skills come after Comprehension (reading) skills.
Old 2011-02-05, 05:37   Link #7602
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
That was a joke. I still have my bet with Suzuku (I never forget)
lol. Godspeed (you'll need it to win that bet ).
Old 2011-02-05, 08:14   Link #7603
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
that will be tough. it's easier to translate something if one has higher proficiency in destination language than the source language. Composition (writing) skills come after Comprehension (reading) skills.
Actually I find both to be equally important.
Old 2011-02-05, 08:15   Link #7604
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
lol. Godspeed (you'll need it to win that bet ).
Ah, no problems, at least I'll be tackling Volume 4 at the same time as well.

Then again, it'll be a while before I can work on NT...
Old 2011-02-05, 08:22   Link #7605
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
I'm going have to say that Index will become a very cliche series if the evil person is Touma. I'd prefer if it's Aogami, or someone we don't know at all.
i dont think it'd be him. He might come back evil though....maybe.
Old 2011-02-05, 08:40   Link #7606
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
i dont think it'd be him. He might come back evil though....maybe.
If so ( I hope not) let the drama and angst of Kamijou faction begin

I bet the most dramatic reations are Index , Mikoto, Imouto and Itsuwa (?)
Old 2011-02-05, 09:34   Link #7607
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
If so ( I hope not) let the drama and angst of Kamijou faction begin

I bet the most dramatic reations are Index , Mikoto, Imouto and Itsuwa (?)
The thing is- Mikoto, 10032, and Itsuwa all have people and friends that they can rely on for support, but Index only ever have Touma.
Old 2011-02-05, 09:43   Link #7608
tsunade666

Index had Styl and the whole Necesarius but the problem is she doesn't remember much about them.

Itsuwa has the Amakusa as well as for Kanzaki too and she is a saint she can't show weakness.

Agness had the whole Agness force and Necesarius too.

Mikoto had her railgun buddies for her.

No one will grief alone in his death.
Old 2011-02-05, 09:46   Link #7609
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Index had Styl and the whole Necesarius but the problem is she doesn't remember much about them.
Necessarius? The same Necessarius that wipe out her memories and had a back-up remote switch to mind control her whenever they want? I won't be surprise if she never trust them ever again.

Stiyl can never be a replacement for Touma, she doesn't even like him beyond neutral. None of the other members of the church can be considered her friends, only acquaintances of Touma. Maybe Orsola can talk to her, but I don't think she can help much.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:03   Link #7610
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

The thing is that even if she doesn't want to, everyone who has a somewhat friendly relationship with Index will protect her, so much that everything practically revolves around her.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:06   Link #7611
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The thing is that even if she doesn't want to, everyone who has a somewhat friendly relationship with Index will protect her, so much that everything practically revolves around her.
Physically yeah, but my opinion is that none of them can ease her grief.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-02-05 at 10:38.
Old 2011-02-05, 11:01   Link #7612
Miraluka
Banned

Very true, the people around Index always will protect her but they're not close to her to ease her grief. Her only friend super-angel-Hyouka but she only can manifest on Academy City by a limited time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
I'm going have to say that Index will become a very cliche series if the evil person is Touma. I'd prefer if it's Aogami, or someone we don't know at all.
EPIC PLOT TWIST: Aogami's last name is Kihara.
Old 2011-02-05, 11:13   Link #7613
Marina2

I have something to ask translators who work in Baka-Tsuki........Why do you guys skip most parts about ITEM (or Hamazura) in novel (except in vol.22, which I am very thankful!)

Other than Touma and Accel, I would like to know the story about Hamazura and his girls too. I already known stories in those untranslated parts from spoilers around here ,but that's just a summary, I want to read the full thing. (especially vol.15) If you think no one will interestret to read the part about them, there is one here. Or if Saiai's [Super] really give you guys that much trouble, you can skip out that word in translation...

P.S. I'm sorry to be offensive ,but I have been wondering about this for a while. Thank you for reading my post.
Old 2011-02-05, 11:29   Link #7614
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
I have something to ask translators who work in Baka-Tsuki........Why do you guys skip most parts about ITEM (or Hamazura) in novel (except in vol.22, which I am very thankful!)

Other than Touma and Accel, I would like to know the story about Hamazura and his girls too. I already known stories in those untranslated parts from spoilers around here ,but that's just a summary, I want to read the full thing. (especially vol.15) If you think no one will interestret to read the part about them, there is one here.Or Saiai's [Super] really give you guys that much trouble?

P.S. I'm sorry to be offensive ,but I have been wondering about this for a while. Thank you for reading my post.
Well, I'm no translator but the translations from vol.19 is because Flere821 is interested only in Accelerator and badass GROUP by extension, I'm sure you also noticed the translated parts of vol. 17 and 18 where Acqua (Flere821) shines as a hero.

About Saiai, I tried reading chinesse translations and my head went from @_@ to ... X_x; it requires more dedication because of the way of speaking of some characters...

If you find my post pointless well... just wait for Flere210 to get a better answer.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2011-02-05 at 11:49. Reason: EDIT: DX
Old 2011-02-05, 11:30   Link #7615
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:

Other than Touma and Accel, I would like to know the story about Hamazura and his girls too. I already known stories in those untranslated parts from spoilers around here ,but that's just a summary, I want to read the full thing. (especially vol.15) If you think no one will interestret to read the part about them, there is one here. Or if Saiai's [Super] really give you guys that much trouble, you can skip out that word in translation...

Don't ask me that, Flere821 (watch it, wilfri) was the one who did that.

Hopefully Js06 will get there soon, because I'll prefer to work on the earlier novels (some fans are pushing me for this...)
Old 2011-02-05, 11:41   Link #7616
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Actually I find both to be equally important.
I didn't say they weren't important. But personally speaking, I cleared up a lot of myths I had; in the past I frequently nit-picked on anime subs for using different words or not translating accurately, but after doing some translation work myself, I realized that many a times, flow is really more important than accuracy. That being said, I guess my original point could be more easily understood by people who actively translates. Also realistically speaking, it's hard to be equally proficient in two or more languages because of usage habits. We need to be proficient in both, and one could translate both ways but stronger in the target language will prove more effortless than the other way round, that's what I meant, not that you can suck in the source language. Well, either way, it's not effortless.

Quote:

Because we are doing it for fun, and for free. It's not work. It can be drudgery to translate stuff we're not interested in.

Last edited by larethian; 2011-02-05 at 11:56.
Old 2011-02-05, 12:09   Link #7617
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I didn't say they weren't important. But personally speaking, I cleared up a lot of myths I had; in the past I frequently nit-picked on anime subs for using different words or not translating accurately, but after doing some translation work myself, I realized that many a times, flow is really more important than accuracy. That being said, I guess my original point could be more easily understood by people who actively translates. Also realistically speaking, it's hard to be equally proficient in two or more languages because of usage habits. We need to be proficient in both, and one could translate both ways but stronger in the target language will prove more effortless than the other way round, that's what I meant, not that you can suck in the source language. Well, either way, it's not effortless.

True, what I meant was if I can understand the source but cannot find a proper English word to sub it with, I can go the long way. May sound clunky but better than nothing.

And yes, actively subbing a language into another is not easy.....not easy at all. Takes a hell load of patience.
Old 2011-02-05, 13:18   Link #7618
larethian

that's along the lines of what I meant: composition comes after comprehension. so it'll be tougher for EvilSamurai's friend to translate Japanese to English, given that he's Japanese, but easier the other way round, since he's more used to composing Japanese sentences. and the problem you mentioned can be overcome with good editors with good composition skills, plus experience and reading other people's translations.
Old 2011-02-05, 13:19   Link #7619
Ashaman

Quote:
Hopefully Js06 will get there soon, because I'll prefer to work on the earlier novels (some fans are pushing me for this...)
Hmm, how should I ask this without sounding dickish? Meh, I'll just come right out and ask.

When is vol 16 going to be finished? There's not much left, and what is left probably isn't that great, but it seems sort of weird for it to be left just short of complete.

Or is someone else working on it?

Sorry if that came off badly, but I'm curious.

Thank you for your hard work, really appreciate it.
Old 2011-02-05, 13:30   Link #7620
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Very true, the people around Index always will protect her but they're not close to her to ease her grief. Her only friend super-angel-Hyouka but she only can manifest on Academy City by a limited time.

EPIC PLOT TWIST: Aogami's last name is Kihara.
Who the hell would have kiharas babies?
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen