AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-02, 02:21   Link #1361
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
1. Yuda and Rei's death in Hokuto no Ken, especially Rei's.

2. Iggy?
What?!
Iggyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

3.Sergeant Elias in Platoon.

4. FREEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Spoiler for for Trigun:

6. a real life example, "Shoot, coward! You are only killing a man!"

There are no death more awesome than another kind of death in fiction. It's a matter of how to bring them, the "right mood", the right word, the right music (in series and movies), what the death teaches to the reader and the protagonist. Pre-mortem explosion, kill count and hotblood have nothing to do with it. Even in real life, a couple of people died what would appear an anticlimatic death, but their deeds, their legacy and finally their final words crowned them.

Page claiming in the name of every kinds of tearjerking deaths: Jesus Style, death in childbirth, death for your ideals, smirking "Heh, I did it, b*tch/bastard..." in protagonist's arms kind of death, "Let's eat a last chocolate parfait together when I'll be back" kind of death. All of them.
Old 2009-05-02, 02:41   Link #1362
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Don't forget "I'll get us something warm to drink!"

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-05-02, 03:15   Link #1363
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
I also heavily disagree making someone 'not dead after all' devalues anything the character went through, surely they still remember it all.
'Not dead at all' may not destroy everything (see Clannad, the reset was unexpected, but that did not change that I was crying over and over before) however it would destroy the sense of mortality for the remainder of the series. Rather then fearing for the character, you get the DBZ effect.

"Oh no, Goku died!"

"What, again?"

"Eh, they'll just wish him back with the dragonballs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Agreed. An excellent recent example:

Spoiler for Naruto Spoilers Concerning Recent Chapters:
Spoiler for More Naruto stuff:

Which was also my entire point. You can't pull of a near-death without an actual death. Especially not in a series with a 'nobody important will die' aura like Nanoha.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-05-02 at 07:09.
Old 2009-05-02, 03:20   Link #1364
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Don't forget "I'll get us something warm to drink!"
Let's not forget the "10 times pay back" promise...

And yeah, Clannad made me cry too. But at least it ended all well.
Old 2009-05-02, 04:53   Link #1365
mechdra

In my opinion, if fans desire to have death in this series, Vivio's death will be the best death to cause character development.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Last edited by mechdra; 2009-05-02 at 05:07.
Old 2009-05-02, 09:22   Link #1366
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
'Not dead at all' may not destroy everything (see Clannad, the reset was unexpected, but that did not change that I was crying over and over before) however it would destroy the sense of mortality for the remainder of the series. Rather then fearing for the character, you get the DBZ effect.

"Oh no, Goku died!"

"What, again?"

"Eh, they'll just wish him back with the dragonballs."
I gotta go with Keroko on this one. Bring someone back once and you get *sniffle* "He's okay after all" Bring someone back twice and you get. "...He's okay after all... hurrah" Bring someone back three times and you get. "Oh what you were dead?"
Old 2009-05-02, 09:42   Link #1367
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
yeah dbz was horrible, thats a given

heh my quote wasn't clannad

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-05-02, 13:33   Link #1368
Dri

Send a message via AIM to Dri
When I first found out about StrikerS, it was in an AMV that focused almost entirely on Subaru's berserk episode to the song The Hero Without A Name (Darker Than Black's second opening). From watching it alone, I was persuaded that Ginga was going to die, and that's what got me to watch StrikerS-- and then rewind to the other two seasons.

After seeing that she didn't die at all, I can't say I have a preference. Both ways are acceptable:

in one case, Ginga dies, and Subaru evolves as a character. I could see an ending shot with her holding Blitz Caliber in her hand, clenching it, and looking up to the sky. Battle-hardened, 'not everything always ends well' Subaru rides off to save people with the twin Calibers. It's not a happy ending, but it's not a Bad End either.

in the other case, Ginga doesn't die, and we get what happened in StrikerS. It's no worse or better, it's just a different way to do it. Subaru learns a lesson, just a different one, and she saves her sister in the end. Happy ending, everything always turns out to be OK.

So really-- I can't say I like one more than the other. As a roleplayer I'm a sucker for not always getting happy endings, though, so the first one has its charms. But looking at the way the anime was set up, it would have made no sense to kill off Ginga so abruptly without giving her more screentime to establish her as verily important. The entire tone was save/rescue, not avenge, especially with Vivio in the mix.

Oh, gosh, what have I started, character death discussion in a Nanoha thread? LORD HAVE MERCY. D:

And RE: the discussion above, I couldn't agree more. Series that make death a recurring joke just completely ruin the moment, and then they come up with a 'so dead he can't be revived anymore' method a-la-Goku to keep him out of the story-- but then they retcon that with a super wish! Really you might as well stop killing the characters altogether if you're going to bring them back within the next volume anyway.
Old 2009-05-02, 13:59   Link #1369
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

*cough*lockonstratos*cough*

True, that. Why kill him/her when you can bring him/her back to life in the first place? Just because they could? pftttt

That said, if any character's death would have the biggest impact, I'd say it'd be Fate's. Can you imagine the shitstorm that would be kicked up by the sheer numbers of Fate fanboys? Also, cue Nanoha, Vivio, Hayate, Yuuno and Teana thirsting for blood.

Mhmm.. Bloodthirsty Yuuno... I'd love to see that. Yes, even if it means Fate's death. Time for the guys(other than Touma) to shine. Show them all the power of bondageoffensively used binding spells!
Old 2009-05-02, 14:03   Link #1370
Once and Current Subber

What about making Nanoha/gang the nominal antagonists? The new characters as sympathetic protagonists, who happen to be opposed by the TSAB... You can get a lot of story out of that before the eventual befriending. ;p
Old 2009-05-02, 14:09   Link #1371
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's.... not at all that far fetched, actually.
Old 2009-05-02, 14:12   Link #1372
Dri

Quote:
That's.... not at all that far fetched, actually.
See: StrikerS Sound Stage X. That's basically what they tried doing with Runessa, isn't it?
Old 2009-05-02, 14:17   Link #1373
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, not really. Runessa was more a sympathetic antagonist. But give these three characters a plot that forces them to go against the TSAB (the book must be destroyed, but destroying it would take Lily with it, just to name an example) and we have our new heroes fighting for a just cause while our old heroes are fighting for their just cause.
Old 2009-05-02, 14:20   Link #1374
Dri

Quote:
Hmm, not really. Runessa was more a sympathetic antagonist. But give these three characters a plot that forces them to go against the TSAB (the book must be destroyed, but destroying it would take Lily with it, just to name an example) and we have our new heroes fighting for a just cause while our old heroes are fighting for their just cause.
Well I more meant that they tried making Runessa appear as a good guy for trying to avenge herself for all the nasty stuff the TSAB did to her homeworld. Which would actually make her a decent protagonist if we make the TSAB the antagonists.

Of course it's a matter of time before, if they do that, the two join forces to combat a third, more powerful group. I wonder what that'd be like if Jail and Precia joined forces. An army of cyborg Fate clones! D:
Old 2009-05-02, 14:24   Link #1375
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
For the numbers the only one I would not freak out over them being killed would be Deed. If 7Arcs touches Cinque, blood will be payed. In general I just don't expect it to be a Number that would get killed
Well too bad they can't off sette, too unpopular you know
Old 2009-05-02, 14:30   Link #1376
Dri

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Well too bad they can't off sette, too unpopular you know
Didn't they just jail her forever and ever along with Uno, Tre, Quattro and Jail? Might as well be offed, we'll never get to see her. Unless they bring Jail back as a villain.
Old 2009-05-02, 14:33   Link #1377
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dri View Post
Unless they bring Jail back
Well, seeing how they made Hayate more like in Kimura's doujinshi already...
Old 2009-05-02, 14:54   Link #1378
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I read 7 pages of Nanoha force alredy (don't know if it's the whole number, probably no O_o)

Not the big deal, more like an intro, maybe I'm missing something
Old 2009-05-02, 14:57   Link #1379
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

The prologue is only 8 pages so. The rest is bound in a few months.

Old 2009-05-02, 15:09   Link #1380
Dri

I don't mind a serious Hayate. I'm also not a big fan of BetrayerS because I find it nonsensical that they would split up that way over Nanoha's death, or that they would BAN MAGIC because Nanoha overused it and died. It just seems like a cheap plot device to me-- sorry to any fans of that particular doujin series. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

All that to say I don't mind a serious Hayate-- she was pretty dead serious in StrikerS as it were, especially with unleashing Diabolic Emission like she did. It's not a big stretch that now she actually looks older and has commander experience under her belt.

Pages! Yes, the prologue only had 8. Who knows how many the actual chapters will have; my guess is anywhere between 8 and 24 per month.
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen