AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: Is marriage a civil right?
Yes 257 75.15%
No 85 24.85%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-01-11, 13:51   Link #1001
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm transgendered, it was about my gender identity as well, and as I'm still in the process of transitioning, I don't pass absolutely perfectly (my voice is the worst giveaway).
Old 2010-01-11, 20:44   Link #1002
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
That's a tough situation to be in. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I don't really know what to say to that one. :/
Old 2010-01-11, 23:34   Link #1003
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
That's a tough situation to be in. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I don't really know what to say to that one. :/
It's not as bad now that I live in California again, but other things are worse. Cost of living is ridiculous in the Bay Area and politically I agree with almost no one who lives here!

A lesbian, trans girl who isn't staunchly left-wing, who is in fact the complete opposite... kinda puts me out from the group, even the LGBT folks, especially here in Berkeley!

Due to my unemployed status and the general nature of the economy, I'm also forced to live off of general assistance (basically, welfare) and with my socio-political beliefs, this really doesn't sit well with me. I feel terrible all the time; I feel guilty, I feel like a leech. It's a miserable feeling.

Even though I know a lot of the economic problems are related to the bailouts, the bad banks and all that, it still doesn't sit well with me. Even though I know it's not my fault, I still can't help but feel bad that I'm not able to support myself.
Old 2010-01-12, 00:35   Link #1004
justinstrife

I applaud you for your efforts and doing your best given the situation you're in. I don't know how I would deal if I were in your shoes. All I can do, is pray that things get better for you, and that you get to where you want to be socially, academically, professionally, etc.

I can't relate in almost anyway with you. So it makes it difficult to imagine everything you're going through. Your situation is not good though and I wish there was something I could do to improve it. Nothing I say can comfort you though, and I'm conflicted between my far right beliefs, and wishing no harm and only success for others, as well as their finding happiness, no matter how different or the same they are to me. -messes up his hair frustratingly- I don't really know what to say. I'm sorry synaes.
Old 2010-01-15, 18:29   Link #1005
psycho_luny
close to insanity
*Author

Send a message via MSN to psycho_luny
since i don't give a damm about people around me, i would let them marry, as long they don't bother me i'm okay with it.
and the hell with other problems, you only have problems if you give a damm about anything. just let go of everything and live by the day and just have fun.
cause no matter how deep in shit you are, it isn't bad as long as you don't give damm about it and have fun.
Old 2010-01-16, 14:36   Link #1006
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

they said on the daily show that the main problem is that their Cramming their problem down the goverment's throats. you can change the rules and laws but you cant change people's opinions and hatred of people. even if they law was made there will be problems such as redicule and hate, even hate crimes. like "lets go brick that gay couples house"
Old 2010-01-16, 16:21   Link #1007
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

That's why a lot of gay-rights activist groups were opposed to the federal lawsuit against Proposition 8.

They're afraid of backlash if it succeeds and Prop 8 is overturned. The LGBT groups are scared to death that there will be a wave of violence against homosexuals and transgendered people if the federal court case succeeds.
Old 2010-01-16, 20:21   Link #1008
justinstrife

I highly doubt you would see a huge wave of violence. You might see pockets of it as there are extremists that would do something.

You would also see a backlash on the Federal Court System for interfering in a state issue.
Old 2010-01-16, 21:07   Link #1009
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The whole thing's a mess anyway. The government has no business being involved, in any way, shape or form in a religious binding ritual (marriage).

Change the legal procedure's name to "civil union" regardless of the orientation. The fundies won't have a leg to stand on at that point; their entire argument against same-sex marriage hinges upon the word "marriage."

Throw the word out for everyone and relegate "marriage" back to a religious binding ritual and everyone's happy. Well, except the fundies, who don't want gay people to have any rights--who mostly don't want us to even exist. They won't be happy, but they won't have a position to argue from any longer.
Old 2010-01-16, 21:30   Link #1010
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... the "state" should never have been involved in "marriage" to begin with - (separation of church and state). It should have always been labeled "civil union" and let each religion call it whatever floats their boat.

However... here's a fine example of how odd the discussion can be: in the UK (where they have civil unions that equal the same rights as marriage), a heterosexual couple is fighting to be in a "civil union" rather than a "marriage" because UK law only permits civil unions for same-sex couples. Head spinning, hurts....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...il-partnership
Old 2010-01-16, 22:06   Link #1011
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Thanks, Vexx. You just succeeded in breaking my brain with that. O.o;;;

Edit: I do have to admit that it's the most creative protest I've ever seen against same-sex union rights inequalities.
Old 2010-01-16, 22:26   Link #1012
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

That UK case makes almost no sense whatsoever.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 22:29   Link #1013
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
That UK case makes almost no sense whatsoever.
The couple is protesting the fact that heterosexual marriage and homosexual civil partnership do not confer the same legal rights, so they don't want to get married and offer tacit approval of this discrimination.
Old 2010-02-26, 08:51   Link #1014
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
While in the West, homosexuals are fighting to have similar legal rights as hetrosexuals, in other parts of the world, they are legally fighting for their very lives..
Quote:
Online human rights group Avaaz is urgently collecting signatures protesting an anti-gay bill currently before the Ugandan parliament.
There has been growing international condemnation of Uganda’s proposed anti-gay laws which would severely punish Ugandan homosexuals with prison or even execution.
The bill also seeks prison sentences for those seen to be protecting gay people and those working in the HIV health sector for “promoting homosexuality”.
If passed, Uganda would have some of the harshest anti-gay legislation in the world.
Online advocacy group Avaaz.org said 260,000 people around the world have already signed the petition protesting the bill. The petition will be delivered to Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni and the Ugandan Parliament at the end of this week.
Human rights groups have expressed concern that, despite international pressure, the bill may still pass in the coming days.
Ugandan gay rights advocate Frank Mugisha said, if passed, the laws would put local gay citizens in serious danger.
“Please, sign the petition and tell others to stand with us — if there’s a huge global response, our government will see that Uganda will be internationally isolated by the proposed law, and strike it down.”
The group is aiming for 1,000,000 signatures.

info: Sign the petition at ww.avaaz.org/en/uganda_rights_2/?vl
Being gay in China (from the sexuality thread)
Just to add a little international flavour (since we are on the internet) for similar issues and to open your minds outside of the world that you know once in a while.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 09:03   Link #1015
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Came across this a few days back . An interesting step forward in terms of theater . Some times it good to focus on the positive than negative . A breath of sunshine and fresh air anyone .
Old 2010-03-04, 16:26   Link #1016
Nosauz

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc...g_pantheon.php
do as I say, don't do as I do. The irony of the situation is what makes me smile, I mean you really can't come up with this stuff.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 23:52   Link #1017
TsumeBlue
Silver-Eyed Slayer

Something I don't understand about Civil unions. If it's just marriage by another name, why not just call it marriage and extend the 1,138 something odd rights marriage includes to gay people? I mean, why call it something else if we already have something like it on the books? It just seems like another means by which to keep gay people at arm's length and at second rate status.
TsumeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 04:36   Link #1018
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsumeBlue View Post
Something I don't understand about Civil unions. If it's just marriage by another name, why not just call it marriage and extend the 1,138 something odd rights marriage includes to gay people? I mean, why call it something else if we already have something like it on the books? It just seems like another means by which to keep gay people at arm's length and at second rate status.
It's more than marriage by another name. It allows people from other countries as well with civil unions to be granted same rights as natives in a country, as well as being easily 'transferrable' should a homosexual couple of different nationalities marry.
Also initially, homosexuals were complaining about being in long lasting relationships but not being granted citizen/civil rights of joint mortages, joint bank accounts, being next of kin legally, (basically, all the legal trimmings a married couple would get), which I beleive was the main driving force for the UK to pass the bill 5 years ago.
Marriages typically conducted in church with religious ties don't condone it, so alike a divorcee remarrying, they'd hit the registry office and have a private reception and party but be legally recognised as a couple.
Quote:
A civil union is a legally recognized union similar to marriage. Beginning with Denmark in 1989, civil unions under one name or another have been established by law in many developed countries in order to provide same-sex couples with rights, benefits, and responsibilities similar (in some countries, identical) to opposite-sex civil marriage. In some jurisdictions, such as Quebec, New Zealand, and Uruguay, civil unions are also open to opposite-sex couples.

Most civil-union countries recognize foreign unions if those are essentially equivalent to their own; for example, the United Kingdom lists equivalent unions in Civil Partnership Act Schedule 20.

Supporters of civil unions contend that civil unions grant same-sex couples equal rights to married couples.[1] Some commentators, such as Ian Ayres, are critical of civil unions because they say they represent separate status unequal to marriage ("marriage apartheid").[2][3][4] Others, such as Sean Kosofsky, are critical because they say civil unions endow the same rights and privileges of heterosexual marriages — alleging that they are separate but equal.
Each country is different, so I can only speak for the UK.
But you can have a breeze through at the rest of the article, esp between US and Europe to give ya a better idea :P

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 15:52   Link #1019
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

* 'I do' in DC, Same-sex couples wed in Washington
Old 2010-03-09, 15:57   Link #1020
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
YES!! My gf and I've been watching this since the bill first started going through, we couldn't be happier
And by that I mean literall whoops of glee when it was announced

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, homosexuality, human rights